Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Parking Fines - Private Company 08:59 - Jul 22 with 6878 viewsSitfcB

Anyone ever had one before/had experience of one?

As it’s not local authority they aren’t legal fines, so I’ve read.

We ignored the first one, my choice [EDIT: First one wasn’t ignored, she appealed ]But now they’ve sent a second letter for £140 (Original £60) and threatening further action/bailiffs etc if we don’t pay.

Should we carry on ignoring or pay up? Have read online that many private firms don’t bother chasing but could call our bluff and take us to court.

We waited in a ‘car park’ for around 15 mins,it was empty as well, only small, 10/15 or so spaces, in Southampton as there was no where else to go to wait for the ferry waiting area to clear, there were no machines to buy a ticket from and it’s strange because we had two cars but only one got a fine 🤷🏻‍♂️
[Post edited 22 Jul 2019 10:47]

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Parking Fines - Private Company on 09:44 - Jul 22 with 4887 viewsLeoMuff

They are total scammers, but the choices are to appeal, which isn’t an option now, ignore which means you could end up in court or pay.

The chances of court are slim but possible. I have ignored some which went away, but do some research online as some companies are more likely to go down the court route than others.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Parking Fines - Private Company on 09:46 - Jul 22 with 4883 viewsJambo

Hi Sitters,

Which company is it from?

Parking Eye?

If you go onto Pepipoo - the parking ticket forum , there is a wealth of advise on there.

I've had them in the past and have ignored them - they will go to all sorts of lengths to try and get you to pay.

And then they will stop.
Parking Fines - Private Company on 09:54 - Jul 22 with 4856 viewsElephantintheRoom

You might be in for a nasty shock. A number of car parks are now run by outside contractors or property companies. They can be quite aggressive about chasing perceived debts - and may eventually sell your debt on to a debt collector The key thing is to appeal. I had a similar problem with British Land who administered the car park at the beehive centre in Cambridge - which have strict time limits even though there is a café and numerous shops and supermarkets on the site now which make it impossible to go shopping in two or three shops on the site at busy periods within those time limits. They gave in eventually - a good tactic is to claim a disabled passenger was involved. IF you or a passenger are disabled - and it only needs to be temporary, then you can park more or less anywhere. As with all these things your name may be passed on to the credit reference agencies too - even though you could be in the right. One final word of advice - use the tunnel. I couldn't even get into the terminal at Calais a couple of weeks ago but they had a well rehearsed traffic management system to maroon you in a barbed wire compound with a few thousand other people - and was still able to catch my allotted train more or less on time.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Parking Fines - Private Company on 09:54 - Jul 22 with 4856 viewsSitfcB

Parking Fines - Private Company on 09:44 - Jul 22 by LeoMuff

They are total scammers, but the choices are to appeal, which isn’t an option now, ignore which means you could end up in court or pay.

The chances of court are slim but possible. I have ignored some which went away, but do some research online as some companies are more likely to go down the court route than others.

We appealed, stating that our 16 month old was travel sick and we needed somewhere to sort him out, appeal rejected.

Incident occurred back in April.

COYB

Parking Fines - Private Company on 09:57 - Jul 22 with 4833 viewsSitfcB

Parking Fines - Private Company on 09:54 - Jul 22 by ElephantintheRoom

You might be in for a nasty shock. A number of car parks are now run by outside contractors or property companies. They can be quite aggressive about chasing perceived debts - and may eventually sell your debt on to a debt collector The key thing is to appeal. I had a similar problem with British Land who administered the car park at the beehive centre in Cambridge - which have strict time limits even though there is a café and numerous shops and supermarkets on the site now which make it impossible to go shopping in two or three shops on the site at busy periods within those time limits. They gave in eventually - a good tactic is to claim a disabled passenger was involved. IF you or a passenger are disabled - and it only needs to be temporary, then you can park more or less anywhere. As with all these things your name may be passed on to the credit reference agencies too - even though you could be in the right. One final word of advice - use the tunnel. I couldn't even get into the terminal at Calais a couple of weeks ago but they had a well rehearsed traffic management system to maroon you in a barbed wire compound with a few thousand other people - and was still able to catch my allotted train more or less on time.

