Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Skuse injured... 20:34 - Oct 31 with 11035 viewsitfcjoe

...apparently was in a boot according to the reports from Lamberts first day (Either, Phil, EADT or both - I forget).

Does that mean he is likely to be out for a while?

If he is, I wonder whether it will help us find a better balance in the midfield as sometimes feel he can hinder this

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Skuse injured... on 21:54 - Oct 31 with 1607 viewsblueislander

Skuse injured... on 21:43 - Oct 31 by Mullet

This was the same style that saw us get done late on by relegation threatened Forest and mauled by Villa no?

Hardly a sample that proves your point.

I don't even know where to begin with this notion that this season rests on those two more than the numerous factors on and off the field, or the fact they barely had the same partner or shape around them game to game.

To single them out like that is bizarre and not mention say Bart or even Hurst etc.

Skuse played in both those games.
Skuse injured... on 22:01 - Oct 31 with 1602 viewsitfcjoe

Skuse injured... on 21:37 - Oct 31 by Nthsuffolkblue

The idea losing a player to injury helps a good manager to pick a better team is so ridiculous.

Of course Skuse is rubbish. That is why MM never played him.

Of course Lambert would not be able to see that Skuse damages the team so much he would leave him out.

Utterly ridiculous.

Because no manager has ever stumbled across something that works but has only had a chance due to necessity.....

Skuse injured... on 22:06 - Oct 31 with 1584 viewsElderGrizzly

Skuse injured... on 21:42 - Oct 31 by itfcjoe

Firstly, record really isn’t ‘significantly better’, if any better at all

Secondly, he’s missed so few games it is a small sample size

We look a lot worse side when Skuse is not in it. Plain to see almost every time, whether that is not starting or he goes off injured. We lose shape, we lose discipline.

I’d be astonished if the stats don’t make it clear we are better with him.
Skuse injured... on 22:08 - Oct 31 with 1580 viewsElderGrizzly

Skuse injured... on 22:01 - Oct 31 by itfcjoe

Because no manager has ever stumbled across something that works but has only had a chance due to necessity.....

Surely our managers wouldn’t pick him if he wasn’t the best option in that position? They’ve had more than 5 years to decide he wasn’t and replace him. None have
Skuse injured... on 22:11 - Oct 31 with 1569 viewsitfcjoe

Skuse injured... on 22:08 - Oct 31 by ElderGrizzly

Surely our managers wouldn’t pick him if he wasn’t the best option in that position? They’ve had more than 5 years to decide he wasn’t and replace him. None have

We’ve only had one manager in that time though, and some joker who turned up for a few weeks - it’s not like he’s started under s succession of managers!

Skuse injured... on 22:14 - Oct 31 with 1560 viewsMullet

Skuse injured... on 21:53 - Oct 31 by StNeotsBlue

The Forest game was last minute stuff and the Villa game turned on a red card. I like Skuse and he is clearly one of the main men off the pitch but at the minute we desperately need a midfielder to pass and move rather than pass and hold.

So was Reading arguably, the collapse came really in the final few minutes.

People always single out Skuse, talk about style, then go back to Skuse when neither provide a satisfactory answer to prove their bias.

We really need a settled side who is up for the fight. Given we have lost so many games and lacked experience, missing a player who offers what we need in spades seems a prospect I'd rather not celebrate.

Let's be honest, a lot of people are still in the misguided habit of needing to slate Mick's players, and now look even sillier with Mick gone. We'd better focusing on how Lambert is going to recreate that which saved us in 2012 more than anything else.

For anyone watching us regularly Skuse is integral to that. Why Hurst tried to play him as a CM and stifle Chalobah behind him at times was maddening. If Lambert can get basics like that right we'll see far less collapses with and without the ball regardless.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Skuse injured... on 22:18 - Oct 31 with 1552 viewsElderGrizzly

Skuse injured... on 22:11 - Oct 31 by itfcjoe

We’ve only had one manager in that time though, and some joker who turned up for a few weeks - it’s not like he’s started under s succession of managers!

Yet he has been regularly picked for 5 seasons. As much as the numbskulls would like us to believe, Mick didn’t pick people because they were proper blokes or his mates.

Skuse got picked because he was the best we had to do the job we asked him to do.

