Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mick McCarthy - thoughts 23:31 - Nov 12 with 35216 viewsFaroutWest

Hi Tractor boys, Bristol city fan here.
We are getting properly fed up with our useless head coach and his 'tombola' team selections and one of the names fancied as a potential replacement amongst our support is Mick McCarthy.
I appreciate things didn't end well for him or yourselves during his tenure but was he any good before the finance was withdrawn?
His previous managerial record seems very good so, given we are able, within reason, to spend a bit, would he be a decent fit if our job became available and what are your thoughts on him before the last couple of seasons at your place?

Thanks.
FaroutWest.
[Post edited 12 Nov 2018 23:31]
Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 13:20 - Nov 13 with 4108 viewsFaroutWest

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 09:43 - Nov 13 by bobbyramsey

Looks like FaroutWest has fooked off, I reckon he's heard enough.......

Just catching up now bobbyramsey. He certainly split opinion, that's certain.
Thanks for all the replies people.
Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 13:22 - Nov 13 with 4097 viewsFaroutWest

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 10:01 - Nov 13 by Reuser_is_God

If it’s promotion they want then they should appoint Holloway.

He has 2 promotions against his name since Mick last done it.

That is something that will NEVER happen!
Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 13:35 - Nov 13 with 4075 viewsMaySixth

He is a better manager than Lee Johnson.

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 14:24 - Nov 13 with 4041 viewsFelix1955

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 13:35 - Nov 13 by MaySixth

He is a better manager than Lee Johnson.

Another Bristol City fan here.....

As FaroutWest says there a great deal of frustration with our current manager Lee Johnson and various posters on our forum otib have called for his sacking......and the name MM seems high on the preferred list of replacement managers.

Now I only watched from afar the goings on at Portman Rd so aren’t fully aware of how MMs departure developed but I saw him interviewed and he certainly wasn’t a happy bunny!

Lee Johnson was employed by our owner Steve Lansdown who wanted a head coach who would employ his philosophy of signing youngsters, developing them out on loan and over time build a squad of largely homegrown players capable of pushing for promotion to the PL. Lansdown favourite terms are ‘stability and sustainability’ which he wants to achieve at AG.
Although a billionaire he won’t spend mega bucks and wages on marquee signings so if Johnson were sacked the new man would have to buy into Lansdowns philosophy - would MM buy into that?

Personally I can’t see Johnson getting sacked - he’s there long term but not all City can accept that!
Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 14:29 - Nov 13 with 4033 viewsKBsSocks

He is a very competent manager at Championship level, and has been reasonably competent at Premiership level in the past. This has been stated in many ways in posts above, so I'll not dwell on his technical abilities here.

His big weakness has been his interaction with fans: he simply doesn't afford them enough respect, and loses enough respect from them (us) to cause ill-feeling at Home when things are adverse, or when the Honeymoon period is over and things are a bit stale (as others have also said).

He also doesn't afford enough respect to pundits who are also fans in after-match interviews, which is also alienating.

There's a large bit of a "don't tell me how to do my job" and "don't question my abilities" about him, rather than a bit of diplomacy. I don't think this will change.

So, great sound-bites, no BS, but the counter-side leads to dissension from the fans, and an adversarial atmosphere in the end.

He doesn't really get The Twelfth Man concept, and is a bit of a Big Head.

Poll: Are Phil and Gav doing a great job re-TWTD ?
Blog: Comparison Time Again

on 14:29 - Nov 13 with 4029 views_

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 23:35 - Nov 12 by sparks

I would say that your best player, according to friends of mine, is Webster with his wonderful passing form the back.

You can forget that if MM gets hold of him again.

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 14:34 - Nov 13 with 4023 viewsJimmyJazz

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 14:24 - Nov 13 by Felix1955

Another Bristol City fan here.....

As FaroutWest says there a great deal of frustration with our current manager Lee Johnson and various posters on our forum otib have called for his sacking......and the name MM seems high on the preferred list of replacement managers.

Now I only watched from afar the goings on at Portman Rd so aren’t fully aware of how MMs departure developed but I saw him interviewed and he certainly wasn’t a happy bunny!

