Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bolton's business 16:58 - Sep 2 with 6174 viewsMullet

Jack Hobbs, Liam Bridcutt, Will Buckley and a Belgian winger from Stoke thus far.

They're dead and buried aren't they, but it will be interesting to see how Hill uses these players and what effect it has on their results. The incessant 5 nil batterings will cease fairly quickly I assume.

Do you think there will be issues if us or Gillingham pip someone to promotion or relegation GD? I can see it being like the Blunts and West Ham over Tevez and Mascherano a lot of hand wringing and a token challenge which is dismissed.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Bolton's business on 20:02 - Sep 2 with 1143 viewsGeoffSentence

Bolton's business on 19:29 - Sep 2 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

It’s not that many points at this level though really - and it may be even less given Bury’s demise meaning they only need to finish 4th bottom. I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see them do it

They have to make up 15 points over current fourth bottom in 39 games, which is quite a tall order and depending upon sanctions for the Brentford and Doncaster games could be as much as 21 point to make up. Not impossible but a really tough ask, and they do still have a very small core of seasoned professionals. If they avoid relegation it will be a small miracle.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Bolton's business on 20:08 - Sep 2 with 1137 viewstextbackup

Bolton's business on 18:23 - Sep 2 by SitfcB

Murphy confirmed as well now and that’s it.

He will score goals in this league, and plenty of them.

:(

taking points off our rivals..... good old murf

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

This is the 3rd Division mate..... on 20:33 - Sep 2 with 1093 viewsBloots

Bolton's business on 19:56 - Sep 2 by Mullet

I think teams will find plenty. The takeover, the lack of punishment from not fulfilling their last fixture, the allowances made to ensure they don't fail etc. I'm not saying they'd be justified in doing so, but in a game like football with money at stake you can see clubs chancing their arm if it costs them a status in any division.

As much as we've all got goodwill for them not doing a Bury, there are plenty of fans who begrudge the Shakers and Bolton their status as it affected them directly in terms of being denied promotion or revenue. If Bolton are in anyway successful this season then I can foresee it ruffling feathers.

….most of the clubs either can't be arsed or haven't got the money to hire a law firm to act for them.

They are just happy to be in existence.

Anyway, we'll win the league by 10 points so who gives a toss.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Bolton's business on 23:38 - Sep 2 with 1001 viewspointofblue

I wonder what the EFL will do with the Doncaster match now? Make Rovers play it against a strengthened Bolton team or award it? Or say it has to be played but Bolton can only select a team from those at the club on the originally scheduled date?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Bolton's business on 07:15 - Sep 3 with 931 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Bolton's business on 19:40 - Sep 2 by Nthsuffolkblue

Last season 50 points was enough - just over a point per game. With this season being 44 matches that means around 47 points should be enough. That means they would need to gain 58 points from their next 39 matches plus make up whatever penalty the EFL apply for their 2 matches they called off without permission.

Without any further penalty they would need around 1.5 points per game which is pretty much play-off form. Can you imagine any side doing that with a squad of around 15 players, regardless of whether they include Josh Emmanuel and a 36-year-old Daryl Murphy?

1) they will have more than 15 players - free agents are still on the table and more reinforcements will come in January

2) they only need to finish 4th bottom, in the last 4 seasons 48, 48, 45 and 47 points were enough, and that was over a 46 game season

3) view is based on the current deficit - clearly further punishment would change the situation

It won’t be easy but the players they’ve assembled should be more than a match for most teams. Probably depends how quickly they gel, but if they do so quickly then the 15 point gap to safety could be whittled down pretty quickly

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Bolton's business on 07:33 - Sep 3 with 913 viewsChurchman

Bolton's business on 07:15 - Sep 3 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

1) they will have more than 15 players - free agents are still on the table and more reinforcements will come in January

2) they only need to finish 4th bottom, in the last 4 seasons 48, 48, 45 and 47 points were enough, and that was over a 46 game season

3) view is based on the current deficit - clearly further punishment would change the situation

It won’t be easy but the players they’ve assembled should be more than a match for most teams. Probably depends how quickly they gel, but if they do so quickly then the 15 point gap to safety could be whittled down pretty quickly

The players they have assembled are other teams rejects and has beens. They’ve been thrown together with some youth players. If they gel instantly into a team that wins enough to stay up, I’ll be very surprised.

