Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mick McCarthy - thoughts 23:31 - Nov 12 with 35217 viewsFaroutWest

Hi Tractor boys, Bristol city fan here.
We are getting properly fed up with our useless head coach and his 'tombola' team selections and one of the names fancied as a potential replacement amongst our support is Mick McCarthy.
I appreciate things didn't end well for him or yourselves during his tenure but was he any good before the finance was withdrawn?
His previous managerial record seems very good so, given we are able, within reason, to spend a bit, would he be a decent fit if our job became available and what are your thoughts on him before the last couple of seasons at your place?

Thanks.
FaroutWest.
[Post edited 12 Nov 2018 23:31]
Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 10:01 - Nov 13 with 3773 viewsReuser_is_God

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 09:57 - Nov 13 by bluelou

I still think back to those first few games in August 2015 when Fraser, Knudsen and Pitman had been added to the squad and we were playing wonderful attacking football.

A very unlucky loss to Brighton and an absolute pasting against Reading followed, injuries set in and that season went by the wayside.

If we had money, he’d have been backed with quality replacements to bolster the team but he wasn’t and the attacking game went out of the door.

If I were a Bristol City fan I’d be very excited about the prospect of giving him a chance to get promoted one more time.
[Post edited 13 Nov 2018 9:59]

If it’s promotion they want then they should appoint Holloway.

He has 2 promotions against his name since Mick last done it.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 10:05 - Nov 13 with 3771 viewsKeaneish

Doesn't feel like the right fit for your club. Given the money that's been pumped in and the impressive facilities you now boast, Ashton Gate should be home to forward thinking football and managerial infrastructure. I'd argue McCarthy, whilst solid and dependable isn't a person who fits this mould and you'll be equally frustrated with him as you will be with Johnson for very different reasons.

Mick played one of our best centre halves at full back for 2 seasons and delighted us with the most pedestrian midfield ever to grace Portman Road but does have an eye for a good bargain in the transfer window.

In short, a mixed bag. If you like going to games and watching football instead of seeing a few wins and clean sheets chalk up on the Beeb stats, i'd avoid; although likeable and forthright, he'll kill your passion for the game.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 10:08 - Nov 13 with 3765 viewsElephantintheRoom

Be careful what you wish for. McCarthy always leaves chaos and relegation in his wake. And TC. But relax, Bristol is too far from home

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 10:10 - Nov 13 with 3757 viewsCurrie10

Far better manager than the rubbishcity have.

He’d get you up with a budget no issues
Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 10:12 - Nov 13 with 3750 viewsCurrie10

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 10:01 - Nov 13 by Reuser_is_God

If it’s promotion they want then they should appoint Holloway.

He has 2 promotions against his name since Mick last done it.

I live just south of Bristol, as I have all my life and Holloway hates city with passion
Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 10:13 - Nov 13 with 3744 viewsReuser_is_God

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 10:12 - Nov 13 by Currie10

I live just south of Bristol, as I have all my life and Holloway hates city with passion

A perfect fit then because Bristol City are vvankers.

Evans out

(No subject) (n/t) on 10:15 - Nov 13 with 3742 viewsGluedtoBlue

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 09:35 - Nov 13 by chicoazul

I am not convinced that was down to luck. We suffered from injuries constantly during his tenure, too many for it to just be bad luck, and we were completely unable to put players back together again after injury too.

Having said that OP Mick is a very good Manager and he would have any team with a decent budget competing at the right end.

The injury thing being Mms fault is a myth peddled by numbskulls who felt it fitted their 'dinosaur' agenda.

The up and coming, sports science Paul Hurst spoke about the injuries too and it was lapped up by many as another stick to beat MM with. The injuries and setbacks still remained.

It's already been mentioned but bad luck and budget played big roles in the injury situation. A fully fit Williams doesn't come here, a fully fit Huws is out of our budget. A small budget meant we gambled on good players who, with a bit of luck, would stay fit.
[Post edited 13 Nov 2018 10:21]

Poll: Who do you hate the most?

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 10:17 - Nov 13 with 3734 viewsJ2BLUE

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 09:52 - Nov 13 by Reuser_is_God

Can we please stop overplaying the budget thing?

Winning 1 in 4 or 2 in 4 “on our budget” wow.

Yes he didn’t have a budget but that doesn’t mean winning games is ‘impressive’.

Oooh wow we won a game against a team who spent a few more millions than us, we’re so good.
[Post edited 13 Nov 2018 9:56]

More than a 'few million' in many cases.

It's a fair point to mention the budget.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Login to get fewer ads

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 10:18 - Nov 13 with 3741 viewsHarryWright

Some of the most boring football you'll ever see, 1 shot on target at home, 30% possession. However he'll get results and if that's all you care about then hes a good fit.

He is good at what he does, however when you aren't entertaining the fans and aren't getting the results (like his last few seasons here) then it really is awful. Just because Hurst was awful doesn't mean Mccarthy should still be here, it was time.
Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 10:19 - Nov 13 with 3730 viewsDarth_Koont

Yes he didn’t have a budget but that doesn’t mean winning games is ‘impressive’.

Oooh wow we won a game against a team who spent a few more millions than us, we’re so good.

No-one is saying that.

But winning enough games over a season to comfortably outperform our budget is impressive.