Lee Johnson was employed by our owner Steve Lansdown who wanted a head coach who would employ his philosophy of signing youngsters, developing them out on loan and over time build a squad of largely homegrown players capable of pushing for promotion to the PL. Lansdown favourite terms are ‘stability and sustainability’ which he wants to achieve at AG.
Although a billionaire he won’t spend mega bucks and wages on marquee signings so if Johnson were sacked the new man would have to buy into Lansdowns philosophy - would MM buy into that?

Personally I can’t see Johnson getting sacked - he’s there long term but not all City can accept that!

I don't think MM developed youngsters here very well. He often went for short term loan fixes (the Gleesons, Cokes, Pringles etc) rather then trying a youngster instead. He didn't seem to buy into any long term development plan, even though our owner is very patient

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 14:35 - Nov 13 with 4016 viewsJ2BLUE

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 14:29 - Nov 13 by KBsSocks

He is a very competent manager at Championship level, and has been reasonably competent at Premiership level in the past. This has been stated in many ways in posts above, so I'll not dwell on his technical abilities here.

His big weakness has been his interaction with fans: he simply doesn't afford them enough respect, and loses enough respect from them (us) to cause ill-feeling at Home when things are adverse, or when the Honeymoon period is over and things are a bit stale (as others have also said).

He also doesn't afford enough respect to pundits who are also fans in after-match interviews, which is also alienating.

There's a large bit of a "don't tell me how to do my job" and "don't question my abilities" about him, rather than a bit of diplomacy. I don't think this will change.

So, great sound-bites, no BS, but the counter-side leads to dissension from the fans, and an adversarial atmosphere in the end.

You say all that about not telling him how to do his job etc but it's unfair. Why would he listen to the fans? He's just saying what every manager is thinking. There was no issue with diplomacy either. He was at loggerheads with the section of fans who most of us agree are total idiots. The ones who were abusing him all game and then explode with rage when he dares say a word back. MM and the majority of Town fans has no issue with each other on a personal level. If he wants to tell the fans abusing him to F off then they'll have to deal with it or reconsider their stupidity.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Login to get fewer ads

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 14:44 - Nov 13 with 4002 viewsitfcjoe

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 14:34 - Nov 13 by JimmyJazz

I don't think MM developed youngsters here very well. He often went for short term loan fixes (the Gleesons, Cokes, Pringles etc) rather then trying a youngster instead. He didn't seem to buy into any long term development plan, even though our owner is very patient

He brought on youngsters better than any manager we have had recently though - he's clearly not a Burley in that respect (and hopefully Lambert is), but his remit clearly changed from the first couple of years and he did well with the youngsters broadly speaking

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 14:48 - Nov 13 with 3986 viewsartsbossbeard

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 14:29 - Nov 13 by KBsSocks

Weirdly enough when I bumped into him in the Hilton at Newcastle and was polite and charming as usual, he was more than happy to chat and have pictures taken with Beard Jnr too. He also brought Jack Charlton over to say hello as they were both meeting up with an author of a JC biog where MM had written the book foreword.

I was never offended by his, cough, "outbursts" but guess I wasn't a) looking to be offended or b) giving him anything to get offended by.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 15:09 - Nov 13 with 3943 viewsBluefish

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 14:48 - Nov 13 by artsbossbeard

Weirdly enough when I bumped into him in the Hilton at Newcastle and was polite and charming as usual, he was more than happy to chat and have pictures taken with Beard Jnr too. He also brought Jack Charlton over to say hello as they were both meeting up with an author of a JC biog where MM had written the book foreword.

I was never offended by his, cough, "outbursts" but guess I wasn't a) looking to be offended or b) giving him anything to get offended by.

This

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 15:10 - Nov 13 with 3939 viewsrickw

I don't think you're in a position where you need Mick McCarthy at the moment, he's more suited to come in and do a rescue job somewhere, not really one for taking a mid-table to team to the next level.

As others have said Mick would come in and:
Get the team/defence organised
Get the players all motivated and working hard
Create a strong team spirit
Instruct the players not to take chances - defenders are instructed to hit the channels or the big striker (which especially sucks after the club sells him!)
Find bargains in the transfer market
Get all grafters and grifters you may have playing at levels you didn't know they were capable of, however flair/creative players may disappear
Make you hard to beat, but dull and overly defensive

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 15:21 - Nov 13 with 3920 viewsbraveblue

If you want to watch awful football, split your fan base and achieve your worst league position in 50 years then he is your man!!!
You're thinking of Paul Hurst. (n/t) on 15:27 - Nov 13 with 3904 viewsBloots

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 15:21 - Nov 13 by braveblue

If you want to watch awful football, split your fan base and achieve your worst league position in 50 years then he is your man!!!

