Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
ITFC Goalkeepers... 11:32 - Jun 1 with 1426 viewsitfcjoe

.....just noted this in Phil's write up of the end of season survey:

Christian Walton looks to be the best keeper Town have had since Richard Wright, dare we say it, even better than Bartosz Bialkowski

Feels very premature, after 3 POTY awards in a Championship side.

Hopefully CW does continue to look good, but a long way to go for me

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

ITFC Goalkeepers... on 11:42 - Jun 1 with 1346 viewsyesjohn99

Let’s hope he doesn’t give up in October.
ITFC Goalkeepers... on 11:45 - Jun 1 with 1340 viewsPhilTWTD

Put it out there for precisely this discussion. Walton looks a better all-round keeper on what we've seen up to now, but as you say Bart was outstanding over a number of seasons (and has carried that on at Millwall).
ITFC Goalkeepers... on 11:46 - Jun 1 with 1323 viewsN2_Blue

I think Phil is spot on and not premature. Christian Walton is a far better keep than Bart imo, last season and in seasons before elsewhere. Bart was good in a side that needed him and he was kept busy and i think that helped him win the POTY awards because we were pretty dire.

CW makes those crucial saves even when not having much to do in some games.

But it is the composure and ability with ball in the air that makes CW a better keeper. Bart wasn't that great with crosses and still isn't at Millwall.

CW is as good a keeper i've seen Town have with crosses (i.e. last 30 years)

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

ITFC Goalkeepers... on 11:46 - Jun 1 with 1321 viewschicoazul

It’s almost as if hyperbole is all we have left now. Walton is better than Bart! Edmundson is better than Chambers! Woolf is the best young defender outside the PL!
I was very positive last season with a few games to go but the way we disintegrated in those games has left me very pessimistic indeed.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

ITFC Goalkeepers... on 11:47 - Jun 1 with 1315 viewsN2_Blue

ITFC Goalkeepers... on 11:45 - Jun 1 by PhilTWTD

Put it out there for precisely this discussion. Walton looks a better all-round keeper on what we've seen up to now, but as you say Bart was outstanding over a number of seasons (and has carried that on at Millwall).

Personally, i think you are spot on Phil.

ITFC Goalkeepers... on 11:54 - Jun 1 with 1269 viewsitfcjoe

Bart was a top Championship GK, and whilst parts of Waltons game make it look like he may have a higher ceiling he still has a long way to go for me.

Bart has been Player of the Year in 5 of last 6 seasons in the Championship, been to a World Cup and won Golden Gloves award in 2nd tier.

If surveys weren't anonymised you'd have seen that I voted Walton as best signing ahead of Burns who I made POTY though as think he si so important a signing

ITFC Goalkeepers... on 11:56 - Jun 1 with 1258 viewsitfcjoe

ITFC Goalkeepers... on 11:46 - Jun 1 by N2_Blue

I think Phil is spot on and not premature. Christian Walton is a far better keep than Bart imo, last season and in seasons before elsewhere. Bart was good in a side that needed him and he was kept busy and i think that helped him win the POTY awards because we were pretty dire.

But it is the composure and ability with ball in the air that makes CW a better keeper. Bart wasn't that great with crosses and still isn't at Millwall.

A bit revisionist to state Bart was good in a poor side to win POTY award when we finished 7th in the Championship after just finishing 11th in league 1....

ITFC Goalkeepers... on 12:01 - Jun 1 with 1226 viewsBiGDonnie

I think Walton is better than Bart.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

ITFC Goalkeepers... on 12:05 - Jun 1 with 1206 viewsPhilTWTD

ITFC Goalkeepers... on 11:54 - Jun 1 by itfcjoe

Bart was a top Championship GK, and whilst parts of Waltons game make it look like he may have a higher ceiling he still has a long way to go for me.

Bart has been Player of the Year in 5 of last 6 seasons in the Championship, been to a World Cup and won Golden Gloves award in 2nd tier.