Mick replaced almost every position in the team. Yet Skuse remained
Skuse injured... on 22:18 - Oct 31 with 1556 viewsitfcjoe

Skuse injured... on 22:06 - Oct 31 by ElderGrizzly

We look a lot worse side when Skuse is not in it. Plain to see almost every time, whether that is not starting or he goes off injured. We lose shape, we lose discipline.

I’d be astonished if the stats don’t make it clear we are better with him.

How can you say we have a significantly better record with him in the team, when you don’t know that to be the case though?

Login to get fewer ads

Skuse injured... on 22:19 - Oct 31 with 1544 viewsstantheman

Skuse injured... on 20:47 - Oct 31 by OsborneOneNil

Skuse, massively overrated by many on here.

Skuse, massively underrated by some on here.
Skuse injured... on 22:21 - Oct 31 with 1549 viewsPJH

I would say that we are a weaker unit without Skuse than we are with him if he is used to do what he can do and do very well.
Hurst tried to use him to do things that he is less capable of so when available hopefully Lambert will use him to do what he can do very well which is break up play of the opposition make interceptions and track runners
If he is out for a while he will be a huge miss particularly in the situation that we are at the moment.
He does need a creative player alongside him (as concluded in my drink fueled discussion with powinswitch tonight)but I think he is vital to this current team.
Skuse injured... on 22:22 - Oct 31 with 1537 viewsitfcjoe

Skuse injured... on 22:18 - Oct 31 by ElderGrizzly

Yet he has been regularly picked for 5 seasons. As much as the numbskulls would like us to believe, Mick didn’t pick people because they were proper blokes or his mates.

Skuse got picked because he was the best we had to do the job we asked him to do.

Mick replaced almost every position in the team. Yet Skuse remained

Mick obviously rated him as a trusted lieutenant, no one is denying that. But that was in a team playing direct football and either by passing the midfield or having it playing safe percentage balls in the main.

Skuse injured... on 22:27 - Oct 31 with 1518 viewsElderGrizzly

Skuse injured... on 22:18 - Oct 31 by itfcjoe

How can you say we have a significantly better record with him in the team, when you don’t know that to be the case though?

From watching the team for the last 5 years. It’s fairly obvious to most without him, we normally descend into a shambles in the middle and opposition get a much easier run at our defence.

If he is used correctly, unlike with Hurst we have no-one near him in terms of effectiveness in that position.

I’m sure the stats will back that up, but his influence is up there with Chambers for me
Skuse injured... on 22:29 - Oct 31 with 1506 viewsElderGrizzly

Skuse injured... on 22:22 - Oct 31 by itfcjoe

Mick obviously rated him as a trusted lieutenant, no one is denying that. But that was in a team playing direct football and either by passing the midfield or having it playing safe percentage balls in the main.

Yet his covering and digging our defence and midfield out of holes was still so important.

Most teams have someone doing his role and a team of our standing probably won’t afford anyone better right now. Downes certainly is nowhere near his level yet.
Skuse injured... on 22:30 - Oct 31 with 1506 viewsitfcjoe

Skuse injured... on 22:27 - Oct 31 by ElderGrizzly

From watching the team for the last 5 years. It’s fairly obvious to most without him, we normally descend into a shambles in the middle and opposition get a much easier run at our defence.

If he is used correctly, unlike with Hurst we have no-one near him in terms of effectiveness in that position.

I’m sure the stats will back that up, but his influence is up there with Chambers for me

So you don’t know that to be the case despite stating that it is then?

Skuse injured... on 22:37 - Oct 31 with 1486 viewsEly_Blue

Skuse injured... on 22:21 - Oct 31 by PJH

I would say that we are a weaker unit without Skuse than we are with him if he is used to do what he can do and do very well.
Hurst tried to use him to do things that he is less capable of so when available hopefully Lambert will use him to do what he can do very well which is break up play of the opposition make interceptions and track runners
If he is out for a while he will be a huge miss particularly in the situation that we are at the moment.
He does need a creative player alongside him (as concluded in my drink fueled discussion with powinswitch tonight)but I think he is vital to this current team.

You’ve summed it up perfectly, everyone points out the deficiencies of Skuse as a creative player yet it s for his defensive and positional play when we don’t have the ball that he is really missed when he isn’t in the team.

