Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Did anyone here... 16:26 - May 20 with 12448 viewschicoazul

grow up in a rich family?

Talking 4 holidays a year including skiing, every Sunday at Le Talbooth, privately educated type thing.

What was it like?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Did anyone here... on 09:57 - May 21 with 1332 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Not me but my a lot of what you describe applies to my wife, who went to Amberfield (her choice over Ipswich School), had regular trips to the States and skied regularly as parents owned a chalet in the Alps. As others have said though - their wealth pales in comparison to the truly rich

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Did anyone here... on 10:04 - May 21 with 1301 viewschicoazul

Did anyone here... on 08:26 - May 21 by SomethingBlue

I went to Ipswich School but there were far better-off families than ours lording it up around there, and I've come to learn it was relatively small fry in the public school game.

LIved next door to the Ramseys, went to Ipswich School, now works in the meeeja...you're as posh as they come boyo!

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Did anyone here... on 10:06 - May 21 with 1287 viewsReuser_is_God

Did anyone here... on 09:57 - May 21 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Not me but my a lot of what you describe applies to my wife, who went to Amberfield (her choice over Ipswich School), had regular trips to the States and skied regularly as parents owned a chalet in the Alps. As others have said though - their wealth pales in comparison to the truly rich

Amberfield you say?

I bet she's absolute filth.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Did anyone here... on 10:06 - May 21 with 1289 viewsHeathlander

We had a swimming pool :)

My Dad was the first pawnbroker in Ipswich for decades. He and his business partner featured on Look East when they opened it. He also owned a MACE shop / off licence. He was working class and worked hard for all he had.

We used to holiday in Cornwall once a year. We used to go to Watergate Bay Hotel before it got all Jamie Oliver.

We lived above the shop for years. All the staff used to bring their kids during the school holidays so we always had people to play with. An unusal upbringing but a great one.
Did anyone here... on 10:09 - May 21 with 1262 viewsHerbivore

Did anyone here... on 09:57 - May 21 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

It's always good to marry upwards.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Did anyone here... on 10:12 - May 21 with 1253 viewsSomethingBlue

Did anyone here... on 10:04 - May 21 by chicoazul

LIved next door to the Ramseys, went to Ipswich School, now works in the meeeja...you're as posh as they come boyo!

Hey, I didn't live next door to the Ramseys, my friend did!

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Did anyone here... on 10:12 - May 21 with 1252 viewsReuser_is_God

I wouldn't say rich but I did go on 2 holidays most years, always had season tickets & never missed out on any sports clubs.

Was very lucky.

Evans out

Did anyone here... on 10:14 - May 21 with 1245 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Did anyone here... on 10:06 - May 21 by Reuser_is_God

Amberfield you say?

I bet she's absolute filth.

Wouldn’t know, we’re married. Ask the milkman

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Login to get fewer ads

Did anyone here... on 10:17 - May 21 with 1223 viewsgiant_stow

Did anyone here... on 10:14 - May 21 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Did anyone here... on 10:25 - May 21 with 1196 viewschicoazul

Did anyone here... on 10:12 - May 21 by Reuser_is_God

I wouldn't say rich but I did go on 2 holidays most years, always had season tickets & never missed out on any sports clubs.

Was very lucky.

That's definitely rich.

Did anyone here... on 10:31 - May 21 with 1176 viewsReuser_is_God

Did anyone here... on 10:25 - May 21 by chicoazul

That's definitely rich.

I don't think it is.

Parents were just good with their money when I was younger.

Evans out

Did anyone here... on 10:32 - May 21 with 1173 viewsfooters

Did anyone here... on 10:25 - May 21 by chicoazul

That's definitely rich.

Why the interest in this subject, luv? Have you been reading Horse & Hound or something?

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Did anyone here... on 10:44 - May 21 with 1138 viewsNo9

Shouldn't that question be for Glasgow Blue?
Did anyone here... on 10:52 - May 21 with 1121 viewsReuser_is_God

Did anyone here... on 10:14 - May 21 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I've always wondered about that milkman joke.

