Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Chambers - 'I can pass the ball as well as anyone' 10:42 - Dec 19 with 4984 viewsHarry_Palmer

Interesting piece here about Chambers enjoying the responsibility of passing out from the back.

I did notice against Wigan that he was surprisingly comfortable on the ball and his passing was generally good. The stats seem to back this up also with Chambers at 77% pass completion against Wigan, the highest in the team.

I think most fans have always viewed Chambers as a bit of a hoof merchant who can't really play, it seems this may have been a bit unfair and down to management instruction rather than his ability.

It will be interesting to see if he can keep this up over the rest of the season.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/luke-chambers-on-his-passing-ability-1-5822834
Chambers - 'I can pass the ball as well as anyone' on 10:54 - Dec 19 with 4916 viewsRobTheMonk

I think it became ingrained to hoof it to Murphy when he was here. A testament to how good Muphy's hold-up play was.
Chambers - 'I can pass the ball as well as anyone' on 10:56 - Dec 19 with 4909 viewsSomethingBlue

He's no Baresi but he is, indeed, better at that side of things than people think. Pings the occasional lovely crossfield ball, for one thing, and while at full-back his delivery was not terrible.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Chambers - 'I can pass the ball as well as anyone' on 10:57 - Dec 19 with 4903 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Some 'fans' need to take a long hard look at themselves after recent criticism of Chambers and only yesterday large swathes were suggesting that he could be the one to be dropped if Carter-Vickers comes in, rather than Pennington.

Chambers arrived here, as he says, as a ball playing centre half and Mick's style of play made one of his key attributes redundant. Then he got moved out of position to right back for the best part of three seasons and continued to give his all.

Playing out of position, not using his attributes and doing a job for the team whilst being the glue that at times has held the club together is the mark of the man. What a role model and professional.

He is not a top Championship centre half but we are not a top Championship team. He is however a first class professional, exceptional captain and without him god knows where this club would be now.

Nothing would give me more pleasure than Chambers excelling in his favoured position using the attributes that he was renowned for before coming here, in addition to those he has gained here in his selfless service.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Chambers - 'I can pass the ball as well as anyone' on 11:03 - Dec 19 with 4869 viewsOsborneOneNil

Chambers - 'I can pass the ball as well as anyone' on 10:57 - Dec 19 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Some 'fans' need to take a long hard look at themselves after recent criticism of Chambers and only yesterday large swathes were suggesting that he could be the one to be dropped if Carter-Vickers comes in, rather than Pennington.

Chambers arrived here, as he says, as a ball playing centre half and Mick's style of play made one of his key attributes redundant. Then he got moved out of position to right back for the best part of three seasons and continued to give his all.

Playing out of position, not using his attributes and doing a job for the team whilst being the glue that at times has held the club together is the mark of the man. What a role model and professional.

He is not a top Championship centre half but we are not a top Championship team. He is however a first class professional, exceptional captain and without him god knows where this club would be now.

Nothing would give me more pleasure than Chambers excelling in his favoured position using the attributes that he was renowned for before coming here, in addition to those he has gained here in his selfless service.

Great guy, good leader. But, he's not a ball playing centre back, is he.

High % passing stats, so it should be, a centre back makes most passes 10 yards across to his mate for the most part.
Chambers - 'I can pass the ball as well as anyone' on 11:18 - Dec 19 with 4809 viewsHarry_Palmer

Chambers - 'I can pass the ball as well as anyone' on 11:03 - Dec 19 by OsborneOneNil

Great guy, good leader. But, he's not a ball playing centre back, is he.

High % passing stats, so it should be, a centre back makes most passes 10 yards across to his mate for the most part.

To be fair he was making forward passes into the midfield as well on Saturday. I have a hunch he is far better at this than what we have previously seen, time will tell I guess.
Chambers - 'I can pass the ball as well as anyone' on 11:20 - Dec 19 with 4788 viewsHarry_Palmer

Chambers - 'I can pass the ball as well as anyone' on 10:57 - Dec 19 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Absolutely, first name on the team sheet for me. Dropping Chambers at this juncture would be just about the worst thing we could do.
Chambers - 'I can pass the ball as well as anyone' on 11:21 - Dec 19 with 4778 viewsReuser_is_God

I really dislike his new haircut.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Chambers - 'I can pass the ball as well as anyone' on 11:21 - Dec 19 with 4782 viewsArnieM

Since Paul Lambert has been manager and we’ve adopted the passing game especially out from the back, Ive noticed Chambo does actually have a decent pass on him. Which goes to show players demonstrate what their managers want/ ask them to do. Yet another nail in the McCarthy brand of football IMO. “Hoof”!

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Login to get fewer ads

Chambers - 'I can pass the ball as well as anyone' on 11:45 - Dec 19 with 4687 viewsFrimleyBlue

How a defender players relies on the movement of those infront of him. If players come for the ball, Chambers can play it short, If no one wants it.... what's the option for him other than go long

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Chambers - 'I can pass the ball as well as anyone' on 12:03 - Dec 19 with 4614 viewsSouperJim

He's still the best right-back at the club for me, if CCV does come in, that's where I'd play him. Kenlock-Pennington-CCV-Chambers sounds much stronger than what we've seen recently.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Chambers - 'I can pass the ball as well as anyone' on 12:04 - Dec 19 with 4608 viewsKieran_Knows

Chambers - 'I can pass the ball as well as anyone' on 11:21 - Dec 19 by Reuser_is_God

That's what you'll be looking like come the end of the season....

