Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Andy Murray forced to retire 07:03 - Jan 11 with 5353 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Wants to finish at Wimbledon in June but reckons this could be his last tournament due to the pain.

It’s used to be relatively popular over here to dislike him (perhaps cos he’s a Scot) but in recent years that seems to have changed.

Sad to see him having to end his career prematurely.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Andy Murray forced to retire on 07:08 - Jan 11 with 4215 viewsBenters2

I dont like him as he always looks a grumpy fkr to me.

His mum is worth a wipe though.
Andy Murray forced to retire on 07:22 - Jan 11 with 4174 viewsstickymockwell

Andy Murray forced to retire on 07:08 - Jan 11 by Benters2

Give him a ball and a yard of grass
Poll: How many times have you looked at the table since full time yesterday?

Andy Murray forced to retire on 07:24 - Jan 11 with 4167 viewsStokieBlue

You don't like people because of how they look?

I'm shocked.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Andy Murray forced to retire on 07:27 - Jan 11 with 4156 viewsDanTheMan

Not a big tennis fan but never nice to see a good career cut short, was nice to have a decent British player even if he did rub people the wrong way (though I don't know why).

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Andy Murray forced to retire on 07:27 - Jan 11 with 4154 viewsSitfcB

I’m not sure about that one benters.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Andy Murray forced to retire on 07:30 - Jan 11 with 4149 viewsStokieBlue

Andy Murray forced to retire on 07:27 - Jan 11 by DanTheMan

Not a big tennis fan but never nice to see a good career cut short, was nice to have a decent British player even if he did rub people the wrong way (though I don't know why).

Better than decent, I don't think we will see one like him for a long time.

To win all he did in an era contain Federer, Nadal and Djokovic and to get to world number one as an amazing achievement.

Some people still hold his England team joke against him even thought he's explained it many times. Context is lost on many.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Andy Murray forced to retire on 07:30 - Jan 11 with 4149 viewsm14_blue

Always seemed like a thoroughly decent guy away from the court, albeit slightly uncomfortable with the celebrity side of things.

A real shame to see his career cut short but he has already achieved almost everything, best British player ever?
Andy Murray forced to retire on 07:41 - Jan 11 with 4116 viewsgtsb

Login to get fewer ads

Andy Murray forced to retire on 07:43 - Jan 11 with 4113 viewsJakeITFC

One of, if not the, greatest British sportsman of my lifetime.

To consider that he was probably in contention at the top of the most incredibly dominant period of Grand Slam tennis, it’s remarkable that he was very much in the conversation for long periods with Federer, Nadal and Djokovic. His defensive tennis, especially returning serve and keeping himself in rallies with speed and agility was almost unmatched.

A real shame to see him retire, but hopefully for the best for his health. Given the esteem in which Tim Henman is held for being levels below Murray, he shouldn’t struggle for work in tennis or the media after his career ends.
Andy Murray forced to retire on 07:45 - Jan 11 with 4093 viewsDanTheMan

Andy Murray forced to retire on 07:30 - Jan 11 by StokieBlue

Better than decent, I don't think we will see one like him for a long time.

To win all he did in an era contain Federer, Nadal and Djokovic and to get to world number one as an amazing achievement.

Some people still hold his England team joke against him even thought he's explained it many times. Context is lost on many.

SB

Yes, u was probably very much understating his achievements and skill, mainly because I have no idea about tennis. He did incredibly well in a period when some of the best of all time were also playing.

Hope he finds some happiness in his retirement.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Andy Murray forced to retire on 07:49 - Jan 11 with 4079 viewsKeno

as others have said was unlucky to have been in the same era as three of the other greatest players ever but won grand slams, olympic golds and was world number one

How long there is another British players anywhere near that standard?

Good Luck Andy in the future

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Andy Murray forced to retire on 07:52 - Jan 11 with 4071 viewsgiant_stow

Haha!

Very libtard in its own way too - older women sometimes seem to complain about being sexually invisible.
[Post edited 11 Jan 2019 8:24]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Andy Murray forced to retire on 08:18 - Jan 11 with 4019 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Jesus

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Andy Murray forced to retire on 08:21 - Jan 11 with 4012 viewsartsbossbeard

Andy Murray forced to retire on 07:43 - Jan 11 by JakeITFC

One of, if not the, greatest British sportsman of my lifetime.

To consider that he was probably in contention at the top of the most incredibly dominant period of Grand Slam tennis, it’s remarkable that he was very much in the conversation for long periods with Federer, Nadal and Djokovic. His defensive tennis, especially returning serve and keeping himself in rallies with speed and agility was almost unmatched.

A real shame to see him retire, but hopefully for the best for his health. Given the esteem in which Tim Henman is held for being levels below Murray, he shouldn’t struggle for work in tennis or the media after his career ends.

