Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Without being over dramatic, is there any reason to keep Lambert? 10:40 - Feb 12 with 8924 viewsitfcjoe

For those who think the manager isn't good enough, then they won't disagree with this.

And for those who place the blame purely on the players, and the quality of the squad - is there any reason why you would want Lambert to be the man that leads the overhaul of the squad?

Our best bet is to get someone in now, see if there is a new manager bounce and then go from there - with that manager being able to overhaul squad if they deem necessary.

I just can't see how this turns round, and I can't see letting Lambert have another go at it, after what will be 2 seasons of utter failure is the right thing to do

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Without being over dramatic, is there any reason to keep Lambert? on 11:43 - Feb 12 with 3039 viewsOxford_Blue

Yes.

Because we won’t do any better unless there is money to spend which there is isn’t. No new manager better than Lambert is going to come to our club in league one and the mess we are in unless they are told they have the ability and freedom to put their own team together. Being told they have to sell what few good players we have first isn’t attractive.

Someone like Hurst was willing to take that deal because he had never managed at this level and for him it was a big break (which he blew). An unknown or very young manager is not going to attract good players unless we can offer them high wages, or unless we give them years and years to build a young team. But that means staying in this league for a while and potentially getting relegated again.
Without being over dramatic, is there any reason to keep Lambert? on 11:44 - Feb 12 with 3033 viewsJammyDodgerrr

He definitely needs to go now, but i just don't like the look of alternatives on the market other than Nathan Jones and i'm not sure he would want it. And i don't think there is anyone else out there who i would want that is freely available.

I don't blame the players completely, i think they are still good enough to do the job no matter what.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Without being over dramatic, is there any reason to keep Lambert? on 11:45 - Feb 12 with 3028 viewsParsley

I think the only way for Ipswich to compete at championship level is to have a long term strategy in place. Our squad needed a complete overhaul and I think Lambert has made a start to address this. We are less reliant on loan players this season, although there is clearly still work to do with Lambert clearly not rating players such as Nsiala and Donacien and we also have an unbalanced squad depending on the formation. Rebuilding the squad will take time as realistically we are unable to go out and sign a large number of ready made replacements for the squad decimated by Paul Hurst.

Having said all of that there's nothing that Lambert has done to convince me that he's the man to oversee this change. I just want to see some positive signs of encouragement, a team identity developing and plans for the next crop of youngsters to break into the first team. My worry though is that if we change manager are we just going to have the same issues? Also if you change managers they are going to have their own ideas on certain players and this whole squad rebuilding stage may take even longer.
Without being over dramatic, is there any reason to keep Lambert? on 12:03 - Feb 12 with 2971 viewsKeaneish

Without being over dramatic, is there any reason to keep Lambert? on 11:31 - Feb 12 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

The highest points total for 6th place in the last 10 years was 74 points - and that was in a 46 game season. 72 points will absolutely be enough this time around

Plus the situation Mick inherited is vastly different to what any new man theoretically arriving today would receive - a higher points total should absolutely be the aim

Other than Wycombe, everyone else down to 10th are on the up though. Looking at the top 6, we'd need any of these clubs to only pick up the following to get in on 72 points.

Rotherham 15 points from 42
Peterborough 16 points from 36
Coventry 17 points from 45
Wycombe 18 points from 39
Sunderland - 20 points from 42
Portsmouth - 21 points from 45
Ipswich 23 points from 39

Given their remaining fixtures, i fancy Wycombe and Sunderland to win half their remaining fixtures and scratch out more than the above. Some big must win games coming up at PR.
[Post edited 12 Feb 2020 12:27]

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Without being over dramatic, is there any reason to keep Lambert? on 12:07 - Feb 12 with 2965 viewsjaykay

we seem to be in a rock and a hard place . we have tried getting rid of managers early and giving managers years. neither kept the fans happy for long. most on here thought micks time was up and maybe stayed a year to long. then when hurst came in most were saying he was what we needed and were very happy to see the new signings ,it was only when it went pear shaped ,did people start to query the signings.
then when lambert came in some were very happy at the start, even thou his success had only been with norwich. when he signed norwood most were over the moon.
things may have been different if that draw with norwich had been a win after 6 games of hursts reign, things may have turned out better.
so do we become a sacking club or give lambert more time.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Without being over dramatic, is there any reason to keep Lambert? on 12:22 - Feb 12 with 2937 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Without being over dramatic, is there any reason to keep Lambert? on 12:03 - Feb 12 by Keaneish

Other than Wycombe, everyone else down to 10th are on the up though. Looking at the top 6, we'd need any of these clubs to only pick up the following to get in on 72 points.