As for it being unfair on teams that have not played them yet, that’s the way it goes. It’s no different to a new owner coming in and signing a load of players half way through the season at any other club, as could happen with Sunderland.

It is totally different to the Wet Spam situation with Tevez who was an illegal player that saved them from relegation. They should have been relegated at least one league and would have been if they’d been Swindon or any another unimportant club.
Bolton's business on 09:28 - Sep 3 with 866 viewsrickw

No issues, but if that happens and clubs are unhappy you could see the EFL fully adopting the PL + Champ transfer deadline to stop clubs signing players after the season starts

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Bolton's business on 09:36 - Sep 3 with 860 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Bolton's business on 07:33 - Sep 3 by Churchman

The players they have assembled are other teams rejects and has beens. They’ve been thrown together with some youth players. If they gel instantly into a team that wins enough to stay up, I’ll be very surprised.

As for it being unfair on teams that have not played them yet, that’s the way it goes. It’s no different to a new owner coming in and signing a load of players half way through the season at any other club, as could happen with Sunderland.

It is totally different to the Wet Spam situation with Tevez who was an illegal player that saved them from relegation. They should have been relegated at least one league and would have been if they’d been Swindon or any another unimportant club.

I think you’ve underestimated things a bit there - they’re players with pedigree that were out of favour at their clubs, playing in the third division and crucially with a point to prove. It will probably take a couple of weeks to get things going but I suspect the challenge of hauling back that deficit will prove a huge motivator for them

I’ll stick my neck out on this one - I think Bolton will stay up if they escape further punishment
[Post edited 3 Sep 2019 10:27]

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Login to get fewer ads

Bolton's business on 10:25 - Sep 3 with 828 viewsElderGrizzly

Bolton's business on 18:00 - Sep 2 by GeoffSentence

and there should be a penalty for the game they didn't play at the end of last season.

Apparently 6 point deduction coming their way this season on top of the -12
Bolton's business on 10:27 - Sep 3 with 823 viewsElderGrizzly

Bolton's business on 19:56 - Sep 2 by MrTown

No real dubious action there, Sharon Brittan is the leading figure in the consortium. For her to take out a loan to a company merely means that she doesn't have to pay tax on the interest payback.

Nick Luckock is a partner at HgCapital. Venture Capitalist and Private Equity Firm.

The ‘experts’ analysing the deal appear to think it is storing up trouble for the near future.

Loading the club with external debt again and no obvious way of repaying at the current L1 income level
Bolton's business on 10:45 - Sep 3 with 812 viewsbritbiker

Bolton's business on 10:27 - Sep 3 by ElderGrizzly

The ‘experts’ analysing the deal appear to think it is storing up trouble for the near future.

Loading the club with external debt again and no obvious way of repaying at the current L1 income level

Be interesting to see their season ticket take up now bearing in mind the EFL rules on income/turnover. Should think a few fans will be wary putting money up front in case it all unfolds again. Maybe they have a monthly payment plan but even then not really sure of the law if a plan is cancelled early and an administrator decides he wants money due. Think I would opt to pay for each game individually for this season.
Bolton's business on 11:01 - Sep 3 with 786 viewsitfcjoe

Bolton's business on 09:36 - Sep 3 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I think you’ve underestimated things a bit there - they’re players with pedigree that were out of favour at their clubs, playing in the third division and crucially with a point to prove. It will probably take a couple of weeks to get things going but I suspect the challenge of hauling back that deficit will prove a huge motivator for them

I’ll stick my neck out on this one - I think Bolton will stay up if they escape further punishment
[Post edited 3 Sep 2019 10:27]

I can't see it, realistically they are going to need at the very least 55 points over 40 games and it wouldn't be a surprise if it takes them 4-5 games to get up to match sharpness.

Not unlikely they'll still be bottom by some distance in another 10 games or so and it just is mentally draining to try and come back from that - think they'll get relatively close but will be down with a couple of games left.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024