Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Amazing how many people seem to be up for... 06:44 - Apr 16 with 10793 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

...appointing a celebrity as our manager

As opposed to you know, appointing an actual football manager

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 09:14 - Apr 16 with 2223 viewsitfcjoe

I wouldn't be too against either Frank or Stevie - not together though as we all know they can't play together in same team so wouldn't manage.

My biggest concern would be geographically for Stevie G - he has had basically the same day to day routine for 25 years of travelling in from somewhere near Liverpool's training ground. And has a house there surrounded by friends and family that will be his long term home. Hard to fully commit to the area when you won't be based here full time.

With regards to Lampard, I have seen him in Dedham a couple of times, and seen his Dad there numerous times so living in this area isn't going to be as big a deal. There's also the element that if we were to use them to attract players either on loan or released by their club - FL is better placed to attract players from nearby

Whilst neither would be my first choice - both are proven winners, with an incredible work ethic and reputation within the game. They'll get a chance soon and will both be smart enough to surround themselves with good people and do what they can to succeed.

They aren't celebrities turning up to have a go, they are very serious football men with a great deal of understanding of how the game works - biggest issue will be attracting them with our budgets if we want them

EDIT - I Know SG moved to LA, but it's not Quite the same...
[Post edited 16 Apr 2018 9:19]

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 09:19 - Apr 16 with 2202 viewsLord_Lucan

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 09:14 - Apr 16 by itfcjoe

I wouldn't be too against either Frank or Stevie - not together though as we all know they can't play together in same team so wouldn't manage.

My biggest concern would be geographically for Stevie G - he has had basically the same day to day routine for 25 years of travelling in from somewhere near Liverpool's training ground. And has a house there surrounded by friends and family that will be his long term home. Hard to fully commit to the area when you won't be based here full time.

With regards to Lampard, I have seen him in Dedham a couple of times, and seen his Dad there numerous times so living in this area isn't going to be as big a deal. There's also the element that if we were to use them to attract players either on loan or released by their club - FL is better placed to attract players from nearby

Whilst neither would be my first choice - both are proven winners, with an incredible work ethic and reputation within the game. They'll get a chance soon and will both be smart enough to surround themselves with good people and do what they can to succeed.

They aren't celebrities turning up to have a go, they are very serious football men with a great deal of understanding of how the game works - biggest issue will be attracting them with our budgets if we want them

I largely agree, many players would love the chance to play under either of those two and despite what some say I think there is nothing wrong with raising our profile, although I have reservations about Gerrard.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 09:21 - Apr 16 with 2182 viewsfactual_blue

The lovely Debbie McGee perhaps?

Or maybe Dec - now he's Antless.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 09:22 - Apr 16 with 2176 viewsfactual_blue

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 07:13 - Apr 16 by Reuser_is_God

So you keep fcuking saying.

You repeat yourself more than Benters.

balls

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 09:31 - Apr 16 with 2170 viewsSomethingBlue

Gerrard in particular is going to do very well I think; had the right idea in starting out with Liverpool's kids and listening to Klopp & others around him. Know he's really made an impression there and not only on the pitch, think he knows how to handle the players and was very good with Rhian Brewster after the racism incident.

My feeling is he'll probably give it another year and there's also the point, as I think Steve said, that our structure doesn't necessarily lend itself to a rookie. But it's worth sounding people like this out, you never know where it can lead.

I also think for anyone 35 and over, whether "famous" or not, we are also a quite attractive name to try and revive; people remember the teams and stories they grew up with, people in football do tend to speak with a certain sepia-tintedness about Ipswich despite the huge frustrations we've endured over the past decade.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2018 9:33]

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 09:31 - Apr 16 with 2168 viewsWadeyBlue

Who knows how it would go.

What i will say is a while back we appointed a manager who's only experience was 6 months in charge of a club which he couldnt save from relegation, who then got sacked for it. We took him on, and the rest is our history....

Whether its luck or whetever some inexperienced managers just click with a new club and it works, some experienced managers dont and its a disaster.

Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear eats you....

Poll: In our multicultural society and ever changing world should we offer halal food?

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 09:33 - Apr 16 with 2156 viewsITFC_Forever

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 09:31 - Apr 16 by SomethingBlue

Gerrard in particular is going to do very well I think; had the right idea in starting out with Liverpool's kids and listening to Klopp & others around him. Know he's really made an impression there and not only on the pitch, think he knows how to handle the players and was very good with Rhian Brewster after the racism incident.

My feeling is he'll probably give it another year and there's also the point, as I think Steve said, that our structure doesn't necessarily lend itself to a rookie. But it's worth sounding people like this out, you never know where it can lead.

I also think for anyone 35 and over, whether "famous" or not, we are also a quite attractive name to try and revive; people remember the teams and stories they grew up with, people in football do tend to speak with a certain sepia-tintedness about Ipswich despite the huge frustrations we've endured over the past decade.

I also seem to remember you suggesting "throwing all the money we can afford" at Keane, about 6 months before he left....

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 09:39 - Apr 16 with 2138 viewsSomethingBlue

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 09:33 - Apr 16 by ITFC_Forever

I also seem to remember you suggesting "throwing all the money we can afford" at Keane, about 6 months before he left....

Had I been drinking? I do remember correctly predicting — on this message board — that he'd be our next manager long before he was appointed.

