Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
An observation 17:28 - May 12 with 6329 viewsSarge

Anyone else find it a bit odd that people are always saying how sky has ruined football, how money has ruined football, how it was better before 1992 etc but want City to win the league? A team that is the literal embodiment of global money buying success. Sure Liverpool have spent vast sums too but a lot of the opposition to them seems to be based on things that happened decades ago.
An observation on 17:31 - May 12 with 3847 viewsHerbivore

I think once people hit 40 they start to mainly live in the past.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

An observation on 17:32 - May 12 with 3854 viewsclive_baker

I think it depends on your reasons. It’s the Richard Wright factor for me.

As well as finding, from experience, that Liverpool supporters can be insufferable and it’s quite funny to see them pipped. Very good mate is also a City fan manc born & bred so nice for him.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

An observation on 17:37 - May 12 with 3829 viewsPendejo

I can't speak for everyone, but, the following may be reasons why some of us in our 50s +/- 5 years may hold Liverpool in less than a kind light;-

They were the only team to be more consistent team in the league than us over a period of time
They were massively successful, yet were masters of killing off a game - the back pass rule was brought in because of them* see FA Cup Final '89
Anyone who visited Anfield in the 70s or 80s probably had an experience scarier than going to the Den... and maybe also for games @ PR

Liverpool may well have spent money but haven't they sold before buying?
Massive may well have bought success but they've bought wisely and have produced a fine footballing team.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

An observation on 17:37 - May 12 with 3813 viewsSpruceMoose

An observation on 17:32 - May 12 by clive_baker

I think it depends on your reasons. It’s the Richard Wright factor for me.

As well as finding, from experience, that Liverpool supporters can be insufferable and it’s quite funny to see them pipped. Very good mate is also a City fan manc born & bred so nice for him.

At least Liverpool fans can say their team was winning stuff back when football meant something more than a competition to see who can spend the most money.

City aren't truly a big club. Even now they can sell their ground out.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

An observation on 17:50 - May 12 with 3754 viewsFtnfwest

An observation on 17:37 - May 12 by Pendejo

I can't speak for everyone, but, the following may be reasons why some of us in our 50s +/- 5 years may hold Liverpool in less than a kind light;-

They were the only team to be more consistent team in the league than us over a period of time
They were massively successful, yet were masters of killing off a game - the back pass rule was brought in because of them* see FA Cup Final '89
Anyone who visited Anfield in the 70s or 80s probably had an experience scarier than going to the Den... and maybe also for games @ PR

Liverpool may well have spent money but haven't they sold before buying?
Massive may well have bought success but they've bought wisely and have produced a fine footballing team.

And all your mates who never went near Anfield in their lives ‘supported’ them. Another generation went through the same thing with Man Utd, you just tend to not be that keen on whoever the dominant side was particularly in your early years.
An observation on 18:15 - May 12 with 3668 viewsFreddy

I think it has ruined football for many, not so many 3pm kick offs, affects attendances, the rich clubs get richer and the poor clubs get poorer , they are ruling the game
An observation on 18:24 - May 12 with 3627 viewspointofblue

An observation on 18:15 - May 12 by Freddy

I think it has ruined football for many, not so many 3pm kick offs, affects attendances, the rich clubs get richer and the poor clubs get poorer , they are ruling the game

It's sickening sporting-wise when you've got the likes of Bolton, Macclesfield and Bury struggling to survive day to day for want of, in footballing terms, small amounts whilst players can be bought for over £100m whilst being paid hundreds of thousands of pounds a week.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

An observation on 18:28 - May 12 with 3597 viewsHerbivore

An observation on 18:24 - May 12 by pointofblue

It's sickening sporting-wise when you've got the likes of Bolton, Macclesfield and Bury struggling to survive day to day for want of, in footballing terms, small amounts whilst players can be bought for over £100m whilst being paid hundreds of thousands of pounds a week.

Bolton who benefited from the Prem for a decade?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

An observation on 18:48 - May 12 with 3545 viewspointofblue

An observation on 18:28 - May 12 by Herbivore

Bolton who benefited from the Prem for a decade?

