Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" 10:04 - Jul 8 with 10551 viewsMaySixth

quote : Paul Lambert, July 8th 2019

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 11:09 - Jul 8 with 3097 viewsHerbivore

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 10:13 - Jul 8 by artsbossbeard

It's a fair point surely.

What have people seen in the last season to suggest that we're in a position where we could be mentioned as a top 6 team?

I've seen some games involving top 6 sides in League 1.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 11:11 - Jul 8 with 3097 viewsDarth_Koont

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 10:19 - Jul 8 by footers

I thought McCarthyism died out sometime last century?

No comment.

Pronouns: He/Him

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 11:17 - Jul 8 with 3083 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Exactly what many people on this board have said.

To be fair, although we were crap last season, whether we like it or not we will be measured by others on;

- Wage bill.
- Cost of squad assembly.

I suspect both are in the Top 6 when looking at League 1.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 11:34 - Jul 8 with 3053 viewsSamWhiteUK

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 10:13 - Jul 8 by artsbossbeard

It's a fair point surely.

What have people seen in the last season to suggest that we're in a position where we could be mentioned as a top 6 team?

The fact that we're in a different, lower league this time around... that seems pretty obvious to me
"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 11:39 - Jul 8 with 3041 viewsDarth_Koont

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 11:34 - Jul 8 by SamWhiteUK

The fact that we're in a different, lower league this time around... that seems pretty obvious to me

Sure but that doesn't translate in the Championship where the Premier clubs coming down always have an even bigger financial and player value advantage over the opposition.

In reality, a poor team in the Premier needs to turn things around to stop being a mid-table Champ side. That also seems to play out with sides being relegated to League One.

There's no reason we can't be top 6 but there's no reason we automatically will be either. We're going to have to see how this pans out and whether Lambert and the team can develop some structure, results, confidence and momentum to last a whole season.

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 11:56 - Jul 8 with 3017 viewsHerbivore

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 11:39 - Jul 8 by Darth_Koont

Sure but that doesn't translate in the Championship where the Premier clubs coming down always have an even bigger financial and player value advantage over the opposition.

In reality, a poor team in the Premier needs to turn things around to stop being a mid-table Champ side. That also seems to play out with sides being relegated to League One.

There's no reason we can't be top 6 but there's no reason we automatically will be either. We're going to have to see how this pans out and whether Lambert and the team can develop some structure, results, confidence and momentum to last a whole season.

I don't think the drop to League 1 is comparable to the drop to the Championship these days. 5 of the last 6 relegated sides have finished top 6 in League 1 the following season and the other finished 9th. That other side was Burton who are arguably punching above their weight by even being in League 1.

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 12:07 - Jul 8 with 3006 viewsPinewoodblue

Were we not optimistic 12 months ago that a corner had been turned?

It is normal for fans to be optimistic at the start of a new season, sadly last year was the first time for several years many had felt that way.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 12:22 - Jul 8 with 2976 viewsITFC_Forever

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 11:56 - Jul 8 by Herbivore

I don't think the drop to League 1 is comparable to the drop to the Championship these days. 5 of the last 6 relegated sides have finished top 6 in League 1 the following season and the other finished 9th. That other side was Burton who are arguably punching above their weight by even being in League 1.

Here's hoping...

Certainly, as a club relegated by such a distance last season, you can see why fans of that club are worried about the coming season... feels very similar to the summer of 1995 in that respect.

P 1125, W 501, D 288, L 336, F 1709, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Login to get fewer ads

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 12:29 - Jul 8 with 2967 viewspointofblue

Has anybody who agrees with Lambert looked at the other squads in this division? Even as it stands now it's one of the strongest, particularly in midfield. Bring in a left back who can play centre back (or vice versa) plus Keane and the defence and attack will be one of the highest rated too.

If we fail to make the top six, in my opinion, it'll be down to managerial incompetence rather than squad strength unless we're exceptionally unlucky with injuries. Which six clubs do we expect to finish above us - Sunderland, Portsmouth, Peterborough, perhaps Rotherham, Coventry...?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 12:30 - Jul 8 with 2965 viewsitfcjoe

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 11:56 - Jul 8 by Herbivore

Realistically a relegated club shouldn't finjish outside the top 10 in this league, the level below that is so poor - unless obvious extenuating circumstances like club being in meltdown financially and shedding players, or a team that were previously punnching well above weight like a Burton.