I make you right.

What he didn't have in talent against the big 3, he certainly made up for it in endeavour and never giving up on a point.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Andy Murray forced to retire on 08:32 - Jan 11 with 3975 viewsitfcjoe

Sad to see - a truly fantastic tennis player, streets ahead of any British one in my lifetime.

Always enjoyed watching him, and the slams when the big 4 met were always classics, Andy seemed to often end up on tougher side of draw for scheduling and because of the dominance of Federer, Nadal and Djokovic winning anything was a huge achievement, but he was genuinely of their level for a decent period.

Always think he comes across well to, very dry sense of humour but can tell a bit of mischief with it - best of luck Andy!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Andy Murray forced to retire on 08:34 - Jan 11 with 3963 viewsMalcolmBlue

Sounded like he was about to cry when I listened to him on Radio 4 this morning

Poll: Is Theresa May the "Paul Hurst" of politics?

Andy Murray forced to retire on 08:35 - Jan 11 with 3953 viewsKeno

Andy Murray forced to retire on 08:34 - Jan 11 by MalcolmBlue

Sounded like he was about to cry when I listened to him on Radio 4 this morning

it was painful watching, really feel for the guy

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/andy-murray-retirement-australian-ope

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Andy Murray forced to retire on 08:38 - Jan 11 with 3936 viewsblueislander

Andy Murray forced to retire on 08:21 - Jan 11 by artsbossbeard

I make you right.

What he didn't have in talent against the big 3, he certainly made up for it in endeavour and never giving up on a point.

I would say that Murray had more talent than any of them. Certainly more than Nadal and Djokovic. He had a much more complete game. He was also a brilliant doubles player.
Andy Murray forced to retire on 08:42 - Jan 11 with 3917 viewsHerbivore

Andy Murray forced to retire on 08:35 - Jan 11 by Keno

it was painful watching, really feel for the guy

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/andy-murray-retirement-australian-ope

He's always been pretty open with his emotions and I respect that. It's not always been seen as okay for male sportspeople to show their emotions and he's challenged that. He's also been an excellent advocate for women's tennis and put a journalist right in his place (without being remotely nasty) when asked a question about becoming the first tennis player to win two Olympic golds.

Genuine elite player too, just a half a level below the big 3 which is why he's reached so many semis and finals but won comparatively few Slams.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Andy Murray forced to retire on 08:42 - Jan 11 with 3916 viewsartsbossbeard

Andy Murray forced to retire on 08:38 - Jan 11 by blueislander

I would say that Murray had more talent than any of them. Certainly more than Nadal and Djokovic. He had a much more complete game. He was also a brilliant doubles player.

Oof! That's a controversial viewpoint!

More talent than Federer?

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.

Andy Murray forced to retire on 08:45 - Jan 11 with 3900 viewsHerbivore

Andy Murray forced to retire on 08:42 - Jan 11 by artsbossbeard

Federer is the most naturally gifted. There's a point there with the other two, Murray has more skill possibly but they are both absolute beasts physically and that gave them an edge over him.

Andy Murray forced to retire on 08:49 - Jan 11 with 3882 viewsartsbossbeard

Andy Murray forced to retire on 08:45 - Jan 11 by Herbivore

Federer is the most naturally gifted. There's a point there with the other two, Murray has more skill possibly but they are both absolute beasts physically and that gave them an edge over him.

Yep, I listened to a Novak interview awhile back when he said that he had to change his game when playing Murray. He had to make sure that he hit the baseline or the corners as Murray would chase down every ball whilst other players would accept that the point was lost.

Andy Murray forced to retire on 08:51 - Jan 11 with 3868 viewsHerbivore

Andy Murray forced to retire on 08:49 - Jan 11 by artsbossbeard

Yep, I listened to a Novak interview awhile back when he said that he had to change his game when playing Murray. He had to make sure that he hit the baseline or the corners as Murray would chase down every ball whilst other players would accept that the point was lost.

Yeah, I imagine his unforced error count against Murray is much higher than against other opponents. He'd often go long or wide looking to hit the lines. Murray maybe lacked a little power to hit clean winners like a Federer but he ground players down and made them miss.

Andy Murray forced to retire on 08:52 - Jan 11 with 3866 viewsblueislander

Andy Murray forced to retire on 08:42 - Jan 11 by artsbossbeard

Possibly not more than Federer, but arguably more than Nadal and Djokovoc, who are more one dimensional, and relied a lot on physicality..
Andy Murray forced to retire on 08:53 - Jan 11 with 3859 viewsartsbossbeard

Andy Murray forced to retire on 08:52 - Jan 11 by blueislander

Possibly not more than Federer, but arguably more than Nadal and Djokovoc, who are more one dimensional, and relied a lot on physicality..

Fair enough!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024