Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mortality rate is 4.4% in the UK from Coronavirus 20:40 - Mar 19 with 5896 viewsElderGrizzly

China was 2%. The message from Government was this was a 1% disease.

This is going to get incredibly bad if these statistics don’t ‘soften’

Mortality rate is 4.4% in the UK from Coronavirus on 21:49 - Mar 19 with 2440 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Mortality rate is 4.4% in the UK from Coronavirus on 21:44 - Mar 19 by Edmundo

With the way global travel was (until recently) and you put together both the suppression of statistics in China with the number of Chinese visitors (especially younger people, over 120000 according to BBC in January), it's highly likely Coronavirus was circulating way before it was officially picked up. It could have been here in January and been mistaken for flu, with some pneumonia complications.

Highly likely I would think.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Mortality rate is 4.4% in the UK from Coronavirus on 21:52 - Mar 19 with 2438 viewsjeera

Mortality rate is 4.4% in the UK from Coronavirus on 21:41 - Mar 19 by J2BLUE

They are misreporting the actual words for a headline.

He said we could 'turn the tide' which I assume means be on the downward slope of the curve. He did say send it packing but as far as I remember not within 12 weeks.

He did say something along the lines of getting it 'done' though.

Still trying to communicate with the masses with his dumbing down.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Mortality rate is 4.4% in the UK from Coronavirus on 21:56 - Mar 19 with 2429 viewsElderGrizzly

He said we could 'turn the tide' which I assume means be on the downward slope of the curve. He did say send it packing but as far as I remember not within 12 weeks.

Here is the actual quote. He said it

I think, looking at it all, that we can turn the tide within the next 12 weeks and I’m absolutely confident that we can send coronavirus packing in this country. But only if we all take the steps that we’ve outlined — that is vital.”
Mortality rate is 4.4% in the UK from Coronavirus on 21:57 - Mar 19 with 2422 viewsOxford_Blue

Mortality rate is 4.4% in the UK from Coronavirus on 21:52 - Mar 19 by jeera

He did say something along the lines of getting it 'done' though.

Still trying to communicate with the masses with his dumbing down.

How are you possibly in a position to judge someone who is faced with this kind of situation?

You analyse and criticise his every word. You haven’t any idea what pressures they are under and how they are trying to buy time.

And what’s wrong with communicating to the masses?? That’s precisely the role of the PM surely.
Mortality rate is 4.4% in the UK from Coronavirus on 21:57 - Mar 19 with 2424 viewsElderGrizzly

Mortality rate is 4.4% in the UK from Coronavirus on 21:39 - Mar 19 by sparks

It's not what he said.

But he did. It’s on video. Unless this is like Trump where you then deny it even when it is played back to him.

“I think, looking at it all, that we can turn the tide within the next 12 weeks and I’m absolutely confident that we can send coronavirus packing in this country. But only if we all take the steps that we’ve outlined — that is vital.”
Mortality rate is 4.4% in the UK from Coronavirus on 21:59 - Mar 19 with 2412 viewsjeera

Mortality rate is 4.4% in the UK from Coronavirus on 21:56 - Mar 19 by ElderGrizzly

I think, looking at it all, that we can turn the tide within the next 12 weeks and I’m absolutely confident that we can send coronavirus packing in this country. But only if we all take the steps that we’ve outlined — that is vital.”

To be fair, Johnson or not - and I cannot stand the guy - the country does need some optimism I suppose, although with a healthy dose of realism thrown in too.

That doesn't make much sense.

I might just log off and try again tomorrow.
[Post edited 19 Mar 2020 22:00]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Mortality rate is 4.4% in the UK from Coronavirus on 21:59 - Mar 19 with 2412 viewsElderGrizzly

Mortality rate is 4.4% in the UK from Coronavirus on 21:57 - Mar 19 by Oxford_Blue

How are you possibly in a position to judge someone who is faced with this kind of situation?

You analyse and criticise his every word. You haven’t any idea what pressures they are under and how they are trying to buy time.

And what’s wrong with communicating to the masses?? That’s precisely the role of the PM surely.