We have come down as a very stable club in reality, the frustration is that in all that stability Lambert hasn't managed to get it close to right on the pitch in his 6-7 months.

Equally frsutrating is that we have had a load of money fall into our laps in reality with Mings and Clarke deals - Mings was probably looking at being released by Bournemouth before his spell to Villa - and we likely won't use that to really pack our squad qith a bit of quality in it's weak areas.

You then look at what Evans did in January - for any criticism a lot of money was chucked at players - we blew Rotherham out of the water on Quaner deal and were spending approx £15-20k a week, Keane a similar amount. James Bree wouldn't have been cheap and similarly Alan Judge. Collins, etc. All that money was spent trying to keep us in that league from an almost impossible position.

Now we just need to chuck £4-5k a week at a couple of players, to try and get into that league from a strong position and Evans seems more reluctant to pull that trigger.

We must have invested the best part of £2m in half a season to try and stay up on temporary measures, and now we have the chance to invest more permanently - should be a no brainer

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 12:45 - Jul 8 with 2938 viewsHerbivore

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 12:30 - Jul 8 by itfcjoe

Realistically a relegated club shouldn't finjish outside the top 10 in this league, the level below that is so poor - unless obvious extenuating circumstances like club being in meltdown financially and shedding players, or a team that were previously punnching well above weight like a Burton.

We have come down as a very stable club in reality, the frustration is that in all that stability Lambert hasn't managed to get it close to right on the pitch in his 6-7 months.

Equally frsutrating is that we have had a load of money fall into our laps in reality with Mings and Clarke deals - Mings was probably looking at being released by Bournemouth before his spell to Villa - and we likely won't use that to really pack our squad qith a bit of quality in it's weak areas.

You then look at what Evans did in January - for any criticism a lot of money was chucked at players - we blew Rotherham out of the water on Quaner deal and were spending approx £15-20k a week, Keane a similar amount. James Bree wouldn't have been cheap and similarly Alan Judge. Collins, etc. All that money was spent trying to keep us in that league from an almost impossible position.

Now we just need to chuck £4-5k a week at a couple of players, to try and get into that league from a strong position and Evans seems more reluctant to pull that trigger.

We must have invested the best part of £2m in half a season to try and stay up on temporary measures, and now we have the chance to invest more permanently - should be a no brainer

I know I keep saying it but we are only a week into July so for me it's too early to panic about a lack of signings. We need another 2 or 3 bodies I think to help balance the squad and give us a bit more depth and quality. I don't think that's unachievable between now and the end of the transfer window.

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 12:47 - Jul 8 with 2934 viewsHerbivore

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 12:22 - Jul 8 by ITFC_Forever

Here's hoping...

Certainly, as a club relegated by such a distance last season, you can see why fans of that club are worried about the coming season... feels very similar to the summer of 1995 in that respect.

Rotherham and Bolton went down by similarly embarrassing margins and both went straight back up. I don't really get why many people seem to think we're going to be worse than most other relegated sides, especially when in many respects we're in better shape than quite a few of those sides were.

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 13:03 - Jul 8 with 2910 views26_Paz

If we don't finish the season in the top 6 then Lambert will (quite rightly) not be here at the end of it ...

The Paz Man

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 13:04 - Jul 8 with 2904 viewsMaySixth

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 11:07 - Jul 8 by tpsontour

We were relegated as one of the worst teams in Championship history, winning 5 games out of 48. From that squad, 14 players have left. Norwood and two keepers have arrived. The defence, which did not keep a single away clean sheet all season, is unchanged apart from Woolfenden's return from a loan. As it stands, I would say a play-off place is the limit of our ambitions and how we get on in a tricky set of opening fixtures could set the tone for the whole season.

Lambert will be under huge pressure early on in the season.

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 13:37 - Jul 8 with 2856 viewsstonojnr

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 13:03 - Jul 8 by 26_Paz

If we don't finish the season in the top 6 then Lambert will (quite rightly) not be here at the end of it ...

