Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Favourite rail journeys? 14:10 - Jul 20 with 16972 viewsunbelievablue

I'm talking specific journeys, rather than favourite routes.

I got the train from Vienna to Budapest and loved it. Yank birds opposite, £1 500ml local beers, free wifi, comfy seats, arid Hungarian wasteland, refugee nickings, the lot.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Favourite rail journeys? on 16:34 - Jul 20 with 6654 viewsRyorry

Favourite rail journeys? on 16:31 - Jul 20 by itfcjoe

I looked at that when I was up there but didn't really work out geographically and time wise so we did Bolton Abbey to Embsay which was good fun and more manageable for a 6 month old!

Not been on that, must give it a go!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Favourite rail journeys? on 17:19 - Jul 20 with 6626 viewsTendring_Blue

Manningtree to Harwich town. Unrivalled.
Favourite rail journeys? on 17:21 - Jul 20 with 6626 viewsWD19

Geneva to Interlaken in Switzerland. Particularly the last leg of the journey. Lakeside views and something Blonde at the end of it (plus beer).
Favourite rail journeys? on 17:56 - Jul 20 with 6605 viewsvapour_trail

The one Lucan broadcast from on here.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Favourite rail journeys? on 18:08 - Jul 20 with 6595 viewsnorth_stand77

Favourite rail journeys? on 15:05 - Jul 20 by Ryorry

On Sunday, was lucky enough to take The Flying Scotsman along the Settle to Carlisle line and back, incorporating the renowned Ribblehead Viaduct.

Magnificent. Everything. Machine, line, weather, scenery - Yorkshire Dales and Pendle Hill (Lancs) on one side, and the Lake District/Cumbrian fells on t'other. Whernside, Ingleborough and Pen Y Ghent like great green-grey whales leaping skywards.

Lucky you Ryorry! I would love to go on flying Scotsman.
Tried getting tickets months ago for when it comes to East Anglia this October but they were already sold out.

Am going on the Bernina Express between Milan and Switzerland in September as a birthday treat. Crosses something like 190 bridges, 55 tunnels etc so should be fantastic scenery.
Favourite rail journeys? on 18:43 - Jul 20 with 6578 viewshorsehollerer

Favourite rail journeys? on 18:08 - Jul 20 by north_stand77

Tried getting tickets months ago for when it comes to East Anglia this October but they were already sold out.

Am going on the Bernina Express between Milan and Switzerland in September as a birthday treat. Crosses something like 190 bridges, 55 tunnels etc so should be fantastic scenery.

I did the Bernina Express from Chur to Tirano a couple of years ago. It is breathtaking. Make sure you are on the right side of the train for this part! (well.... I suppose it's the left side if you're coming from Italy)

Blog: The Late, Late Blubfest Show

Favourite rail journeys? on 19:43 - Jul 20 with 6560 viewssolemio

Favourite rail journeys? on 14:55 - Jul 20 by StokieBlue

Olso to Bergen was excellent. Cheap first class tickets, stunning scenery and very relaxing.

Machu Picchu to Ollantaytambo was rather nice but might have been nicer because I wasn't walking anymore.

SB

Yes, Oslo to Bergen my favourite. We did this early in June and we started in Summer in Oslo, then as we climbed we went into Spring, then finally into Winter. At the summit stop I recall a dog getting out of the train and rolling over and over in the snow. Then back through the seasons to Summer in Bergen.
Favourite rail journeys? on 20:00 - Jul 20 with 6548 viewshampstead_blue

London to Edinburgh travelling First Class, each way.

Pissed by the time we got to the Borders and enjoyed the stunning scenery.

I go to the Festival for a few days and love to get there pissed, just so I can keep myself topped-up over the next few days.

My fave journey.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Login to get fewer ads

Favourite rail journeys? on 20:54 - Jul 20 with 6513 viewsnorth_stand77

Favourite rail journeys? on 18:43 - Jul 20 by horsehollerer

I did the Bernina Express from Chur to Tirano a couple of years ago. It is breathtaking. Make sure you are on the right side of the train for this part! (well.... I suppose it's the left side if you're coming from Italy)

Thanks for the tip, really looking forward to it.