Is it a myth? Or did loads of milkmen used to get their end away with stay at home wives multiple times per round?
[Post edited 21 May 2019 10:53]

Evans out

Did anyone here... on 10:56 - May 21 with 1111 viewsfooters

Did anyone here... on 10:52 - May 21 by Reuser_is_God

Is it a myth? Or did loads of milkmen used to get their end away with stay at home wives multiple times per round?

Did anyone here... on 11:14 - May 21 with 1081 viewsWallingford_Boy

No, but my kids are growing up in that environment..

RIP Sir Bobby

Did anyone here... on 11:20 - May 21 with 1061 viewsbluejake78

Did anyone here... on 08:16 - May 21 by chicoazul

Excellent. How has being privately educated helped you in life?

It isn't just the education,it is the people you mix with and contacts available.
Did anyone here... on 11:26 - May 21 with 1049 viewsITFC_Forever

Part of 70s folklore.... postmen, milkmen, plumbers, electricians - basically anyone who would visit the home while the man of the house was at work and there was a bored housewife that wanted some entertainment.

Back then, alot less ladies went to work and instead fulfilled the housewife role.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Did anyone here... on 11:40 - May 21 with 1027 viewsPJH

Did anyone here... on 21:29 - May 20 by IpswichKnight

Very middle class here.

Private school education, grew up in South East London/North West Kent border. Both my parents worked in the NHS. Parents did buy a weekend house in Suffolk after I left home. They sold that and the house I grew up in for a huge place in Woodbridge to retire too.

I have also retired in Woodbridge but then I have lived here all of my life.

I went to Woodbridge School when it was boys only but not because of being rich (we certainly were not)but because I passed the eleven plus(11+?)and then the entrance exam for Woodbridge School.
I would have had a much happier time if I had gone to Farlingaye School.
Did anyone here... on 12:08 - May 21 with 984 viewsDubtractor

Not me.

Very frugal upbringing, in a bought council house. Lots of second had clothes and toys, though plenty of new stuff too. 1 UK holiday a year.

Our parents did an all round top job with very limited resources all told.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Did anyone here... on 12:11 - May 21 with 970 viewsRyorry

Strange topic, but no - although suffered quite a lot from the prejudice of people who mistakenly thought I did because I spoke with a "good" accent & parents had big house with 5 acres.

Parents both first generation refugees who came over with virtually nothing. Dad built up his own business but went bankrupt, twice (once due to being shafted by Robert Maxwell!). He then twice re-built it, paid all creditors back in full, whereupon the bank then looked on him more kindly & he was able to buy a nice detached country house in Surrey quite cheap (it was something like £5K!). Mum was very good at managing on a shoestring, and our main meal was often boiled bones with barley, though I did of course get good lunches at school.

Eventually we did get to have holidays abroad, but only 1 a year, if that!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Did anyone here... on 12:16 - May 21 with 952 viewsHerbivore

Did anyone here... on 12:11 - May 21 by Ryorry

Strange topic, but no - although suffered quite a lot from the prejudice of people who mistakenly thought I did because I spoke with a "good" accent & parents had big house with 5 acres.

Parents both first generation refugees who came over with virtually nothing. Dad built up his own business but went bankrupt, twice (once due to being shafted by Robert Maxwell!). He then twice re-built it, paid all creditors back in full, whereupon the bank then looked on him more kindly & he was able to buy a nice detached country house in Surrey quite cheap (it was something like £5K!). Mum was very good at managing on a shoestring, and our main meal was often boiled bones with barley, though I did of course get good lunches at school.

Did they have air travel back then?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Did anyone here... on 12:18 - May 21 with 949 viewsBiGDonnie

Suppose it depends what type of milk they left at the property.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Did anyone here... on 12:19 - May 21 with 947 viewsfooters

Did anyone here... on 12:16 - May 21 by Herbivore

Did they have air travel back then?

That's why she only went once a year... triremes take a long time to cross the seas.

Did anyone here... on 12:24 - May 21 with 935 viewschicoazul

Did anyone here... on 12:11 - May 21 by Ryorry

Ahahahaah you suffered from "prejudice" because your parents had 5 acres ahahahahah my heart bleeds.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024