Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Friday Question - Will Cook last longer than Hurst? 08:58 - Aug 20 with 1518 viewsblueasfook

He made it til October at least after coming in, ripping apart the team and then losing a lot.

TWTD Veteran
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Friday Question - Will Cook last longer than Hurst? on 09:00 - Aug 20 with 1492 viewsKeno

Good to see you back on form Blueas!!

Showing Fishers just how this should be done

Poll: What the penalty given last night because
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Friday Question - Will Cook last longer than Hurst? on 09:02 - Aug 20 with 1482 viewsblueasfook

Friday Question - Will Cook last longer than Hurst? on 09:00 - Aug 20 by Keno

Good to see you back on form Blueas!!

Showing Fishers just how this should be done

I think there is genuine cause for concern actually. Getting serious Deja Vu with *that* season!

TWTD Veteran

Friday Question - Will Cook last longer than Hurst? on 09:04 - Aug 20 with 1462 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Friday Question - Will Cook last longer than Hurst? on 09:02 - Aug 20 by blueasfook

I think there is genuine cause for concern actually. Getting serious Deja Vu with *that* season!

The ones where in hindsight people said Hurst tried to implement too many changes in a short period of time...

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Friday Question - Will Cook last longer than Hurst? on 09:06 - Aug 20 with 1440 viewsblueasfook

Friday Question - Will Cook last longer than Hurst? on 09:04 - Aug 20 by Marshalls_Mullet

The ones where in hindsight people said Hurst tried to implement too many changes in a short period of time...

Yes that one. And of course, a manager who was out of his depth.

TWTD Veteran

Friday Question - Will Cook last longer than Hurst? on 09:06 - Aug 20 with 1438 viewsKeno

Friday Question - Will Cook last longer than Hurst? on 09:02 - Aug 20 by blueasfook

I don’t actually disagree with you

The one thing that is different is there is a structure in place that wasn’t there before and hopefully a clearer decision making process

I suspect if results don’t change there will be change, I’m not sure how long Cook will get

Poll: What the penalty given last night because
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Friday Question - Will Cook last longer than Hurst? on 09:09 - Aug 20 with 1427 viewsblueasfook

Friday Question - Will Cook last longer than Hurst? on 09:06 - Aug 20 by Keno

I don’t actually disagree with you

The one thing that is different is there is a structure in place that wasn’t there before and hopefully a clearer decision making process

I suspect if results don’t change there will be change, I’m not sure how long Cook will get

I just see a repeat of the Hurst saga at the moment.

Manager comes in. Goes crazy with the transfers. End result : chaos

TWTD Veteran

Friday Question - Will Cook last longer than Hurst? on 09:12 - Aug 20 with 1404 viewsSamWhiteUK

Friday Question - Will Cook last longer than Hurst? on 09:09 - Aug 20 by blueasfook

You don't see the difference in calibre of manager or player, or the difference in plan? I.e. not throw away good players and bring in sh*te, and instead throw out underperforming player and bring in proven ones
Friday Question - Will Cook last longer than Hurst? on 09:19 - Aug 20 with 1359 viewsSteve_M

He's already had longer, he had 16 games last season don't forget.

There are distinct similarities in the results at the moment though.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Login to get fewer ads

Friday Question - Will Cook last longer than Hurst? on 09:21 - Aug 20 with 1343 viewsOwainG1992

I'm sorry but Cook is clearly a better boss than Hurst.
You just need to look at the respective histories.
Keep the faith because these signings are much better than what we were served up post Mick.

Poll: Apologies I'm bored. How many signings will we have by Plymouth at home.

Friday Question - Will Cook last longer than Hurst? on 09:21 - Aug 20 with 1339 viewsberkstractorboy

Friday Question - Will Cook last longer than Hurst? on 09:12 - Aug 20 by SamWhiteUK

You don't see the difference in calibre of manager or player, or the difference in plan? I.e. not throw away good players and bring in sh*te, and instead throw out underperforming player and bring in proven ones

This. I have concerns but I think Cook will be here longer. I am one who needs to show more patience with Cook and the project no matter my frustrations with the results. A change anytime soon still won't take us forward as many players are here as they believe in Cook and his style so its time we all supported that and give it more than 4 games.
Friday Question - Will Cook last longer than Hurst? on 09:22 - Aug 20 with 1337 viewschicoazul

Cook has a little more credit in the bank, having proven himself in this league more than once. Mini Roy was a different thing, rather than sacking all the team he got rid of the best ones and upset the rest.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Friday Question - Will Cook last longer than Hurst? on 09:44 - Aug 20 with 1281 viewsBlueBadger

Strictly speaking, he already HAS lasted longer than Hurst. One thing I'm sure we can be pretty certain of is that he won't last as long as Did You Know I Used To Play For Dortmund And Celtic if he carries on not winning games.
[Post edited 20 Aug 2021 9:45]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Friday Question - Will Cook last longer than Hurst? on 09:51 - Aug 20 with 1259 viewsBlueBadger

Friday Question - Will Cook last longer than Hurst? on 09:22 - Aug 20 by chicoazul

Cook has a little more credit in the bank, having proven himself in this league more than once. Mini Roy was a different thing, rather than sacking all the team he got rid of the best ones and upset the rest.

