Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Boris Johnson is a legend 18:53 - Aug 28 with 24797 viewsThe_Last_Baron

I love the man. Big balls.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Boris Johnson is a legend on 15:09 - Aug 29 with 2302 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Boris Johnson is a legend on 14:52 - Aug 29 by 26_Paz

Nothing undemocratic about implementing the result of the referendum.

Doesn't democracy involve getting an electorate to agree on something?

If Corbyn (or more likely some genuine remainer) were to take control and force through an agreement with the EU to remain in the customs union and leave the EU but remain in the customs union (aka Norway as the leave campaign was so keen to promote) would that be democratic?

What the "take back control" brigade were deliberately secretive about was who they wanted to hand it over to.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Boris Johnson is a legend on 15:10 - Aug 29 with 2291 viewsSpruceMoose

Boris Johnson is a legend on 15:07 - Aug 29 by 26_Paz

A Prime Minister if legally allowed to suspend Parliament. Boris is legitimately PM under our Parliamentary rules. There is nothing wrong with this.

Sure. I'm sure you'd be completely content if it was being used to disrupt something you were into, like blue passports, or fox hunting or whatever other ridiculous things you right wingers get all frothy about.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Boris Johnson is a legend on 15:17 - Aug 29 with 2283 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Boris Johnson is a legend on 15:10 - Aug 29 by SpruceMoose

Sure. I'm sure you'd be completely content if it was being used to disrupt something you were into, like blue passports, or fox hunting or whatever other ridiculous things you right wingers get all frothy about.

But he will also be equally supportive of the proper use of due procedure when the whole thing is prevented by it. He is consistent like that.

I am sure he was wholly supportive of Gina Miller and her use of the courts.

Boris Johnson is a legend on 15:31 - Aug 29 with 2272 viewsthebluewizzard

My two pence worth and yes I'm a remainer.

Really not interested in the size of his balls, BUT you should be worried -

In 2016, the UK produced just 49 percent of its food while 30 percent came in from countries within the EU. The same year, the UK imported 10.3 billion euros ($11.4 billion using a 0.90 EURO/USD exchange rate) of fruits and vegetables, the country’s largest food import category by value. UK exports of fruit and vegetables sat at just 1.1 billion euros, creating a 9.2 billion euro trade deficit in 2016. In 2017, approximately 76 percent of the UK’s vegetable imports and 41 percent of the country’s fruit and nuts imports originated from the EU.
Meat processing companies rely on imports for 26% of their supply, with the rest coming from UK farms.
Simply, it's easier for the EU to switch from selling these items imported in to the UK to other EU Countries as their internal market is growing year on year than it is for the UK importers to find new suppliers outside the EU.
Prices will rise, the UK will never ever be self-sufficient in food produce.
It’s going to be one rule for the rich and another for all the other people here in the UK. Good old Boris, JR-M and Nigel will be fine, but the average man / woman on the street will not.
Boris Johnson is a legend on 16:03 - Aug 29 with 2246 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Boris Johnson is a legend on 15:31 - Aug 29 by thebluewizzard

My two pence worth and yes I'm a remainer.

Really not interested in the size of his balls, BUT you should be worried -

In 2016, the UK produced just 49 percent of its food while 30 percent came in from countries within the EU. The same year, the UK imported 10.3 billion euros ($11.4 billion using a 0.90 EURO/USD exchange rate) of fruits and vegetables, the country’s largest food import category by value. UK exports of fruit and vegetables sat at just 1.1 billion euros, creating a 9.2 billion euro trade deficit in 2016. In 2017, approximately 76 percent of the UK’s vegetable imports and 41 percent of the country’s fruit and nuts imports originated from the EU.
Meat processing companies rely on imports for 26% of their supply, with the rest coming from UK farms.
Simply, it's easier for the EU to switch from selling these items imported in to the UK to other EU Countries as their internal market is growing year on year than it is for the UK importers to find new suppliers outside the EU.
Prices will rise, the UK will never ever be self-sufficient in food produce.
It’s going to be one rule for the rich and another for all the other people here in the UK. Good old Boris, JR-M and Nigel will be fine, but the average man / woman on the street will not.

and the "skill" of it all was the leave campaign's ability to sell the protest vote from the poor against the government who firmly plonked themselves in the remain camp.

The media also did a great job of feeding the leave propaganda unchecked to the public.

Boris Johnson is a legend on 16:09 - Aug 29 with 2242 viewsGeoffSentence

I wonder how those people who support this would feel if it was the other way. If, for instance, Jeremy Corbyn and prorogued parliament in order to block brexit.

Having used this tool for nefarious purposes, there is now a precedent and the would be tory dictatorship could hardly complain if democracy was suspended in prder to impose something they were not keen on.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Boris Johnson is a legend on 16:17 - Aug 29 with 2226 viewsRyorry

Well he's certainly an "end".

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Boris Johnson is a legend on 16:29 - Aug 29 with 2214 viewsNaylorsboots

Good old Boris and JRM.
Login to get fewer ads

Boris Johnson is a legend on 16:30 - Aug 29 with 2213 viewsBluestar

Boris Johnson is a legend on 14:14 - Aug 29 by Ryorry

Job?

