Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Your top 5 managerial choices from these 20 realistic potential candidates 09:23 - Apr 6 with 19516 viewsDanFord

Rather than people just listing their first choice given there are so many to choose from I thought I'd come up with a scoring system and add up everyone's choices to find the top overall choice from this list:

Tony Mowbray
Nigel Pearson
Alan Pardew
Steve McClaren
Mark Warburton
Jaap Stam
Graham Alexander
Shefki Kuqi
John McGreal
Maurice Steijn
Paul Cook
Derek Adams
Paul Hurst
Danny Cowley
Nathan Jones
Gareth Ainsworth
Jack Ross
Derek McInnes
Frank Lampard (included as many keep mentioning him)
George Burley (included as many keep mentioning him)

In order of preference for me would be:

1 Mark Warburton (Worth 10 points)
2 Maurice Steijn (Worth 5 points)
3 Tony Mowbray (Worth 3 points)
4 Paul Hurst (Worth 2 points)
5 Paul Cook (Worth 1 point)

I'll do a total after 50 replies and then after 75 and 100 and so on.
[Post edited 6 Apr 2018 9:29]

Poll: Would you be willing to consider a new club crest?

Your top 5 managerial choices from these 20 realistic potential candidates on 14:59 - Apr 6 with 3749 viewsHarryfromBath

1. Mark Warburton
2. Paul Cook
3. Paul Hurst
4. Nathan Jones
5. Jack Ross

That's a fair pile of assumptions you've jumped to there.....
Poll: Who Do You Think Will Win The Championship Play-offs?
Blog: How Mick McCarthy Accelerated His Own Departure

Your top 5 managerial choices from these 20 realistic potential candidates on 15:08 - Apr 6 with 3728 viewsSpruceMoose

Your top 5 managerial choices from these 20 realistic potential candidates on 14:59 - Apr 6 by HarryfromBath

1. Mark Warburton
2. Paul Cook
3. Paul Hurst
4. Nathan Jones
5. Jack Ross

I'm with Harry.

Of the names being thrown around, I'd be happiest with Warburton. But, I'm still miserable in that without decent backing, we won't see much difference to the current achievements.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Your top 5 managerial choices from these 20 realistic potential candidates on 15:19 - Apr 6 with 3709 viewsrickw

Just wondering why so many are going for Mark Warburton?
Yes I know he plays good football and did great at Brentford, but since then it hasn't quite worked for him at Rangers and Forest - not saying he did a bad job at either but it wasn't a great job either....

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Your top 5 managerial choices from these 20 realistic potential candidates on 15:24 - Apr 6 with 3690 viewsSpruceMoose

Your top 5 managerial choices from these 20 realistic potential candidates on 15:19 - Apr 6 by rickw

Yes I know he plays good football and did great at Brentford, but since then it hasn't quite worked for him at Rangers and Forest - not saying he did a bad job at either but it wasn't a great job either....

Rangers are a proper basket case, on the surface with the football in a Scotland being so poor it seems like it would be an easy job. But there's something toxic about that club nowadays.

Forest? I dunno. Maybe not a good fit? No one has really had much success there over the last few years though.

I think Warburton's success at Brentford came in part because the whole club had the same philosophy. I'd like to see him in here if we could start to foster something like that.

I also quite like his bread.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Your top 5 managerial choices from these 20 realistic potential candidates on 15:25 - Apr 6 with 3691 viewsJ2BLUE

Mowbray
Warburton
Sherwood
Lampard
Gary Neville

I make no apologies for any of these. I think the last two would be very interesting gambles on two former players who are very level headed and could go far in management.

Please no one respond with what Neville did at Valencia. Comparing his stint there where he went into a struggling foreign club in December with language barriers to what he could do here with an experienced assistant in a league he knows with a full pre-season behind him is ridiculous. It would obviously be a bit of a gamble but it would be an exciting one IMO.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Your top 5 managerial choices from these 20 realistic potential candidates on 15:29 - Apr 6 with 3683 viewsKieran_Knows

Your top 5 managerial choices from these 20 realistic potential candidates on 15:19 - Apr 6 by rickw

I think he's been on record to say that the initial plan at Forest was to 'build a squad over 2/3 seasons capable of winning promotion', only for the owner within 6 months say that he wanted promotion this season ... it was something along those lines, i'm sure.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Your top 5 managerial choices from these 20 realistic potential candidates on 15:56 - Apr 6 with 3647 viewsHerbivore

Your top 5 managerial choices from these 20 realistic potential candidates on 15:24 - Apr 6 by SpruceMoose

Rangers are a proper basket case, on the surface with the football in a Scotland being so poor it seems like it would be an easy job. But there's something toxic about that club nowadays.