You could argue that we shouldn’t be looking at having a CM player in the team whose best use is when we don’t have the ball, however until we become a team that dominates possession, something we have never done in the time Skuse has been at the club under MM, then he will always have a place in our team

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Skuse injured... on 22:38 - Oct 31 with 1477 viewsVic

Skuse injured... on 22:29 - Oct 31 by ElderGrizzly

Yet his covering and digging our defence and midfield out of holes was still so important.

Most teams have someone doing his role and a team of our standing probably won’t afford anyone better right now. Downes certainly is nowhere near his level yet.

We used to call them ‘water carriers’ - the players that do the dirty work, the load lugging that no 9ne else notices. SBR used roger osbourne in this way many times.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Skuse injured... on 22:40 - Oct 31 with 1469 viewsPinewoodblue

Skuse injured... on 22:37 - Oct 31 by Ely_Blue

You’ve summed it up perfectly, everyone points out the deficiencies of Skuse as a creative player yet it s for his defensive and positional play when we don’t have the ball that he is really missed when he isn’t in the team.

You could argue that we shouldn’t be looking at having a CM player in the team whose best use is when we don’t have the ball, however until we become a team that dominates possession, something we have never done in the time Skuse has been at the club under MM, then he will always have a place in our team

Depends what you mean by "dominates possession". We had 60% possession against Millwall.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Skuse injured... on 22:41 - Oct 31 with 1469 viewsPJH

Skuse injured... on 22:37 - Oct 31 by Ely_Blue

Thank you-that is particularly pleasing to know after four quick pints of Ghostship.
Skuse injured... on 22:43 - Oct 31 with 1463 viewsPJH

Skuse injured... on 22:40 - Oct 31 by Pinewoodblue

Depends what you mean by "dominates possession". We had 60% possession against Millwall.

Although Skuse came off at halftime.
I do not know what the first half/second half stats are.
Skuse injured... on 22:44 - Oct 31 with 1463 viewsEly_Blue

Skuse injured... on 22:40 - Oct 31 by Pinewoodblue

By “dominates possession” I guess I should have said dominates teams on a regular basis

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Skuse injured... on 22:47 - Oct 31 with 1453 viewsGarv

Skuse injured... on 21:11 - Oct 31 by ElderGrizzly

Downes struggless with ball retention for me. Leeds and QPR was telling and right now he is closer to Hyam in terms of style/ability just with more potential

Absolute insult to Downes.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Skuse injured... on 23:15 - Oct 31 with 1414 viewsreusersfreekicks

Skuse injured... on 21:39 - Oct 31 by blueislander

Yes. It was only one match, and Reading were awful, but it was the style that we played, passing it out from the back and retaining possession thar was so refreshing. Everyone bangs on about the huge contribution of Skuse and Chambers, but they have both been pretty poor recently, and , as our senior players must bear a lot of the responsibity for our currnet predicament.

Yeah right
Skuse injured... on 23:16 - Oct 31 with 1412 viewsSuperfrans

Skuse injured... on 20:52 - Oct 31 by JakeITFC

You’d think that defensive organisation and stability would be high on Paul Lambert’s agenda; Skuse getting injured puts a big hole in that for me.

For all of Chalobah, Dozzell and Downes’ respective qualities in a deeper midfield role, none of them are anywhere near the ability of Skuse to read a game and position himself well.

Incredibly inexperienced too. Without Skuse we have very few options with games under their belt 8n central midfield.

Giving youth a chance is one thing. Fielding three 19 year olds in central midfield is something very different.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Skuse injured... on 23:18 - Oct 31 with 1408 viewsSuperfrans

Skuse injured... on 22:11 - Oct 31 by itfcjoe

I know you’re probably surviving on just a few hours sleep etc Joe, but “some joker” is a bit disrespectful. You’re not a numbskull, you can do better than that.

Skuse injured... on 23:20 - Oct 31 with 1401 viewsSuperfrans

Skuse injured... on 22:47 - Oct 31 by Garv

Absolute insult to Downes.

He was our best and most progressive player on Saturday. Not a very high bar I know, but it says something when. 19yo is the player doing most to lift the tempo and control the game.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024