Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cambridge residents.... 13:10 - Jul 24 with 4109 viewsitfcjoe

.....advice please for Saturday's friendly

I'm going to come up to Cambridge with wife and 2 boys, do a spot of shopping, have a bit of lunch and then me (and most likely my eldest) will head off to watch the football whilst Mrs itfcjoe and my youngest do something else.

Logistically what is best way to do this - I once parked in a city centre car park and got charged £17 for parking for about 4 hours.

I don't know the city, and where town centre is in relation to football ground so where best to park. Last time I went I did Park and Ride which was fine for the shopping etc.

Any advice gratefully received to make my day easier

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Cambridge residents.... on 13:17 - Jul 24 with 3729 viewswkj

Check for people who lease out parking on properties, a fair number of people in Cambridge work at the Science Park and have weekday homes, going home on weekends leaving parking available in driveways and the sort.
[Post edited 24 Jul 2019 13:17]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Cambridge residents.... on 13:18 - Jul 24 with 3718 viewsSikamikanico

Used to work in Cambridge. The ground is off Newmarket Road so the Newmarket Road park and ride might be your best shout.

The ground is about a 20-25 minute walk from the Grafton Centre and the shops around there.

Kids go free (age dependent I assume- never had to use it!) for each fare paying adult. Adumt tickets are £3 each and its hop on hop off. Free parking for less than 18 hours
Cambridge residents.... on 13:22 - Jul 24 with 3703 viewsFenoit

Football ground is just off Newmarket Road on the way in to Cambridge (first junction for Cambridge off of the A14)

When I go to Cambridge for shopping, I tend to use the Queen Anne car park - it is at the end of Newmarket road, near Ruskin University. It's reasonably priced and not to far to walk to the town centre

There is also a Park and Ride on Newmarket Road near the airport/Marshall's. This is an option, though I personally never use it.
Cambridge residents.... on 13:24 - Jul 24 with 3691 viewswkj

Parking

There is no on-site car parking available at the Abbey Stadium, we would advise using the match day park and ride service.

Park and Ride

On days when the U’s play at home, both home and away supporters will be able to purchase a special £2.50 return ticket from the Newmarket Road Park & Ride (CB5 8AA) to ferry them to and from the Abbey Stadium.

The ticket is valid for one passenger only. However, if travelling with children, the normal £3 Park & Ride ticket is also available to purchase, allowing children under the age of 16 to travel free with one fee-paying adult.

Ahead of the 3pm kick-off, football fans can catch any of the regular Park & Ride buses heading into the city centre, which will all be stopping at the ground. On the return leg, there will be a dedicated bus waiting in the layby outside the stadium at 4.45pm, to take fans back to the Park & Ride once the game is over.

If you require disabled parking please call the Club on 01223 566 500.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Cambridge residents.... on 13:25 - Jul 24 with 3679 viewsElderGrizzly

Park and Ride (Newmarket Road site) is your best bet.

City Centre is nowhere near the ground and the Park and Ride bus from that site stops outside the ground on its way to/from city centre. It’s also the closest site to the A14 from Ipswich

Parking for over 5 hours is now something like £30.
Cambridge residents.... on 13:42 - Jul 24 with 3634 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Not sure in terms of the city centre.

But for football it is best to park just on the side of surrounding roads. I went multiple times last season during international breaks. Just drive past the ground and Chinese restaurant with the ground on your right hand side and there are plenty of little roads to park on, all no more than 5 minutes from the ground. I had no trouble last season and its only pre season so will be even quieter. That is if you leave your wife and little one without the car, I am not sure about walking from the city centre.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Cambridge residents.... on 13:58 - Jul 24 with 3590 viewsmanchego

Cambridge residents.... on 13:24 - Jul 24 by wkj

Parking

There is no on-site car parking available at the Abbey Stadium, we would advise using the match day park and ride service.

Park and Ride

On days when the U’s play at home, both home and away supporters will be able to purchase a special £2.50 return ticket from the Newmarket Road Park & Ride (CB5 8AA) to ferry them to and from the Abbey Stadium.

The ticket is valid for one passenger only. However, if travelling with children, the normal £3 Park & Ride ticket is also available to purchase, allowing children under the age of 16 to travel free with one fee-paying adult.

