Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Change too late for this season? 12:13 - Dec 19 with 2690 viewsAlberto_the_frog

Plymouth have the lowest points per game ratio of any side in the play off places. Half way through, they have 40 points, on target to get 80. If we somehow achieve league winning form of 2 points per game from now on, we'd still only end up with 75
Change too late for this season? on 12:15 - Dec 19 with 2093 viewsitfcsuth

Yes, we are so far off the play-offs this year, you can write them off.
Change too late for this season? on 12:23 - Dec 19 with 2061 viewsBlueBadger

Change too late for this season? on 12:15 - Dec 19 by itfcsuth

No more free hits.
Treating the end of the season like it doesn't matter is who we ended up getting relegated. How we ended up getting marooned in the third division. How we went from the cusp pf the playoffs to mired in mid table. Free hits = complacency. We should be going all out, regardless of how unlikely it looks right now - at the very least, the instilling of a proper winning mentality would stand us in good stead for the following season.

F**k free hits. We shouldn't be that club any more.
[Post edited 19 Dec 2021 14:41]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Change too late for this season? on 13:01 - Dec 19 with 1943 viewsitfcsuth

Change too late for this season? on 12:23 - Dec 19 by BlueBadger

No more free hits.
Treating the end of the season like it doesn't matter is who we ended up getting relegated. How we ended up getting marooned in the third division. How we went from the cusp pf the playoffs to mired in mid table. Free hits = complacency. We should be going all out, regardless of how unlikely it looks right now - at the very least, the instilling of a proper winning mentality would stand us in good stead for the following season.

I’m not saying we shouldn’t be looking to see progression over the next 4 or 5 months. But you have to be realistic, play-offs are out of touch now.

Would be nice to climb the table and get closer, but we aren’t going to get in the play-offs this year.
Change too late for this season? on 13:22 - Dec 19 with 1911 viewsStrimmer

No more free hits.

Good god man. OP never suggested a free hit, or implied one. Are you saying that the new manager should be getting us in the playoffs, regardless the points gap OP describes? Unrealistic expectations are as unhelpful as free rides

Poll: Was it a punch?

Change too late for this season? on 13:40 - Dec 19 with 1861 viewshoppy

Change too late for this season? on 13:22 - Dec 19 by Strimmer

Good god man. OP never suggested a free hit, or implied one. Are you saying that the new manager should be getting us in the playoffs, regardless the points gap OP describes? Unrealistic expectations are as unhelpful as free rides

I would say, until it’s mathematically impossible to make the playoffs, then they are not out of reach and that should be our aim. That’s not expectation, that’s the focus and aim. It’s not about free-hits or whatever, it’s taking things by the scruff of the neck, getting real with the players and getting the very best out of them to go for that aim collectively. Until it can’t be done, it can be done, however likely or unlikely it may seem. To achieve it, some points would need to be taken off other challengers, which reduces the number they can achieve too.

COYB

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Change too late for this season? on 13:41 - Dec 19 with 1855 viewsHerbivore

It's going to take one hell of an effort, but I don't think we should write it off entirely just yet. String together a few wins back to back and who knows what might happen? The squad is very talented and we'll likely strengthen in January. We certainly shouldn't be expecting the play offs now given the form it'll take to get there but we have to believe we can make a challenge as well. And if we somehow do make it, nobody will fancy facing us in the form we'll be in.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Change too late for this season? on 14:21 - Dec 19 with 1777 viewsBlueBadger

Change too late for this season? on 13:22 - Dec 19 by Strimmer

The first stage of the free hit is 'writing something off'. Be it chances of staying up or promotion.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Change too late for this season? on 14:34 - Dec 19 with 1736 viewsclive_baker

Feels very unlikely that we’ll get to 80 points which is probably what you’re looking at for playoffs.