Because his language and lack of action here is dangerous.

Suggesting, hoping, advocating etc, but at no time actually making a decision.

And then setting a 12 week timetable that is at odds with any other report for the progress of this virus.
Mortality rate is 4.4% in the UK from Coronavirus on 22:00 - Mar 19 with 2411 viewssparks

Mortality rate is 4.4% in the UK from Coronavirus on 21:57 - Mar 19 by ElderGrizzly

But he did. It’s on video. Unless this is like Trump where you then deny it even when it is played back to him.

“I think, looking at it all, that we can turn the tide within the next 12 weeks and I’m absolutely confident that we can send coronavirus packing in this country. But only if we all take the steps that we’ve outlined — that is vital.”

No he didn't. Read it. It does not say 'packing in 12 weeks' and anyone watching it would not reasonably reach that interpretation.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Login to get fewer ads

Mortality rate is 4.4% in the UK from Coronavirus on 22:25 - Mar 19 with 2397 viewsCrawfordsboot

Semantics boys semantics.
The important data analysis is around excess deaths due to coronavirus. China has around 25,000+ deaths per day. 3,000 to 4000 deaths attributable to the virus over the period it has been running is really a relatively small number, (though of course not for the individual concerned).
The majority of deaths occur in individuals with significant underlying health problems therefore the excess deaths will by definition be fewer still.

The number of deaths from coronavirus is not really the problem . It is rather the swamping of medical resources and the lockdown of social and economic activity. Your lives are not in great danger though your wages,or your pension fund might be.
Mortality rate is 4.4% in the UK from Coronavirus on 22:26 - Mar 19 with 2388 viewsSwansea_Blue

He explained that "turning the tide" meant that he wanted to "get on top of it".

I wasn't sure whether he was talking about coronavirus or Jennifer Arcuri at that point, but apart from that perfectly clear

Link to the abridged version for those interested https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51966721

He was certainly giving the impression that 12 weeks was the aim for a significant improvement, but in true Boris style was a bit waffly and inconclusive when asked to explain.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Mortality rate is 4.4% in the UK from Coronavirus on 22:26 - Mar 19 with 2386 viewsOxford_Blue

Mortality rate is 4.4% in the UK from Coronavirus on 22:00 - Mar 19 by sparks

No he didn't. Read it. It does not say 'packing in 12 weeks' and anyone watching it would not reasonably reach that interpretation.

Agree
Mortality rate is 4.4% in the UK from Coronavirus on 22:36 - Mar 19 with 2367 viewsLord_Lucan

He should come and say that there is little point in these daily briefings if you are going to twist what I say.

Hugely irresponsible - and these days it isn't just the Red Tops.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Sure thing Dr Spock on 22:41 - Mar 19 with 2366 viewsDyland

Mortality rate is 4.4% in the UK from Coronavirus on 22:25 - Mar 19 by Crawfordsboot

Semantics boys semantics.
The important data analysis is around excess deaths due to coronavirus. China has around 25,000+ deaths per day. 3,000 to 4000 deaths attributable to the virus over the period it has been running is really a relatively small number, (though of course not for the individual concerned).
The majority of deaths occur in individuals with significant underlying health problems therefore the excess deaths will by definition be fewer still.

The number of deaths from coronavirus is not really the problem . It is rather the swamping of medical resources and the lockdown of social and economic activity. Your lives are not in great danger though your wages,or your pension fund might be.

"China has around 25,000+ deaths per day. 3,000 to 4000 deaths attributable to the virus over the period it has been running is really a relatively small number"

It really isn't a relatively small proportion in any rational or reasonable analysis of current events.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Mortality rate is 4.4% in the UK from Coronavirus on 22:45 - Mar 19 with 2354 viewssparks

Mortality rate is 4.4% in the UK from Coronavirus on 22:36 - Mar 19 by Lord_Lucan

He should come and say that there is little point in these daily briefings if you are going to twist what I say.

Hugely irresponsible - and these days it isn't just the Red Tops.