Quite right too, top6 ought to be the minimum targeted ambition this season

you can sit there and say yeah it wont happen automatically just because we are Ipswich,who we are doesnt get you points on the board,weve got to work hard,win games again,get a consecutive win run going etc all those things and only then will the table start to look good, but to phrase it just as almost yeah top 6 dont expect it with none of those qualifiers...I mean theres managing expectations,which in itself isn't a bad thing and theres virtually declaring defeat before a single ball is kicked.

Town cant afford,literally, to spend too long in league 1,it has to be the priority and aim to get promoted this season
"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 13:37 - Jul 8 with 2857 viewsartsbossbeard

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 11:34 - Jul 8 by SamWhiteUK

Seems rather arrogant an assumption based upon last years endeavours and arguably a more weaker back line.

I'll bow down to your insight though.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 13:55 - Jul 8 with 2820 viewsROKERITE

Because of the vastly improved form shown over the last ten weeks or so of the season, once Lambert had begun to have an effect on things.
"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 14:05 - Jul 8 with 2788 viewsDarth_Koont

Fair enough.

But I'd still argue you need to get things right in League One and a top 6 finish shouldn't be a foregone conclusion just because of our relative spending and player quality. I guess we'll see if we're a club ready to bounce back or whether we're a Charlton or Doncaster that still hasn't bottomed out yet.

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 14:09 - Jul 8 with 2779 viewsHerbivore

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 14:05 - Jul 8 by Darth_Koont

Fair enough.

But I'd still argue you need to get things right in League One and a top 6 finish shouldn't be a foregone conclusion just because of our relative spending and player quality. I guess we'll see if we're a club ready to bounce back or whether we're a Charlton or Doncaster that still hasn't bottomed out yet.

I'm not saying it's a forgone conclusion, but based on recent history of sides coming down the top 6 should be a reasonable expectation for us. We're far less of a mess than many other sides who have come down from the Championship. Charlton were, and indeed are, a bit of a mess of a club and even they have managed to now bounce back after 3 years down in League 1.

Genuinely don't know.... on 14:12 - Jul 8 with 2768 viewsBloots

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 13:55 - Jul 8 by ROKERITE

Because of the vastly improved form shown over the last ten weeks or so of the season, once Lambert had begun to have an effect on things.

….if you're being serious.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Genuinely don't know.... on 14:12 - Jul 8 with 2764 viewsartsbossbeard

Genuinely don't know.... on 14:12 - Jul 8 by Bloots

….if you're being serious.

I'm hoping it's not.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

(No subject) on 14:20 - Jul 8 with 2746 viewsBlueBadger

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 13:55 - Jul 8 by ROKERITE

Ah yes, that point where we started ineffectually tippy-tapping it around in midfield for 20 minutes before losing as opposed to simply losing?
[Post edited 8 Jul 2019 14:30]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 14:21 - Jul 8 with 2742 viewsBlueBadger

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 13:04 - Jul 8 by MaySixth

Lambert will be under huge pressure early on in the season.

I feel a bit sorry for him, he's not even invited this pressure, given the evidence of his tenure so far.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

(No subject) on 14:31 - Jul 8 with 2729 viewsBlueinBrum

(No subject) on 10:58 - Jul 8 by ITFC_Forever

Ah yes, knew I'd forget a couple.

And QPR and Cardiff as well.
[Post edited 8 Jul 2019 10:58]

And sheff Utd
"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 14:47 - Jul 8 with 2703 viewsDarth_Koont

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 14:09 - Jul 8 by Herbivore

I'm not saying it's a forgone conclusion, but based on recent history of sides coming down the top 6 should be a reasonable expectation for us. We're far less of a mess than many other sides who have come down from the Championship. Charlton were, and indeed are, a bit of a mess of a club and even they have managed to now bounce back after 3 years down in League 1.

I'm not so sure we're fine either like Charlton. We've got a team of players with an awful lot to prove on an individual level (either as youngsters or players who have had a struggle at Ipswich), a manager who did remarkably well to avoid criticism for his lack of results, and a tough start.

All in all, I think we're still in a pretty fragile state and it's the optimism of expectations for next year that is masking that. I'll give them time as I think they may need it — but not so sure how much time others will give.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024