If surveys weren't anonymised you'd have seen that I voted Walton as best signing ahead of Burns who I made POTY though as think he si so important a signing

All fair points and I was commenting on what we've seen up to now and the potential for that higher ceiling. Don't get me wrong, big fan of Bart and he has had a terrific few years when you spell it out like that.
ITFC Goalkeepers... on 12:05 - Jun 1 with 1197 viewsJakeITFC

I’d personally have Walton as a better keeper just from the eye test, but you are obviously right that he has achieved nothing like the stuff that Bart has done since he signed for us.

Do think a lot of goalkeeping success is down to being at the right club at the right time - so many good goalkeepers in this country but only 92 starting spots in the league. When you see the likes of Hart, Forster, Butland etc. just bobbing around to be a backup somewhere you realise how hard it is to get a starting role.
ITFC Goalkeepers... on 12:08 - Jun 1 with 1184 viewsN2_Blue

ITFC Goalkeepers... on 11:56 - Jun 1 by itfcjoe

A bit revisionist to state Bart was good in a poor side to win POTY award when we finished 7th in the Championship after just finishing 11th in league 1....

I'm not talking about the current side and comparing now with Bart's time is academic

We were a poor side in the Championship the majority of the time Bart was with us, specifically the latter years.
Had CW been in gaol those season or any half competent GK they wold have had a chance of winning POTY because we really had little else and they would have had plenty of action.

Anyway i'm not trying to put Bart down, he was excellent for us in some pretty dire times but IMO Walton is a much better keeper. I'd pick CW over Bart every day of the week.

ITFC Goalkeepers... on 12:09 - Jun 1 with 1174 viewsSitfcB

Bart was overrated and shouldn’t have won 3 POTY awards in a row but who else was there? Think I only voted for him on the first one.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

ITFC Goalkeepers... on 12:25 - Jun 1 with 1092 viewsHighgateBlue

I agree that it's very difficult to make that. call yet, but in time it may turn out to be true. I'm just not sure you can judge on the basis of games in League One. However, when it was becoming obvious that Hladky was a big disappointment, and many of of were clamouring for a replacement, we could not have reasonably wished for anyone better than Walton had turned out to be. Clearly good enough to shine in this league and the one above.

Now if only we could find a striker or two of whom that were true...
ITFC Goalkeepers... on 12:32 - Jun 1 with 1053 viewsjudespiveyg

ITFC Goalkeepers... on 11:56 - Jun 1 by itfcjoe

Bit questionable whether he actually deserved it 15/16 given he only played maybe 25 games, Tommy Smith always felt like the more obvious choice. Following season though had Bart had even an average season Ipswich would have been playing League One football in 17/18. Good keeper, excellent shot stopper, bit meh on crosses though which didn't help considering Knudsen and Spence allowed so many to enter the box. Too early to say if Walton's better imo, and in any case I have concerns about his distribution, which is something Hladky very much has him beat at

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

ITFC Goalkeepers... on 12:39 - Jun 1 with 1011 viewsBiGDonnie

ITFC Goalkeepers... on 12:32 - Jun 1 by judespiveyg

Bit questionable whether he actually deserved it 15/16 given he only played maybe 25 games, Tommy Smith always felt like the more obvious choice. Following season though had Bart had even an average season Ipswich would have been playing League One football in 17/18. Good keeper, excellent shot stopper, bit meh on crosses though which didn't help considering Knudsen and Spence allowed so many to enter the box. Too early to say if Walton's better imo, and in any case I have concerns about his distribution, which is something Hladky very much has him beat at

Knudsen, he really was a sh*tter but loved by loads on here. TWTD

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

ITFC Goalkeepers... on 12:45 - Jun 1 with 978 viewsNthQldITFC

ITFC Goalkeepers... on 11:46 - Jun 1 by N2_Blue

I'd go with that precisely, and add that he seems to be very composed and calm, a trait he shares with back three actually. They work well together.