We looked in to going on the Orient Express ( Verona to London) initially but it was going to cost about 3 grand each and we would have missed out on seeing a lot of scenery as it also involved overnight travelling.
By comparison, 2 nights in Milan, 12 hour train trip and 2 nights in Chur Switzerland, 4 star accommodation, and flights -£900 each, which I think is pretty good.
Favourite rail journeys? on 22:10 - Jul 20 with 6486 viewsFreddies_Ears

Favourite rail journeys? on 18:08 - Jul 20 by north_stand77

I did the Bernina Express in 2015. It is utterly wonderful. You could not have chosen better (and I have travelled a lot around Europe by train).
Favourite rail journeys? on 22:12 - Jul 20 with 6485 viewsAdmiralFunge

Berwick to Edinburgh is pretty stunning, trainline along the top of the cliffs...

Badly want to do Euston - Fort WIlliam on the sleeper sometime, supposed to be most impressive.

Poll: Danny Karbassiyoon, or Kim Karbasheran?

Favourite rail journeys? on 22:15 - Jul 20 with 6482 viewsuncle

Lugano, in southern Switzerland, to Zurich.

Through the mountains, beautiful scenery, and a lovely hot dog at the end of it.
Favourite rail journeys? on 22:22 - Jul 20 with 6480 viewsMelford

Favourite rail journeys? on 15:16 - Jul 20 by ITFC_Forever

London Paddington to Cornwall.

Loads of scenic countryside, barges on the canals, white horse on the hills, then when you get to south Devon, the coastline stretch along the seawall at Dawlish and on over the Tamar Bridge, one of Brunel's masterpieces.

I would say this as well. When I was a student I spent my summers working in my Uncle's pub in St Ives. As you say, that stretch from Devon into Cornwall is absolutely beautiful.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Favourite rail journeys? on 22:24 - Jul 20 with 6471 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Favourite rail journeys? on 15:34 - Jul 20 by itfcjoe

I got the train from London to Istanbul with Mrs itfcjoe a few years back and parts of that route are memorable for different reasons.

I'd probably say Vienna to Budapest was the best part - a relatively short trip, not having to sleep on the train, temperate conditions and we'd loved Vienna so were sad to be leaving but excited about the next part of trip - I also had a cracking piece of cold schnitzel that I'd bought earlier in the day and a few beers.

Bucharest to Istanbul was probably the worst rail journey I've had on that same trip....

Just googled the London to istanbul journey

4 days on a train is bl00dy uncomfortable surely? My arse would hurt sitting still for so long even though of course you change trains and have the sleeper train in there.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Favourite rail journeys? on 22:37 - Jul 20 with 6462 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Overnight sleeper train from Hanoi to Hue.
Noisy, bumpy, slow, vile toilets, tiny bunk, never slept but...........spent 8 out of the 12 hrs standing in the corridor drinking very cheap beer, smoking very cheap cigs & looking at the most amazing scenery. Great experience.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Favourite rail journeys? on 00:57 - Jul 21 with 6421 viewsRyorry

Favourite rail journeys? on 22:22 - Jul 20 by Melford

I would say this as well. When I was a student I spent my summers working in my Uncle's pub in St Ives. As you say, that stretch from Devon into Cornwall is absolutely beautiful.

I also remember that as absolutely beautiful, on my way to work a summer in a Cornish pony-trekking centre when age 18 or so.

Favourite rail journeys? on 00:58 - Jul 21 with 6420 viewsRyorry

Favourite rail journeys? on 22:12 - Jul 20 by AdmiralFunge

Berwick to Edinburgh is pretty stunning, trainline along the top of the cliffs...

Badly want to do Euston - Fort WIlliam on the sleeper sometime, supposed to be most impressive.

