Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
FA proposing to scrap some replays in 3rd and 4th rounds if clubs agree 17:12 - Sep 21 with 2553 viewsElderGrizzly

To it before the initial game.

So we might have a replay and Man Utd might decide not to in the same round.

Yes, i’m aware we need to win a cup game first…

[Post edited 21 Sep 2022 17:13]
FA proposing to scrap some replays in 3rd and 4th rounds if clubs agree on 17:29 - Sep 21 with 2460 viewsStevieH

A once great competition, possibly the best in the world, gradually being reduced to a Mickey Mouse trophy
FA proposing to scrap some replays in 3rd and 4th rounds if clubs agree on 18:53 - Sep 21 with 2327 viewsBasuco

FA proposing to scrap some replays in 3rd and 4th rounds if clubs agree on 17:29 - Sep 21 by StevieH

A once great competition, possibly the best in the world, gradually being reduced to a Mickey Mouse trophy

All just to make room for more "champions" league games, so turning that into a mickey mouse competition at the same time.
FA proposing to scrap some replays in 3rd and 4th rounds if clubs agree on 20:26 - Sep 21 with 2199 viewsGuthrum

FA proposing to scrap some replays in 3rd and 4th rounds if clubs agree on 18:53 - Sep 21 by Basuco

All just to make room for more "champions" league games, so turning that into a mickey mouse competition at the same time.

Not to mention the Europa League, The Europa Conference and the Europa Sunday League.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

FA proposing to scrap some replays in 3rd and 4th rounds if clubs agree on 20:36 - Sep 21 with 2168 viewsKeno

FA proposing to scrap some replays in 3rd and 4th rounds if clubs agree on 20:26 - Sep 21 by Guthrum

Not to mention the Europa League, The Europa Conference and the Europa Sunday League.

toy have forgotten the European Cup Winners Cup Cup

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

FA proposing to scrap some replays in 3rd and 4th rounds if clubs agree on 20:37 - Sep 21 with 2165 viewsNthsuffolkblue

On the other hand, we will be saved the trouble of the replay provided it is Man Utd we draw with.

I think it should also come with a ruling that the team that wants to avoid the replay forfeits the tie in place of any penalty shoot-out.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

FA proposing to scrap some replays in 3rd and 4th rounds if clubs agree on 23:53 - Sep 21 with 1957 viewsChurchman

Would it not make more sense for the top six most important clubs to be fast tracked to the sixth round, given an automatic home game, a two goal start and an extra man? That would save the poor hard done by lambs three games, stress on their legs and make it much more interesting. Not.

Oh and so they don’t miss out on gate receipts for the three earlier rounds, they each get subsidy money from the clubs that did play. Only fair.

They’ve killed the FA Cup.
FA proposing to scrap some replays in 3rd and 4th rounds if clubs agree on 05:56 - Sep 22 with 1854 viewsPioneerBlue

Whilst I’m against most changes in football. After all it is a sport of 11 V 11 with a goalkeeper, a football and a pitch that’s generally the same size within a tolerance the world over, how much innovation in rules, technology, or competitions is needed each year?

Of all the constant changes in football, stopping replays is my least unfavourable one!

I would however like to see the financial package looked at if this means less potential revenue for smaller clubs. I’m also not into the bit about EPL clubs entering their U21 or b teams. Either have the competition or don’t. I’m not looking for ways to accommodate huge EPL squads and oversized Academy programmes.
[Post edited 22 Sep 2022 21:25]

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

FA proposing to scrap some replays in 3rd and 4th rounds if clubs agree on 06:12 - Sep 22 with 1840 viewsLesta_Tractor

FA proposing to scrap some replays in 3rd and 4th rounds if clubs agree on 20:37 - Sep 21 by Nthsuffolkblue

On the other hand, we will be saved the trouble of the replay provided it is Man Utd we draw with.

I think it should also come with a ruling that the team that wants to avoid the replay forfeits the tie in place of any penalty shoot-out.

The club that wants to avoid the replay should forfeit their share of the gate money in the event of a draw

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

Login to get fewer ads

FA proposing to scrap some replays in 3rd and 4th rounds if clubs agree on 07:26 - Sep 22 with 1729 viewsPlums

FA proposing to scrap some replays in 3rd and 4th rounds if clubs agree on 06:12 - Sep 22 by Lesta_Tractor

The club that wants to avoid the replay should forfeit their share of the gate money in the event of a draw

The club that wants to avoid the replay shouldn't enter a competition which includes them.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

FA proposing to scrap some replays in 3rd and 4th rounds if clubs agree on 07:27 - Sep 22 with 1729 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

Hmmm, I wonder where this idea originated??
A competition that has more that 150 years of tradition, where replays have been an intrinsic part of that tradition, being chucked aside at the whim of the Big 6 so that they can fit in more lucrative matches.
I'd sooner see the top 6 leave the PL altogether and sod off to play in a European exhibition League with no relegation, leaving the rest of English football to get back to how it used to be.

