Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bye bye Boris… 21:19 - Jan 1 with 12305 viewsElderGrizzly

Bye bye Boris… on 21:21 - Jan 1 with 4259 viewsBlueBadger

Pffft. Leading in polls is for Red Tories. A REAL leader would be behind by a double figure percentage.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Bye bye Boris… on 21:22 - Jan 1 with 4248 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Isn't that the problem?

At some point they will remove Johnson, appoint another leader and the electorate will see all the bad things as Johnson rather than the Conservative Party.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Bye bye Boris… on 21:25 - Jan 1 with 4209 viewsfooters

Bye bye Boris… on 21:21 - Jan 1 by BlueBadger

Pffft. Leading in polls is for Red Tories. A REAL leader would be behind by a double figure percentage.

I think your dogging on actually progressive leftist politics is a bit weird, tbh. I understand the pragmatism angle and the dislike for Corbyn, but why go in on people who want much the same (if not more) as you?

Koonters gets the most unwarranted stick on here and I really don't get it. He's spot on with most of what he says, imo. That he has the patience to politely defend his position time and again is mind-boggling to me.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Bye bye Boris… on 21:26 - Jan 1 with 4190 viewsElderGrizzly

Bye bye Boris… on 21:22 - Jan 1 by Nthsuffolkblue

Isn't that the problem?

At some point they will remove Johnson, appoint another leader and the electorate will see all the bad things as Johnson rather than the Conservative Party.

Well yeah, that is likely to be a problem.

The only saving grace is Truss is even more incompetent
Bye bye Boris… on 21:34 - Jan 1 with 4111 viewsSwansea_Blue

Bye bye Boris… on 21:25 - Jan 1 by footers

I think your dogging on actually progressive leftist politics is a bit weird, tbh. I understand the pragmatism angle and the dislike for Corbyn, but why go in on people who want much the same (if not more) as you?

Koonters gets the most unwarranted stick on here and I really don't get it. He's spot on with most of what he says, imo. That he has the patience to politely defend his position time and again is mind-boggling to me.

Tbh, any sort of dogging is a bit weird.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Bye bye Boris… on 21:36 - Jan 1 with 4084 viewsfooters

Bye bye Boris… on 21:34 - Jan 1 by Swansea_Blue

Tbh, any sort of dogging is a bit weird.

Oh I dunno, who doesn't want to see Tracy from the local getting done doggy-style by Dave the plasterer over the bonnet of a Mondeo?

Bye bye Boris… on 21:39 - Jan 1 with 4055 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Bye bye Boris… on 21:26 - Jan 1 by ElderGrizzly

Incompetence does not equate to lack of electability as we have repeatedly seen.

I suspect that Patel, Gove and a few others would be as likely to be next leader as Truss. There are far worse options than simply incompetent.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Bye bye Boris… on 21:41 - Jan 1 with 4036 viewsBlueBadger

I'm not dogging on progressive politics, just the weird insistence that the Labour Party's equivalent of Paul Lambert somehow was doing a good job.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

Bye bye Boris… on 21:41 - Jan 1 with 4037 viewsEdwardStone

Bye bye Boris… on 21:26 - Jan 1 by ElderGrizzly

She seems utterly without charm or intelligence; if she were chose to succeed The Albino Piglet I doubt she would last long

On a side note, I was mixing up dough for my weekly bread baking

The shapeless pasty white blob in the mixing bowl bore a striking resemblance to Truss's face
Bye bye Boris… on 21:42 - Jan 1 with 4030 viewstractordownsouth

I'd wager the real lead is much less because a lot of the polling changes have come about due to Tories moving to "don't know" rather than them all coming over to Labour, but it's a positive nonetheless. They'll probably still manage to be at minimum the largest party next time due to the scale of their last victory and the number of previously-marginal areas they now have 5 figure majorities in but they've got problems on quite a few fronts in the short term.

1) The short term economic factors of inflation, utility bills going up and the NI rise are going to hit all electoral demographics. The NI rise has managed to protect their key vote but without the pension triple lock even the elderly will be feeling the pinch.

2) The North Shropshire result shows they have real issues in their rural areas. A lot of that has been down to dissatisfaction with the Brexit deal for farmers - it's the same with the Fishermen down in Cornwall as well. I saw a Tweet saying that the Farmer's Weekly magazine did a poll putting Tory support among farmers at only 50%, compared to 70%. North Shropshire will probably go blue again in the General Election but the fact that even rural leave areas are willing to vote Lib Dem means places like St Ives or Brecon could be in trouble for them.

3) The Lib Dem problem is only going to get worse in the suburban marginals now that Keir Starmer is the Labour leader. Regardless of whether or not you think he's done well, he doesn't scare the stereotypical middle-class remain voting centrist liberal into voting Tory in these Tory-Lib Dem marginals in order to keep Labour out like Corbyn did. I struggle to see how they'll hold seats like Esher (Dominic Raab) or Winchester without being able to play the Corbyn card.

3) The quality of candidates for the leadership is really poor. Out of the cabinet, Sajid Javid would probably be the most effective but I can't see the membership choosing him - he didn't come close last time and hasn't done enough to appeal to the base, especially with things like vaccine passports. Liz Truss just comes across like a weird David Brent tribute act and once you leave aside the PR photoshoots and put her on the campaign trail she'd struggle the way Theresa May did.
Rishi Sunak is okay but he has the same problem as Truss, his instincts are Thatcherite and while this appeals to the Tory members, it's probably not going to help them keep hold of the voters they won in 2019. I can't see him going down the culture war route either.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Bye bye Boris… on 21:44 - Jan 1 with 3992 viewsjeera

Bye bye Boris… on 21:39 - Jan 1 by Nthsuffolkblue

Incompetence does not equate to lack of electability as we have repeatedly seen.

