Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mick McCarthy - thoughts 23:31 - Nov 12 with 35221 viewsFaroutWest

Hi Tractor boys, Bristol city fan here.
We are getting properly fed up with our useless head coach and his 'tombola' team selections and one of the names fancied as a potential replacement amongst our support is Mick McCarthy.
I appreciate things didn't end well for him or yourselves during his tenure but was he any good before the finance was withdrawn?
His previous managerial record seems very good so, given we are able, within reason, to spend a bit, would he be a decent fit if our job became available and what are your thoughts on him before the last couple of seasons at your place?

Thanks.
FaroutWest.
[Post edited 12 Nov 2018 23:31]
Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 18:09 - Nov 13 with 4298 viewsHerbivore

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 17:15 - Nov 13 by JimmyJazz

True, but I wonder if that's how he'll be viewed now?

If he is it'd be foolish. He's a very good manager at this level and in the right job he could easily take a side up.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 19:27 - Nov 13 with 4249 viewsPecker

If you enjoy lump it and hope football, then MM is your man.
Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 19:55 - Nov 13 with 4234 viewsWestSussexBlue

How about a certain Mr Paul Hurst, he changed so much in such a short space of time here?
Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 19:59 - Nov 13 with 4231 viewsSwn98

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 07:56 - Nov 13 by hampstead_blue

Back to the OP.

If you give him a decent budget and accept very pragmatic football, you'll be OK.
However, he is as stubborn as a mule and gives as good as he gets.

He left us with a rather barbed statement; "be careful what you wish for"

well he was correct wasn't he.
Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 20:00 - Nov 13 with 4228 viewsSwn98

You could do alot worse Paul Hurst.
Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 20:08 - Nov 13 with 4212 viewsjeera

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 17:15 - Nov 13 by JimmyJazz

True, but I wonder if that's how he'll be viewed now?

By those who keep repeating it, yes, probably.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 20:31 - Nov 13 with 4188 viewsjas0999

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 23:36 - Nov 12 by Marshalls_Mullet

Hard to say how he would do with a good budget as he didn't have one with us.

Seem to recall his wolves team played quite attacking football.

I'd say Mick is more of a means to an end, maybe a bit left behind with his agricultural style.

However, he does create loyalty in the dressing room, a good team spirit and recruits well. Bit the team spirit seemingly is sometimes created by an 'us and them' mentality.

You'd never be in relegation trouble with him. But I doubt you'd be challenging near the top either.

He did a decent job for us in the circumstances. But it was time to part ways.

This.
Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 21:47 - Nov 13 with 4149 viewsLeagueOne

Our best manager since Joe Royle, so over a decade and the only manager under our current owner to even threaten promotion. He would be a great appointment.

It's time to make the best of it.
Poll: Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

Login to get fewer ads

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 22:13 - Nov 13 with 4129 viewsOsmansCleanSheet

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 21:47 - Nov 13 by LeagueOne

Our best manager since Joe Royle, so over a decade and the only manager under our current owner to even threaten promotion. He would be a great appointment.

Hardly a glowing accolade, most of the others since Royle have been utterly hopeless. You could say he’s been the best of a very bad bunch.
Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 22:13 - Nov 13 with 4127 viewsTrequartista

If you don't want to go up or down and like hoofball he's all yours.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 02:16 - Nov 14 with 4071 viewsWednesdayJon

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 11:34 - Nov 13 by TheTrueBlue1878

It will be good for the first 18/24 months. High intensity, hard work, not good football, always hitting the big man and feeding off second balls, but it does work at times. But then it all gets rather stale, the players get comfortable because he has people who know they are guaranteed starters even if their form dips. The crowds will drop because people are not getting value for money, the bitterness will come from the faithful that have remained, and he will leave.

The Mick McCarthy cycle. Stays 4/5 years, i.e Sunderland, Wolves, Ipswich.

Bloody heck! . . . How many Championship managers stay as long as 4 to 5 years!!
Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 04:44 - Nov 14 with 4030 viewsBenters2

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 15:21 - Nov 13 by braveblue

If you want to watch awful football, split your fan base and achieve your worst league position in 50 years then he is your man!!!

They don’t like that 58 yr fact.

Just brush that one under the carpet 😗
Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 04:46 - Nov 14 with 4030 viewsBenters2

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 16:17 - Nov 13 by BrixtonBlue

One minute you want us to spend spend spend like Derby, the next our wage bill is irrelevant. Make you mind up fella!

Oh do shut up man baby 👶
Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 05:59 - Nov 14 with 4016 viewsBenters2

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 16:16 - Nov 13 by LeoMuff

Even you can work out play offs and top 10 finishes is decent on the budget surely ?

Of course.