Poll: would you rather

FA proposing to scrap some replays in 3rd and 4th rounds if clubs agree on 08:57 - Sep 22 with 1609 viewsSwansea_Blue

Why don't they just cut to the chase and ask Man U if they agree to win it this year? It'd save them being inconvenience by having to play football and all that sort of fuss.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

FA proposing to scrap some replays in 3rd and 4th rounds if clubs agree on 09:13 - Sep 22 with 1549 viewshoppy

There’s already an imbalance in the competition as it is, with the inclusion of VAR being used in some ties, but not in others - obviously not all clubs have it in place, and the same borderline decisions could happen in all games, but only those with VAR get it verified by replaying. In our cup history, there’s certainly a few instances where VAR would’ve led to a completely different outcome.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

FA proposing to scrap some replays in 3rd and 4th rounds if clubs agree on 09:16 - Sep 22 with 1537 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Ridiculous.
FA proposing to scrap some replays in 3rd and 4th rounds if clubs agree on 09:38 - Sep 22 with 1504 viewsSamWhiteUK

FA proposing to scrap some replays in 3rd and 4th rounds if clubs agree on 09:13 - Sep 22 by hoppy

There’s already an imbalance in the competition as it is, with the inclusion of VAR being used in some ties, but not in others - obviously not all clubs have it in place, and the same borderline decisions could happen in all games, but only those with VAR get it verified by replaying. In our cup history, there’s certainly a few instances where VAR would’ve led to a completely different outcome.

With the recent VAR decisions, though, I think it's the teams without it that are the ones benefiting!
FA proposing to scrap some replays in 3rd and 4th rounds if clubs agree on 10:31 - Sep 22 with 1433 viewshoppy

FA proposing to scrap some replays in 3rd and 4th rounds if clubs agree on 09:38 - Sep 22 by SamWhiteUK

With the recent VAR decisions, though, I think it's the teams without it that are the ones benefiting!

That’s as maybe… but as it is, you get some ties where it could be at a lower league ground, the home side could be on the verge of a famous upset against a premier league club, when the Premier side score some dodgy goal (like Wednesday’s second against us last week, for example), which then takes it to a replay. The replay then uses VAR, the underdogs score an exact same goal which gets replayed and re looked at and cancelled out, denying them a victory, the Prem side holds on and goes through on pens. Is that then fair?
[Post edited 22 Sep 2022 12:42]

FA proposing to scrap some replays in 3rd and 4th rounds if clubs agree on 10:34 - Sep 22 with 1425 viewsitfcjoe

In certain non-league compettions both teams decide prior to game whether they want a replay and if both agree they don't then it will be settled on the night - this makes more sense generally

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

FA proposing to scrap some replays in 3rd and 4th rounds if clubs agree on 10:39 - Sep 22 with 1411 viewsPinewoodblue

FA proposing to scrap some replays in 3rd and 4th rounds if clubs agree on 10:34 - Sep 22 by itfcjoe

In certain non-league compettions both teams decide prior to game whether they want a replay and if both agree they don't then it will be settled on the night - this makes more sense generally

Some of our recent managers would probably agree to deciding a game by a toss of a coin, not even wanting to play 90 minutes, would have improved chances of progressing to next round.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

FA proposing to scrap some replays in 3rd and 4th rounds if clubs agree on 10:46 - Sep 22 with 1397 viewshype313

FA proposing to scrap some replays in 3rd and 4th rounds if clubs agree on 17:29 - Sep 21 by StevieH

The only way to make it a serious competition is to offer a CL place to the winners and take away the 4th spot in the PL.

But we know that won't happen.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

FA proposing to scrap some replays in 3rd and 4th rounds if clubs agree on 13:04 - Sep 22 with 1283 viewsVaughan8

FA proposing to scrap some replays in 3rd and 4th rounds if clubs agree on 10:46 - Sep 22 by hype313

The only way to make it a serious competition is to offer a CL place to the winners and take away the 4th spot in the PL.

But we know that won't happen.

