Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Forgive my ignorance... 17:56 - Aug 28 with 2298 viewsclive_baker

But what is Boris' rationale for suspending parliament? If we assumed his intentions were sound (as unlikely as I make that), would the benefit be that they can now spend a few weeks uninterrupted in Brussels thrashing out a new deal? Is that the plan?

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Forgive my ignorance... on 18:02 - Aug 28 with 2286 viewspointofblue

He's suspending Parliament for four additional days; they wouldn't have been sitting for the remaining period of the time due to the Party Conference period though there were rumours that might be disbanded due to the Brexit situation.

Can't help but feel he's doing little more than playing pointlessly to the gallery on this one.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Forgive my ignorance... on 18:29 - Aug 28 with 2238 viewsblueislander

Forgive my ignorance... on 18:02 - Aug 28 by pointofblue

He's suspending Parliament for four additional days; they wouldn't have been sitting for the remaining period of the time due to the Party Conference period though there were rumours that might be disbanded due to the Brexit situation.

Can't help but feel he's doing little more than playing pointlessly to the gallery on this one.

It is a high risk strategy in that there may still be a legal way of preventing the suspension.
[Post edited 28 Aug 2019 20:40]
Forgive my ignorance... on 18:45 - Aug 28 with 2211 viewsOldsmoker

His reason is that this parliamentary session has lasted way too long.
He wants a Queens speech to parliament setting out his governments agenda for the next parliamentary session.
It might simply be that he wants all the pomp and ceremony.
Boris doing his 'Look at me' bit as usual.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Forgive my ignorance... on 18:56 - Aug 28 with 2182 viewsgordon

The things he stands to gain are plenty - some of those on the sensible fringe of the Tory party will leave the party or end up supporting Corbyn in a no confidence vote, thus getting themselves deselected by local parties, either way they are cleared out of the Tory party to be replaced in good time by people who don't think Boris is an idiot.

Because there's no intention to pass any legislation until after an election, it doesn't really matter.

If there is a no deal exit after a no confidence vote, he can presumably blame the worst consequences of the no deal exit on those who destabilised the country with a no confidence vote - 'at this decisive moment in our history, this is an act that is designed to cause as much chaos as possible.'

If there is a no confidence vote, the narrative for the election is clear - parliament vs the people+Boris Johnson. He also gets his own day on October 14th to announce loads of policies.

If it all doesn't work out so well, and he loses an election on the 4th November with the country falling apart, well, at least he believed in Britain, didn't he?

To be honest, it's no more selfish/stupid/disgraceful/absurd than any other part of the Brexit project.
Forgive my ignorance... on 20:14 - Aug 28 with 2115 viewsNo9

It is flying a flag to see what the public do.
If there is little or no response he will risk a general election.
If there is a lot of opposition he will delay
The cretins in No.10 are playing games
Forgive my ignorance... on 20:18 - Aug 28 with 2106 viewseireblue

Division and mis-direction.

He isn’t prologuing Parliament right up to 31 October.

What the opposition could do, is step back and say, sure bring it on, let’s see this new plan.

BoJo, apparently thought it a 1 in a million chance, that he would leave with no deal.
So far, his negotiations have now reduced that to 50/50 chance.

So, he is failing.

Opposition should be focusing on his claims and failures.
They don’t seem t be.

Boris and team will claim that he is just getting stuff done.
Forgive my ignorance... on 20:28 - Aug 28 with 2090 viewsTractorWood

I don't think there is anyway he can thrash out a deal with Brussels. He's trying to pave the way for a no deal.

We have had 3 years to agree a deal and failed spectacularly. Mostly because the people who want it the most won't vote for it!

To be honest, it's been absolutely farcical from start to finish. The country's current strategy looks to be leave without a deal and hope the country doesn't fall into ruin.
[Post edited 29 Aug 2019 6:22]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Forgive my ignorance... on 20:59 - Aug 28 with 2048 views26_Paz

To silence the remoaner traitors

The Paz Man

Login to get fewer ads

Forgive my ignorance... on 23:15 - Aug 28 with 1955 viewsreusersfreekicks

Forgive my ignorance... on 20:59 - Aug 28 by 26_Paz

"Traitors." Grow up
Forgive my ignorance... on 06:34 - Aug 29 with 1848 viewsgordon

Forgive my ignorance... on 18:02 - Aug 28 by pointofblue

This most certainly isn't a pointless move - it makes it much harder for opposition to pass legislation blocking no deal. Also the conference adjournment gets voted on, so would almost certainly have been voted down.
Forgive my ignorance... on 07:05 - Aug 29 with 1812 viewsCoastalblue

How's it doing that?

