Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Labour party.... 08:11 - Sep 11 with 37740 viewsitfcjoe

....I made this mkistake of falling down the Labour rabbit hole on Social Media, it is like rubber necking at an accident site. Absolute carnage on there.

So much in-fighting and disagreements and re-writing of history.

Clair achieved nothing - Sure Start was Tessa Jowell, Minimum Wage was Gordon Brown, etc..............but of course everything bad was solely down to Blair.

Any MP who speaks out about Corbyn or anti-semitism they are trying to get deselected - including someone who won Canterbury for first time (by 186 votes) in forever - although this was all down to Momentum's campaigning and not the candidate at all of course.

Chuka has said that the likes of McDonnell need to 'call off the dogs', you know that common saying.....apparently it means he has called members out as actual dogs. You couldn't make it up.

It would be funny if it wasn't so serious, how do they expect to win an election? All they talk about is how many members they now have as though that is what will win it for them.

I don't understand why being centrist has become such a bad thing, surely most people are or am I just wrong? The nutters I see on both sides of the divide can't be representative of normal people surely? Why don't people want what was New Labour, don't they realise compromises had to be made by likes of Blair and Brown to push through all the reform they did for the poorest people in the country?

It's all very student politics out there, and if there was a GE called now, the Tory party would increase their majority.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The Labour party.... on 15:14 - Sep 11 with 1986 viewsmonytowbray

The Labour party.... on 12:46 - Sep 11 by itfcjoe

I've given up, there is no point in engaging as s/he just doesn't say anything - just talks around every point and in flowery pseudo-intellectual waffle. It's like speaking to someone on a different planet - we don't seem to share any frames of reference.

So because you don't understand the other person you're going to run away from debate but pretend you're right.

Classic Joe!

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

The Labour party.... on 15:19 - Sep 11 with 1966 viewsmonytowbray

on 15:14 - Sep 11 by _

Any splinter party would essentially be a protest vote at this point. Labour's "moderates" have failed to win a general election with their elected candidate twice and still can't let go of the fact their vision of the party is now irrelevant.

If they really believe they're that popular I think they should go off and start a new party though by all means.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

on 15:21 - Sep 11 with 1951 views_

The Labour party.... on 15:19 - Sep 11 by monytowbray

Any splinter party would essentially be a protest vote at this point. Labour's "moderates" have failed to win a general election with their elected candidate twice and still can't let go of the fact their vision of the party is now irrelevant.

If they really believe they're that popular I think they should go off and start a new party though by all means.

The Labour party.... on 15:25 - Sep 11 with 1945 viewsBrixtonBlue

The Labour party.... on 15:11 - Sep 11 by Steve_M

What do you mean by "Brexit might be a little unclear to some"? What is the Labour Party policy here?

I know that Corbyn is anti-Europe, I think most people know that. I suspect Brexit will be too far gone if/when Corbyn is in power to reverse it anyway.

As a Remainer his views on Europe are not something I agree with (despite being accused of supporting everything he does and being in a cult by lazy Glaswegians). But my vote come election time is going to be in light of many issues, not just Brexit. I've already cast my vote on that.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

The Labour party.... on 15:27 - Sep 11 with 1933 viewsBrixtonBlue

on 15:21 - Sep 11 by _

He's little more than an after dinner speaker now isn't he?

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

The Labour party.... on 15:27 - Sep 11 with 1930 viewsStokieBlue

on 15:21 - Sep 11 by _

At this point would Blair be any worse than the two total showers we have?

We would be back in the EU sharpish and he's a bit old to go around starting wars. I know in reality he's toxic and it can't happen but it's an insight into how far we have fallen as a political nation that it's even mentioned.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

The Labour party.... on 15:28 - Sep 11 with 1927 viewshype313

The Labour party.... on 15:14 - Sep 11 by monytowbray

So because you don't understand the other person you're going to run away from debate but pretend you're right.

Classic Joe!

No one understands him, he talks complete waffle and guff, dresses it up in some pseudo intellectual nonsense to make it sound plausible.