Rotherham 15 points from 42
Peterborough 16 points from 36
Coventry 17 points from 45
Wycombe 18 points from 39
Sunderland - 20 points from 42
Portsmouth - 21 points from 45
Ipswich 23 points from 39

Given their remaining fixtures, i fancy Wycombe and Sunderland to win half their remaining fixtures and scratch out more than the above. Some big must win games coming up at PR.
[Post edited 12 Feb 2020 12:27]

Pretty sure Sunderland will clean up and finish in the automatics given the run they are on at the minute. Won six of the last seven, conceding no goals.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Without being over dramatic, is there any reason to keep Lambert? on 12:30 - Feb 12 with 2914 viewsKeaneish

Without being over dramatic, is there any reason to keep Lambert? on 12:22 - Feb 12 by JammyDodgerrr

Pretty sure Sunderland will clean up and finish in the automatics given the run they are on at the minute. Won six of the last seven, conceding no goals.

I think, if anything, it'll be Wycombe due to their form and squad size or Portsmouth due to fixture pile up and squad size that fall away. Portsmouth at home on the 21st March will be massive!

Without being over dramatic, is there any reason to keep Lambert? on 12:55 - Feb 12 with 2876 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Sack him now, bring in Warnock and then reassess in May.

Of course that won't happen.

Instead, we'll finish 8th, there will be lots of apologies (including another video from the owner) and we'll lose Downes, Woolf, KVY and Dozzell in the Summer.
Login to get fewer ads

Without being over dramatic, is there any reason to keep Lambert? on 13:16 - Feb 12 with 2840 viewstractorboy1978

Without being over dramatic, is there any reason to keep Lambert? on 12:55 - Feb 12 by PrideOfTheEast

Sack him now, bring in Warnock and then reassess in May.

Of course that won't happen.

Instead, we'll finish 8th, there will be lots of apologies (including another video from the owner) and we'll lose Downes, Woolf, KVY and Dozzell in the Summer.

Evans, O'Neill and Lambert have been talking about promotion out of this league as some sort of project so I'll be surprised if they are that fussed if we don't go up this year. And this links back to Lambert's future - I'm not sure failure to get instant promotion is the disaster to Evans that it really should be.

The standards here are so low. Lambert talks of us being a big club but then in the next breath plays down expectations.
Without being over dramatic, is there any reason to keep Lambert? on 13:17 - Feb 12 with 2834 viewschicoazul

Without being over dramatic, is there any reason to keep Lambert? on 10:46 - Feb 12 by SomethingBlue

Imagine it would cost a hell of a lot to get rid of him at any point between now and May. It's not happening. For me the situation is absolutely desperate and whether I like Lambert or not I'd ideally get Warnock in for three months and make sure of a play-off place — he would be bang up for it.

When is the last time Warnock managed as low as L1?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Without being over dramatic, is there any reason to keep Lambert? on 13:19 - Feb 12 with 2819 viewsfooters

Without being over dramatic, is there any reason to keep Lambert? on 13:17 - Feb 12 by chicoazul

Colin's got a soft spot for us, hasn't he? And he certainly likes a pound note.

Still, it's sad we're now clamouring for MM on steroids.
[Post edited 12 Feb 2020 13:20]

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Without being over dramatic, is there any reason to keep Lambert? on 13:19 - Feb 12 with 2817 viewspatrickswell

You get the sense that the hierarchy are desperate to get this season over with and have never really settled on whether they wanted to bounce back first time or take stock and “build”. Lambert never looked or sounded comfortable when we were in the automatic places and he knows that he is stuck with too many players who won’t cut it in the Championship. His own tactics and team rotation have been confused and incoherent and we know that Evans wasn’t going to spend enough to precipitate a quality assault on the promotion places.

