Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I wonder if the penny will drop for Evans now 12:36 - Oct 26 with 5028 viewsHackneyblueboy

Lambert's arrival may save us in the short term, although far from guaranteed with the squad he is inheriting.

The problems though runs deeper and until Evans changes his philosophy, then all we can hope is at best to tread water and battle for mid table. This is not sustainable and will eventually lead to us going down.

I imagine Lambert would have wanted some assurances from Evans before accepting the job so hopefully there will be some investment in the playing squad over the next few years.

Without that, a change in manager is just delaying the inevitable.
[Post edited 26 Oct 2018 12:37]
I wonder if the penny will drop for Evans now on 12:39 - Oct 26 with 4994 viewsBOjK

What specifically about Evans' philosophy would you like him to change?

Blog: [Blog] Keep Calm and Carry on (Or Why the Club is Not in Crisis from Top to Bottom)

I wonder if the penny will drop for Evans now on 12:44 - Oct 26 with 4958 viewsHackneyblueboy

I wonder if the penny will drop for Evans now on 12:39 - Oct 26 by BOjK

Stop selling our best players without reinvesting would be a start.
I wonder if the penny will drop for Evans now on 12:50 - Oct 26 with 4948 viewsBOjK

I wonder if the penny will drop for Evans now on 12:44 - Oct 26 by Hackneyblueboy

Stop selling our best players without reinvesting would be a start.

We clearly have reinvested. Maybe not wisely, but that is the managers call.

What else?

Blog: [Blog] Keep Calm and Carry on (Or Why the Club is Not in Crisis from Top to Bottom)

I wonder if the penny will drop for Evans now on 12:52 - Oct 26 with 4938 viewsJ2BLUE

There's plenty of legit criticism of Evans but I wouldn't blame him if he is really pissed off with the fans right now.

We (referring to the majority of the fan base):

Wanted MM out - we got it
Wanted a young up and coming manager - we got it
Wanted the rest of Shrewbury's staff including Doig - we got it
A change in recruitment, scour the lower leagues - we got it

Now, with hindsight, Evans is being presented as a complete idiot by many people. Too many people are being dishonest and pretending they were opposed at the time to the path we took. Even the reaction to the sales has been rewritten. Very few were that bothered Webster went and many were excited about the possibilities it would create for new signings. Obviously this doesn't apply to everyone and there are some genuine criticisms such as changing too much, too soon but Evans was clearly trying to back his man; again something we've all been calling for.

If Evans now chooses to go back to the MM model I don't think anyone can complain. I really can't stand the attitude of many people. There's nothing wrong with being honest and saying we got this one wrong rather than claiming Evans is an idiot who went against us.

Not really aimed at you OP, just a convenient place to put it without starting a new thread.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

I wonder if the penny will drop for Evans now on 12:55 - Oct 26 with 4905 viewsFreddy

Nothing will change until he goes
I wonder if the penny will drop for Evans now on 12:57 - Oct 26 with 4901 viewsButterbing

I wonder if the penny will drop for Evans now on 12:52 - Oct 26 by J2BLUE

There's plenty of legit criticism of Evans but I wouldn't blame him if he is really pissed off with the fans right now.

Now, with hindsight, Evans is being presented as a complete idiot by many people. Too many people are being dishonest and pretending they were opposed at the time to the path we took. Even the reaction to the sales has been rewritten. Very few were that bothered Webster went and many were excited about the possibilities it would create for new signings. Obviously this doesn't apply to everyone and there are some genuine criticisms such as changing too much, too soon but Evans was clearly trying to back his man; again something we've all been calling for.

If Evans now chooses to go back to the MM model I don't think anyone can complain. I really can't stand the attitude of many people. There's nothing wrong with being honest and saying we got this one wrong rather than claiming Evans is an idiot who went against us.

Not really aimed at you OP, just a convenient place to put it without starting a new thread.

Great post, I agree, Evans gave us what the apparent majority were looking for.

There were not many on here bemoaning the appointment of Hurst.

The clamour to sign Nolan was huge, as was Jackson. Also, Nsiala to some extent.

Evans tried something different, it backfired spectacularly. Can we blame him if he goes back to what he knows?
I wonder if the penny will drop for Evans now on 12:57 - Oct 26 with 4902 viewsMJallday

the only one he should be pissed off with is himself.

he never gave Jim Magilton a fair crack of the whip.
he watched roy keane p1ss money away and never gave the same backing to MM
he never invested in the january under MM when we had our best chance of promotion.
he appointed hurst instead of Ross, or any other number of managers he could well have done.
You cant blame this one on the fans mate.

now you see what ive done there is bitten.

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

I wonder if the penny will drop for Evans now on 13:00 - Oct 26 with 4882 viewsJ2BLUE

I wonder if the penny will drop for Evans now on 12:57 - Oct 26 by MJallday

he never invested in the january under MM when we had our best chance of promotion.
he appointed hurst instead of Ross, or any other number of managers he could well have done.

As I said, there's plenty of legit criticism. I'm not trying to pin anything on the fans other than the people re-writing history trying to pretend everything Evans has done since MM leaving has been against us and not exactly what the majority wanted.

Truly impaired.

Login to get fewer ads

I wonder if the penny will drop for Evans now on 13:02 - Oct 26 with 4870 viewsButterbing

I wonder if the penny will drop for Evans now on 12:57 - Oct 26 by MJallday

Lots of things you could say he has done wrong with hindsight.

