Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Game on? 21:50 - Dec 11 with 8058 viewsitfcjoe

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Game on? on 23:03 - Dec 11 with 864 viewsHerbivore

Game on? on 23:00 - Dec 11 by DarkHorse

Sure, you can better define labour's values than the leader of the party and country.

Sigh.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Game on? on 23:10 - Dec 11 with 848 viewsSuffolktractor

Game on? on 22:13 - Dec 11 by jeera

Do you know what?

I've had the same argument so many times I can only conclude that these people do know, they just don't care.

The one thing all of this; Brexit, this election, has shown, is that some people are just horrible.

I have lost friends and family members over all of this, and I'm not sorry. I'm glad for the opportunity to see them for what they really are and am grateful that I will never waste another second on any of them.
[Post edited 11 Dec 2019 22:14]

We all have friends and family we strongly disagree with on lots of issues, but to disown them due to them not agreeing with everything you say is in my humble opinion really sad.
Game on? on 06:54 - Dec 12 with 790 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Game on? on 22:34 - Dec 11 by Swansea_Blue

Nah. The smear campaign would be the same whoever. Look at Ed and his bacon sandwich.

The last time Labour got in they had more tabloids on their side. That stuff matters (sadly).

1) Corbyn is often noted as being the most smeared politician ever, so difficult to believe that another leader would get the same level of criticism

2) Milliband certainly didn’t. He had the p*ss ripped out of him for making a hash of eating a sandwich, and was generally criticised for being a somewhat meh as a leader - compared to the whole terrorist sympathiser/anti-semite thing that’s fairly standard fare for a politician

3) Taking the having press onside point as a given (and I think I agree), wouldn’t it therefore have made sense for Labour to appoint a leader who could do that, rather than persisting with the current regime?

I expect we’ll find out what happens with the next one soon enough

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Game on? on 06:57 - Dec 12 with 786 viewsgordon

That's just the Telegraph trying to get the old folk out to vote.
Game on? on 07:02 - Dec 12 with 781 viewsgordon

Game on? on 06:54 - Dec 12 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

1) Corbyn is often noted as being the most smeared politician ever, so difficult to believe that another leader would get the same level of criticism

2) Milliband certainly didn’t. He had the p*ss ripped out of him for making a hash of eating a sandwich, and was generally criticised for being a somewhat meh as a leader - compared to the whole terrorist sympathiser/anti-semite thing that’s fairly standard fare for a politician

3) Taking the having press onside point as a given (and I think I agree), wouldn’t it therefore have made sense for Labour to appoint a leader who could do that, rather than persisting with the current regime?

Look, in this election Labour just needed a leader who could grasp and cogently explain the detail of policy - someone like Clive Lewis or Kier Starmer on a sensible left-wing platform would have humiliated Boris.
[Post edited 12 Dec 2019 7:18]
Game on? on 07:03 - Dec 12 with 779 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Game on? on 07:02 - Dec 12 by gordon

Look, in this election Labour just needed a leader who could grasp and cogently explain the detail of policy - someone like Clive Lewis or Kier Starmer on a sensible left-wing platform would have humiliated Boris.

Well quite

Game on? on 07:18 - Dec 12 with 771 viewsDarth_Koont

Labour's "mistake" was having a career antiracist and social justice activist as leader. They'll need to go for someone who is more of a career politician or at least a lot younger so they won't have 50 years of political activity to distort.

But I think their biggest mistake (and ours too) was trusting the middle of the road press and BBC to provide some balance to the rantings of the right-wing media and to not defend the establishment. Their largely passive but still negative coverage has been pretty awful.

But if the next Labour leader stands for the same values and policies then we will likely see a continuation of this from all parties. It'll be their record of support of Corbyn. The "shadowy influence" of Momentum. Their support for pro-Palestinian groups as a sign of their hatred of Jews. The record of whoever they've ever been associated with, even with a retweet of something innocuous.

Because this type of politics must be destroyed and unfortunately we, the silent majority, have shown the attackers that we'll let them use any tactic and any misrepresentation, no matter how smeary, to do that.

Pronouns: He/Him

Game on? on 07:19 - Dec 12 with 770 viewsDubtractor

Game on? on 06:57 - Dec 12 by gordon

Weather looks dreadful all day. Fingers crossed.....