I'm not buying it.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

The Labour party.... on 15:28 - Sep 11 with 1922 viewsVic

The Labour party.... on 14:47 - Sep 11 by Darth_Koont

I don't like how provocative it is but I get the underlying point her and the Israeli protesters were making.

http://www.kampania-palestyna.pl/index.php/2010/06/29/gaza-freedom-graffiti-in-t

The ex-Israeli Air Force guy sums it up at the end about not being silent.

Lets accept for a moment that she has a point and the stuff in Gaza and Israel is not all one sided. But still, for Labour to allow her to speak given the current debate within the party utterly ridiculous. What do they really think it will achieve? What message does this convey? It's like someone said earlier that some in the party are just hell bent on having their way for idealistic reasons regardless of the cost. They really don;t seem to want to win people's support but simply to win the argument.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Login to get fewer ads

The Labour party.... on 15:30 - Sep 11 with 1916 viewshype313

The Labour party.... on 15:27 - Sep 11 by StokieBlue

We would be back in the EU sharpish and he's a bit old to go around starting wars. I know in reality he's toxic and it can't happen but it's an insight into how far we have fallen as a political nation that it's even mentioned.

SB

Not a great benchmark to compare him though is it? But, you're right, the mere fact he is being talked about in this sense shows how far we have fallen politically.

The Labour party.... on 15:30 - Sep 11 with 1907 viewsStokieBlue

This version of Labour have also failed to win an election with their elected candidate against some very poor opposition.

If he loses again is Corbynism irrelevant?

SB

The Labour party.... on 15:31 - Sep 11 with 1899 viewsBluesquid

"If they really believe they're that popular I think they should go off and start a new party though by all means."

I wish they would, so we would be rid of them but unfortunately it isn't that easy.

They have no intention of leaving, their purpose is to stay and continue to divide and disrupt the labour party so that the establishment have a divided and weakened opposition.
[Post edited 11 Sep 2018 15:34]
on 15:31 - Sep 11 with 1900 views_

The Labour party.... on 15:27 - Sep 11 by StokieBlue

SB

The Labour party.... on 15:34 - Sep 11 with 1876 viewshype313

on 15:31 - Sep 11 by _

Likewise, and I voted for the Charlatan in 97.

The Labour party.... on 15:35 - Sep 11 with 1867 viewsBrixtonBlue

The Labour party.... on 15:30 - Sep 11 by StokieBlue

This version of Labour have also failed to win an election with their elected candidate against some very poor opposition.

If he loses again is Corbynism irrelevant?

SB

Unfair. Labour were streets behind the Tories until Corbyn galvanised them. He's brought them closer to toppling them than anyone in recent times. Next election is the big test.

The Labour party.... on 15:35 - Sep 11 with 1865 viewsStokieBlue

on 15:31 - Sep 11 by _

I think the majority are with you on this one.

It's just a good example to highlight how useless our politics is at the moment that someone with Blair's history is even in your thoughts.

SB

The Labour party.... on 15:35 - Sep 11 with 1863 viewsVic

The Labour party.... on 15:14 - Sep 11 by monytowbray

Classic Joe!

That's really unfair. Joe is one of the most objective, fair and middle of the road posters on here. That he doesn't want to sit and go round and round and over and over the same thing doesn't mean he's running away. That's such a cheap shot C, and you're better than that.

The Labour party.... on 15:36 - Sep 11 with 1851 viewsStokieBlue

The Labour party.... on 15:35 - Sep 11 by BrixtonBlue

Unfair. Labour were streets behind the Tories until Corbyn galvanised them. He's brought them closer to toppling them than anyone in recent times. Next election is the big test.

How is it unfair? If one is going to use elections lost as a way to dismiss the views of a large section of Labour supporters as irrelevant then the same metric should be used for all views and supporters.

We've been repeatedly told by grom that Labour is a broad church. Calling moderates "irrelevant" doesn't seem to tally with this very well.