Forest? I dunno. Maybe not a good fit? No one has really had much success there over the last few years though.

I think Warburton's success at Brentford came in part because the whole club had the same philosophy. I'd like to see him in here if we could start to foster something like that.

I also quite like his bread.

Forest are borderline basket case as well. Warburton has his faults but he plays good footy and has an eye for a player. Given time here it might just work.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Your top 5 managerial choices from these 20 realistic potential candidates on 16:25 - Apr 6 with 3628 viewsHarryfromBath

For what it's worth, here are my thoughts on Warburton...

To be a success in this division you need to have a philosophy of playing the game. In this regard Warburton plays a coherent 4-2-3-1 system, playing out from the back (albeit riskily at times).

His teams play on the front foot, using inverted wingers and overlapping full-backs with a balanced midfield three. He started to introduce this model at Forest and it's interesting that Brentford have not moved on from his style of play under their new manager.

Warburton has a proven track record of moulding a team on a low budget and bringing young starlets through without allowing caution to dominate his thinking. This could be hugely important for us in the next two seasons.

I have two reservations:

(1) I'm not sure how good he is at talent-spotting as this was done at Brentford by their owner and statisticians. I would presume that Marcus Evans would ask him to do the scouting and step in to do the financial negotiating.

(2) I remember Brentford fans saying that they were at their best when they had a combined blend of Uwe Rosler measured calculated approach and Warburton's attacking mentality. I don't know much about David Weir, who has been his assistant at Brentford, Rangers and Forest.

That's a fair pile of assumptions you've jumped to there.....
Poll: Who Do You Think Will Win The Championship Play-offs?
Blog: How Mick McCarthy Accelerated His Own Departure

Login to get fewer ads

Your top 5 managerial choices from these 20 realistic potential candidates on 16:44 - Apr 6 with 3607 viewstheblueginger

Your top 5 managerial choices from these 20 realistic potential candidates on 11:29 - Apr 6 by DanFord

Five very clear preferences have already emerged

Mowbray, Warburton, Steijn, Jones and Hurst. They currently all have between 76 and 133 points. The manager in 6th place is Cook with 51 and then it's Adams with 25.

They would be my top 5 although maybe not in that order
Your top 5 managerial choices from these 20 realistic potential candidates on 16:52 - Apr 6 with 3590 viewsSmithy

Cook
Mowbray
Jones
Steijn
Warburton

37 years and counting!
Poll: We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most?

Your top 5 managerial choices from these 20 realistic potential candidates on 17:26 - Apr 6 with 3552 viewsDennyx4

1 - Paul Hurst
2 - Paul Cook
3 - Derek Adams
4 - Tony Mowbray
5 - Mark Warburton
Your top 5 managerial choices from these 20 realistic potential candidates on 17:34 - Apr 6 with 3546 viewsSuperfrans

Your top 5 managerial choices from these 20 realistic potential candidates on 16:25 - Apr 6 by HarryfromBath

For what it's worth, here are my thoughts on Warburton...

To be a success in this division you need to have a philosophy of playing the game. In this regard Warburton plays a coherent 4-2-3-1 system, playing out from the back (albeit riskily at times).

His teams play on the front foot, using inverted wingers and overlapping full-backs with a balanced midfield three. He started to introduce this model at Forest and it's interesting that Brentford have not moved on from his style of play under their new manager.

Warburton has a proven track record of moulding a team on a low budget and bringing young starlets through without allowing caution to dominate his thinking. This could be hugely important for us in the next two seasons.

I have two reservations:

(1) I'm not sure how good he is at talent-spotting as this was done at Brentford by their owner and statisticians. I would presume that Marcus Evans would ask him to do the scouting and step in to do the financial negotiating.

(2) I remember Brentford fans saying that they were at their best when they had a combined blend of Uwe Rosler measured calculated approach and Warburton's attacking mentality. I don't know much about David Weir, who has been his assistant at Brentford, Rangers and Forest.

Sounds like we should bring in Warburton and Rosler then. They’re both available... ;-)

PS. Nice analysis btw. 👍🏻
[Post edited 6 Apr 2018 17:59]

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Your top 5 managerial choices from these 20 realistic potential candidates on 17:43 - Apr 6 with 3540 viewssouthnorfolkblue

1. Mowbray
2. Warburton
3. Hurst
4. Alexander
5. Jones

Poll: Our final position

Your top 5 managerial choices from these 20 realistic potential candidates on 17:59 - Apr 6 with 3527 viewsKuqicoo

1. Steijn
2. Jones
3. Warburton
4. Hurst
5. Cook

Although after looking into Jack Ross he might get a look in there somewhere
Your top 5 managerial choices from these 20 realistic potential candidates on 18:04 - Apr 6 with 3524 viewsSuperfrans

Your top 5 managerial choices from these 20 realistic potential candidates on 11:29 - Apr 6 by DanFord

Five very clear preferences have already emerged

Mowbray, Warburton, Steijn, Jones and Hurst. They currently all have between 76 and 133 points. The manager in 6th place is Cook with 51 and then it's Adams with 25.

