Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mick McCarthy - thoughts 23:31 - Nov 12 with 35219 viewsFaroutWest

Hi Tractor boys, Bristol city fan here.
We are getting properly fed up with our useless head coach and his 'tombola' team selections and one of the names fancied as a potential replacement amongst our support is Mick McCarthy.
I appreciate things didn't end well for him or yourselves during his tenure but was he any good before the finance was withdrawn?
His previous managerial record seems very good so, given we are able, within reason, to spend a bit, would he be a decent fit if our job became available and what are your thoughts on him before the last couple of seasons at your place?

Thanks.
FaroutWest.
[Post edited 12 Nov 2018 23:31]
Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 09:20 - Nov 13 with 1905 viewsHerbivore

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 09:03 - Nov 13 by blueislander

You cannot say with any certainty that the team would not be better without them. It is just your opinion that the team needs them . Until we try something different we will never know. Results so far this season would suggest that something needs to change.

I'm comfortable with not trying binning off two of our best and most experienced players thanks. Replacing them over the next 18 months is going to be a tall order. Hopefully Downes can step up and fill Skuse's boots but it's a big ask. Chambers will be harder to replace.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 09:20 - Nov 13 with 1909 viewsartsbossbeard

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 09:18 - Nov 13 by J2BLUE

No reply 1/5
Reply completely ignoring your point with some sort of weird accusation 5/4
Factually accurate reply 10,000/1

Quoting "worst finish in 58yrs" within reply: Evens

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 09:22 - Nov 13 with 1899 viewsBrixtonBlue

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 09:07 - Nov 13 by Lord_Lucan

The first thing he will do is consolidate you and make you feel proud of your club again.

He will then set out to annoy and baffle you and make you think you are on a roundabout for years.

Are you married?

Haha. Brilliant assessment LL.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 09:23 - Nov 13 with 1897 viewsdirtyboy

In simple terms, with the budget Bristol have.....he'd have them in with a shout of the play offs.
Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 09:25 - Nov 13 with 1883 viewsJ2BLUE

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 09:19 - Nov 13 by BrixtonBlue

"our best players sold with none of the money reinvested."

NONE of the money reinvested?! NONE?!?

I should have been clearer.

Replace that line with 'virtually none of the income from transfer fees was reinvested on fees, and although we signed some quality loans and frees it made his job a lot harder to not be able to go out and sign proper replacements. See free agent Murphy being sold for £3m and replaced with Leon Best as a good example'
[Post edited 13 Nov 2018 9:26]

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 09:26 - Nov 13 with 1872 viewsBrixtonBlue

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 09:20 - Nov 13 by TractorWood

It may have been ugly at times but the guy will keep you up and fighting. To me, on our budget, we go down 9 times out of 10 with an average manager in charge.
[Post edited 13 Nov 2018 9:27]

Don't put yourself down, sweetcheeks. I think you're lovely.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 09:28 - Nov 13 with 1858 viewsJ2BLUE

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 09:26 - Nov 13 by BrixtonBlue

Uggos need a decent personality.

That's why i'm such a massive c unit.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 09:28 - Nov 13 with 1858 viewsTractorWood

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 09:26 - Nov 13 by BrixtonBlue

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Login to get fewer ads

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 09:29 - Nov 13 with 1853 viewsSomethingBlue

A lot of people on this thread took things very personally towards the end of Mick's time and it's led them to tell untruths. Things were fine under Mick for three years or so; in fact the football we played for a lot of the play-off season was intense, high-tempo, high-scoring. He created a dressing room of exceptional professionals that have basically held the club together in the last three months. It was definitely time for him to go, the last two years were pretty dire and he definitely became more conservative (and quarrelsome) than when he started out, although I'd add that he always attempted to add flair to the squad and was often scuppered by injuries and ill luck. Had he been backed financially at the right time we'd have been promoted. You could do far worse and I suspect he'd do well under your chairman.
[Post edited 13 Nov 2018 9:30]

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 09:30 - Nov 13 with 1848 viewsGuthrum

To address one thing you say: It was not a matter of the finance being withdrawn. That had happened well before McCarthy arrived. For his entire tenure he was spending very little on transfer fees - altho the wages were reputedly decent and some of the loans would have been costly.