They've been badly mismanaged but there's enough money in the game to keep every club both afloat and competitive.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

An observation on 09:06 - May 13 with 3309 viewsJohnny_Boy

I'd also add, simply throwing money at a problem doesn't always solve said issues.
PSG - for all their money sheethousery & winning the French league at a significant canter - are still a long way off from winning the Champions League.

I do find KO times to cater for TV & not the fans a bit off. But nowadays it's usually met with a "Well don't go then, it's your choice", which is seemingly a systematic feeling fans like to defend their clubs with.
An observation on 09:13 - May 13 with 3292 viewsHeathlander

I don't think Sky has ruined football. I think it has improved it. The Premier League produces some of the best football in the world. Has some of the best players and best stadiums. It is like a drama, characters, twists and turns, some breath taking stuff played on the park. City and Liverpool have played some of the finest football I think I have ever seen. Klopp and Pep seem really likable people too.

What's not to love.
An observation on 09:29 - May 13 with 3253 viewsSlambo

An observation on 09:13 - May 13 by Heathlander

I don't think Sky has ruined football. I think it has improved it. The Premier League produces some of the best football in the world. Has some of the best players and best stadiums. It is like a drama, characters, twists and turns, some breath taking stuff played on the park. City and Liverpool have played some of the finest football I think I have ever seen. Klopp and Pep seem really likable people too.

What's not to love.

The 'best football in the world' is highly subjective. I've seen phenomenal games in a variety of different leagues and some turgid dross in the Prem. And i'm sure people were watching Wolves in the 50s, or Leeds in the 70s, or Liverpool in the 80s and saying: 'wow, surely this is the best football i'll ever see'. What's more, Liverpool and Man City are only able to play such great stuff, so consistently, because they are able to buy the best talent..! Who'd have thought a team containing David Silva, Leroy Sane, Kevin de Bruyne, Sergio Aguero et al would be soooo good, eh..! They have subsequently colluded with their fellow mega clubs to create a system where they will have an unfair advantage over everyone, in perpetuity. The PL is the greatest evil to have befallen in English football, and the sooner it's destroyed, and all 4 divisions brought back under the umbrella of the FA, who themselves would have a specific mandate to work to the benefit of ALL English football, the better...

UPPA TOWEN!
Blog: Consumer Rights

An observation on 09:34 - May 13 with 3242 viewsJohnny_Boy

An observation on 09:29 - May 13 by Slambo

The 'best football in the world' is highly subjective. I've seen phenomenal games in a variety of different leagues and some turgid dross in the Prem. And i'm sure people were watching Wolves in the 50s, or Leeds in the 70s, or Liverpool in the 80s and saying: 'wow, surely this is the best football i'll ever see'. What's more, Liverpool and Man City are only able to play such great stuff, so consistently, because they are able to buy the best talent..! Who'd have thought a team containing David Silva, Leroy Sane, Kevin de Bruyne, Sergio Aguero et al would be soooo good, eh..! They have subsequently colluded with their fellow mega clubs to create a system where they will have an unfair advantage over everyone, in perpetuity. The PL is the greatest evil to have befallen in English football, and the sooner it's destroyed, and all 4 divisions brought back under the umbrella of the FA, who themselves would have a specific mandate to work to the benefit of ALL English football, the better...

Out of curiosity, where would you place La Liga in the grand scheme of things? Spanish journalists are forever complaining it's simply not competitive enough. Personally, I think thats what makes the Premiership so entertaining.
An observation on 09:36 - May 13 with 3237 viewsPositivelyPortman

Murdoch ruined it for me.
Firstly he’s a c**t of the first order, and secondly I can’t afford Sky tv anymore.

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

An observation on 09:44 - May 13 with 3214 viewsuefacup81

An observation on 09:36 - May 13 by PositivelyPortman

Murdoch ruined it for me.
Firstly he’s a c**t of the first order, and secondly I can’t afford Sky tv anymore.

He's also a c**t because he ruined an excellent local pub which re-opened the other year.

Excellent landlord and some of the best-kept ale I've ever had, but a pi$$ poor location.

First year he compensated for this by having Sky in the pub. Second year he got a letter essentially saying 'you know your punters will go elsewhere if you get rid of Sky, so that's why we're putting your fees up by 1,000%'.

He struggled by for a fair while, but folded a couple of weeks back.