Thanks for that. Yeah it seems to be an outside company. The letter warns about the credit references etc and getting a debt collector involved.

There’s no tunnel to the Isle Of Wight

COYB

Parking Fines - Private Company on 09:59 - Jul 22 with 4810 viewsSitfcB

Parking Fines - Private Company on 09:46 - Jul 22 by Jambo

Hi Sitters,

Which company is it from?

Parking Eye?

If you go onto Pepipoo - the parking ticket forum , there is a wealth of advise on there.

I've had them in the past and have ignored them - they will go to all sorts of lengths to try and get you to pay.

And then they will stop.

It’s not parking eye, it’s some company registered in Southampton, letter is at home. I haven’t even seen it haha as it’s in my girlfriends name.

I want to carry on ignoring it but she’s wanting to pay.

COYB

Parking Fines - Private Company on 10:02 - Jul 22 with 4789 viewsitfcpaul

can you pm me and I will give you some info

Poll: Who would you want as Ipswich manager in November. there aren't many candidates

Parking Fines - Private Company on 10:08 - Jul 22 with 4776 viewsElephantintheRoom

Parking Fines - Private Company on 09:57 - Jul 22 by SitfcB

Thanks for that. Yeah it seems to be an outside company. The letter warns about the credit references etc and getting a debt collector involved.

There’s no tunnel to the Isle Of Wight

Hah - OK... I was assuming the joys of a long distance drive compared to a long distance ferry. You might be well served by appealing to the ferry operator if they don't have enough parking area for their service at busy periods - which seems to be the case. Good luck.

I'm currently failing to persuade Cambridge Council that driving down station road to drop my sister off at the rail station in Cambridge is not a sin not worthy of a £60 fine - but they don't seem to agree with that viewpoint. In their defence there does seem to be a very large sign which I missed - but its been the way to the station for my entire life and is still called station road. Maybe we should compare fines in a few weeks time?

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Login to get fewer ads

Parking Fines - Private Company on 10:09 - Jul 22 with 4773 viewsBlueNomad

I got hit at Marks Tey railway station where I tried to pay on my account using the parking company's website but it kept dipping out. Tried twice to phone them on the train and got as far as the last part of paying when it cut out again. Wasn't sure if it had gone through. Returned later that night to find a ticket. Appeal rejected.

I then ignored demands and eventually got a series of letters from WRIGHT HASSALL Solicitors (get it?). I ignored them too and they went away.
Parking Fines - Private Company on 10:11 - Jul 22 with 4755 viewsSitfcB

Parking Fines - Private Company on 10:08 - Jul 22 by ElephantintheRoom

Hah - OK... I was assuming the joys of a long distance drive compared to a long distance ferry. You might be well served by appealing to the ferry operator if they don't have enough parking area for their service at busy periods - which seems to be the case. Good luck.

I'm currently failing to persuade Cambridge Council that driving down station road to drop my sister off at the rail station in Cambridge is not a sin not worthy of a £60 fine - but they don't seem to agree with that viewpoint. In their defence there does seem to be a very large sign which I missed - but its been the way to the station for my entire life and is still called station road. Maybe we should compare fines in a few weeks time?

Yes that might be an option actually, thanks.

Yeah they’ve changed all the roads around the station haven’t they, buses and taxis only isn’t it?

Reconvene soon to compare outcomes

COYB

Parking Fines - Private Company on 10:14 - Jul 22 with 4737 viewsitfcjoe

Just ignore it, they'll give up - they try to frighten people into paying by talking about baliffs etc.

My Mrs wanted to pay one too, as was worried - nothing will come of it.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Parking Fines - Private Company on 10:17 - Jul 22 with 4720 viewsSitfcB

Parking Fines - Private Company on 10:14 - Jul 22 by itfcjoe

Just ignore it, they'll give up - they try to frighten people into paying by talking about baliffs etc.

Yeah that’s what I said to her after remembering I read something online ages ago about the private firms basically being scammers.

