Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mick McCarthy - thoughts 23:31 - Nov 12 with 35218 viewsFaroutWest

Hi Tractor boys, Bristol city fan here.
We are getting properly fed up with our useless head coach and his 'tombola' team selections and one of the names fancied as a potential replacement amongst our support is Mick McCarthy.
I appreciate things didn't end well for him or yourselves during his tenure but was he any good before the finance was withdrawn?
His previous managerial record seems very good so, given we are able, within reason, to spend a bit, would he be a decent fit if our job became available and what are your thoughts on him before the last couple of seasons at your place?

Thanks.
FaroutWest.
[Post edited 12 Nov 2018 23:31]
Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 08:02 - Nov 13 with 5640 viewsSteve_M

I think everyone got fed up of each other by the end and was overdue a change, the consequence of being stuck with a bottom third budget in a division where some clubs were spending three or four times as much on wages. Over all though, McCarthy did a very good job here, he was a breath of fresh air when he came to a club that was in a bad way.

As others have identified he would certainly enhance team spirit but I don't necessarily agree that it would have to be negative football. Certainly we had some dreadful games last year but at the start of last season we were playing with four strikers and scoring loads of goals. It very much depends on the players he has available and the form they're in.

We suffered from the fact that our better technical players - notably McGoldrick but also Huws the big hope for last season and Bishop - have had injury problems. That goes with the budget to a certain extent but was as much a cause of some of the worse games as McCarthy.

I think he would do better for you than Johnson who seems to be incredibly streaky as a manager without ever giving the appearance of being in complete control (like a slightly better Paul Jewell in some ways) but I suspect Lansdown will look for someone more of the current era.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 08:02 - Nov 13 with 5632 viewsdavblue

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 07:55 - Nov 13 by blueislander

A big plus as far as we are concerned would be that he would sign "proper blokes" like Skuse and Chambers.

I think we could do with “proper blokes” at the moment.
Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 08:04 - Nov 13 with 5631 viewsblueislander

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 08:02 - Nov 13 by davblue

I think we could do with “proper blokes” at the moment.

Or perhaps " proper footballers"
Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 08:07 - Nov 13 with 5627 viewsdavblue

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 08:04 - Nov 13 by blueislander

Or perhaps " proper footballers"

Good analysis.

They are by no means the best footballers you will ever see but ripping the heart out of the side and dressing room leaders at this moment in time would be folly.
Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 08:20 - Nov 13 with 5611 viewsHerbivore

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 07:55 - Nov 13 by blueislander

A big plus as far as we are concerned would be that he would sign "proper blokes" like Skuse and Chambers.

Yeah, it'd be great for us to lose two of our best and most experienced players! Jesus H Christ, some of our fans really worry me.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 08:29 - Nov 13 with 5597 viewsLeoMuff

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 07:44 - Nov 13 by Benters2

That hasnt got anything to do wth signing a out of depth manager,who signed a load of players who cant step up, and losing Webster,Garner,Waggy,Didzy has it ... no i thought not.

Do Keane, Jewell, and hurst all out of their depth ? as MM was the only one getting results near the play offs or in them.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 08:34 - Nov 13 with 5576 viewsBenters2

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 08:29 - Nov 13 by LeoMuff

Do Keane, Jewell, and hurst all out of their depth ? as MM was the only one getting results near the play offs or in them.

Scrapped into the playoffs once... would that be the same MM who gave us the worst finish in 58 years?
Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 08:43 - Nov 13 with 5564 viewsLeoMuff

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 08:34 - Nov 13 by Benters2

Scrapped into the playoffs once... would that be the same MM who gave us the worst finish in 58 years?

9th, 6th , 7 th, 16th, 12th all on a wage bill 18th highest in the league. One bad finish and that’s all you can give ?

thought you blokes might have wound your necks in after gloating his demise and laughing at be careful what you wish for, look at the state of us now !

Laughing his balls off in South London is our dinosoar.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Login to get fewer ads

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 08:48 - Nov 13 with 5560 viewsartsbossbeard

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 23:35 - Nov 12 by sparks

I would say that your best player, according to friends of mine, is Webster with his wonderful passing form the back.

You can forget that if MM gets hold of him again.

