Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
7 observations from somebody who hasn't seen a Paul Hurst team live 23:45 - Oct 24 with 3792 viewsRoyKeanesDog

1) Just because Hurst isn't the answer, doesn't mean the question shouldn't have been asked.

Year by year a further nail is hammered into the coffin of the soul of football, and this year it is the admittedly useful addition of the Red Button match choice from Sky Sports for midweek FL games - which I took advantage of again tonight. They wheeled out this week's clueless commentator for the game, equipped with quick witted jibes about the amount of changes to our line up, and it took him less than ten minutes to mention the media's favourite man - Mick McCarthy. "Mick McCarthy was probably under appreciated by the fans of Ipswich, they wanted change and it isn't working out well for him". I was a Mick supporter longer than most, but I will admit that outsiders really do seem to miss the point. We knew that getting a new manager was a risk, we knew that Mick was unlikely to get us relegated, and we knew the position we are in now was a possibility- but how many people would say they wish we kept Mick? We had to risk hell to escape purgatory.

2) Every game that he stays, is a lost chance to pick up crucial points for his successor.

I don't think anybody has any malicious hatred towards Hurst, but I don't think there are many that honestly believe that he can turn it around. We took a gamble on a younger manager, which a lot of us wanted, but it came apparent about a month ago that the wrong younger manager was appointed. Apart from a slither of a false dawn at Swansea, there are very few positives to mention about Paul Hurst, even if you clutch at straws. As it stands for a new manager, we are a club that is amongst the teams at the bottom of the table, with a group of players that probably has enough to warrant staying up when played correctly. In a month's time, there is a strong possibility that we will be asking for a miracle even greater than the one Mick performed when he came in 6 years ago. In the words of Mark Corrigan "you're not a bad person [Hurst], but I'm afraid you are a moron".

3) He is definitely making it up as he goes along.

No need for an explanation on this.

4) We can probably do a lot worse than George Burley

If somebody told me a year ago that I was saying this, I would've thought they were mad. At the moment, I don't see many alternate options that are greater. A few months ago we were filled with excitement at the prospect of hiring a manager with a long term view. Less than half a year later we need a fire fighter. Burley's obvious downfall is that he has been out of management for a long time, but he has positives that could counteract this. There is probably no other manager that could create the greatest amount of unity amongst fans overnight- the whole club needs an injection of enthusiasm and identity from top to bottom at the moment, and Burley could be the drug needed- with Butcher being the needle. I think, amongst with the lift the club would have, Burley has enough tactical prowess to keep us up. At the very least he will genuinely want to give youth the chance when it is deserved.

5) Hurst is a combination of Keane, Jewell, and McCarthy's bad points put together.

Harsh words, but I think they are true. I see Keane's arrogance and continuous habit of playing players out of position. Jewell's mismatch of loanees and free transfers- getting drastically rearranged each game. Mick's hit and hope approach that enraged so many of our fans last year. If Hurst is still here in a month- it's going to get nasty.

6) We've lost a generation of fans.

The awful running of the club has alienated so many fans over the past 5 years, we have lost so many older loyal fans- and they have inevitably not passed the following of the club down to their offspring. Despite most of the under 21's that support and follow our club being complete idiots (see tonight's chanting for example), I have to admire the fact that they do follow us- what have they ever witnessed to entice them back for the next game?

7) We should have hired Jack Ross

Sigh

Poll: Best Football Song

7 observations from somebody who hasn't seen a Paul Hurst team live on 23:54 - Oct 24 with 3724 viewsJ2BLUE

But we competed and were in the game...

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

7 observations from somebody who hasn't seen a Paul Hurst team live on 00:09 - Oct 25 with 3683 viewsRyorry

Spot on - apart from 4 imho, which would be risk on top of risk - with the extra possibility of spoiling the only good memories we have of the last 20 years ...

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

7 observations from somebody who hasn't seen a Paul Hurst team live on 00:25 - Oct 25 with 3626 viewsjudespiveyg

I actually think watching Ipswich as an u21 is easier than it is for most, I started watching during the Keane days, so you come to expect very little and the highs are rare and appreciated, I feel sorry for older fans who can remember their club being good, as it must be dissilusioning to see what their club's become.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

7 observations from somebody who hasn't seen a Paul Hurst team live on 00:34 - Oct 25 with 3609 viewstextbackup

all spot on points.

but id be sad to see Burley have his name against a relegation to league 1, as he couldn't stop this, he'd put some pride back, back wouldn't stop this. players aren't good enough to execute a plan

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

I wouldn't have a problem with that on 00:39 - Oct 25 with 3587 viewsDyland

7 observations from somebody who hasn't seen a Paul Hurst team live on 00:34 - Oct 25 by textbackup

all spot on points.

but id be sad to see Burley have his name against a relegation to league 1, as he couldn't stop this, he'd put some pride back, back wouldn't stop this. players aren't good enough to execute a plan

It would be a shot to nothing as far as I'm concerned.