Personally, I reckon it’s going to be Mowbray (if we’re willing to wait) or Warburton (if we’re not).

This is assuming that that what Evans isn’t going to do is approach the applications we have received with a totally, 100% open mind. In which case it is anyone’s guess.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Your top 5 managerial choices from these 20 realistic potential candidates on 18:16 - Apr 6 with 3506 viewsNthQldITFC

Tony Mowbray
Paul Hurst
Nathan Jones
Mark Warburton
Maurice Steijn

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Your top 5 managerial choices from these 20 realistic potential candidates on 21:17 - Apr 6 with 3428 viewsrunaround

1. Mowbray
2. Warburton
3. Adams
4. Jones
5. Steijn
Your top 5 managerial choices from these 20 realistic potential candidates on 21:23 - Apr 6 with 3417 viewsbontcho

1. Nathan Jones
2. Paul Cook
3. Paul Hurst
4. Frank Lampard
5. Derek Adams

Bulgarian penalty hero
Poll: Which Harrison should we sign?

Your top 5 managerial choices from these 20 realistic potential candidates on 21:25 - Apr 6 with 3414 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Your top 5 managerial choices from these 20 realistic potential candidates on 15:25 - Apr 6 by J2BLUE

Mowbray
Warburton
Sherwood
Lampard
Gary Neville

I make no apologies for any of these. I think the last two would be very interesting gambles on two former players who are very level headed and could go far in management.

Please no one respond with what Neville did at Valencia. Comparing his stint there where he went into a struggling foreign club in December with language barriers to what he could do here with an experienced assistant in a league he knows with a full pre-season behind him is ridiculous. It would obviously be a bit of a gamble but it would be an exciting one IMO.

Can you name me a couple of top players who were successful as managers?

My impressions are the best players aren't usually the best managers. I know Neville is a great analyser - Mick Mills is far better at it than his management record.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Your top 5 managerial choices from these 20 realistic potential candidates on 21:36 - Apr 6 with 3403 viewsbontcho

Your top 5 managerial choices from these 20 realistic potential candidates on 21:25 - Apr 6 by Nthsuffolkblue

Can you name me a couple of top players who were successful as managers?

My impressions are the best players aren't usually the best managers. I know Neville is a great analyser - Mick Mills is far better at it than his management record.

Whilst this is probably true, I’ll give you Johan Cryuff, Antonia Conte, Sir Bobby and Pep Guardiola as a start.

Bulgarian penalty hero
Poll: Which Harrison should we sign?

Your top 5 managerial choices from these 20 realistic potential candidates on 21:36 - Apr 6 with 3403 viewspedrail

Ross
Steijn
Hurst
Warburton
Jones
Your top 5 managerial choices from these 20 realistic potential candidates on 21:39 - Apr 6 with 3401 viewsLuk38644

1. Mark Warburton
2. Tony Mowbray
3. Maurice Steijn
4. Paul Cook
5. Nathan Jones

The only reason Steijn isn't my number one is because he'd be alot more risky than the top two, certainly more exciting though!
Your top 5 managerial choices from these 20 realistic potential candidates on 21:45 - Apr 6 with 3400 viewsAllyW

1. Mark Warburton
2. Danny Cowley
3. Derek Adams
4. Gareth Ainsworth
5. Tony Mowbray
Your top 5 managerial choices from these 20 realistic potential candidates on 21:45 - Apr 6 with 3400 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Your top 5 managerial choices from these 20 realistic potential candidates on 21:36 - Apr 6 by bontcho

Whilst this is probably true, I’ll give you Johan Cryuff, Antonia Conte, Sir Bobby and Pep Guardiola as a start.

OK. Thanks. Didn't realise Sir Bobby had been so successful as a player until I looked up his stats.

Certainly there are enough there to suggest the right person might make the transition successfully.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Your top 5 managerial choices from these 20 realistic potential candidates on 01:19 - Apr 7 with 3325 viewshenryblue

1. Maurice Steijn
2. Mark Warburton
3. Paul Hurst
4. Derek Adams
5. Alan Pardew
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024