B@stards.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

An observation on 09:44 - May 13 with 3213 viewsitfcjoe

An observation on 09:29 - May 13 by Slambo

With everything that has gone on, I'd still say the Premier League is the best league in the world, and that the English football pyramid is, by far, the best league system in the world. You look at the attendances as you fall down the leagues and they are incredible - I watched Mansfield-Newport last night - a great game with 1000 Newport fans there creating a brilliant atmosphere. Then you even see this in the non leagues too, we are truly blessed.

The big clubs are miles ahead, and that is tough to take, but Leicester won a title, Watford are in the Cup FInal - it's just a lot harder for these league to be a success.

The Championship is a bit of a sh*t show financially, but the main reason for that is that the PL does distribute it's funds fairly evenly amongst it's clubs - when you look at the deals in place in other European countries they just give all the money to the big biys.

I think something needs to happen with this league, and think a PL2 or something is inevitable, but the game in this country is still great and better than nearly, if not, all other countries - we just look at it in more detail and are more critical

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

An observation on 09:54 - May 13 with 3181 viewscaught-in-limbo

An observation on 09:34 - May 13 by Johnny_Boy

Out of curiosity, where would you place La Liga in the grand scheme of things? Spanish journalists are forever complaining it's simply not competitive enough. Personally, I think thats what makes the Premiership so entertaining.

"Spanish journalists are forever complaining it's simply not competitive enough."

Journalists of the main sports dailies El Marca, Mundo Deportivo and AS are clearly fans of either Real Madrid or Barça, so complaints from them about the competitiveness of La Liga are rare in my opinion, especially considering the recent domination of both European club football competitions in recent years by Spanish clubs.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

An observation on 09:57 - May 13 with 3168 viewsbrazil1982

I'm still surprised so many people subscribe to Sky.

A lot less pubs showing it now. I used to go to the pub maybe once a month to watch a Sunday game, haven't done that in 3 seasons now.
An observation on 09:58 - May 13 with 3163 viewsitfcjoe

An observation on 09:54 - May 13 by caught-in-limbo

"Spanish journalists are forever complaining it's simply not competitive enough."

Journalists of the main sports dailies El Marca, Mundo Deportivo and AS are clearly fans of either Real Madrid or Barça, so complaints from them about the competitiveness of La Liga are rare in my opinion, especially considering the recent domination of both European club football competitions in recent years by Spanish clubs.

I think the difference here is that there are just 2 big boys in Spain, who can sweep up all the talent in the league, whereas here there are 6 that can and do do it.

That doesn't mean they will always be the best clubs, as Atletico Madrid have proven over the last few years, but that they have such an advantage they will always be there or thereabouts unless having an absolute sh*t show of a season.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

An observation on 10:00 - May 13 with 3157 viewsSwansea_Blue

An observation on 09:57 - May 13 by brazil1982

I'm still surprised so many people subscribe to Sky.

A lot less pubs showing it now. I used to go to the pub maybe once a month to watch a Sunday game, haven't done that in 3 seasons now.

And me. I don't know where people find the time to watch wall to wall footie all week. I don't regret getting rid of it a couple of years ago; only wish I'd done so much sooner.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

An observation on 10:07 - May 13 with 3145 viewsSlambo

An observation on 09:34 - May 13 by Johnny_Boy

La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A - A pox on all their houses, to be honest. Like I said, all the big clubs in Europe banded together to form an actual bloc called the G14 to lobby, coerce and outright blackmail UEFA into starting the Champions League, which in turn turned every league in Europe into a wasteland, i.e each one essentially becoming a vehicle for a domestic cartel of clubs to guarantee access to the millions CL qualification brings...

Look, if you genuinely find the PL exciting then fair enough, and it's not for me to judge. But this is the danger when a vibrant eco-system becomes a monoculture; just like we may occasionally see a different songbird in our gardens and be glad at how abundant the wildlife is, we don't remember how varied it actually once was. So we've gotten to the point where we think it's normal for every title race to be fought between the same 3-4 teams and even to be thankful that it's not just 2 or even 1...

UPPA TOWEN!