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Chambers - 'I can pass the ball as well as anyone' on 12:33 - Dec 19 with 4511 viewsOsborneOneNil

Chambers - 'I can pass the ball as well as anyone' on 11:18 - Dec 19 by Harry_Palmer

To be fair he was making forward passes into the midfield as well on Saturday. I have a hunch he is far better at this than what we have previously seen, time will tell I guess.

Be superb if that's the case, top bloke.
Chambers - 'I can pass the ball as well as anyone' on 12:35 - Dec 19 with 4501 viewsGeoffSentence

Chambers - 'I can pass the ball as well as anyone' on 10:54 - Dec 19 by RobTheMonk

I think it became ingrained to hoof it to Murphy when he was here. A testament to how good Muphy's hold-up play was.

I suspect that they were instructed to do that by the management.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Chambers - 'I can pass the ball as well as anyone' on 12:43 - Dec 19 with 4450 viewsSwansea_Blue

Chambers - 'I can pass the ball as well as anyone' on 11:45 - Dec 19 by FrimleyBlue

How a defender players relies on the movement of those infront of him. If players come for the ball, Chambers can play it short, If no one wants it.... what's the option for him other than go long

Yep. And structure in play - not being afraid to recycle along the backline, for example.

Incidentally, that 77% pass completion rate is a damning statistic. No surprise that he was our highest (DCs often are), but decent passing teams normally have top passers hitting mid- to upper-80s.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Chambers - 'I can pass the ball as well as anyone' on 12:53 - Dec 19 with 4407 viewsclive_baker

Chambers - 'I can pass the ball as well as anyone' on 11:21 - Dec 19 by ArnieM

Since Paul Lambert has been manager and we’ve adopted the passing game especially out from the back, Ive noticed Chambo does actually have a decent pass on him. Which goes to show players demonstrate what their managers want/ ask them to do. Yet another nail in the McCarthy brand of football IMO. “Hoof”!

I'm not sure it reflects on McCarthy particularly. Mick played to his strengths and stuck to what he knew. When you've got a player like Murphy at your disposal, hit him with direct balls and get willing runners and a bit of quality playing off him.

This squad is a different proposition altogether. I don't doubt Lambert would adopt a less direct brand of football regardless, but if he had have inherited a Murphy rather than a Sears it might've been a slightly different story.
[Post edited 19 Dec 2018 13:14]

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Chambers - 'I can pass the ball as well as anyone' on 15:36 - Dec 19 with 4200 viewsbraveblue

I think his passing ability over the past few years would prove his statement wrong.
Chambers - 'I can pass the ball as well as anyone' on 15:41 - Dec 19 with 4189 viewsHarry_Palmer

Chambers - 'I can pass the ball as well as anyone' on 15:36 - Dec 19 by braveblue

I think his passing ability over the past few years would prove his statement wrong.

You didn't read the article did you?
Chambers - 'I can pass the ball as well as anyone' on 22:35 - Dec 19 with 3975 viewsreusersfreekicks

Bit of an indictment of MM and his reluctance to play passing football. Players got deskilled in some ways. See also Skuse knocking crossfield passes around for fun
Chambers - 'I can pass the ball as well as anyone' on 23:24 - Dec 19 with 3911 viewsthechancer

I suppose Chambers coming out and saying this shows he feels guilty of the past seasons of lumping it up the field basically hoofball.
Perhaps he can carry on trying to improve his passing but if we do get Carter Vickers I feel Chambers could be the one to drop to the bench his defending has been very suspect more so than Pennington.
Chambers - 'I can pass the ball as well as anyone' on 00:19 - Dec 20 with 3871 viewsJimmy86

Chambers - 'I can pass the ball as well as anyone' on 11:21 - Dec 19 by Reuser_is_God

Well I have a feeling he might have been receding somewhat as he would have grown it back after the hot summer. He loved a quiff did Chambo...
Chambers - 'I can pass the ball as well as anyone' on 07:06 - Dec 20 with 3794 viewsScottCandage

This echoes what Bart said about MM's instruction not to distribute the ball to defenders and to ALWAYS pun the ball up the field.
Chambers - 'I can pass the ball as well as anyone' on 10:51 - Dec 20 with 3683 viewsPilgrimblue

Just goes to show that it was MM tactics to hoof and that PL has restored normal service of playing passing football. Chambo has shown he is a good player so all he needs to do is score some goals.
Chambers - 'I can pass the ball as well as anyone' on 13:16 - Dec 20 with 3632 viewsNo9

Chambers - 'I can pass the ball as well as anyone' on 10:54 - Dec 19 by RobTheMonk

That was the problem = One trick pony
When Murph left the void was never filled
Not forgetting to mention is only really worked for one season
Chambers - 'I can pass the ball as well as anyone' on 13:21 - Dec 20 with 3618 viewsDyland

Chambers - 'I can pass the ball as well as anyone' on 23:24 - Dec 19 by thechancer

I suppose Chambers coming out and saying this shows he feels guilty of the past seasons of lumping it up the field basically hoofball.
Perhaps he can carry on trying to improve his passing but if we do get Carter Vickers I feel Chambers could be the one to drop to the bench his defending has been very suspect more so than Pennington.

What a lot of nonsense.

He doesn't feel guilty.

And he's our captain, he won't be dropped. And nor should he be. The whole defence has been suspect this season, but it's not due to Chambers being a poor defender.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024