That's bollox, frankly.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 08:50 - Nov 13 with 5560 viewsHerbivore

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 08:48 - Nov 13 by artsbossbeard

That's bollox, frankly.

Quite. MM signed him precisely because he could play out from the back.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 08:51 - Nov 13 with 5549 viewsartsbossbeard

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 07:21 - Nov 13 by Chocorange

Short term , all will be rosy.. He's an experienced manager with good contacts in the game. Will have you competing , good team spirit and fighting for everything.

The football will be dour, , inspiring boring to watch hoofball and if the team is struggling you will often set up with with 5 defenders and 3 defensive midfielders , all of which can't pass forwards ...even when at home to the worst teams in the league. ( Evidence Rotherham at home when they were awful) ,

You will set up for a point every game, ( every point is a prisoner) and you will be lucky to see a shot on goal let alone one on target once he's into safety mode.

No more attacking late subs to try and win the game, instead you will see defensive mids or wingers that track their man and mark them out of the game at the expense of forward intent.

You can forget cup runs, we never won one fa cup tie in all the time he was here, despite drawing teams from the bottom division or non league. Cup embarrassments became the norm , the league cup also saw defeats to Stevenage and others.
Worse, if you actually manage to get past a round ( as we did in the League cup twice) , and draw a Prem team , it won't be fun( we drew Man Utd away , huge support went to Old Trafford , only to see 11 changes and useless journeymen in the team.. His reason.. The league is more important , on that occasion if memory serves we lost to Bristol City a few days later despite the extra rest for the first team) , last season we drew Palace away and again played all kids, they did OK, but this was a Palace low on confidence and bottom of the Prem at the time and were there for the beating.
Surely football is about excitement, not Groundhog Day of the same year after year. Have a go at the opportunities when they come around.

We also hardly ever won a big game on Sky, or a local derby against the scum, lost in the play offs... All the big games...
In his press conferences , every opposing team will be described in terms akin to Barcelona, we had to scrap hard fight for every ball blah blah blah

He alienated the fan base here , split it by having a go on numerous occasions, to the outright shout of feck off to us at Norwich. This reduced the crowd numbers and the season ticket holders and the atmosphere.

Wolves fans told us what would happen as they had a similar experience.

On the plus side, you will be safe, but if dour footy, no excitement from cup runs or big game wins, hardly a shot on target doesn't float your boat I would steer well clear.

Oh and lastly, it must be a nailed in cert that you would re-sign Skuse!

It's a good job you're not at all bitter about things.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 08:53 - Nov 13 with 5547 viewsJ2BLUE

He would be a great fit for you. He's a very shrewd manager who aims to squeeze every ounce of potential out of his squad. We only finished as high as we did in recent times because of his approach. This relegation battle was held off by MM for years while he had our best players sold with none of the money reinvested. He also consistently turned water into wine with his signings.

People talk about 'hoof ball' but there's no guarantee his tactics would be like that at a side with a bit more quality and a lot more money. As for Webster, if you want a ball playing CB making pretty passes while you finish mid table then MM isn't your man. If you want him to be a defender while MM gets every drop of potential out of your squad then you can't do any better.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 08:55 - Nov 13 with 5537 viewsartsbossbeard

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 08:43 - Nov 13 by LeoMuff

9th, 6th , 7 th, 16th, 12th all on a wage bill 18th highest in the league. One bad finish and that’s all you can give ?

thought you blokes might have wound your necks in after gloating his demise and laughing at be careful what you wish for, look at the state of us now !

Ladies & Gentlemen, we have a winner.

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 08:57 - Nov 13 with 5534 viewsPinewoodblue

As you can see he will divide the support. Mick is OK short term.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 08:58 - Nov 13 with 5532 viewsBasuco

MM is a decent manager results wise, but you you would not want to pay to watch his team play for too long. It's OK while he stabilises a club and gets results back on track, but for fans who regular attend there is only so much dull boring football you can put up with.
Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 09:03 - Nov 13 with 5509 viewsblueislander

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 08:20 - Nov 13 by Herbivore

Yeah, it'd be great for us to lose two of our best and most experienced players! Jesus H Christ, some of our fans really worry me.