Pronouns: He/Him

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 10:21 - Nov 13 with 3721 viewsGuthrum

There is a direct correlation - albeit not absolute - between money spent, quality of players available and thus performances. We are looking uphill in that equation and thus require other influences (manager, tactics, etc.) to level the balance.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 10:22 - Nov 13 with 3719 viewsReuser_is_God

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 10:17 - Nov 13 by J2BLUE

More than a 'few million' in many cases.

It's a fair point to mention the budget.

In some cases yes, but getting a stiffy because we’ve beaten Bristol City is a bit odd.

Anyway it doesn’t matter because Mick no longer exists & he’s just going to spend the rest of his career being sucked of by Barry Glendenning & Richard Keys on Aljazera.

Evans out

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 10:31 - Nov 13 with 3698 viewsReuser_is_God

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 10:21 - Nov 13 by Guthrum

There is a direct correlation - albeit not absolute - between money spent, quality of players available and thus performances. We are looking uphill in that equation and thus require other influences (manager, tactics, etc.) to level the balance.

Oh of course, but the “oh my god we beat a team that spent more money than us” in one of games does get a bit tiresome.

Some use it as an excuse for poor performance.

Evans out

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 10:34 - Nov 13 with 3685 viewsJ2BLUE

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 10:22 - Nov 13 by Reuser_is_God

In some cases yes, but getting a stiffy because we’ve beaten Bristol City is a bit odd.

Anyway it doesn’t matter because Mick no longer exists & he’s just going to spend the rest of his career being sucked of by Barry Glendenning & Richard Keys on Aljazera.

Really odd nonsensical stance.

Truly impaired.

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 10:35 - Nov 13 with 3681 viewsReuser_is_God

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 10:34 - Nov 13 by J2BLUE

Really odd nonsensical stance.

Not really, far too much was made of ‘money spent’ on a game by game basis.

Evans out

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 10:39 - Nov 13 with 3668 viewsJ2BLUE

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 10:35 - Nov 13 by Reuser_is_God

Not really, far too much was made of ‘money spent’ on a game by game basis.

We're talking about his time as a whole now. Seems odd to now go on the attack about game by game stuff.

Truly impaired.

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 10:51 - Nov 13 with 3645 viewsReuser_is_God

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 10:39 - Nov 13 by J2BLUE

We're talking about his time as a whole now. Seems odd to now go on the attack about game by game stuff.

But thats what used to happen isn’t it?

Evans out

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 10:57 - Nov 13 with 3626 viewsfarkenhell

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 09:29 - Nov 13 by SomethingBlue

A lot of people on this thread took things very personally towards the end of Mick's time and it's led them to tell untruths. Things were fine under Mick for three years or so; in fact the football we played for a lot of the play-off season was intense, high-tempo, high-scoring. He created a dressing room of exceptional professionals that have basically held the club together in the last three months. It was definitely time for him to go, the last two years were pretty dire and he definitely became more conservative (and quarrelsome) than when he started out, although I'd add that he always attempted to add flair to the squad and was often scuppered by injuries and ill luck. Had he been backed financially at the right time we'd have been promoted. You could do far worse and I suspect he'd do well under your chairman.
[Post edited 13 Nov 2018 9:30]

An excellent summary. Surely everybody can agree with that?
Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 10:58 - Nov 13 with 3625 viewsJimmyJazz

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 10:39 - Nov 13 by J2BLUE

What is interesting in regards to budget is what the OP said. As an outsider he seems to think that the budget dropped at the same time that our league position did and hence was a contributing factor. When in reality the budget was never anything to shout about during his entire time.

If anything we spent more in the last 2 seasons of his time here (Huws, Garner, Waghorn last summer)

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 10:59 - Nov 13 with 3621 viewsfarkenhell

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 09:43 - Nov 13 by bobbyramsey

Looks like FaroutWest has fooked off, I reckon he's heard enough.......

Bet he never thought for a moment that this would turn into a 4-pager (and counting)!
Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 11:06 - Nov 13 with 3601 viewsJ2BLUE

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 10:51 - Nov 13 by Reuser_is_God

From the forum or MM himself?

I don't think either really pushed it too much. It was pointed out by people on the forum when others denied it had an impact. With MM he was always asked the question.

Truly impaired.

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 11:11 - Nov 13 with 3585 viewsCurrie10

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 10:13 - Nov 13 by Reuser_is_God

A perfect fit then because Bristol City are vvankers.

Ha they are a very funny club.

Incredibly fickle, always funny to hear them after a game on the radio.

I remember tuning in years ago with a robin going mental at Geoff Twentyman. This was wrong, that was wrong. Massive rant. I assumed they lost, and possibly heavily.

Then Geoff said ' but you won 5-0 ' !

Rovers are definitely the more humble and less annoying fans. I've got many a friend who supports both with season tickets etc. More time for Rovers.
Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 11:34 - Nov 13 with 3542 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

It will be good for the first 18/24 months. High intensity, hard work, not good football, always hitting the big man and feeding off second balls, but it does work at times. But then it all gets rather stale, the players get comfortable because he has people who know they are guaranteed starters even if their form dips. The crowds will drop because people are not getting value for money, the bitterness will come from the faithful that have remained, and he will leave.

The Mick McCarthy cycle. Stays 4/5 years, i.e Sunderland, Wolves, Ipswich.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 12:52 - Nov 13 with 3479 viewsSouperJim

Top trolling

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 13:19 - Nov 13 with 3456 viewsHerbivore

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 10:51 - Nov 13 by Reuser_is_God

No.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024