Cheers for the Berwick to Edinburgh idea, that's do-able for me and have always wanted to go to the Edinburgh Fest

Favourite rail journeys? on 02:37 - Jul 21 with 6402 viewsJohnhoz

Walking across the Bridge Over the River Kwai. Having just visited the cemetery in Kanchanaburi and walked down Hellfire Pass it was very emotional trying to get your head round the number of men who died during the construction of the railway. It's estimated that 100,000 native labourers died and over 12,500 Allied troops

Travelling across the Wampo Viaduct on the tourist train afterwards
[Post edited 21 Jul 2017 2:43]

I reckon we should sack the manager every time we lose a game
Poll: Right now, why do you go to games

Favourite rail journeys? on 05:31 - Jul 21 with 6378 viewsBenters

Great Bentley -Liverpool Street on the fast train none of this stopping at every station,Ghostie served from the buffet,walkin up the steps to the HH and seeing all the other 'Dickheads'standing outside on a summers day,lovely.

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

Favourite rail journeys? on 05:47 - Jul 21 with 6372 viewsBenters

Favourite rail journeys? on 22:12 - Jul 20 by AdmiralFunge

I would like to do London -Cornwall that is supposed to be a nice one to do.

But then if you do the sleeper train you miss all the beautiful countryside.

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

Favourite rail journeys? on 07:01 - Jul 21 with 6349 viewsMJallday

Favourite rail journeys? on 15:16 - Jul 20 by ITFC_Forever

London Paddington to Cornwall.

Loads of scenic countryside, barges on the canals, white horse on the hills, then when you get to south Devon, the coastline stretch along the seawall at Dawlish and on over the Tamar Bridge, one of Brunel's masterpieces.

Lelant saltings to st Ives in Cornwall

Costs about 1.90 - the prettiest 10 mins on a train you'll ever have
Also it's cheaper than parking in st Ives

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Favourite rail journeys? on 08:59 - Jul 21 with 6328 viewsitfcjoe

Favourite rail journeys? on 22:24 - Jul 20 by The_Romford_Blue

Just googled the London to istanbul journey

4 days on a train is bl00dy uncomfortable surely? My arse would hurt sitting still for so long even though of course you change trains and have the sleeper train in there.

I didn't do it all in one hit but over a few days:
London to Paris
2 nights in Paris
Paris to Strasbourg then Strasbourg to Vienna on sleeper
1 night in Vienna
Vienna to Budapest
2 nights in Budapest
Budapest to Bucharest on overnight sleeper
1 night in Bucharest
Bucharest to Istanbul on overnight sleeper
3 nights in Istanbul
Fly home

Without the stops would have been unbearable!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Favourite rail journeys? on 11:08 - Jul 21 with 6294 viewssolemio

Favourite rail journeys? on 18:43 - Jul 20 by horsehollerer

Yes, great run. Ditto the Glacier Express from Zermatt.
Favourite rail journeys? on 12:40 - Jul 22 with 6226 viewsWeWereZombies

Favourite rail journeys? on 20:54 - Jul 20 by north_stand77

Thanks for the tip, really looking forward to it.

We looked in to going on the Orient Express ( Verona to London) initially but it was going to cost about 3 grand each and we would have missed out on seeing a lot of scenery as it also involved overnight travelling.
By comparison, 2 nights in Milan, 12 hour train trip and 2 nights in Chur Switzerland, 4 star accommodation, and flights -£900 each, which I think is pretty good.

Not sure if I should point this out if you have booked already but you can buy tickets for Chur to Tirano from Swiss Railways for ever so much less, check it out on Seat 61:

https://www.seat61.com/BerninaExpress.htm

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Favourite rail journeys? on 12:48 - Jul 22 with 6217 viewsFreddies_Ears

Favourite rail journeys? on 12:40 - Jul 22 by WeWereZombies

Not sure if I should point this out if you have booked already but you can buy tickets for Chur to Tirano from Swiss Railways for ever so much less, check it out on Seat 61:

https://www.seat61.com/BerninaExpress.htm

Correct. There are 2 advantages of taking the tourist train, which add up to a improved experience:

1. Trains have panoramic windows, which is great as those mountains are very high!

2. Train does a 15-minute stop to admire a glacier at the point of best view.

Oh, 3 - there's a buffet trolley!

The Milan - Tirano bit has fabulous lake views, sit on the left side (ditto Swiss train too). The change of train in Tirano is a 50-yard walk, but you'll get the sense of arriving in a different country!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024