Not that it's a great idea anyway tbh.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

7 observations from somebody who hasn't seen a Paul Hurst team live on 07:52 - Oct 25 with 3338 viewsGlasgowBlue

Good assessment.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

7 observations from somebody who hasn't seen a Paul Hurst team live on 08:09 - Oct 25 with 3256 viewsgordon

Agree with all of that.

On the issue of Burley, there is considerable benefit to hiring someone who has at least watched a fair amount of our games this season, and have either Nash or Hogg heavily involved.

If it's a few more games before Hurst goes, Evans will have to make an important decision on whether we go for the biggest name we can find, offer them loads of money to try and keep us up, get in some experienced pros in January to do the job.

Or whether we go for an e.g. Parker / Holland / Hogg / Nash + Burley arrangement, with an acceptance that we'll not throw the kitchen sink at staying up, but at least have the club in a better position for next season in League 1.
7 observations from somebody who hasn't seen a Paul Hurst team live on 08:14 - Oct 25 with 3231 viewschicoazul

I think I agree with all of this eloquent post apart from the bit about Jack Ross who preferred to go to an inferior club in a lower league. And let's not forget that although Hurst is young, he has been managing for ten years and is not some ingénue like Jim was.
Given Evans track record of senior appointments I think we all need to be ready for relegation.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Login to get fewer ads

7 observations from somebody who hasn't seen a Paul Hurst team live on 08:18 - Oct 25 with 3206 viewsElephantintheRoom

They are not observations they are opinions based on not knowing what was behind the appointment and the constraints he is working under. All are deep!y flawed. Ross didnt want the job Few would. Burley was an unmitigated disaster for this club. Hurst has made many mistakes but ITFC is a vacuum where not even paper clips can be bought without approval from abroad. Brum an Rotherham are doomed it is nigh on impossible to get relegated. It makes little difference where Town finish as long as they stay up and many would prefer the novelty of 3rd division football. MM a!ways leaves relegation in his wake. Staying up is almost a first for a post-MM club. Thiking a chsnge of manager can affect the way the c?ub is being used and abused is pathetic. Fans are NOT leaving in droves because of MM. They have left because ITFC is a vile tax avoidance vehicle with no relation to what the club once was.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

7 observations from somebody who hasn't seen a Paul Hurst team live on 08:19 - Oct 25 with 3196 viewsWeWereZombies

As someone who has never seen, and probably will never see, a Paul Hurst side (unless he is managing Accrington next season and we have somehow managed to show Evans the door too) I am just pushing this well written and enlightening post back to the top of the forum. Almost deserves a sticky.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

7 observations from somebody who hasn't seen a Paul Hurst team live on 08:20 - Oct 25 with 3185 viewsHarry_Palmer

7 observations from somebody who hasn't seen a Paul Hurst team live on 08:14 - Oct 25 by chicoazul

I think I agree with all of this eloquent post apart from the bit about Jack Ross who preferred to go to an inferior club in a lower league. And let's not forget that although Hurst is young, he has been managing for ten years and is not some ingénue like Jim was.
Given Evans track record of senior appointments I think we all need to be ready for relegation.

Jack Ross was never offered the job so he didn't have a decision to make. Had Evans offered it to him after his first or even second interview I suspect he would have accepted it and Sunderland would never have entered to equation.
7 observations from somebody who hasn't seen a Paul Hurst team live on 08:22 - Oct 25 with 3175 viewschicoazul

7 observations from somebody who hasn't seen a Paul Hurst team live on 08:18 - Oct 25 by ElephantintheRoom

They are not observations they are opinions based on not knowing what was behind the appointment and the constraints he is working under. All are deep!y flawed. Ross didnt want the job Few would. Burley was an unmitigated disaster for this club. Hurst has made many mistakes but ITFC is a vacuum where not even paper clips can be bought without approval from abroad. Brum an Rotherham are doomed it is nigh on impossible to get relegated. It makes little difference where Town finish as long as they stay up and many would prefer the novelty of 3rd division football. MM a!ways leaves relegation in his wake. Staying up is almost a first for a post-MM club. Thiking a chsnge of manager can affect the way the c?ub is being used and abused is pathetic. Fans are NOT leaving in droves because of MM. They have left because ITFC is a vile tax avoidance vehicle with no relation to what the club once was.