But you can pick stats out the air the same way i can,and you can agree or dsagree just i can.
Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 06:07 - Nov 14 with 4020 viewsblueconscience

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 08:51 - Nov 13 by artsbossbeard

It's a good job you're not at all bitter about things.

And where in his/her post was wrong?
[Post edited 14 Nov 2018 6:13]

Poll: What % of ST holders saying they won’t renew, will end up renewing regardless?

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 06:19 - Nov 14 with 4005 viewsBenters2

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 06:07 - Nov 14 by blueconscience

And where in his/her post was wrong?
[Post edited 14 Nov 2018 6:13]

What post?
Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 06:33 - Nov 14 with 3997 viewsBenters2

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 09:12 - Nov 13 by Binner

Would you care to point out to the gentleman from Bristol who signed those four players you've named and how much they cost?

I will put my hands up you have got me big time.
Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 07:31 - Nov 14 with 3967 viewsblueconscience

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 06:19 - Nov 14 by Benters2

What post?

The Chocorange post where The post I replied to was replying to. To be honest I didn’t realise it was 6 pages when I posted

Poll: What % of ST holders saying they won’t renew, will end up renewing regardless?

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 07:31 - Nov 14 with 3967 viewsChocorange

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 07:21 - Nov 13 by Chocorange

Short term , all will be rosy.. He's an experienced manager with good contacts in the game. Will have you competing , good team spirit and fighting for everything.

The football will be dour, , inspiring boring to watch hoofball and if the team is struggling you will often set up with with 5 defenders and 3 defensive midfielders , all of which can't pass forwards ...even when at home to the worst teams in the league. ( Evidence Rotherham at home when they were awful) ,

You will set up for a point every game, ( every point is a prisoner) and you will be lucky to see a shot on goal let alone one on target once he's into safety mode.

No more attacking late subs to try and win the game, instead you will see defensive mids or wingers that track their man and mark them out of the game at the expense of forward intent.

You can forget cup runs, we never won one fa cup tie in all the time he was here, despite drawing teams from the bottom division or non league. Cup embarrassments became the norm , the league cup also saw defeats to Stevenage and others.
Worse, if you actually manage to get past a round ( as we did in the League cup twice) , and draw a Prem team , it won't be fun( we drew Man Utd away , huge support went to Old Trafford , only to see 11 changes and useless journeymen in the team.. His reason.. The league is more important , on that occasion if memory serves we lost to Bristol City a few days later despite the extra rest for the first team) , last season we drew Palace away and again played all kids, they did OK, but this was a Palace low on confidence and bottom of the Prem at the time and were there for the beating.
Surely football is about excitement, not Groundhog Day of the same year after year. Have a go at the opportunities when they come around.

We also hardly ever won a big game on Sky, or a local derby against the scum, lost in the play offs... All the big games...
In his press conferences , every opposing team will be described in terms akin to Barcelona, we had to scrap hard fight for every ball blah blah blah

He alienated the fan base here , split it by having a go on numerous occasions, to the outright shout of feck off to us at Norwich. This reduced the crowd numbers and the season ticket holders and the atmosphere.

Wolves fans told us what would happen as they had a similar experience.

On the plus side, you will be safe, but if dour footy, no excitement from cup runs or big game wins, hardly a shot on target doesn't float your boat I would steer well clear.

Oh and lastly, it must be a nailed in cert that you would re-sign Skuse!

This post.
Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 07:33 - Nov 14 with 3960 viewsblueconscience

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 07:31 - Nov 14 by Chocorange

This post.

Thank you

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 07:44 - Nov 14 with 3949 viewsBenters2

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 07:31 - Nov 14 by Chocorange

This post.

What you said was correct, I can’t see how anybody can disagree with it tbh.

Blueallover fill your boots sad case.
Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 10:13 - Nov 14 with 3889 viewssotd78

MM and ITFC - fan base about as unified as the country over Brexit.

In the end 48% were ReMMainers and 52% MMexiters!

Blue shirts/white shorts - sotd78

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 10:19 - Nov 14 with 3881 viewsHerbivore

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 07:44 - Nov 14 by Benters2

What you said was correct, I can’t see how anybody can disagree with it tbh.

Blueallover fill your boots sad case.

I can see how people would disagree with it, given that a fair bit of it isn't really accurate.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 10:44 - Nov 14 with 3866 viewsPJH

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 10:19 - Nov 14 by Herbivore

I can see how people would disagree with it, given that a fair bit of it isn't really accurate.

The trouble is that the Bristol City fan that posted the OP might actually believe it.
Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 10:46 - Nov 14 with 3860 viewsBenters2

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 10:19 - Nov 14 by Herbivore

Which parts are not right?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024