You cannot say with any certainty that the team would not be better without them. It is just your opinion that the team needs them . Until we try something different we will never know. Results so far this season would suggest that something needs to change.
Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 09:03 - Nov 13 with 5505 viewsSuperfrans

McCarthy will build a real team spirit, he'll get more out of your players than many other managers would (his teams tend to me more than the sum of their parts), Webster will be delighted to see him again. You'll do better than you are currently, I would expect.

But the downside is that his teams play the percentage game, by and large. That tends to mean not risking passing around defence and between defence and midfield, he'll be fairly direct.

For me, moans about his style of football is overstated - it will all be fine if it's delivering success, wins, play-off qualification etc. If not, you'll get bored with the football style in time.

The key is whether he can get you up, or flirting with promotion, before you get bored with the football.

EDIT: One final thing, as this thread shows - he is an incredibly divisive character. Some fans will love him, some will not - some will even detest him by the end, especially if he overstays his welcome.
[Post edited 13 Nov 2018 9:07]

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 09:04 - Nov 13 with 5497 viewsKieran_Knows

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 07:33 - Nov 13 by Bluefish

Just look at what has happened to us since he left and it will tell you everything. The bloke is a legend and a miracle worker. He is also a beautiful man.

Legend? Jesus wept.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 09:07 - Nov 13 with 5488 viewsLord_Lucan

The first thing he will do is consolidate you and make you feel proud of your club again.

He will then set out to annoy and baffle you and make you think you are on a roundabout for years.

Are you married?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 09:11 - Nov 13 with 5477 viewsDarth_Koont

Mick will stick with players and try to build a team — that can have its downsides if the team aren't playing well but long term I think that's a good approach (and one that already in two games seems to be paying dividends for Lambert and our players).

I suppose the question is what else do you think is lacking from the team? I'd say his man-management is his biggest strength, followed by being able to spot a player without the need to overspend, and getting strikers scoring (here's where Terry Connor really seems to come in). Beyond that everything is based on pragmatism and results, so if any of that is missing and needs to be added to what you already have then he'd be a good choice.

He won't bring flair or a purist style (although he's not averse to flair players) but he can certainly put more purpose and work-rate into a team that needs these. And in the Championship I think they're greatly undervalued qualities.
[Post edited 13 Nov 2018 9:16]

Pronouns: He/Him

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 09:12 - Nov 13 with 5471 viewsBinner

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 07:44 - Nov 13 by Benters2

That hasnt got anything to do wth signing a out of depth manager,who signed a load of players who cant step up, and losing Webster,Garner,Waggy,Didzy has it ... no i thought not.

Would you care to point out to the gentleman from Bristol who signed those four players you've named and how much they cost?

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 09:14 - Nov 13 with 5456 viewsartsbossbeard

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 09:12 - Nov 13 by Binner

Would you care to point out to the gentleman from Bristol who signed those four players you've named and how much they cost?

*gets comfy, sips tea*

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 09:18 - Nov 13 with 5427 viewsJ2BLUE

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 09:12 - Nov 13 by Binner

No reply 1/5
Reply completely ignoring your point with some sort of weird accusation 5/4
Factually accurate reply 10,000/1

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 09:19 - Nov 13 with 5423 viewsBrixtonBlue

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 08:53 - Nov 13 by J2BLUE

He would be a great fit for you. He's a very shrewd manager who aims to squeeze every ounce of potential out of his squad. We only finished as high as we did in recent times because of his approach. This relegation battle was held off by MM for years while he had our best players sold with none of the money reinvested. He also consistently turned water into wine with his signings.

People talk about 'hoof ball' but there's no guarantee his tactics would be like that at a side with a bit more quality and a lot more money. As for Webster, if you want a ball playing CB making pretty passes while you finish mid table then MM isn't your man. If you want him to be a defender while MM gets every drop of potential out of your squad then you can't do any better.

"our best players sold with none of the money reinvested."

NONE of the money reinvested?! NONE?!?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 09:20 - Nov 13 with 5420 viewsTractorWood

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 08:43 - Nov 13 by LeoMuff

It may have been ugly at times but the guy will keep you up and fighting. To me, on our budget, we go down 9 times out of 10 with an average manager in charge.
[Post edited 13 Nov 2018 9:27]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024