They want the fans to lapse back into apathy and get on with their jobs minus pressure and expectation, because they can’t handle it. But aspirations of a rebuild can be floated as vaguely as possible providing small increments of progress follow. The problem is if Lambert starts next season in the manner that Keane, Jewell and Hurst started their seasons. Our form since the Accrington away game has been roughly similar to what we’ve seen in any season that we weren’t managed by Mick McCarthy and if we started next season in the bottom 3 after 10 games, the smelly stuff would really be flying.. However, the rebuild has to start somewhere/sometime. If it wasn’t the nagging sense that he’s trying to set himself up with a cushy number for a couple of years, I’d almost say that Lambert should be left to get on with it.
Without being over dramatic, is there any reason to keep Lambert? on 13:19 - Feb 12 with 2815 viewsSomethingBlue

Without being over dramatic, is there any reason to keep Lambert? on 13:17 - Feb 12 by chicoazul

Probably the late 90s. But I'm not sure that matters and it wouldn't matter to him — he bloody loves Town, think he would sign up in a heartbeat to finish up with a firefighting job here.

Hypotheticals, anyway ...

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Without being over dramatic, is there any reason to keep Lambert? on 13:20 - Feb 12 with 2810 viewschicoazul

Without being over dramatic, is there any reason to keep Lambert? on 13:19 - Feb 12 by SomethingBlue

Probably the late 90s. But I'm not sure that matters and it wouldn't matter to him — he bloody loves Town, think he would sign up in a heartbeat to finish up with a firefighting job here.

Hypotheticals, anyway ...

In that case I hope he is free in 5 seasons to take over from Lambo!

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Without being over dramatic, is there any reason to keep Lambert? on 13:22 - Feb 12 with 2788 viewsblueconscience

Without being over dramatic, is there any reason to keep Lambert? on 11:35 - Feb 12 by JackPITFC

Honestly, PR Paul will go down as one of the worst managers in Ipswich history.

I say make a change now and go for Nathan Jones let him build a legacy don't base him off what happened at Stoke.

It's just upsetting seeing the Model of a small club like Brentford spending big money even when we where in the Championship and even now with below 12,000 gates. They seem to have got it right, where as we have got it so wrong...

They invest transfer fees into purchases, We do not. That is one of the main differences.

Poll: What % of ST holders saying they won’t renew, will end up renewing regardless?

Without being over dramatic, is there any reason to keep Lambert? on 13:31 - Feb 12 with 2764 viewsLankHenners

Without being over dramatic, is there any reason to keep Lambert? on 13:16 - Feb 12 by tractorboy1978

Evans, O'Neill and Lambert have been talking about promotion out of this league as some sort of project so I'll be surprised if they are that fussed if we don't go up this year. And this links back to Lambert's future - I'm not sure failure to get instant promotion is the disaster to Evans that it really should be.

The standards here are so low. Lambert talks of us being a big club but then in the next breath plays down expectations.

That's it - the standards from the top are set so low that it feeds through the entire club.

Mick fought against that at turned it into one of our strongest qualities but by the end you could tell even he was being worn down by it. Lambert seems happy to sit in a comfy job knowing he's successfully got a weak owner to let him rest easy.

Financially it suits Evans to stay down here, so if he really cares about the club like he says he does, he should realise he's holding it back and actively look to sell.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Without being over dramatic, is there any reason to keep Lambert? on 13:32 - Feb 12 with 2751 viewsReuser_is_God

Without being over dramatic, is there any reason to keep Lambert? on 13:31 - Feb 12 by LankHenners

That's it - the standards from the top are set so low that it feeds through the entire club.

Mick fought against that at turned it into one of our strongest qualities but by the end you could tell even he was being worn down by it. Lambert seems happy to sit in a comfy job knowing he's successfully got a weak owner to let him rest easy.

Financially it suits Evans to stay down here, so if he really cares about the club like he says he does, he should realise he's holding it back and actively look to sell.

Marcus "my kids love the club" Evans

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Without being over dramatic, is there any reason to keep Lambert? on 13:41 - Feb 12 with 2724 viewsLankHenners

Without being over dramatic, is there any reason to keep Lambert? on 13:32 - Feb 12 by Reuser_is_God

Marcus "my kids love the club" Evans

"We're always discussing football at the breakfast table". Piss off.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Without being over dramatic, is there any reason to keep Lambert? on 13:43 - Feb 12 with 2718 viewstractorboy1978

Without being over dramatic, is there any reason to keep Lambert? on 13:41 - Feb 12 by LankHenners

"We're always discussing football at the breakfast table". Piss off.

