Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Charlie Brown 14:12 - May 18 with 2763 viewsbluesandtwos

Not saying we should signed him or anything but noticed he has been released by Cheltenham (aged 23)
He was a bright young thing for us but swayed to move to Chelsea a few years back, now look at his situation
Charlie Brown on 14:15 - May 18 with 2700 viewsJ2BLUE

Chelsea can afford to take the punt on loads of players like him and he is probably set up for life now.

Sad to see but he may still make it back up the leagues.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Charlie Brown on 14:23 - May 18 with 2637 viewsFixed_It

Charlie Brown on 14:15 - May 18 by J2BLUE

Chelsea can afford to take the punt on loads of players like him and he is probably set up for life now.

Sad to see but he may still make it back up the leagues.

Cue 'sign him for peanuts' jokes...

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Charlie Brown on 14:24 - May 18 with 2629 viewsjayessess

Think there's two ways you can think about this:

(a) Brown was never going to be good enough to make it as a professional footballer, as evidenced by his failure to make the grade at Chelsea, MK Dons and Cheltenham. But, by moving to Chelsea he'll have made enough money to potentially set himself up nicely for a life post-football he couldn't have otherwise had.

(b) Academy football coaching is heavily focused on *the talents* to the extent that some feel the other 13/14 kids are just there to give the 1 kid who'll make it a team to play on. Perhaps at Ipswich Charlie Brown would have been *the talent* and got all the coaching attention, whilst he was just there to make up the numbers at Chelsea and that made all the difference in how he developed.

IMO it's 90% (a) in most of these cases.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Charlie Brown on 14:26 - May 18 with 2593 viewsKeno

Charlie Brown on 14:23 - May 18 by Fixed_It

you are just linus up for a fall dont you

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Charlie Brown on 15:19 - May 18 with 2385 viewsVaughan8

You're taking the pistachio now.
Charlie Brown on 15:36 - May 18 with 2308 viewshoppy

Charlie Brown on 14:26 - May 18 by Keno

you are just linus up for a fall dont you

I'm not taking any notice of this thread's pun potential... I'm going to blanket out.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Charlie Brown on 15:40 - May 18 with 2287 viewsHerbivore

I seem to remember Joe and others who take a more active interest in the academy than me all said he wasn't especially highly rated here.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Charlie Brown on 15:46 - May 18 with 2229 viewsPhilTWTD

Charlie Brown on 15:40 - May 18 by Herbivore

I seem to remember Joe and others who take a more active interest in the academy than me all said he wasn't especially highly rated here.

He was highly enough rated to have played in the U21s - and scored - as a schoolboy.

Returning Patterson on Target as U21s Beat Crewe 30th Mar 2016 16:31
Goals from Monty Patterson, back after seven months out injured, Myles Kenlock, Conor McKendry and schoolboy striker Charlie Brown saw Town’s U21s to a 4-2 victory over Crewe Alexandra at Playford Road this afternoon. 4

Login to get fewer ads

Charlie Brown on 15:47 - May 18 with 2221 viewsitfcjoe

Charlie Brown on 15:40 - May 18 by Herbivore

He was in the same intake as Jack Lankester, and whilst JL had struggled around U16s he seemed to get more opportunities than CHarlie Brown.

Plus in the year above was Ben Morris and Ben Folami who were both much higher rated and pushed on than Charlie was, with Ben Knight in the year below.

CB was really good, and it was a shame he went, but he had absolutely no pathway here and we managed to get £600k or whatever for him - I'm sure he was well recompensed and more importantly got longer contracts etc

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Charlie Brown on 16:14 - May 18 with 2015 viewsChurchman

Saw Charlie Sheringham playing for Dartford the other day. He was terrible.
Charlie Brown on 16:15 - May 18 with 2000 viewshoppy

Charlie Brown on 16:14 - May 18 by Churchman

Saw Charlie Sheringham playing for Dartford the other day. He was terrible.

I saw Charlie playing matches.

He might've hurt himself. Should've heeded the warnings really.

Charlie Brown on 16:23 - May 18 with 1944 viewsDeano69

Charlie Brown on 16:15 - May 18 by hoppy

I saw Charlie playing matches.

He might've hurt himself. Should've heeded the warnings really.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Charlie Brown on 17:00 - May 18 with 1802 viewsiamatractorboy

Good grief
Charlie Brown on 17:10 - May 18 with 1732 viewshoppy

Charlie Brown on 16:23 - May 18 by Deano69

Charlie Brown on 18:18 - May 18 with 1562 viewsNutkins_Return

Charlie Brown on 15:47 - May 18 by itfcjoe

He was in the same intake as Jack Lankester, and whilst JL had struggled around U16s he seemed to get more opportunities than CHarlie Brown.

Plus in the year above was Ben Morris and Ben Folami who were both much higher rated and pushed on than Charlie was, with Ben Knight in the year below.

CB was really good, and it was a shame he went, but he had absolutely no pathway here and we managed to get £600k or whatever for him - I'm sure he was well recompensed and more importantly got longer contracts etc

Really? I thought Charlie Brown was the higher rated at that time hence Chelsea paying such a large sum for such a young player. (I Probably just made that assumption back at the time)

Interesting but also equally such a shame the injuries Ben Morris got. Hope he makes it back to a good level!
Charlie Brown on 18:54 - May 18 with 1434 viewsHatStand

Leave it up to Kieran, not muppets

Poll: Piers Morgan / Marmite

Charlie Brown on 19:09 - May 18 with 1375 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Charlie Brown on 14:24 - May 18 by jayessess

Think there's two ways you can think about this:

(a) Brown was never going to be good enough to make it as a professional footballer, as evidenced by his failure to make the grade at Chelsea, MK Dons and Cheltenham. But, by moving to Chelsea he'll have made enough money to potentially set himself up nicely for a life post-football he couldn't have otherwise had.

(b) Academy football coaching is heavily focused on *the talents* to the extent that some feel the other 13/14 kids are just there to give the 1 kid who'll make it a team to play on. Perhaps at Ipswich Charlie Brown would have been *the talent* and got all the coaching attention, whilst he was just there to make up the numbers at Chelsea and that made all the difference in how he developed.

IMO it's 90% (a) in most of these cases.

In addition on point A, by going to Chelsea his fall down the leagues astarted at a higher point meaning his third failure has still been at League One level. Had he stayed here and failed to make the grade he’d be out of the league by now and probably semi-pro somewhere

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024