More likely to be doing the opposite.

Oh I see, you had a chance to say remoaner and traitors, so typed as quick as your little fingers would let you.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Forgive my ignorance... on 07:42 - Aug 29 with 1757 viewsThe_Major

Thing is, the only priority for Boris Johnson is Boris Johnson. If circumstances change, and he thinks that his place in history will be enhanced by NOT leaving, then that is what will happen. We'll see more handbrake turns than in season 4 of Knight Rider.

The man is utterly duplicitous and a charlatan, and it amazes me that people can't see that. To be fair to Farage (ugh, I feel soiled), I think he does see it, and doesn't seem convinced. Leavers would have been better off with Raab or similar running things.
Forgive my ignorance... on 08:01 - Aug 29 with 1738 viewsHerbivore

This is why you get called a troll. You utter numpty.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Forgive my ignorance... on 08:05 - Aug 29 with 1728 viewsBloomBlue

Forgive my ignorance... on 06:34 - Aug 29 by gordon

This most certainly isn't a pointless move - it makes it much harder for opposition to pass legislation blocking no deal. Also the conference adjournment gets voted on, so would almost certainly have been voted down.

I said it at the time and I'll say it again when the other party leaders had that little get together earlier this week why didn't they announce then that they would be calling for the cancellation of the conference season and therefore the cancellation of suspending paraliament. If the Brexit discussions are that important then cancel the conference season but they didn't call for it. Now they're moaning about suspending paraliament.
They're all playing politics.
Forgive my ignorance... on 08:05 - Aug 29 with 1726 viewsmrshallisfit

Either you're a troll or a Daily Mail f##kwit. I'm going for the latter.
Forgive my ignorance... on 08:06 - Aug 29 with 1724 viewsElephantintheRoom

He's reducing the time parliament has top act democratically to ostensibly prevent the no deal Brexit that Parliament has already voted against. This will probably be prevented by parliament anyway - or by the courts imposing democracy on the Tories. However this is really just another election ploy showing he is 'for the people' hoovering up votes from loons and facists who believe in Brexit and might have been tempted to vote for the brexit party. It also gives a platform for the misrepresentations of Sajid Javed on the first day back - hoovering up more votes from Tory loons who think a bit of spending now can undo the terminal damage of a decade of irresponsible cuts. In other words a win win ploy aimed at nutters who do not believe in democracy - but parrot it anyway. Sad to say it will probably work.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Forgive my ignorance... on 08:11 - Aug 29 with 1712 viewsmrshallisfit

Forgive my ignorance... on 08:06 - Aug 29 by ElephantintheRoom

He's reducing the time parliament has top act democratically to ostensibly prevent the no deal Brexit that Parliament has already voted against. This will probably be prevented by parliament anyway - or by the courts imposing democracy on the Tories. However this is really just another election ploy showing he is 'for the people' hoovering up votes from loons and facists who believe in Brexit and might have been tempted to vote for the brexit party. It also gives a platform for the misrepresentations of Sajid Javed on the first day back - hoovering up more votes from Tory loons who think a bit of spending now can undo the terminal damage of a decade of irresponsible cuts. In other words a win win ploy aimed at nutters who do not believe in democracy - but parrot it anyway. Sad to say it will probably work.

It may work because not just Tory loons but many of the English public are blinded by the true intentions of people like Johnson, Farage, Patel and Rees-Mogg.
Forgive my ignorance... on 08:16 - Aug 29 with 1697 viewsnoggin

Traitors to what?

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Forgive my ignorance... on 08:27 - Aug 29 with 1683 viewsWeWereZombies

Forgive my ignorance... on 08:05 - Aug 29 by BloomBlue

I said it at the time and I'll say it again when the other party leaders had that little get together earlier this week why didn't they announce then that they would be calling for the cancellation of the conference season and therefore the cancellation of suspending paraliament. If the Brexit discussions are that important then cancel the conference season but they didn't call for it. Now they're moaning about suspending paraliament.
They're all playing politics.

Politicians doing politics - whatever next?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024