That’s 51 points, or 17 wins from 23 games. What I would say in terms of the fixtures though, not all games are born equal and we have had a pretty rough run of fixtures over the end of Cook’s time and McGreal’s 3. We’ve been to Sunderland, Wycombe, Plymouth, Pompey, Wigan already. Now we have a less daunting group of fixtures coming up, and on paper you could argue we could feasibly win 6 or 7 from the next 8, at which point the ask becomes a little more realistic. But our lack of consistency thus far would suggest we’ll finish some way short of the top 6, I would say 70+ points would be a good return from where we are.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Login to get fewer ads

Change too late for this season? on 14:38 - Dec 19 with 1726 viewsGuthrum

What does success look like for McKenna? by Guthrum 18 Dec 2021 23:56
Top six this season? No, not any more. It would take a heck of a managerial job to pull the team together that quickly, get them to the required level of success and sustain it for the rest of the season. Not by any means impossible, but really quite unlikely.

We have to be looking at some sustained improvement by the end of the season, however. Well drilled, confident, winning plenty of games. Looking like an outfit capable of being in the automatic promotion places in May 2023 with little or no adjustment over the summer. Full of players who want to stay here and achieve that.

That's my benchmark, given everything that's happened.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Change too late for this season? on 14:39 - Dec 19 with 1717 viewsIllinoisblue

It’s not impossible but very unlikely given our inability to put any kind of run together. Then again, no cup runs to distract us!

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Change too late for this season? on 14:45 - Dec 19 with 1697 viewsFightingEssex

I don’t understand why some get so upset by saying the best we can do is 75 points and it’s not going to be enough, it’s realistic, the season was sealed when we failed to beat the likes of Morcambe, Cheltenham, Wimbledon and so on. Having two good games against Pompey and Wycombe isn’t enough to get promoted. We all know that but there’s this aggressive attitude towards anyone realistic enough to realise that we practically have to win every game left to stand a chance and we don’t have the squad to do it. Yesterday was positive but there’s going to be teething problems with a new manager who’s going to have to adjust to working with third division footballers with relatively little experience as a manager. He could be a gem, he could be a disaster, we simply do not know.

Poll: Next Ipswich Town manager?

Change too late for this season? on 14:45 - Dec 19 with 1693 viewsNthsuffolkblue

This was the reason that Cook got sacked at this time.

We do need to see progress but not promotion. Promotion this season from here would be a fantastic bonus but cannot be an expectation at all. We do need to see clear signs of progress towards that goal and to hit the ground running next season.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Change too late for this season? on 14:47 - Dec 19 with 1680 viewsGuthrum

No more free hits.

I don't think it would be a free hit. There's a lot of hard work to do between now and the end of the season, whatever. It's just fans (and the owners) cannot start losing their sh1t if we fail to make it into the top six come the end of April, given the present circumstances.

For one thing, McKenna may need a bit of time to assess his squad and work out the best approach. Not four months, but at least a couple of weeks.

We'd also need a lot of help from the current top teams and the chasing pack faltering in their form after Christmas. If they keep going at the pace they are, there's pretty much no way we can overhaul them.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Change too late for this season? on 16:05 - Dec 19 with 1576 viewsBloomBlue

When did Blackpool turn their season around last season, I'm sure it was around this time? Their form was relegation form, even their fans thought avoiding relegation was the only thing left in the season and then around this time they started on an unbeaten run and relegation form was flipped to promotion form and they ended up 3rd.
Change too late for this season? on 16:08 - Dec 19 with 1560 viewsHerbivore

Change too late for this season? on 16:05 - Dec 19 by BloomBlue

When did Blackpool turn their season around last season, I'm sure it was around this time? Their form was relegation form, even their fans thought avoiding relegation was the only thing left in the season and then around this time they started on an unbeaten run and relegation form was flipped to promotion form and they ended up 3rd.

They'd already had a good run by now, then a brief dip, then started a sustained good run. Their start was bad but thereafter they were good.

Change too late for this season? on 16:15 - Dec 19 with 1528 viewshoppy

Change too late for this season? on 16:05 - Dec 19 by BloomBlue

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020—21_Blackpool_F.C._season

Change too late for this season? on 16:15 - Dec 19 with 1527 viewsWakh

Change too late for this season? on 16:08 - Dec 19 by Herbivore

They'd already had a good run by now, then a brief dip, then started a sustained good run. Their start was bad but thereafter they were good.

Looking back, it looks like they were about 6-points better off at this stage last season than we are now.
Change too late for this season? on 16:20 - Dec 19 with 1509 viewsVic

That is assuming all the teams current in the play off places continue their present form, and that the other chasing teams do as well or better than us.