Edit: you already said he was composed, so pardon me.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2022 13:00]

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

ITFC Goalkeepers... on 12:49 - Jun 1 with 960 viewsChrisd

ITFC Goalkeepers... on 11:54 - Jun 1 by itfcjoe

Certainly fair in what you're saying and its hard to disagree with Bart's level of consistency. He's clearly a fans favourite at Millwall, like he is here and he deserves that accolade. However, I do tend to find myself leaning to the CW camp - prematurely or not - his all round game is better than Bart's IMO. He most certainly is not a L1 keeper, in fact he plays like he's doing us a favour dropping a league or two to help us out. if he keeps the form he showed since he's signed for us we'll have trouble holding on to him as the bigger clubs will begin to circle, but there's no doubt we are a far better side with CW playing, than when he isn't. So, lets hope next season is the one where we can get back up to the Championship with him and our defence keeping copious amount of clean sheets along the way.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

ITFC Goalkeepers... on 12:55 - Jun 1 with 947 viewsChrisd

ITFC Goalkeepers... on 12:45 - Jun 1 by NthQldITFC

I'd go with that precisely, and add that he seems to be very composed and calm, a trait he shares with back three actually. They work well together.

Edit: you already said he was composed, so pardon me.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2022 13:00]

I feel CW instils that confidence in our defenders as they know they have someone reliable behind them to help them out if a mistake is made. Look at the difference when Hladky is in goal there seems plenty of indecision and panic with our defenders. It's like they don't trust him.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2022 13:02]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

ITFC Goalkeepers... on 13:07 - Jun 1 with 877 viewsbluesym

Walton the better keeper for me,certainly better at actually leaving his line to claim or deal with crosses.
Even if people do think Bart is better,which is fair enough,I can't see how it would be anything other than marginal? 'A long way to go' for Walton seems harsh.

Poll: Is Micheal Mcintyre actually funny?

ITFC Goalkeepers... on 13:09 - Jun 1 with 866 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Very premature.

CW is very good, but I doubt he will ever reach the levels RW did in his first spell.

Edit... phew, my bad. Realised he said 'since' Richard Wright. As you were.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2022 13:11]

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

ITFC Goalkeepers... on 13:14 - Jun 1 with 811 viewsNthsuffolkblue

ITFC Goalkeepers... on 12:55 - Jun 1 by Chrisd

I feel CW instils that confidence in our defenders as they know they have someone reliable behind them to help them out if a mistake is made. Look at the difference when Hladky is in goal there seems plenty of indecision and panic with our defenders. It's like they don't trust him.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2022 13:02]

I thought Hladky and the defence in front of him did fine in the one match that Walton missed. Is this composure not, to a large degree, borne out of better organisation and tactics under McKenna?

As for the point over is Walton better than Bart - I think the "dare I say" part covers it well. It is far from a given but there is enough to suggest it may well be the case.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

ITFC Goalkeepers... on 13:16 - Jun 1 with 793 viewsRobTheMonk

Bart was a hero over his Mick years with us.

Walton is quality though. Better with his feet, better at claiming crosses and looks to have better communication.

Bart would become a one man defence at times though.

I wouldn't want to pick between the two.
ITFC Goalkeepers... on 13:17 - Jun 1 with 782 viewsCopfordBlue

Both excellent, not much between them. Great to have a keeper that we can compare with some high quality predecessors rather than discussing if the current keeper is the worst we’ve ever had or marginally better than the previous inept one.

Poll: Most enjoyable calendar year as an Ipswich supporter

ITFC Goalkeepers... on 13:24 - Jun 1 with 765 viewsVic

So it was click bait then!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

ITFC Goalkeepers... on 13:35 - Jun 1 with 732 viewsBonneNIL

I think we've genuinely forgotten we are in League One. Walton is a top performer in a frankly underperforming side. Bart, however, was a great keeper for us, and Millwall, in the Championship, and hopefully Walton can go on and do the same.

Poll: Best Adidas Home Shirt of the Modern Era

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024