An observation on 10:09 - May 13 with 3142 viewsJohnny_Boy

An observation on 09:54 - May 13 by caught-in-limbo

And why do you think the 3 main juggernauts of Spanish football are forever doing well in European competitions? It had been a closed shop (financially) for the BIG 3 (Barca, Real Madrid & Atletico) in La Liga for a considerable amount of time.

Last year was a bit of a turning point with a very lucrative TV deal - with distribution for the lower half significantly better, but still nowhere near to the PL.
[Post edited 13 May 2019 10:12]
An observation on 10:35 - May 13 with 3083 viewscaught-in-limbo

An observation on 10:09 - May 13 by Johnny_Boy

And why do you think the 3 main juggernauts of Spanish football are forever doing well in European competitions? It had been a closed shop (financially) for the BIG 3 (Barca, Real Madrid & Atletico) in La Liga for a considerable amount of time.

Last year was a bit of a turning point with a very lucrative TV deal - with distribution for the lower half significantly better, but still nowhere near to the PL.
[Post edited 13 May 2019 10:12]

I'm not denying the reality of the situation or the fact (as you point out) that distribution of TV money has been heavily weighted towards Barça and Real. I'm just saying that I haven't heard "Spanish journalists forever complaining about the league not being competitive enough."

All the journalists of the main sports dailies are Real or Barça fans - they've got little to complain about.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

An observation on 10:36 - May 13 with 3072 viewsSlambo

An observation on 09:44 - May 13 by itfcjoe

With everything that has gone on, I'd still say the Premier League is the best league in the world, and that the English football pyramid is, by far, the best league system in the world. You look at the attendances as you fall down the leagues and they are incredible - I watched Mansfield-Newport last night - a great game with 1000 Newport fans there creating a brilliant atmosphere. Then you even see this in the non leagues too, we are truly blessed.

The big clubs are miles ahead, and that is tough to take, but Leicester won a title, Watford are in the Cup FInal - it's just a lot harder for these league to be a success.

The Championship is a bit of a sh*t show financially, but the main reason for that is that the PL does distribute it's funds fairly evenly amongst it's clubs - when you look at the deals in place in other European countries they just give all the money to the big biys.

I think something needs to happen with this league, and think a PL2 or something is inevitable, but the game in this country is still great and better than nearly, if not, all other countries - we just look at it in more detail and are more critical

Isn't it tragic thought that a league that distributes something like 5% of its revenue to the lower leagues, that railroaded through EPPP and that even as we speak is forcing through measures to funnel foreign tv revenue into the hands of a few, has somehow spun an image of itself as the fairest, most equitable league in Europe..?! The only defense I can give of the PL is that it simply operates in the anarcho-capitalist paradigm of wider human civilization. The PL is simply a direct mirroring of Britain today. Yes, a few thousand Newport fans made a great atmosphere the other day (albeit for a playoff game), and what makes English football so alluring are the small clubs. But Newport's future is only ever going to be about a precarious, semi-existence, or at best utter irrelevance...

Leicester's league title win is literally the only exciting season in the entire PL era and the cartel at the top of the league will subtly introduce changes to make something like that impossible to do in the future; Watford are in an FA cup final, true, but in 1983 they came second in the league...

The genius of any aristocracy is convincing everyone that is the natural order, or even that you should be grateful for it. I don't buy it...

UPPA TOWEN!

An observation on 10:46 - May 13 with 3057 viewsDarth_Koont

An observation on 10:07 - May 13 by Slambo

La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A - A pox on all their houses, to be honest. Like I said, all the big clubs in Europe banded together to form an actual bloc called the G14 to lobby, coerce and outright blackmail UEFA into starting the Champions League, which in turn turned every league in Europe into a wasteland, i.e each one essentially becoming a vehicle for a domestic cartel of clubs to guarantee access to the millions CL qualification brings...

Look, if you genuinely find the PL exciting then fair enough, and it's not for me to judge. But this is the danger when a vibrant eco-system becomes a monoculture; just like we may occasionally see a different songbird in our gardens and be glad at how abundant the wildlife is, we don't remember how varied it actually once was. So we've gotten to the point where we think it's normal for every title race to be fought between the same 3-4 teams and even to be thankful that it's not just 2 or even 1...

Good post.

Pronouns: He/Him

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024