On the other hand it also assumes that we will actually have the long hoped for upturn in form and consistency. Sadly I’ve lost hope that this will happen. I do think that KM has every chance of gradually improving us, and that by the end of the season we will have the style and cohesion we need for next season.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Change too late for this season? on 16:22 - Dec 19 with 1498 viewshoppy

Change too late for this season? on 16:15 - Dec 19 by Wakh

Looking back, it looks like they were about 6-points better off at this stage last season than we are now.

After Matchday 23, where we are now, they were 12th in the table, they then lost match 24 and dipped to 13th.

Change too late for this season? on 16:22 - Dec 19 with 1497 viewsWakh

Change too late for this season? on 16:20 - Dec 19 by Vic

That is assuming all the teams current in the play off places continue their present form, and that the other chasing teams do as well or better than us.

On the other hand it also assumes that we will actually have the long hoped for upturn in form and consistency. Sadly I’ve lost hope that this will happen. I do think that KM has every chance of gradually improving us, and that by the end of the season we will have the style and cohesion we need for next season.

Think Plymouth will drop away but cant see the other 5 in the top 6 faltering too much
Change too late for this season? on 16:31 - Dec 19 with 1469 viewsEricsGate

Change too late for this season? on 16:22 - Dec 19 by Wakh

Think Plymouth will drop away but cant see the other 5 in the top 6 faltering too much

We need to try to progress to 8th in the table by mid February and then kick on.....
Grown confidence
Better set up tactically
A few new signings
This will bring belief, and with belief anything is possible

COYB 💙🤍💙🤍💙

Poll: Positive or Negative towards Paul Cook..,?

Change too late for this season? on 16:41 - Dec 19 with 1438 viewsKropotkin123

Nope, I'm not writing them off. I don't expect them. But I know it is possible.

Just look a Aston Villa, when they changed their manager in their last promotion season. They won 10 games in a row, made the play-offs and won it.

There is no reason why we can't be the next statistical anomaly. We have some good players. We have a transfer window and we have the support. Just need the manager to land on his feet.
[Post edited 19 Dec 2021 16:43]

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Change too late for this season? on 16:45 - Dec 19 with 1410 viewsJon_456

Change too late for this season? on 14:34 - Dec 19 by clive_baker

Feels very unlikely that we’ll get to 80 points which is probably what you’re looking at for playoffs.

That’s 51 points, or 17 wins from 23 games. What I would say in terms of the fixtures though, not all games are born equal and we have had a pretty rough run of fixtures over the end of Cook’s time and McGreal’s 3. We’ve been to Sunderland, Wycombe, Plymouth, Pompey, Wigan already. Now we have a less daunting group of fixtures coming up, and on paper you could argue we could feasibly win 6 or 7 from the next 8, at which point the ask becomes a little more realistic. But our lack of consistency thus far would suggest we’ll finish some way short of the top 6, I would say 70+ points would be a good return from where we are.

Last few seasons points for 6th place

2021 - 74
2020 - 60 (35 games)
2019 - 73
2018 - 71
2017 - 73
2016 - 74
2015 - 69

Excluding Covid hit season, 6th placed team has finished on an average of 72.3points so this theory that we need 80 points is ridiculous.

Realistically we need 45 points from a possible 69. With this squad that should be achievable.
Change too late for this season? on 16:46 - Dec 19 with 1411 viewstextbackup

i think we are gonna have a new manager bounce, why, i dont know..... just think its our time to have one.

win like 4 on the bounce, if we do that, gets us right back in the frame

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Change too late for this season? on 16:48 - Dec 19 with 1393 viewsHerbivore

Change too late for this season? on 16:45 - Dec 19 by Jon_456

Last few seasons points for 6th place

2021 - 74
2020 - 60 (35 games)
2019 - 73
2018 - 71
2017 - 73
2016 - 74
2015 - 69

Excluding Covid hit season, 6th placed team has finished on an average of 72.3points so this theory that we need 80 points is ridiculous.

Realistically we need 45 points from a possible 69. With this squad that should be achievable.

I don't think 74 points will do it this year, 80 is likely an overestimate as Plymouth's for is already dipping, but I reckon it may take 77 or 78 points.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024