Good to have you back Newmie, or is that you Nerdyknowall?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

7 observations from somebody who hasn't seen a Paul Hurst team live on 10:05 - Oct 25 with 3002 viewsm14_blue

Post of the season so far.
7 observations from somebody who hasn't seen a Paul Hurst team live on 10:10 - Oct 25 with 2969 viewsReuser_is_God

Well said mate.

Agree with everything you’ve said.

But, like Texters has already said, I don’t want Burkey to have a relegation to L1 against his name.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

7 observations from somebody who hasn't seen a Paul Hurst team live on 10:12 - Oct 25 with 2947 viewsSteve_M

7 observations from somebody who hasn't seen a Paul Hurst team live on 08:22 - Oct 25 by chicoazul

Good to have you back Newmie, or is that you Nerdyknowall?

The latter clearly, the usual kernel of truth but exaggerated out of all proportion.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

7 observations from somebody who hasn't seen a Paul Hurst team live on 10:15 - Oct 25 with 2937 viewsBiGDonnie

Question 5 - WOW. I've never read a line before that made so much sense. He actually is all three of them combined.

FFS.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

7 observations from somebody who hasn't seen a Paul Hurst team live on 13:25 - Oct 25 with 2759 viewsRoyKeanesDog

7 observations from somebody who hasn't seen a Paul Hurst team live on 10:05 - Oct 25 by m14_blue

Post of the season so far.

Was aiming for post of the decade, but thanks.

Poll: Best Football Song

7 observations from somebody who hasn't seen a Paul Hurst team live on 13:33 - Oct 25 with 2693 viewsreusersfreekicks

He reminds me a bit of AVB at Chelsea - acting as if he has some greater overall knowledge and long term plan when really he is all at sea.
7 observations from somebody who hasn't seen a Paul Hurst team live on 13:45 - Oct 25 with 2616 viewsPinewoodblue

I am convinced George Burley would accept a short term contract to the end of the season as long as he had 30 games to do the job.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

7 observations from somebody who hasn't seen a Paul Hurst team live on 14:12 - Oct 25 with 2536 viewsBrixtonBlue

7 observations from somebody who hasn't seen a Paul Hurst team live on 00:09 - Oct 25 by Ryorry

Spot on - apart from 4 imho, which would be risk on top of risk - with the extra possibility of spoiling the only good memories we have of the last 20 years ...

Why would those memories be spoiled? They are done and can't be taken away.

We need to get away from this lilli-livered wibbling about it would be sad to see GB take us down. That's pathetic and selfish (not a direct attack at you Ryorry, but everyone worried about tainting the memories). We need to do what's best for ITFC and I for one am willing to risk GB's name being attached to our League 1 relegation... because of the potential gains.

We need to be positive and think about what he COULD achieve.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

7 observations from somebody who hasn't seen a Paul Hurst team live on 14:17 - Oct 25 with 2515 viewsBrixtonBlue

Agree with everything except for the bit about Burley being out of the game too long.

As I've said elsewhere, and no-one has yet been able to give me a definitive answer, what has being out of the game for a few years got to do with anything? He probably still has loads of contacts throughout the game and he certainly won’t have forgotten how to man-manage and coach. if there are new advances in coaching I'm sure the likes of Hogg, Nash and Dyer are up to speed on those.

And the Sports Science teams is already in place, for that side of things.

Fundamentally, has the art of getting the ball in the net more than the opposition really changed much since Burley was a manager?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

7 observations from somebody who hasn't seen a Paul Hurst team live on 14:57 - Oct 25 with 2444 viewsWhymarkmariner

7 observations from somebody who hasn't seen a Paul Hurst team live on 14:17 - Oct 25 by BrixtonBlue

Agree with everything except for the bit about Burley being out of the game too long.

As I've said elsewhere, and no-one has yet been able to give me a definitive answer, what has being out of the game for a few years got to do with anything? He probably still has loads of contacts throughout the game and he certainly won’t have forgotten how to man-manage and coach. if there are new advances in coaching I'm sure the likes of Hogg, Nash and Dyer are up to speed on those.

And the Sports Science teams is already in place, for that side of things.

Fundamentally, has the art of getting the ball in the net more than the opposition really changed much since Burley was a manager?

Unfortunately, nice guy though he may be Hurst has to go. It's a real shame as I along with many were glad when MM's reign wasn't extended and Hurst came in. But was he the right man out of those put forward ? Both Gerard and Lampard are doing well. But as has been said neither would want to run a team with both hands tied behind their backs. We, to a large extent are blaming Hurst, but the man at the top has made three errors out of four with Managers if you deem McCarthy as successful. Not very good for a business man. Perhaps he'll pay himself a large bonus for his ineptitude ?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024