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Login to get fewer ads

Game on? on 07:22 - Dec 12 with 760 viewsGaryCooper

Game on? on 07:02 - Dec 12 by gordon

Yep, someone without a genuine habit of meeting the wrong people and being in the wrong place at the wrong time, it really isn't that difficult to comprehend why JC is unelectable in the eyes of millions of decent people. To tag all these people as 'horrible' is well just horrible perhaps?
Game on? on 07:28 - Dec 12 with 740 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Game on? on 07:18 - Dec 12 by Darth_Koont

Labour's "mistake" was having a career antiracist and social justice activist as leader. They'll need to go for someone who is more of a career politician or at least a lot younger so they won't have 50 years of political activity to distort.

But I think their biggest mistake (and ours too) was trusting the middle of the road press and BBC to provide some balance to the rantings of the right-wing media and to not defend the establishment. Their largely passive but still negative coverage has been pretty awful.

But if the next Labour leader stands for the same values and policies then we will likely see a continuation of this from all parties. It'll be their record of support of Corbyn. The "shadowy influence" of Momentum. Their support for pro-Palestinian groups as a sign of their hatred of Jews. The record of whoever they've ever been associated with, even with a retweet of something innocuous.

Because this type of politics must be destroyed and unfortunately we, the silent majority, have shown the attackers that we'll let them use any tactic and any misrepresentation, no matter how smeary, to do that.

‘Who is more of a career politician...so they won’t have 50 years of political activity’

And the BBC are quite clearly not biased

Maybe a lot of people just don’t share your vision?

Game on? on 07:28 - Dec 12 with 734 viewsHerbivore

Did you miss the bit where Milliband was labelled Red Ed and they smeared his dead father? It's not like they were neutral and it was just a bit of ribbing over a bacon sandwich.

Game on? on 07:29 - Dec 12 with 735 viewsDubtractor

Game on? on 07:28 - Dec 12 by Herbivore

Did you miss the bit where Milliband was labelled Red Ed and they smeared his dead father? It's not like they were neutral and it was just a bit of ribbing over a bacon sandwich.

I'd forgotten the smear on his dad.

Ffs our media is a world of sh1t.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Game on? on 07:33 - Dec 12 with 723 viewsHerbivore

Game on? on 07:29 - Dec 12 by Dubtractor

I'd forgotten the smear on his dad.

Ffs our media is a world of sh1t.

It's much more convenient in our simple times to make out that if only Corbyn was replaced by someone else he wouldn't be portrayed as unelectable by the Tory press. Its a nonsense idea. Sure, Corbyn's past gives them some easy ammo, but they will use anything or just in invent stuff in order to discredit the leader of the opposition. Milliband got a terrible press too and he was pretty moderate with very few skeletons in his closet. He also got 3.5m fewer votes than Corbyn.

Game on? on 07:41 - Dec 12 with 723 viewsDarth_Koont

Game on? on 07:22 - Dec 12 by GaryCooper

Yep, someone without a genuine habit of meeting the wrong people and being in the wrong place at the wrong time, it really isn't that difficult to comprehend why JC is unelectable in the eyes of millions of decent people. To tag all these people as 'horrible' is well just horrible perhaps?

When there's injustice and oppression, then you meet the "wrong people in the wrong place at the wrong time".

It's only later when the injustice and oppression is recognised by the masses (with Establishment approval) that they become the right people. Happened with humanism, slavery, colonialism, civil rights, feminism, Apartheid, Northern Ireland, Iraq, LGBT rights etc. and it will happen with Israel/Palestine, Occupy Wall Street, Extinction Rebellion etc.

Shame that we can never learn that lesson.

Game on? on 07:44 - Dec 12 with 716 viewsGaryCooper

Game on? on 07:33 - Dec 12 by Herbivore

It's much more convenient in our simple times to make out that if only Corbyn was replaced by someone else he wouldn't be portrayed as unelectable by the Tory press. Its a nonsense idea. Sure, Corbyn's past gives them some easy ammo, but they will use anything or just in invent stuff in order to discredit the leader of the opposition. Milliband got a terrible press too and he was pretty moderate with very few skeletons in his closet. He also got 3.5m fewer votes than Corbyn.