Much was made in the press about him getting Town to the play-offs with a team the most expensive member of which had cost £10k.

There is much debate (and nobody outside the management of the club really knows) as to whether the money was not available, or if McCarthy himself was unwilling to spend if he didn't think it was worth doing so. In my view, somewhere between the two, only moderate funds and the manager not thinking there was anything worthwhile in that bracket.

One effect of this strategy was that, particularly with young players, he got a lot of freebies in and many fell by the wayside. For every Tyrone Mings, there were several Cameron Stewarts and Piotr Malarczyks. Some of the more senior freebies were startlingly effective (e.g. Stephen Hunt), tho others were just a little too far over the hill (Jonathan Douglas).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 09:32 - Nov 13 with 1831 viewsBrixtonBlue

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 09:25 - Nov 13 by J2BLUE

I should have been clearer.

Replace that line with 'virtually none of the income from transfer fees was reinvested on fees, and although we signed some quality loans and frees it made his job a lot harder to not be able to go out and sign proper replacements. See free agent Murphy being sold for £3m and replaced with Leon Best as a good example'
[Post edited 13 Nov 2018 9:26]

That's better, thanks.

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 09:34 - Nov 13 with 1826 viewsReuser_is_God

He’ll do well initially & then with some decent investment could make you challenge.

It’ll eventually go stale though.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 09:35 - Nov 13 with 1810 viewschicoazul

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 00:06 - Nov 13 by britbiker

Wouldn't argue with too much of that except i do believe he tried to bring in some flair players, both purchased and on loan. However we had terrible luck with injuries to virtually anyone that showed some flair and we never really got the opportunity to see if his style of play would have changed.

I am not convinced that was down to luck. We suffered from injuries constantly during his tenure, too many for it to just be bad luck, and we were completely unable to put players back together again after injury too.

Having said that OP Mick is a very good Manager and he would have any team with a decent budget competing at the right end.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 09:36 - Nov 13 with 1810 viewsBrixtonBlue

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 09:30 - Nov 13 by Guthrum

To address one thing you say: It was not a matter of the finance being withdrawn. That had happened well before McCarthy arrived. For his entire tenure he was spending very little on transfer fees - altho the wages were reputedly decent and some of the loans would have been costly.

Much was made in the press about him getting Town to the play-offs with a team the most expensive member of which had cost £10k.

There is much debate (and nobody outside the management of the club really knows) as to whether the money was not available, or if McCarthy himself was unwilling to spend if he didn't think it was worth doing so. In my view, somewhere between the two, only moderate funds and the manager not thinking there was anything worthwhile in that bracket.

One effect of this strategy was that, particularly with young players, he got a lot of freebies in and many fell by the wayside. For every Tyrone Mings, there were several Cameron Stewarts and Piotr Malarczyks. Some of the more senior freebies were startlingly effective (e.g. Stephen Hunt), tho others were just a little too far over the hill (Jonathan Douglas).

I always liked the stat that when we played Man U in the FA Cup, Wayne Rooney's hair transplant cost 3 times our entire team.

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 09:38 - Nov 13 with 1797 viewsblueislander

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 09:20 - Nov 13 by Herbivore

I'm comfortable with not trying binning off two of our best and most experienced players thanks. Replacing them over the next 18 months is going to be a tall order. Hopefully Downes can step up and fill Skuse's boots but it's a big ask. Chambers will be harder to replace.

So, in the short term , how do you think results will improve?
Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 09:41 - Nov 13 with 1785 viewsBrixtonBlue

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 09:38 - Nov 13 by blueislander

So, in the short term , how do you think results will improve?