I suspect that Patel, Gove and a few others would be as likely to be next leader as Truss. There are far worse options than simply incompetent.

Gove is too ugly to be paraded as PM.

Truss is too openly idiotic, plus something about cheese.

The worrying one is Patel, she is just about horrible enough to appeal to the core vote whilst being able to disguise her own stupidity with such conviction that those too lazy, (or just too plain busy) to see won't notice.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Bye bye Boris… on 21:46 - Jan 1 with 3982 viewsElderGrizzly

Bye bye Boris… on 21:44 - Jan 1 by jeera

The worrying one is Patel, she is just about horrible enough to appeal to the core vote whilst being able to disguise her own stupidity with such conviction that those too lazy, (or just too plain busy) to see won't notice.

Truss is the favourite amongst Tory members apparently, closely followed by Sunak.

Patel simply doesn’t have the support
Bye bye Boris… on 21:48 - Jan 1 with 3963 viewsSitfcB

Surely counts for nothing until the next GE.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Bye bye Boris… on 21:48 - Jan 1 with 3953 viewsjeera

Bye bye Boris… on 21:46 - Jan 1 by ElderGrizzly

Truss is the favourite amongst Tory members apparently, closely followed by Sunak.

Patel simply doesn’t have the support

Then it should be fine.

Enough rope and all that.

All we need now is a credible party in direct competition and we're on our way out of this mess.

Hmm.

Bye bye Boris… on 21:49 - Jan 1 with 3930 viewsfooters

Bye bye Boris… on 21:41 - Jan 1 by BlueBadger

I'm not dogging on progressive politics, just the weird insistence that the Labour Party's equivalent of Paul Lambert somehow was doing a good job.

As I've said from day one, forget the man, focus on the policies.

No one could disagree that Corbyn himself was an electoral failure but his policies were actually progressive. We need more of that now and less of the reversion to Blairism which will only exacerbate the continuing issues the country faces. I don't think Starmer's the answer.

Anything but the Tories is good, but we should aim higher than that.

Bye bye Boris… on 21:54 - Jan 1 with 3905 viewsElderGrizzly

Bye bye Boris… on 21:48 - Jan 1 by SitfcB

Surely counts for nothing until the next GE.

It counts as it is part of a targeted campaign of data and leaks by senior Tories to remove the PM.

And the next GE could be much sooner if the Tories get their way to abolish the fixed parliament act.
Bye bye Boris… on 21:55 - Jan 1 with 3882 viewsZXBlue

Hes not spot on. He is barking. He undermines the only real prospect of any change, in favour of chasing changes which have no prospect of happening.
Bye bye Boris… on 21:55 - Jan 1 with 3873 viewsazuremerlangus

Bye bye Boris… on 21:44 - Jan 1 by jeera

They appear to have nobody who is an obvious candidate to steady the ship.

Times like this I miss a level-headed speech from Ken Clark.

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

Bye bye Boris… on 21:58 - Jan 1 with 3853 viewsDubtractor

I have no beef with koonters, but if we're being honest he does spend a fair bit of time on here having a pop at centrists, or 'soft left' voters, as effectively being the enemy, so it shouldn't be too much of a surprise that some people have a poke back?

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Bye bye Boris… on 21:59 - Jan 1 with 3835 viewsSitfcB

Bye bye Boris… on 21:54 - Jan 1 by ElderGrizzly

It counts as it is part of a targeted campaign of data and leaks by senior Tories to remove the PM.

And the next GE could be much sooner if the Tories get their way to abolish the fixed parliament act.

Can’t wait for another corruptly inept Tory to take over.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Bye bye Boris… on 22:01 - Jan 1 with 3814 viewsfooters

Bye bye Boris… on 21:55 - Jan 1 by ZXBlue

Hes not spot on. He is barking. He undermines the only real prospect of any change, in favour of chasing changes which have no prospect of happening.

But the point is there won't be any meaningful change under a New Labour-style government. Sure, Labour will be in power but it will be the same sticking plasters over the same structural issues that have plagued us for fifty years.

The 21st Century is throwing up some extremely serious challenges and 'third way' Blairism is not a solution to any of it.

Bye bye Boris… on 22:01 - Jan 1 with 3819 viewstractordownsouth

Bye bye Boris… on 21:54 - Jan 1 by ElderGrizzly

I think the election will be Winter 2022 if they get a new leader and a bounce, if not I think it'll be Winter 2023.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Bye bye Boris… on 22:01 - Jan 1 with 3799 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Politely?

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Bye bye Boris… on 22:03 - Jan 1 with 3787 viewsjeera

Bye bye Boris… on 21:55 - Jan 1 by ZXBlue

On the contrary all Darth ever says on this is that he wants someone to come to the fore who is prepared to lay their plans out and stand by their convictions.

Instead of playing to the crowd in order to get elected.

I don't know how or why that gets twisted the way it does.

Darth's real fault here is that he wants to give the electorate too much credit and he is an idealist in the sense that he still believes that presented with the morally correct options they might actually buy into it.

He's wrong on that count of course. People generally aren't that thoughtful.

Bye bye Boris… on 22:04 - Jan 1 with 3780 viewsfooters

Bye bye Boris… on 21:58 - Jan 1 by Dubtractor

I have no beef with koonters, but if we're being honest he does spend a fair bit of time on here having a pop at centrists, or 'soft left' voters, as effectively being the enemy, so it shouldn't be too much of a surprise that some people have a poke back?

Tbf, Dubbers, many of the posts he replies to are from Badger, Glasgow and others who all have an axe to grind and purposely yank his chain for a response.

I'm glad he's happy to defend his corner because it's something I mostly believe in too. I just don't want to put up with the same grief he does.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024