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 15:35 - Nov 13 with 3892 viewsLeoMuff

Or alternatively if you want your best league finishes and only play off appearance in a decade, on a relegation budget he is your man.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 15:56 - Nov 13 with 3864 viewsBenters2

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 08:43 - Nov 13 by LeoMuff

9th, 6th , 7 th, 16th, 12th all on a wage bill 18th highest in the league. One bad finish and that’s all you can give ?

thought you blokes might have wound your necks in after gloating his demise and laughing at be careful what you wish for, look at the state of us now !

Laughing his balls off in South London is our dinosoar.

Oh the old 18th wage in the division anything higher is ok wih me bolox.

Do one fk ya!
Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 15:59 - Nov 13 with 3853 viewsJ2BLUE

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 15:56 - Nov 13 by Benters2

Do one fk ya!

No one said we couldn't hope for more but once those seasons are complete you need to look at them in context of budget and other factors.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 16:15 - Nov 13 with 3822 viewsFtnfwest

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 07:26 - Nov 13 by GluedtoBlue

"He's only interested in himself and his own achievements"

That explains how he's able to build this fantastic team spirit everyone agrees on.

It was time MM moved on last year but let's not make stuff up

I'm not, Lambert has shown more interest in this club in 2 weeks than Mick did in 6 years. Yes he built up a decent team spirit...to serve what he likes to think is his legacy.
Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 16:16 - Nov 13 with 3821 viewsLeoMuff

Do one fk ya!

Even you can work out play offs and top 10 finishes is decent on the budget surely ?

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 16:16 - Nov 13 with 3821 viewsBrixtonBlue

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 15:59 - Nov 13 by J2BLUE

No one said we couldn't hope for more but once those seasons are complete you need to look at them in context of budget and other factors.

You're doing that thing of trying to talk sense to Benters.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 16:17 - Nov 13 with 3818 viewsBrixtonBlue

Do one fk ya!

One minute you want us to spend spend spend like Derby, the next our wage bill is irrelevant. Make you mind up fella!

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 16:23 - Nov 13 with 3811 viewsGluedtoBlue

Do one fk ya!

Can Bristol City take you?

Nobody is saying they never hoped for more but even the biggest MM outter should be big enough to admit he did a good job here, all things considered.

It's not the 1970s anymore. Accept what we are and try and enjoy yourself once in a while.

Poll: Who do you hate the most?

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 17:10 - Nov 13 with 3769 viewsHerbivore

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 15:10 - Nov 13 by rickw

I don't think you're in a position where you need Mick McCarthy at the moment, he's more suited to come in and do a rescue job somewhere, not really one for taking a mid-table to team to the next level.

As others have said Mick would come in and:
Get the team/defence organised
Get the players all motivated and working hard
Create a strong team spirit
Instruct the players not to take chances - defenders are instructed to hit the channels or the big striker (which especially sucks after the club sells him!)
Find bargains in the transfer market
Get all grafters and grifters you may have playing at levels you didn't know they were capable of, however flair/creative players may disappear
Make you hard to beat, but dull and overly defensive

We are the only side Mick has done a rescue job on. Millwall he took to the play offs, Sunderland he took up, Wolves he took up and kept up. It's wrong to characterise him as a manager who comes in and does a job just to keep them up and that's it. He even took a shower like us to the play offs.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 17:15 - Nov 13 with 3761 viewsJimmyJazz

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 17:10 - Nov 13 by Herbivore

We are the only side Mick has done a rescue job on. Millwall he took to the play offs, Sunderland he took up, Wolves he took up and kept up. It's wrong to characterise him as a manager who comes in and does a job just to keep them up and that's it. He even took a shower like us to the play offs.

True, but I wonder if that's how he'll be viewed now?

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 17:44 - Nov 13 with 3730 viewsJ4ck22

Or if you want to make the playoffs with a team of free transfers.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024