Yep. Part of the reason I haven’t posted on here for years.
Boris Johnson is a legend on 16:37 - Aug 29 with 2203 viewsBlueNomad

The future:

“Let’s prorogue Parliament so that we can reduce workers rights, reduce the minimum wage to £1.50 an hour. Paz and his mates will support it because it’s not against the law and, after all, we have a precedent set by a PM who has no mandate.”
Boris Johnson is a legend on 17:16 - Aug 29 with 2184 viewsRyorry

Boris Johnson is a legend on 16:30 - Aug 29 by Bluestar

Yep. Part of the reason I haven’t posted on here for years.

I refer the Hon Gent to my previous reply* (tho I do seem to have replied to the wrong poster there!)

*"Yeah yeah Mr Secrets is you, I'll just assume MI5 then (or is it 6?)?"

Boris Johnson is a legend on 17:21 - Aug 29 with 2173 viewsSpruceMoose

Boris Johnson is a legend on 16:29 - Aug 29 by Naylorsboots

Good old Boris and JRM.

Good old Mulley.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Boris Johnson is a legend on 23:42 - Aug 29 with 2103 views26_Paz

Lads I haven’t read all the comments because I’m p1sses. I love you all really. Even you mafia boys! Up the town!

The Paz Man

Boris Johnson is a legend on 01:00 - Aug 31 with 2029 viewsBluestar

Boris Johnson is a legend on 17:16 - Aug 29 by Ryorry

I refer the Hon Gent to my previous reply* (tho I do seem to have replied to the wrong poster there!)

*"Yeah yeah Mr Secrets is you, I'll just assume MI5 then (or is it 6?)?"

Haha no, nothing like that, although one of my colleagues left her SIS application on the photocopier (she got the job, we think). Just a plain old civil servant.
Boris Johnson is a legend on 01:30 - Aug 31 with 2014 viewsconnorscontract

Boris Johnson is a legend on 15:07 - Aug 29 by 26_Paz

A Prime Minister if legally allowed to suspend Parliament. Boris is legitimately PM under our Parliamentary rules. There is nothing wrong with this.

" Boris is legitimately PM under our Parliamentary rules. "

Is he though? He was elected to be the Leader of the largest Party in Parliament by the members of that Party. But that Party doesn't have a majority, instead relying on paying the DUP to vote for them.

And since that deal was struck several Tory MPs have left the Party to become Independents of various kinds or Lib Dems.

And when Boris was elected other Tory MPs said they would not support him if he was heading for a No Deal, or in proroguing Parliament.

So we don't actually know if he has a majority. I don't think he has won a substantive vote since becoming PM. So his legitimacy as Prime Minister, which is always founded on being able to command a majority in the House of Commons, is shaky and unproven. He is both Prime Minister by virtue of being asked to be so by the Queen, whilst also possibly being an non-Prime Minister by virtue of not commanding a majority. He is Schrodinger's Prime Minister, and the only way to find out if he is alive or dead is to hold the vote, which is why he has prorogued.

So to give the power to suspend Parliament to such a (non) Prime Minister, to take away the legitimate ability of Parliament to make Sovereign decisions over such a central issue, and instead allow the Executive to attempt to steer policy in a direction Parliament has resoundingly rejected (by sidelining Parliament) is profoundly anti-democratic and a complete violation of the way the rules have always been understood to have worked.

It is close to a temporary Enabling Act, for a Prime Minister who hasn't even demonstrated he has the confidence of the majority of MPs, in order to ensure that he doesn't have to demonstrate that he has their confidence.
Boris Johnson is a legend on 07:38 - Aug 31 with 1953 viewsjimmyvet

Boris Johnson is a legend on 01:30 - Aug 31 by connorscontract

Is he though? He was elected to be the Leader of the largest Party in Parliament by the members of that Party. But that Party doesn't have a majority, instead relying on paying the DUP to vote for them.

And since that deal was struck several Tory MPs have left the Party to become Independents of various kinds or Lib Dems.

And when Boris was elected other Tory MPs said they would not support him if he was heading for a No Deal, or in proroguing Parliament.

So we don't actually know if he has a majority. I don't think he has won a substantive vote since becoming PM. So his legitimacy as Prime Minister, which is always founded on being able to command a majority in the House of Commons, is shaky and unproven. He is both Prime Minister by virtue of being asked to be so by the Queen, whilst also possibly being an non-Prime Minister by virtue of not commanding a majority. He is Schrodinger's Prime Minister, and the only way to find out if he is alive or dead is to hold the vote, which is why he has prorogued.

So to give the power to suspend Parliament to such a (non) Prime Minister, to take away the legitimate ability of Parliament to make Sovereign decisions over such a central issue, and instead allow the Executive to attempt to steer policy in a direction Parliament has resoundingly rejected (by sidelining Parliament) is profoundly anti-democratic and a complete violation of the way the rules have always been understood to have worked.