In all fairness, you *could* argue that Cook's done that as well....
[Post edited 20 Aug 2021 9:52]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Friday Question - Will Cook last longer than Hurst? on 10:02 - Aug 20 with 1222 viewsVic

Friday Question - Will Cook last longer than Hurst? on 09:09 - Aug 20 by blueasfook

The result may be the same as with Hurst, but the situation is very, very different. Cook may not last longer than him if results don’t change, but the longer term dynamic in the club and team are very, very different. As you well know, we now have a club structure in place and the players brought in are of a very different caliber to those Hurst brought in. Should Cook be given the boot I’m confident another manager would be able to do a lot more with this squad. It really is one of the best in the league.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Friday Question - Will Cook last longer than Hurst? on 10:10 - Aug 20 with 1202 viewsTractorFrog

The only two players gone from last year who realistically might have been an upgrade on what we have now are the two who went to play in the championship. And neither of those losses were Cook’s decision; Dozzell had a release clause in his contract from when Lambert was manager, while Downes had wanted to leave since long before Cook arrived. And they are not necessarily better than Evans and Harper anyway. Hurst, on the other hand, got rid of McGoldrick, Waghorn and Garner and replaced them with Harrison and Jackson. The situation looks similar for now, but Cook is clearly bringing in better players and getting rid of lesser players than Hurst did.

They'd all laugh at me if they knew what I was trying to do. To create a new strain of super-wine in half-an-hour with a fraction of nature's resources and a FOOL for an assistant. 'Bernard Black, he's mad,' they'd say, 'he's insane, he's dangerous.' Well I'll show them! I'll show them all!
Poll: What hurt more?

Friday Question - Will Cook last longer than Hurst? on 10:25 - Aug 20 with 1149 viewsHighgateBlue

Friday Question - Will Cook last longer than Hurst? on 10:10 - Aug 20 by TractorFrog

The only two players gone from last year who realistically might have been an upgrade on what we have now are the two who went to play in the championship. And neither of those losses were Cook’s decision; Dozzell had a release clause in his contract from when Lambert was manager, while Downes had wanted to leave since long before Cook arrived. And they are not necessarily better than Evans and Harper anyway. Hurst, on the other hand, got rid of McGoldrick, Waghorn and Garner and replaced them with Harrison and Jackson. The situation looks similar for now, but Cook is clearly bringing in better players and getting rid of lesser players than Hurst did.

It is impossible to state with certainty that Wilson wouldn't have been better than the CBs we have now. He was player of the year, and we've conceded twice as many goals so far as we averaged last season.

But obviously I hope that those he's brought in (a) are all fit at some point, and (b) prove to be an upgrade.
Friday Question - Will Cook last longer than Hurst? on 10:52 - Aug 20 with 1080 viewsdavblue

Friday Question - Will Cook last longer than Hurst? on 10:02 - Aug 20 by Vic

The result may be the same as with Hurst, but the situation is very, very different. Cook may not last longer than him if results don’t change, but the longer term dynamic in the club and team are very, very different. As you well know, we now have a club structure in place and the players brought in are of a very different caliber to those Hurst brought in. Should Cook be given the boot I’m confident another manager would be able to do a lot more with this squad. It really is one of the best in the league.

We have the personnel in place in some key positions, but i would questions whether the structure will have had time to really be put in place at this moment in time with all the changes that have taken place so far. On and off the pitch this is going to take time to really get right, i suspect next summer is when we will hopefully benefit from the changes that are taking place and will take place over the next 9 months or so.
Friday Question - Will Cook last longer than Hurst? on 10:59 - Aug 20 with 1052 viewsIpswichKnight

We are playing better the XG stats show we have been unlucky at both ends with teams scoring 6 goals from 8 shots ( inc penalty) while our own XG for goals should be 2.75. It’s fine margins we missed a penalty to go 2-1 up at Burton and missed an open goal to go 2-0 up at Cheltenham. The luck may change on Saturday and it may not but it doesn’t feel the same as Hurst era.
Friday Question - Will Cook last longer than Hurst? on 11:00 - Aug 20 with 1049 viewsSarge

The difference is that Hurst weakened the squad in every area. This squad on paper is streets ahead of anything we’ve had in League One and, I think, Hurst’s Championship squad. Just need them to click and get that first win.
Friday Question - Will Cook last longer than Hurst? on 11:18 - Aug 20 with 985 viewsHighgateBlue

Friday Question - Will Cook last longer than Hurst? on 09:04 - Aug 20 by Marshalls_Mullet

Indeed so. And Hurst didn't make such wholesale changes. He didn't rip apart a successful central defence for example.
Friday Question - Will Cook last longer than Hurst? on 11:53 - Aug 20 with 935 viewsElephantintheRoom

It's a little more serious than that is it not? Just about every link with Ipswich Town has been forced out of the team and out of the backroom staff - perhaps the least change is in ownership where Evans now owns just as much of the club as the new owners?

We now have the franchise derby where there is probably more Ipswich linked staff at the Milton Keynes franchise than at the Ipswich franchise.

Aside from that Cookie has already had longer than Hurst - but is probably doing even worse, all things considered

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Friday Question - Will Cook last longer than Hurst? on 11:58 - Aug 20 with 916 viewsjayessess

Yes, he will.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024