But, the point is that Evans did what a lot of us wanted by getting rid of Mick, appointing Hurst and getting lower league players with potential.

And yes, Ross instead of Hurst may have been the better appointment but, again, hindsight.
I wonder if the penny will drop for Evans now on 13:35 - Oct 26 with 4800 viewsmrshallisfit

I wonder if the penny will drop for Evans now on 12:50 - Oct 26 by BOjK

We clearly have reinvested. Maybe not wisely, but that is the managers call.

What else?

Really dumb response. Yes we have invested but not nearly enough. Yes we spent 6 million in the summer but off loaded 9 million of talent. You do realise what the top half of the Championship teams will pay for players don't You?
I wonder if the penny will drop for Evans now on 13:44 - Oct 26 with 4747 viewsFrimleyBlue

I wonder if the penny will drop for Evans now on 13:35 - Oct 26 by mrshallisfit

Really dumb response. Yes we have invested but not nearly enough. Yes we spent 6 million in the summer but off loaded 9 million of talent. You do realise what the top half of the Championship teams will pay for players don't You?

Didn't we pay 200k for waghorn?

It's not all about how much you spend, it's how you spend the money

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

I wonder if the penny will drop for Evans now on 13:48 - Oct 26 with 4728 viewshoppy

"Wanted MM out - we got it
A change in recruitment, scour the lower leagues - we got it"

I'll give you the first two, for sure, but I don't remember much of a call for the rest of the Shrewsbury staff, and I don't think scouring the lower leagues exclusively was ever anyone's wishlist really, was it?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

I wonder if the penny will drop for Evans now on 13:56 - Oct 26 with 4678 viewsBlueBadger

I wonder if the penny will drop for Evans now on 13:48 - Oct 26 by hoppy

I'll give you the first two, for sure, but I don't remember much of a call for the rest of the Shrewsbury staff, and I don't think scouring the lower leagues exclusively was ever anyone's wishlist really, was it?

A bit more imagination in transfer policy, maybe. In his way, Hurst was probably less imaginative than Mick in that respect.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

I wonder if the penny will drop for Evans now on 14:25 - Oct 26 with 4606 viewsJ2BLUE

I wonder if the penny will drop for Evans now on 13:48 - Oct 26 by hoppy

Shrewsbury fans were talking very highly of Doig an plenty on here were hoping we would get him as well.

I didn't say exclusively and in hindsight the transfer policy looks obviously wrong but I don't remember too many complaining at the time. Everyone was excited about the Shewsbury duo and Jackson. People also seem to forget we have Skuse, Chambers, Bart and Knudsen as first team regulars with plenty of experience. Maybe Hurst was banking on them a little too much.

Truly impaired.

I wonder if the penny will drop for Evans now on 14:40 - Oct 26 with 4574 viewsmonytowbray

Stick a fork in our fanbase, it's done.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

I wonder if the penny will drop for Evans now on 14:47 - Oct 26 with 4541 viewsbobbyramsey

I think you're giving the man too much credit. Yes, the changes were made but was it really fan power that forced the change of dorection? No, Evans used the said fan power as an excuse to cut costs, he was going to go down the "cheap route" regardless of what the fans wanted.
I wonder if the penny will drop for Evans now on 15:08 - Oct 26 with 4492 viewsChocorange

Totally agree.

ME got rid of MM when by all accounts he would have kept him, he also got the manager that most of the fans wanted.

He has also recognised it wasn't working quickly and acted swiftly to appoint a new manager.

Yes, he may not be perfect, but he sure is trying.
I wonder if the penny will drop for Evans now on 18:04 - Oct 26 with 4356 viewsNo9

I wonder if the penny will drop for Evans now on 12:39 - Oct 26 by BOjK

His philosophy seems to be "everything happens with my say so"
He could hire some quality advisors to make him a little bit more football wise
I wonder if the penny will drop for Evans now on 18:54 - Oct 26 with 4275 viewsSwansea_Blue

I wonder if the penny will drop for Evans now on 18:04 - Oct 26 by No9

His philosophy seems to be "everything happens with my say so"
He could hire some quality advisors to make him a little bit more football wise

You’d have thought Marcus would have twigged by now that he needs a better way of managing the football side of the club. I don’t know how many disastrous decisions we have to go through before he reviews and changes his approach.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

I wonder if the penny will drop for Evans now on 19:20 - Oct 26 with 4221 viewsbritbiker

Agree with quite a lot of that. I was excited with some of the new signings. Where it went wrong for me personally was when Waghorn left. He had that knack of hold g up the ball a d finding the net. Something we no longer possess. Maybe we had no choice in selling him but he was our focal point last season.
I wonder if the penny will drop for Evans now on 19:50 - Oct 26 with 4164 viewsSwansea_Blue

I wonder if Penny will ever turn up for Keno. After all that work on his basement, it’d be a shame to go for it to go to waste.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

I wonder if the penny will drop for Evans now on 23:06 - Oct 26 with 4004 viewsThe_Last_Baron

He should have given Jack Ross the job. He was the man and a gift which Evans failed to take. Hurst is a percentage football man, Shrewsbury were not known for playing free-flowing passing football, St. Mirren did just that.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024