It is close to a temporary Enabling Act, for a Prime Minister who hasn't even demonstrated he has the confidence of the majority of MPs, in order to ensure that he doesn't have to demonstrate that he has their confidence.

Yep we know all that but under the rules as they stand he is the rightful PM and have any of his actions this week been unlawful and not with the constitution?

You might dislike him and the Tories with a passion but what this week has shown to me is what a hopeless bunch the opposition leaders and parties are completely outflanked and outmanoeuvred by their opponents. Roll on for more BS next week.
Boris Johnson is a legend on 08:32 - Aug 31 with 1931 viewsm14_blue

Boris Johnson is a legend on 07:38 - Aug 31 by jimmyvet

Yep we know all that but under the rules as they stand he is the rightful PM and have any of his actions this week been unlawful and not with the constitution?

You might dislike him and the Tories with a passion but what this week has shown to me is what a hopeless bunch the opposition leaders and parties are completely outflanked and outmanoeuvred by their opponents. Roll on for more BS next week.

Outmanoeuvred because they expected the government to act within the accepted norms of what was previously one of the greatest democracies in the world?

Besides which, having an inept opposition and having a morally corrupt, undemocratic, contemptible, populist government aren’t mutually exclusive.
Boris Johnson is a legend on 08:39 - Aug 31 with 1926 viewsHerbivore

Boris Johnson is a legend on 07:38 - Aug 31 by jimmyvet

We'll need to see what happens with the legal challenges brought against the government before we can say for certain whether it is definitely legal to prorogue parliament in this way. Legal or not it's an affront to democracy and goes against promises made by the PM and various members of his cabinet just a few weeks ago.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Boris Johnson is a legend on 09:49 - Aug 31 with 1899 viewsjimmyvet

Boris Johnson is a legend on 08:39 - Aug 31 by Herbivore

We'll need to see what happens with the legal challenges brought against the government before we can say for certain whether it is definitely legal to prorogue parliament in this way. Legal or not it's an affront to democracy and goes against promises made by the PM and various members of his cabinet just a few weeks ago.

It’s afront to democracy that 3 years on from a vote that they lost the bleating remainers are so concerned about 3 days when they have sorted nothing in 3 years so they have no one but themselves to blame. They had a soft Brexit on the table they could have voted for and we wouldn’t be in this place now. I like all sensible peoples have had enough of this BS and I don’t care if we stay or leave I just want it over and if it means a hard Brexit so be it. That said I do believe we will get a deal and hopefully sooner rather than later then a GE.
Boris Johnson is a legend on 09:58 - Aug 31 with 1889 viewsHerbivore

Boris Johnson is a legend on 09:49 - Aug 31 by jimmyvet

It’s afront to democracy that 3 years on from a vote that they lost the bleating remainers are so concerned about 3 days when they have sorted nothing in 3 years so they have no one but themselves to blame. They had a soft Brexit on the table they could have voted for and we wouldn’t be in this place now. I like all sensible peoples have had enough of this BS and I don’t care if we stay or leave I just want it over and if it means a hard Brexit so be it. That said I do believe we will get a deal and hopefully sooner rather than later then a GE.

What was on the table wasn't a soft Brexit, it meant leaving the customs union and single market and ended freedom of movement. A soft Brexit would have maintained, at the very least, the customs union. You can blame remainers all you like, but if the ERG faction of the government had backed their PM and the deal she negotiated we'd have left by now.

The only democratic solution at this point is a second referendum. Three years on the leavers still can't agree what leaving looks like and there's no majority or mandate for a no deal Brexit. It needs to go back to the people with one or two concrete leave options versus remain.

Boris Johnson is a legend on 14:47 - Aug 31 with 1863 viewsRyorry

Beautifully said

Boris Johnson is a legend on 14:53 - Aug 31 with 1853 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Schrodinger's Prime Minister. I like it.

Boris Johnson is a legend on 14:37 - Sep 1 with 1791 views26_Paz

Boris Johnson is a legend on 09:58 - Aug 31 by Herbivore

What was on the table wasn't a soft Brexit, it meant leaving the customs union and single market and ended freedom of movement. A soft Brexit would have maintained, at the very least, the customs union. You can blame remainers all you like, but if the ERG faction of the government had backed their PM and the deal she negotiated we'd have left by now.

The only democratic solution at this point is a second referendum. Three years on the leavers still can't agree what leaving looks like and there's no majority or mandate for a no deal Brexit. It needs to go back to the people with one or two concrete leave options versus remain.

Or the remoaners could just grow up, dry their eyes and get over it

The Paz Man

Boris Johnson is a legend on 14:53 - Sep 1 with 1778 viewsHerbivore

Boris Johnson is a legend on 14:37 - Sep 1 by 26_Paz

I'm not sure why you're trolling is still tolerated.

Boris Johnson is a legend on 15:46 - Sep 1 with 1744 viewsSpruceMoose

Boris Johnson is a legend on 14:37 - Sep 1 by 26_Paz

Remember that time you PM'd me all concerned that you'd offended people, saying that if you'd over stepped the mark you'd take a break from the board for a while?

Me telling you not to worry about it was bad advice. You should take that break.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024