Agreed. Look at the Europa League latter stages now. They all want to win it, espeically if they won't qualify through their league.

As you say, will never happen as the premier league is its own machine and they aren't going to vote to drop one of the places are they? haha

I get it regarding the replays. But don't you just think the Big teams are going to "bully" the smaller teams into what they want (probably with a backhander.....!)
FA proposing to scrap some replays in 3rd and 4th rounds if clubs agree on 15:44 - Sep 22 with 1202 viewsRadlett_blue

FA proposing to scrap some replays in 3rd and 4th rounds if clubs agree on 09:13 - Sep 22 by hoppy

There is no "advantage" to any club of VAR being used in their game or not as it has no intrinsic bias to either team. The idea that VAR should be used in all ties or non in nonsensical.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

FA proposing to scrap some replays in 3rd and 4th rounds if clubs agree on 16:03 - Sep 22 with 1170 viewshoppy

FA proposing to scrap some replays in 3rd and 4th rounds if clubs agree on 15:44 - Sep 22 by Radlett_blue

There is no "advantage" to any club of VAR being used in their game or not as it has no intrinsic bias to either team. The idea that VAR should be used in all ties or non in nonsensical.

But it can lead to different outcomes, as I said in a further scenario...

"but as it is, you get some ties where it could be at a lower league ground, the home side could be on the verge of a famous upset against a premier league club, when the Premier side score some dodgy goal (like Wednesday’s second against us last week, for example), which then takes it to a replay. The replay then uses VAR, the underdogs score an exact same goal which gets replayed and re looked at and cancelled out, denying them a victory, the Prem side holds on and goes through on pens. Is that then fair?"

FA proposing to scrap some replays in 3rd and 4th rounds if clubs agree on 16:28 - Sep 22 with 1152 viewsRadlett_blue

FA proposing to scrap some replays in 3rd and 4th rounds if clubs agree on 16:03 - Sep 22 by hoppy

But it can lead to different outcomes, as I said in a further scenario...

"but as it is, you get some ties where it could be at a lower league ground, the home side could be on the verge of a famous upset against a premier league club, when the Premier side score some dodgy goal (like Wednesday’s second against us last week, for example), which then takes it to a replay. The replay then uses VAR, the underdogs score an exact same goal which gets replayed and re looked at and cancelled out, denying them a victory, the Prem side holds on and goes through on pens. Is that then fair?"

No, it's perfectly fair because VAR theoretically produces more accurate decisions, that are fairer to both teams.

FA proposing to scrap some replays in 3rd and 4th rounds if clubs agree on 16:41 - Sep 22 with 1130 viewsTexacoCup

FA proposing to scrap some replays in 3rd and 4th rounds if clubs agree on 13:04 - Sep 22 by Vaughan8

Agreed. Look at the Europa League latter stages now. They all want to win it, espeically if they won't qualify through their league.

As you say, will never happen as the premier league is its own machine and they aren't going to vote to drop one of the places are they? haha

I get it regarding the replays. But don't you just think the Big teams are going to "bully" the smaller teams into what they want (probably with a backhander.....!)

If a small club plays a top six club at home, there's no chance they would agree to no replay - unless, as you say money/compensation is involved - that could lead to all sorts of naughtiness
FA proposing to scrap some replays in 3rd and 4th rounds if clubs agree on 17:01 - Sep 22 with 1111 viewsRadlett_blue

FA proposing to scrap some replays in 3rd and 4th rounds if clubs agree on 16:41 - Sep 22 by TexacoCup

If a small club plays a top six club at home, there's no chance they would agree to no replay - unless, as you say money/compensation is involved - that could lead to all sorts of naughtiness

Interestingly enough, it used to be rule of the FA Cup that if both clubs agreed beforehand, they could play extra time at the end of the initial game. Unsurprisingly, away teams never agreed to it as they felt they would have a better chance in a home replay & in the old days, clubs liked the income from a replay. I wonder if it could have been used to avoid these situations in the past when a tie ended up with "a replay neither manager wanted"?
The FA Cup is like a pig with lipstick these days, having been devalued so much so I don't think scrapping replays would be the end of the world & it would give the underdogs a better chance of progress, although some of them love the TV income from a surprise replay.

FA proposing to scrap some replays in 3rd and 4th rounds if clubs agree on 18:11 - Sep 22 with 1075 viewsTheBoyBlue

I did wonder at one point after last season if replays would've been scrapped forever and thus we would've been the answer to a pub quiz question, "Who lost the last ever FA Cup replay?"

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024