By doing everything Lambert has been doing. Which has included Skuse and Chambers.

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 09:42 - Nov 13 with 1780 viewsBrixtonBlue

He will be the best thing since sliced bread when he arrives. But like sliced bread, he will turn stale.

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 09:43 - Nov 13 with 1770 viewsbobbyramsey

Looks like FaroutWest has fooked off, I reckon he's heard enough.......
Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 09:44 - Nov 13 with 1762 viewsDarth_Koont

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 09:35 - Nov 13 by chicoazul

I am not convinced that was down to luck. We suffered from injuries constantly during his tenure, too many for it to just be bad luck, and we were completely unable to put players back together again after injury too.

Having said that OP Mick is a very good Manager and he would have any team with a decent budget competing at the right end.

Bit of bad luck and also a bit of the type of player we were often looking at due to the budget.

For instance, if Huws had been the type of player who'd played 30-40 games a season then Cardiff wouldn't have let him go or if they did he'd have been out of our price range. Ditto a player like Jonny Williams.

But we have lost vital players (McGoldrick and Fraser in particular) at crucial times and for extended periods when there's been no-one even close to replacing them given how little we could afford quality in depth.

Pronouns: He/Him

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 09:45 - Nov 13 with 1773 viewsitfcjoe

He's a very good manager at this level, and whilst the football won't be the prettiest it will generally be functional and effective. Recruitment will be good.

You won't go on the ridiculous runs of 5 wins then 5 losses, he will keep things very stable.

The players will love him, as will the rest of the staff around the club - although the fans might become tired of his style if results aren't there.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 09:50 - Nov 13 with 1743 viewsDarth_Koont

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 09:45 - Nov 13 by itfcjoe

He's a very good manager at this level, and whilst the football won't be the prettiest it will generally be functional and effective. Recruitment will be good.

You won't go on the ridiculous runs of 5 wins then 5 losses, he will keep things very stable.

The players will love him, as will the rest of the staff around the club - although the fans might become tired of his style if results aren't there.

That's a good point. As frustrating as it was that we didn't often put a run of results together (November/December 2014 was special and the whole of his first season was also very good), we never went on a really bad run. After three or four games he always managed to stop the rot.

That's impressive on our budget.

Pronouns: He/Him

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 09:52 - Nov 13 with 1741 viewsReuser_is_God

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 09:50 - Nov 13 by Darth_Koont

That's a good point. As frustrating as it was that we didn't often put a run of results together (November/December 2014 was special and the whole of his first season was also very good), we never went on a really bad run. After three or four games he always managed to stop the rot.

Can we please stop overplaying the budget thing?

Winning 1 in 4 or 2 in 4 “on our budget” wow.

Yes he didn’t have a budget but that doesn’t mean winning games is ‘impressive’.

Oooh wow we won a game against a team who spent a few more millions than us, we’re so good.
[Post edited 13 Nov 2018 9:56]

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 09:54 - Nov 13 with 1734 viewschicoazul

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 09:43 - Nov 13 by bobbyramsey

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 09:57 - Nov 13 with 1720 viewsbluelou

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 09:50 - Nov 13 by Darth_Koont

I still think back to those first few games in August 2015 when Fraser, Knudsen and Pitman had been added to the squad and we were playing wonderful attacking football.

A very unlucky loss to Brighton and an absolute pasting against Reading followed, injuries set in and that season went by the wayside.

If we had money, he’d have been backed with quality replacements to bolster the team but he wasn’t and the attacking game went out of the door.

If I were a Bristol City fan I’d be very excited about the prospect of giving him a chance to get promoted one more time.
[Post edited 13 Nov 2018 9:59]

Poll: What will have the greatest positive impact on attendances next season?

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 10:00 - Nov 13 with 1713 viewsBinner

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 09:43 - Nov 13 by bobbyramsey

Probably at work or something...

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024