COYB

Parking Fines - Private Company on 10:18 - Jul 22 with 4704 viewsRadlett_blue

Parking Fines - Private Company on 09:54 - Jul 22 by ElephantintheRoom

I don't agree with appealing unless you have VERY strong grounds as IMO once you appeal, you have engaged with the ghastly parking company & they think you are on the hook. They generally use the bullying tactic by increasing the charge if you don't pay quickly & then all the usual threats of legal action. That means that many people do pay up & sending out their automated letters has next to zero cost. Initiating legal action over a small charge is a different game.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Parking Fines - Private Company on 10:20 - Jul 22 with 4684 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Is there a legal definition of 'parking'.

If you were in the car, and the engine was running while you waited..... is the car parked?

Or does it need to have the ignition turned off, empty of people and locked to be considered 'parked'?

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Parking Fines - Private Company on 10:24 - Jul 22 with 4658 viewssouthnorfolkblue

You can always call their bluff and do nothing. If they sue you you can just pay up at that point- you’ll just incur a small court fee and a bit of interest on top of the debt. All this stuff about bailiffs is scaremongering because they need a court judgment first.

If you get sued you should probably just pay up, unless you can demonstrate that there were no signs visible. There were various cases about the enforceability of these charges but they are likely to be upheld - if you google “parking eye case” you’ll hopefully get the info you need

Poll: Our final position

Parking Fines - Private Company on 10:35 - Jul 22 with 4634 viewsPinewoodblue

Parking Fines - Private Company on 10:14 - Jul 22 by itfcjoe

Would agree if it had been ignored but sitters didn't ignore he lodged an appeal. There is now a bigger risk they will follow it up.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Parking Fines - Private Company on 11:44 - Jul 22 with 4543 viewsPendejo

When you appeal the fine is held at the lower level, so if they rejected and upped the fine then they are chancers.

They can't use a bailiff (as opposed to debt collector) until they've taken you to court, at which point you'd be able to present a defence. I haven't read all replies and my legal knowledge on this matter is not current, however, from experience if you cite the child illness, point out the fine had no relation to potential loss of revenue for time in the space, oh and they didn't respect the normal rules of appeal it could go very wrong for them.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Parking Fines - Private Company on 11:44 - Jul 22 with 4542 viewsitfc_bucks

Parking Fines - Private Company on 10:35 - Jul 22 by Pinewoodblue

Would agree if it had been ignored but sitters didn't ignore he lodged an appeal. There is now a bigger risk they will follow it up.

Ignore hasn't been best advice on this subject for more than three years.

People who persist in recommending this are just peddling ignorance.
Parking Fines - Private Company on 13:10 - Jul 22 with 4459 viewsMrTown

I had a couple earlier in the year. They were completely in the wrong. I had permit pass, but a courtesy car at the time, the number plates didn’t match obviously but I left note explaining this in the window, they gave me one regardless.

So I’ve been ignoring them, happy to go to court over it.

Haven’t heard from them in months now.

They often send letters stating they are from a debt recovery team after a while. After some digging I noticed the company was still owned by the original parking company just set up in a different name.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Parking Fines - Private Company on 13:12 - Jul 22 with 4448 viewsitfcjoe

Parking Fines - Private Company on 11:44 - Jul 22 by itfc_bucks

Ignore hasn't been best advice on this subject for more than three years.

People who persist in recommending this are just peddling ignorance.

Enlighten us then

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Parking Fines - Private Company on 13:17 - Jul 22 with 4430 viewsJ2BLUE

Google the name of the company. There's usually something on MSE about it. My dad got one and they said to ignore it but on balance he did eventually pay.

I think I asked on here as well but the thread will have been archived.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Parking Fines - Private Company on 13:21 - Jul 22 with 4410 viewsPlums

Yep, it’s not a fine it’s an invoice dressed up as a ticket. There’s lots of advice around on these. I wouldn’t pay but my other half would be panicked into doing so!

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Parking Fines - Private Company on 13:32 - Jul 22 with 4388 viewsmrshallisfit

Ignore. No legal basis. Complete shysters. The unacceptable face of capitalism.
Parking Fines - Private Company on 13:42 - Jul 22 with 4358 viewsElderGrizzly

Read this, then decide. Saying all are ‘illegal’ is wrong

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/private-parking-tickets/
Picture of the letter on 14:01 - Jul 22 with 4336 viewsSitfcB

Picture of the letter

[Post edited 22 Jul 2019 14:03]

COYB

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024