Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wrong place at the wrong time trips 08:46 - May 3 with 5472 viewsunbelievablue

Inspired by ABB and his Bruges trip a few weeks after Heysel, anyone gone on Holiday to somewhere which turned out to be at the worst possible time for that destination? I fancy some early Thursday Schadenfreude.
[Post edited 3 May 2018 8:46]

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Wrong place at the wrong time trips on 08:50 - May 3 with 4430 viewsGeoffSentence

Not me, but a friend of mine was in Kenya during the coup a few years back. I bumped into him in hospital, he had plaster on his leg. It turned out he broken his leg with an over-enthusiastic tackle whilst playing football on the beach, hadn't seen any trouble and was barely aware.Of it.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Wrong place at the wrong time trips on 08:52 - May 3 with 4423 viewsartsbossbeard

Not me but my ex-boss was holidaying in San Francisco on 9/11.

Didn't get back to the UK until 10 days after he was due to get back - no flights, then no available flights & the hotel could only offer him 6x further nights so ended up sleeping at the hotel owners house for 3 nights as he took pity on them.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Wrong place at the wrong time trips on 08:55 - May 3 with 4419 viewsKeno

I have a 'nearly' one

My Dad and Uncle were going to be evacuated from London to Guernsey in May 1940 as the family thought it would be safer.

Fortunately the boats stopped going that before their tickets were bought

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Wrong place at the wrong time trips on 08:58 - May 3 with 4398 viewsUB9Blue

Not quite in keeping with your question.....but I was in County Kerry just after the Enniskillen bombing in 1987 and there was a distinct feeling in the pubs that things had gone too far and had to change. I believe this event may have been a turning point in the 'troubles'
Wrong place at the wrong time trips on 08:58 - May 3 with 4393 viewsunbelievablue

Wrong place at the wrong time trips on 08:55 - May 3 by Keno

I have a 'nearly' one

My Dad and Uncle were going to be evacuated from London to Guernsey in May 1940 as the family thought it would be safer.

Fortunately the boats stopped going that before their tickets were bought

Bloody hell!

Wrong place at the wrong time trips on 09:00 - May 3 with 4383 viewsSaleAway

Didn't turn out too bad, but I flew to the Middle East on the day that the US began their invasion of afghanistan post 9/11... All was quiet when I took off, turned my phone back on on arrival, to be greeted by a barrage of texts from friends and family with such comments as:

"Keep your head down, the war's started"
"Oooh, wouldn't want to be flying to the Middle East today ;-)"

We jumped in a taxi to the hotel, deciding to give it 24 hours to see how it turned out, and it was fine ( we were in Jordan, so generally pretty pro-western).

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Wrong place at the wrong time trips on 09:09 - May 3 with 4343 viewsStokieBlue

Only things I can think of are one time in Peru when there was a national strike and we had to stay in Ollantaytambo for an extra day because anyone trying to break the pickets was being attacked by the strikers. It was actually pretty violent.

Also the classic Icelandic volcano which stranded me in Spain for a few days and meant I had to drive from the south to the north to catch a ferry as no planes were flying.

Neither that major.

Been quite a few things happen just after I've been somewhere though, that seemed to be a thing for a while. Started to assume I was bad luck.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Wrong place at the wrong time trips on 09:15 - May 3 with 4326 viewsSaleAway

Wrong place at the wrong time trips on 09:09 - May 3 by StokieBlue

Only things I can think of are one time in Peru when there was a national strike and we had to stay in Ollantaytambo for an extra day because anyone trying to break the pickets was being attacked by the strikers. It was actually pretty violent.

Also the classic Icelandic volcano which stranded me in Spain for a few days and meant I had to drive from the south to the north to catch a ferry as no planes were flying.

Neither that major.

Been quite a few things happen just after I've been somewhere though, that seemed to be a thing for a while. Started to assume I was bad luck.

SB

Which reminds me - if the IRA Ealing bomb had been exactly 24 hours earlier - I'd no longer be here... I was walking home from the squash club at midnight, straight past where they parked the Saab the next night....

Login to get fewer ads

Wrong place at the wrong time trips on 09:24 - May 3 with 4305 viewsSteve_M

During the early 2000s I did get stuck inside a pub in Soho during the May Day protests.

Actually that wasn't bad at all but it was a bit surreal to watch the 10pm news and see the film of that street on it.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Wrong place at the wrong time trips on 10:08 - May 3 with 4241 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Not directly related but England's first game in the WC 2006 in Frankfurt. There must have been 20,000 English in the main square and somebody was attempting to get married in a lovely building. It didn't happen.
[Post edited 3 May 2018 10:09]
Wrong place at the wrong time trips on 10:08 - May 3 with 4229 viewsStokieBlue

Wrong place at the wrong time trips on 09:24 - May 3 by Steve_M

During the early 2000s I did get stuck inside a pub in Soho during the May Day protests.

Actually that wasn't bad at all but it was a bit surreal to watch the 10pm news and see the film of that street on it.

That's reminded me actually. Not really a bad thing but I got stuck in a pub in Cusco because the town square we looked down on was rammed with about 100,000 people doing the semana santa parade around the town and the police wouldn't let anyone out.

It was crazy down there but not as crazy as when the barman decided that perhaps I wouldn't want any more Peruvian drinks and instead I would perhaps like to try and Abbot Ale!

I don't like Abbot Ale at the best of times but it has no place in a pub 3000m up in the Peruvian Andes - amazing where things end up!