I bet he buys Aldi own brand cereal. Not a Coco Pop in sight.
Without being over dramatic, is there any reason to keep Lambert? on 13:46 - Feb 12 with 2704 viewsReuser_is_God

Without being over dramatic, is there any reason to keep Lambert? on 13:43 - Feb 12 by tractorboy1978

I bet he buys Aldi own brand cereal. Not a Coco Pop in sight.

He buys Aldi own, chucks them in a Kelloggs box & his kids fall for it every time however the time is coming where they tell him to fcuk off.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Without being over dramatic, is there any reason to keep Lambert? on 13:48 - Feb 12 with 2699 viewsjayessess

Without being over dramatic, is there any reason to keep Lambert? on 12:07 - Feb 12 by jaykay

we seem to be in a rock and a hard place . we have tried getting rid of managers early and giving managers years. neither kept the fans happy for long. most on here thought micks time was up and maybe stayed a year to long. then when hurst came in most were saying he was what we needed and were very happy to see the new signings ,it was only when it went pear shaped ,did people start to query the signings.
then when lambert came in some were very happy at the start, even thou his success had only been with norwich. when he signed norwood most were over the moon.
things may have been different if that draw with norwich had been a win after 6 games of hursts reign, things may have turned out better.
so do we become a sacking club or give lambert more time.

It's about direction more than where we are. You like to see that your manager is making a difference and improving the squad. The reality is that Lambert's now had 73 games in charge of Ipswich Town and we're worse than we've ever been.

If we'd started slowly and gradually got better, 7th at this point might have been acceptable, but we've regressed from runaway champions form to relegation form.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Without being over dramatic, is there any reason to keep Lambert? on 13:48 - Feb 12 with 2697 viewsHerbivore

Without being over dramatic, is there any reason to keep Lambert? on 13:31 - Feb 12 by LankHenners

I'm not sure I get the argument that it suits him financially for us to be in the third tier. He'll still be putting money in every year but we're two promotions away from him ever recouping a penny of what he's putting in. We're also less attractive for any prospective buyer at this level.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Without being over dramatic, is there any reason to keep Lambert? on 13:53 - Feb 12 with 2681 viewsjayessess

Without being over dramatic, is there any reason to keep Lambert? on 13:48 - Feb 12 by Herbivore

I'm not sure I get the argument that it suits him financially for us to be in the third tier. He'll still be putting money in every year but we're two promotions away from him ever recouping a penny of what he's putting in. We're also less attractive for any prospective buyer at this level.

I don't think it fits his behaviour either. If he's not arsed about promotion why did we doggedly chase away QPR when they were offering £600k for a high-earning 30yo with a niggling injury? Why sanction big wages for Norwood? Why not sell Downes and/or Woolf in January?

There were multiple opportunity to recoup some money and weaken the squad that we've passed up. The likelier explanation is incompetence rather than conspiracy.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Without being over dramatic, is there any reason to keep Lambert? on 13:58 - Feb 12 with 2661 viewsNo9

Just to repeat what I have posted many times before - Mr E needs a football man holding his hand.
There must be something seroiusly wrong somewhere when the 'best' gk in the division becomes a no hoper. The striker who could score at will last seasons (elsewhere) now can't, a star of the future can't get a game, players highly rated in their previous employment are not up to it at PR?

Why can't Towns 'scouts' find the gems other clubs scouts do?
Etc. etc.
Too many questions not enough answers Mr E needs help
Without being over dramatic, is there any reason to keep Lambert? on 14:07 - Feb 12 with 2635 viewsKeaneish

Without being over dramatic, is there any reason to keep Lambert? on 13:58 - Feb 12 by No9

Just to repeat what I have posted many times before - Mr E needs a football man holding his hand.
There must be something seroiusly wrong somewhere when the 'best' gk in the division becomes a no hoper. The striker who could score at will last seasons (elsewhere) now can't, a star of the future can't get a game, players highly rated in their previous employment are not up to it at PR?

Why can't Towns 'scouts' find the gems other clubs scouts do?
Etc. etc.
Too many questions not enough answers Mr E needs help

I think the scouting is the least of our worries. The emergence of or purchase of talent has been one of the upsides for me this year ie: Downes, Wolfenden, KVY, Dobra, El Miz, Norwood. In fact, we've not really signed any flops other than maybe Georgiou. We were in for Szmodics too so i think we're OK on that front.

Where we seem to be lacking is the ability to nuture and manage that talent to achieve its full potential.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024