Milliband was also a poor choice as leader, decent enough man and politician, but had the look of a nodge fan at a football legends event.
Game on? on 07:52 - Dec 12 with 699 viewsHerbivore

Game on? on 07:44 - Dec 12 by GaryCooper

Milliband was also a poor choice as leader, decent enough man and politician, but had the look of a nodge fan at a football legends event.

Yeah, this is the level of fookwittery that means we're all screwed.

Game on? on 08:04 - Dec 12 with 696 viewsDarth_Koont

Game on? on 07:28 - Dec 12 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

‘Who is more of a career politician...so they won’t have 50 years of political activity’

And the BBC are quite clearly not biased

Maybe a lot of people just don’t share your vision?

Political activity as an antiracist and social justice campaigner. Apologies if that wasn't clear. But try distorting political activity that's just party politics as with Blair.

The BBC is *slightly* biased and I think the charge that their best interests are too closely linked to the government's is a fair one. But mostly they've been passive about the truth and haven't helped by repeating accusations and misrepresentations with little to no interest in dispelling them. In that scenario they're no defence against the otherwise largely right-wing and partisan media.

Game on? on 08:13 - Dec 12 with 691 viewsGaryCooper

Game on? on 07:52 - Dec 12 by Herbivore

Yeah, this is the level of fookwittery that means we're all screwed.

Having no embarrassment must be so empowering!
Game on? on 08:15 - Dec 12 with 687 viewsartsbossbeard

Game on? on 06:57 - Dec 12 by gordon

"Those labour will improve society, protect pensions and rebuild the NHS. Not on my watch after my husband paid all of those taxes until he died 30 years ago at 65 leaving me with this nice paid off house and a final salary pension. Come on Gladys, we've got some kids to disadvantage."

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Game on? on 08:16 - Dec 12 with 671 viewsHerbivore

Game on? on 08:13 - Dec 12 by GaryCooper

Having no embarrassment must be so empowering!

I think you should be embarrassed, mate. You just said someone was a bad choice of leader because they looked a bit funny. When that's the level of political discourse we all suffer.

Game on? on 08:17 - Dec 12 with 673 viewsSteve_M

Game on? on 22:14 - Dec 11 by Mullet

Quite possibly, but I also think the Tories would have gone with someone else/stayed with May too and this would be a much more centre ground election.

We wouldn't be having this election if the Labour leader was more popular. One only has to look at how scared Boris is of scrutiny as it is.....

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Game on? on 08:18 - Dec 12 with 672 viewschicoazul

Game on? on 07:18 - Dec 12 by Darth_Koont

I think this is all true apart from the BBC bit which I just don't buy.

So Labour need to do something different, don't they? If only there was some sort of recent template of Labour electoral success they could look to.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Game on? on 08:26 - Dec 12 with 654 viewsDarth_Koont

Game on? on 08:18 - Dec 12 by chicoazul

I think this is all true apart from the BBC bit which I just don't buy.

So Labour need to do something different, don't they? If only there was some sort of recent template of Labour electoral success they could look to.

The answer to our narrow, non-representative political and media landscape is to conform to those expectations? Rather than challenge them and be supported by the independent media for doing so?

What's the point of that and whose interests does that serve?

At its core, this passive attitude to a dodgy status quo is why Scotland should leave the UK. We all need reform of this landscape but it seems it's just not going to happen.

Game on? on 08:32 - Dec 12 with 635 viewsGaryCooper

Game on? on 08:16 - Dec 12 by Herbivore

I think you should be embarrassed, mate. You just said someone was a bad choice of leader because they looked a bit funny. When that's the level of political discourse we all suffer.

I doft my cap, you have far superior knowledge on how it must feel to have endured a charisma bypass, sorry and all that, mate.
Game on? on 09:04 - Dec 12 with 587 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Game on? on 07:28 - Dec 12 by Herbivore

Actually I had forgotten about that, you’re right, so fair comment. However I do stand by the point that it was still nowhere near the same level as Corbyn, plus that particular attack was instigated by the Daily Mail whom I agree would attack the Labour leader whoever it may be - my point was more in relation to the wider press

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024