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Wrong place at the wrong time trips on 10:16 - May 3 with 4215 viewstractorshark

My mate’s mum used to tell us she left the Blind Beggar pub just minutes before Ronnie Kray walked in and shot Cornell.
I was impressed until I realised another 5,000 Cockneys tell the same story.
Must be a big pub or have a large beer garden...
Wrong place at the wrong time trips on 10:33 - May 3 with 4177 viewsbracknell_blue

Destination was unimportant but the timing was the issue. Had flights booked to Brussels on 12 September 1999, returning 14th, for a work meeting. Heathrow was exceptionally quiet on the 12th, no security to speak of there or in Brussels, and very few passengers about. Coming back everyone was body-searched, planes delayed, the lot.

Poll: Should Thatcher have a state funeral

Wrong place at the wrong time trips on 11:36 - May 3 with 4105 viewsGarv

I was at Carrow Road on 18/02/2018.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Wrong place at the wrong time trips on 11:43 - May 3 with 4094 viewsSaleAway

Wrong place at the wrong time trips on 10:33 - May 3 by bracknell_blue

Destination was unimportant but the timing was the issue. Had flights booked to Brussels on 12 September 1999, returning 14th, for a work meeting. Heathrow was exceptionally quiet on the 12th, no security to speak of there or in Brussels, and very few passengers about. Coming back everyone was body-searched, planes delayed, the lot.

preparing to be whooshed, but what happened in 1999? or did you mean 2001?

Wrong place at the wrong time trips on 11:57 - May 3 with 4062 viewsconnorscontract

Wrong place at the wrong time trips on 11:43 - May 3 by SaleAway

preparing to be whooshed, but what happened in 1999? or did you mean 2001?

Or maybe they went away for two years?
Wrong place at the wrong time trips on 12:09 - May 3 with 4035 viewsDarth_Koont

San Sebastian bar crawl in the late 80s and suddenly we were in the middle of an ETA demonstration/riot.

It was only afterwards that we found out these were semi-regular shows of strength and the Guardia Civil was intentionally firing the rubber bullets away from people. Still, when one of the ETA supporters in the bar made a big thing of showing everyone the machete he was carrying I was sh!tting myself.

Pronouns: He/Him

Wrong place at the wrong time trips on 12:12 - May 3 with 4032 viewsLord_Lucan

I was in China when Bird Flu hit and people were dying all over the place!

Dalai Farmer was due to be in New Orleans when Katrina struck but for some reason he didn't go.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Wrong place at the wrong time trips on 12:16 - May 3 with 4011 viewsKeno

Wrong place at the wrong time trips on 12:12 - May 3 by Lord_Lucan

I was in China when Bird Flu hit and people were dying all over the place!

Dalai Farmer was due to be in New Orleans when Katrina struck but for some reason he didn't go.

isn't that DF on the left?

Wrong place at the wrong time trips on 12:29 - May 3 with 3980 viewsTractorWood

Was in a Munich beer garden a few years ago and hadn't clocked Austria were playing Germany that evening at the Allianz. Fairly large scale disorder ensued out and saw a guy get kicked down a flight of stairs. Really grim.

No mention of it in the local papers or media, at all.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Wrong place at the wrong time trips on 12:47 - May 3 with 3927 viewsLord_Lucan

Here's another - although I have told this one before.

I was peddling my wares at The Lammas Fair in Ballycastle standing a few yards away from a bloody great car bomb. Thankfully it was found and defused.

My picture was on the front page of The Belfast Telegraph

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Wrong place at the wrong time trips on 12:48 - May 3 with 3917 viewsunbelievablue

Wrong place at the wrong time trips on 12:47 - May 3 by Lord_Lucan

Here's another - although I have told this one before.

I was peddling my wares at The Lammas Fair in Ballycastle standing a few yards away from a bloody great car bomb. Thankfully it was found and defused.

My picture was on the front page of The Belfast Telegraph

Republican or Loyalist?

Wrong place at the wrong time trips on 12:53 - May 3 with 3902 viewsKeno

Wrong place at the wrong time trips on 12:48 - May 3 by unbelievablue

Republican or Loyalist?

I imagine LL is a Loyalist, although he knows a few publicans

Wrong place at the wrong time trips on 12:58 - May 3 with 3889 viewsBLUEBEAT

Was in Phuket a few weeks after the Tsunami.

Pretty much everywhere had been cleaned up and you wouldn’t have had a clue about the decimation if you were news ignorant.

Felt really guilty being there. The beaches were pretty much devoid of tourists who had obviously cancelled in their masses. This was a double-hit to the economy who obviously rely on the tourist trade.

Poll: W or W

Wrong place at the wrong time trips on 13:12 - May 3 with 3858 viewsLord_Lucan

Wrong place at the wrong time trips on 12:48 - May 3 by unbelievablue

Republican or Loyalist?

The bomb was planted by Loyalists. Ballycastle is very much a republican stronghold.

One time I went I was in my room and about 10 blokes started kicking on my door and singing "Go home British soldier go home". I was only there selling yo yo balloons.

Every pub you went in you ran the risk of getting shot once you opened your mouth and asked for a drink in an English accent. I even got attacked by the local hairdresser.

Funny thing happened one night - although it wasn't funny at the time. I was in this pub and there was a big Karaoke thing going on. I was talking with a group of girls and they kept asking me to do a song and I kept refusing (I don't think they understood how hated Englishmen were) Anyhoo, unbeknown to be they put a request on for me and all of a sudden I heard "And the next singer is Lord Lucan". I nearly fell over when I saw what they had requested for me, it was Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner - which to my credit I actually sung in front of a pub full of confused Micks.

Every trip was a nightmare but I used to take a lot of dough. I went 5 years on the trot.

Fecking place!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024