Ahead of the 3pm kick-off, football fans can catch any of the regular Park & Ride buses heading into the city centre, which will all be stopping at the ground. On the return leg, there will be a dedicated bus waiting in the layby outside the stadium at 4.45pm, to take fans back to the Park & Ride once the game is over.

If you require disabled parking please call the Club on 01223 566 500.

1.00 KO
Cambridge residents.... on 13:59 - Jul 24 with 3583 viewsBLUEBEAT

Does your wife drive?

Get her to drop you off/pick you up.

Sorted.

When going to Camb Utd matches, I park at the end of Wadloes Road and walk through to the ground via Ditton Walk.

This is a long walk from city centre (if that is where your family will be), so a fairly equidistant free parking location would be on Coldhams Lane (near junction to Cromwell Road). You then have a jolly nice walk across the common to the ground (mind the cow pats) and your family can have a 10/15 minute stroll to city centre via Beehive > Grafton > City Centre.

Poll: W or W

Login to get fewer ads

Cambridge residents.... on 14:05 - Jul 24 with 3558 viewsclive_baker

Newmarket Rd Park & Ride hands down fella.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Cambridge residents.... on 14:07 - Jul 24 with 3543 viewsartsbossbeard

Cambridge residents.... on 14:05 - Jul 24 by clive_baker

Newmarket Rd Park & Ride hands down fella.

Does the bus go past the ground and stop or are you talking about walking from the P&R?

I've seen some vague references to a car park nearer the ground too.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Cambridge residents.... on 14:11 - Jul 24 with 3524 viewsElderGrizzly

Cambridge residents.... on 14:07 - Jul 24 by artsbossbeard

Does the bus go past the ground and stop or are you talking about walking from the P&R?

The bus stops outside the ground
Cambridge residents.... on 14:12 - Jul 24 with 3512 viewsartsbossbeard

Cambridge residents.... on 14:11 - Jul 24 by ElderGrizzly

Perfect!

Cheers.

How much are Hot Dogs?

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Cambridge residents.... on 14:14 - Jul 24 with 3500 viewsmonty_radio

Cambridge residents.... on 13:25 - Jul 24 by ElderGrizzly

Park and Ride (Newmarket Road site) is your best bet.

City Centre is nowhere near the ground and the Park and Ride bus from that site stops outside the ground on its way to/from city centre. It’s also the closest site to the A14 from Ipswich

Parking for over 5 hours is now something like £30.

Can confirm this as lived near Cambridge for 30 years till 2013. The Park and Ride will take you right into the better shops. Don't bother with the Grafton Centre - you've seen Ipswich in decay already. Go for the Grand Arcade area and around the market (v good for street food). No cheap parking in the City.

Walking from the ground into the City is not that far across Parkers Piece, East Road, Newmarket Rd if you stride it out on your own.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Cambridge residents.... on 14:14 - Jul 24 with 3499 viewsPaphosBlue

Cambridge residents.... on 14:11 - Jul 24 by ElderGrizzly

I checked with P&R yesterday as this is a Friendly and 1pm KO. They confirmed The Newmarket Road P&R will stop at The abbey Stadium for this match

Poll: What would Lambert have to do for you to accept him as Manager

Cambridge residents.... on 14:18 - Jul 24 with 3478 viewslowhouseblue

park and ride definitely. driving into the centre on a hot saturday is to be avoided.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Cambridge residents.... on 14:55 - Jul 24 with 3409 viewsclive_baker

Cambridge residents.... on 14:07 - Jul 24 by artsbossbeard

It used to stop at the ground, not sure if it still does. Used to stop there on the way out of Town too, couple of occasions we would park there, bus into Town, few pints, bus back to the ground and then bus or walk back to the car after the game. All on the same ticket. Right touch.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Cambridge residents.... on 15:19 - Jul 24 with 3365 viewsGooders7592

Park & Ride your best bet.

If just going to the game you can be cheeky and park at the Tesco about 10 minute walk away.
Cambridge residents.... on 15:21 - Jul 24 with 3359 viewsElderGrizzly

Cambridge residents.... on 15:19 - Jul 24 by Gooders7592

Park & Ride your best bet.

If just going to the game you can be cheeky and park at the Tesco about 10 minute walk away.