Login to get fewer ads

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 09:54 - Apr 16 with 2109 viewsITFC_Forever

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 09:39 - Apr 16 by SomethingBlue

Had I been drinking? I do remember correctly predicting — on this message board — that he'd be our next manager long before he was appointed.

Possibly....

Although I think Gerrard isn't a suggestion we should dismiss out of hand..... I think I'd rather have him than some of the same old faces who have achieved nothing for years (Pardew, Cotterill, Megson etc) or some of the old ITFC players people are suggesting just because they used to play for us (Kuqi, McGreal).

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 09:57 - Apr 16 with 2099 viewsTonyHumesIpswich

Let's bring in Vinnie Jones, with Duncan Ferguson as Assistant Manager. You can hear those half-time talks across Ipswich.
Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 10:07 - Apr 16 with 2068 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Haven't really seen anyone banging the drum for Lampard or Gerrard, just people discussing the fact that they have been linked.

Dont get yourself too stressed about it.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 10:09 - Apr 16 with 2060 viewsitfctim

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 09:31 - Apr 16 by SomethingBlue

Love the sepia-tintedness comment, and agree.
Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 10:14 - Apr 16 with 2051 viewsSWGF

The key, as you state, is to surround yourself with good people. They'd need a strong mentor/advisor. Keane had that with Sbragia at Sunderland but didn't have that with us.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 10:15 - Apr 16 with 2052 viewsBlueBadger

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 08:26 - Apr 16 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Someone’s a sucker for a celebrity

amazing how some are willing to castigate their fellow Town fans as yokels and bumpkins when it comes to away trips, but not when it comes to the Very Famous But Not Very Proven.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 10:16 - Apr 16 with 2043 viewsLord_Lucan

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 09:54 - Apr 16 by ITFC_Forever

Possibly....

Although I think Gerrard isn't a suggestion we should dismiss out of hand..... I think I'd rather have him than some of the same old faces who have achieved nothing for years (Pardew, Cotterill, Megson etc) or some of the old ITFC players people are suggesting just because they used to play for us (Kuqi, McGreal).

Why do people keep mentioning Megson year after year?

He is top of the "Anyone but" list.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 10:17 - Apr 16 with 2039 viewsITFC_Forever

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 10:16 - Apr 16 by Lord_Lucan

Why do people keep mentioning Megson year after year?

He is top of the "Anyone but" list.

More the fear that someone somewhere will give him a job - and no-one wants it to be us.

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 10:20 - Apr 16 with 2029 viewsKieran_Knows

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 10:14 - Apr 16 by SWGF

The key, as you state, is to surround yourself with good people. They'd need a strong mentor/advisor. Keane had that with Sbragia at Sunderland but didn't have that with us.

Didn't Keane try to bring Sbragia here at one point?

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 10:20 - Apr 16 with 2030 viewsLord_Lucan

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 10:17 - Apr 16 by ITFC_Forever

More the fear that someone somewhere will give him a job - and no-one wants it to be us.

When Clegg was here he done some research and came up with a list of potential managers that would be wholly unacceptable to the fanbase and Megson was top of the pops.

I'm hoping the list is still in ME's pocket.

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 10:24 - Apr 16 with 2015 viewsITFC_Forever

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 10:20 - Apr 16 by Lord_Lucan

When Clegg was here he done some research and came up with a list of potential managers that would be wholly unacceptable to the fanbase and Megson was top of the pops.

You'd hope so.....

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 10:25 - Apr 16 with 2014 viewsGuthrum

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 09:31 - Apr 16 by WadeyBlue

Who knows how it would go.

What i will say is a while back we appointed a manager who's only experience was 6 months in charge of a club which he couldnt save from relegation, who then got sacked for it. We took him on, and the rest is our history....

Whether its luck or whetever some inexperienced managers just click with a new club and it works, some experienced managers dont and its a disaster.

Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear eats you....

Twice we've appointed former nationally-renowned players and in both cases it's been a disaster.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 10:26 - Apr 16 with 2009 viewsTonyHumesIpswich

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 10:20 - Apr 16 by Lord_Lucan

Wouldn't surprise me if Ruel Fox expressed an interest in a coaching role, given he is Ipswich based.
Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 10:27 - Apr 16 with 2005 viewsSomethingBlue

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 10:25 - Apr 16 by Guthrum

Twice we've appointed former nationally-renowned players and in both cases it's been a disaster.

Don't think that matters, it's all about the individual. Not a route we should go down blindly but think we have to investigate all avenues. Evans has probably heard interesting things about Gerrard in particular and it's right to follow up.

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 10:29 - Apr 16 with 2001 viewsLord_Lucan

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 10:27 - Apr 16 by SomethingBlue

Don't think that matters, it's all about the individual. Not a route we should go down blindly but think we have to investigate all avenues. Evans has probably heard interesting things about Gerrard in particular and it's right to follow up.

My main issue with Gerrard is how he would cope with living in Ipswich.

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 10:32 - Apr 16 with 1996 viewsSomethingBlue

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 10:29 - Apr 16 by Lord_Lucan

My main issue with Gerrard is how he would cope with living in Ipswich.

It's a fair point too — has to be 100% commitment while they're here, or nothing,

Then again he is a pretty quiet type and I can imagine him liking Suffolk. Long way from family and friends all the same though, as Joe said.

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 10:45 - Apr 16 with 1964 viewsJohnny_Boy

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 08:24 - Apr 16 by DanTheMan

Lampard with Redknapp as DoF.

I wasn't aware Louise had her coaching badges.

Fair play if she does.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024