SB
[Post edited 11 Sep 2018 15:37]

The Labour party.... on 15:37 - Sep 11 with 1850 viewsDarth_Koont

The Labour party.... on 15:28 - Sep 11 by Vic

Lets accept for a moment that she has a point and the stuff in Gaza and Israel is not all one sided. But still, for Labour to allow her to speak given the current debate within the party utterly ridiculous. What do they really think it will achieve? What message does this convey? It's like someone said earlier that some in the party are just hell bent on having their way for idealistic reasons regardless of the cost. They really don;t seem to want to win people's support but simply to win the argument.

I disagree. She's a part of the BDS movement (amongst other things) which has much support in the Labour Party and indeed is a part of any democratic discussion on the Middle East.

Seems the norm in the current "debate" to see how badly things can be portrayed even when they're not actually that bad.

Pronouns: He/Him

The Labour party.... on 15:38 - Sep 11 with 1837 viewshype313

The Labour party.... on 15:35 - Sep 11 by BrixtonBlue

Corbyn is like his football team, promises lots, but is a perennial failure.

The Labour party.... on 15:38 - Sep 11 with 1833 viewsBrixtonBlue

The Labour party.... on 15:36 - Sep 11 by StokieBlue

How is it unfair? If one is going to use elections lost as a way to dismiss the views of a large section of Labour supporters as irrelevant then the same metric should be used for all views and supporters.

We've been repeatedly told by grom that Labour is a broad church. Calling moderates "irrelevant" doesn't seem to tally with this very well.

SB
[Post edited 11 Sep 2018 15:37]

I've explained why it's unfair. Why are you asking me again?

The Labour party.... on 15:39 - Sep 11 with 1823 viewsStokieBlue

The Labour party.... on 15:31 - Sep 11 by Bluesquid

"If they really believe they're that popular I think they should go off and start a new party though by all means."

I wish they would, so we would be rid of them but unfortunately it isn't that easy.

They have no intention of leaving, their purpose is to stay and continue to divide and disrupt the labour party so that the establishment have a divided and weakened opposition.
[Post edited 11 Sep 2018 15:34]

Labour is a broad church, all views respected and taken on board.

Wanting people gone from the party because they don't agree with the current policies wholeheartedly doesn't seem to fit what I've been told over the last two days.

SB

The Labour party.... on 15:39 - Sep 11 with 1821 viewsVic

The Labour party.... on 15:25 - Sep 11 by BrixtonBlue

I know that Corbyn is anti-Europe, I think most people know that. I suspect Brexit will be too far gone if/when Corbyn is in power to reverse it anyway.

As a Remainer his views on Europe are not something I agree with (despite being accused of supporting everything he does and being in a cult by lazy Glaswegians). But my vote come election time is going to be in light of many issues, not just Brexit. I've already cast my vote on that.

Glad to see you've made your mind up before you know how things will be when the next GE is called!

Edit - ignore this, I misread your post Apologies!
[Post edited 11 Sep 2018 15:43]

The Labour party.... on 15:40 - Sep 11 with 1815 viewsStokieBlue

The Labour party.... on 15:38 - Sep 11 by BrixtonBlue

I've explained why it's unfair. Why are you asking me again?

It was a rhetorical question which I've then gone on to explain. The point you made has nothing at all to do with the metric used.

If you are going to apply a metric is should be applied evenly across all scenarios.

Bit of a harsh down vote in my opinion :).

SB
[Post edited 11 Sep 2018 15:41]

The Labour party.... on 15:41 - Sep 11 with 1808 viewsBrixtonBlue

The Labour party.... on 15:38 - Sep 11 by hype313

Corbyn is like his football team, promises lots, but is a perennial failure.

Utter nonsense. He's won election to his own party, seen off challengers and failed to win one General Election (but came much closer than anyone predicted).

How on earth is that a perennial failure?

The Labour party.... on 15:43 - Sep 11 with 1795 viewsWeWereZombies

on 15:14 - Sep 11 by _

If Blair is centre left then Jon Walters is a goalkeeper.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024