That does have a 2 hour limit on it though, with those pesky parking cameras
Cambridge residents.... on 19:52 - Jul 24 with 3153 viewsEly_Blue

If you are coming from Ipswich I would recommend Newmarket Road Park and Ride

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Cambridge residents.... on 20:03 - Jul 24 with 3135 viewsTractorWood

Alright Joe. If you are coming with the Bambino, shopping and lunching I would recommend the Newmarket Road park and ride. I would recommend espresso library for coffee and a sandwich. If you are going for something more substantial I'd go for Smokeworks in the centre.

If anyone is just coming for the game by car I would recommend getting off the A14 at junction 33 (science park) parking in Chesterton near the Haymakers pub, where it's free and making the 10 minute walk to the ground over the green dragon bridge. That part of Cambridge is mainly fair game for parking but exhibit common sense. The other side of the river is tougher and park and ride is less stressful as others have said.

There is some great pubs around the station like the old ticket office, Devonshire arms, Kingston arms and Cambridge Blue.

Closer to the ground is a bit sparse. The Wrestlers is decent and does great Thai food but it will probably be busy.
[Post edited 24 Jul 2019 20:06]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Cambridge residents.... on 20:43 - Jul 24 with 3077 viewsbrogansnose

Cambridge residents.... on 20:03 - Jul 24 by TractorWood

Alright Joe. If you are coming with the Bambino, shopping and lunching I would recommend the Newmarket Road park and ride. I would recommend espresso library for coffee and a sandwich. If you are going for something more substantial I'd go for Smokeworks in the centre.

If anyone is just coming for the game by car I would recommend getting off the A14 at junction 33 (science park) parking in Chesterton near the Haymakers pub, where it's free and making the 10 minute walk to the ground over the green dragon bridge. That part of Cambridge is mainly fair game for parking but exhibit common sense. The other side of the river is tougher and park and ride is less stressful as others have said.

There is some great pubs around the station like the old ticket office, Devonshire arms, Kingston arms and Cambridge Blue.

Closer to the ground is a bit sparse. The Wrestlers is decent and does great Thai food but it will probably be busy.
[Post edited 24 Jul 2019 20:06]

Some good advice on all this thread. I'd add that the market does some really good street food and Bread & Meat opposite Smokeworks is mighty fine too.

Newmarket P&R is easiest but lots of CU supporters park down Barnwell Rd and just off it. Another shout for a good pub is The Royal Standard on Mill Rd which is kind of an Arcade Tavern without the dodgy climb and descent to take a leak.

The Grafton is very swervable for Mrs Beard.
Cambridge residents.... on 22:40 - Jul 24 with 2963 viewshillbillies

Cambridge residents.... on 20:43 - Jul 24 by brogansnose

Some good advice on all this thread. I'd add that the market does some really good street food and Bread & Meat opposite Smokeworks is mighty fine too.

Newmarket P&R is easiest but lots of CU supporters park down Barnwell Rd and just off it. Another shout for a good pub is The Royal Standard on Mill Rd which is kind of an Arcade Tavern without the dodgy climb and descent to take a leak.

The Grafton is very swervable for Mrs Beard.

We’ve booked a parking space through YourParkingSpace.co.uk.

£3.75 all day in the Tesco car park round the corner from the stadium. Can’t complain!
Cambridge residents.... on 22:54 - Jul 24 with 2937 viewsPinewoodblue

Cambridge residents.... on 22:40 - Jul 24 by hillbillies

We’ve booked a parking space through YourParkingSpace.co.uk.

£3.75 all day in the Tesco car park round the corner from the stadium. Can’t complain!

Think you will find Tesco car park is customers only with a two hour limit.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Cambridge residents.... on 22:54 - Jul 24 with 2938 viewsEly_Blue

on 01:00 - Jan 1 by

If you want to park at a station there is the new Cambridge North station, this just off the A14 at Milton and is around 15 mins walk to the ground, it has a massive car park.

Me personally, I’ll be taking the 12 minute train ride to Cambridge North from Ely

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Cambridge residents.... on 08:52 - Jul 25 with 1632 viewsitfcjoe

Thanks everyone - seems as though a consensus that Park and Ride will work best for me.

I hadn't clicked it was 1pm kick off either, so even happier that I posted this now.....! Will prob head straight to the game and leave wife on the bus then wander in and meet her after the game if there isn't a another P&R to jump on

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024