Quite. Appalling from a bbc journalist.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Mortality rate is 4.4% in the UK from Coronavirus on 23:22 - Mar 19 with 2328 viewsPinewoodblue

Mortality rate is 4.4% in the UK from Coronavirus on 21:56 - Mar 19 by ElderGrizzly

Would you agree that we have turned the tide if for three consecutive days the number of new confirmed cases is lower than the previous day and that the number classified as recovered is rising faster.

To my mind Boris is probably right although I wouldn’t expect any significant relaxation on restricts for 2-3 weeks later.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Mortality rate is 4.4% in the UK from Coronavirus on 23:27 - Mar 19 with 2319 viewsJ2BLUE

Mortality rate is 4.4% in the UK from Coronavirus on 21:57 - Mar 19 by ElderGrizzly

Try reading it again.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Sure thing Dr Spock on 06:34 - Mar 20 with 2277 viewsCrawfordsboot

Sure thing Dr Spock on 22:41 - Mar 19 by Dyland

"China has around 25,000+ deaths per day. 3,000 to 4000 deaths attributable to the virus over the period it has been running is really a relatively small number"

It really isn't a relatively small proportion in any rational or reasonable analysis of current events.

So 10,000,000 deaths occur naturally in China each year. Coronavirus has caused between 3,000 and 4,000 deaths many of, if not a majority of, which would have occurred anyway as part of the 10,000,000 annual deaths. So say 2,000 at most as a proportion of 10,000,000.

To me trying to make a rational analysis that is a relatively small proportion 2/10,000.

Of course each death is a tragedy for those involved for whom the outcome is absolute, not relative.
[Post edited 20 Mar 2020 6:42]
Mortality rate is 4.4% in the UK from Coronavirus on 06:43 - Mar 20 with 2266 viewsEly_Blue

You are Piers Morgan and I claim my £20 prize (by bank transfer or contactless of course due to current circumstances)

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Sure thing Dr Spock on 07:43 - Mar 20 with 2228 viewssparks

Sure thing Dr Spock on 06:34 - Mar 20 by Crawfordsboot

So 10,000,000 deaths occur naturally in China each year. Coronavirus has caused between 3,000 and 4,000 deaths many of, if not a majority of, which would have occurred anyway as part of the 10,000,000 annual deaths. So say 2,000 at most as a proportion of 10,000,000.

To me trying to make a rational analysis that is a relatively small proportion 2/10,000.

Of course each death is a tragedy for those involved for whom the outcome is absolute, not relative.

You realise they introduced very extreme measures and limited spread to a tiny proportion of the population don't you?

0.5% of the population are said to have been infected.

Mortality rate is 4.4% in the UK from Coronavirus on 07:53 - Mar 20 with 2222 viewsTractorWood

That's pretty misleading. It's been here for weeks circulating and I bet the cases are in the hundreds of thousands. Millions in Italy. It's morbid but because the testing is so hap hazard from country to country, the only comparator is absolute number of deaths.

It's the flaw of trying to give context of a virus that ranges from no symptoms to extremely mild to hospitalisation.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Sure thing Dr Spock on 08:18 - Mar 20 with 2215 viewsDyland

Sure thing Dr Spock on 06:34 - Mar 20 by Crawfordsboot

Yeh I get the stats buh. You seem to be making some kind of philosophical point, putting the mortality rate into perspective. As i say, I get it.

The core issue with this pandemic is not the mortality rate, it's the knock-on socioeconomic effects, and corresponding cultural and mental impact. The numbers of COVID-19 deaths as a percentage of general mortality rates is completely irrelevant in any real sense dealing with what is happening.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Mortality rate is 4.4% in the UK from Coronavirus on 09:41 - Mar 20 with 2192 viewsBrixtonBlue

There's two bits to his first sentence, separated by AND.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Mortality rate is 4.4% in the UK from Coronavirus on 09:45 - Mar 20 with 2191 viewsStokieBlue

He didn't say it though, not in the way you are implying. You are looking for something that is not there.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Sure thing Dr Spock on 10:35 - Mar 20 with 2168 viewssparks

Sure thing Dr Spock on 07:43 - Mar 20 by sparks

You realise they introduced very extreme measures and limited spread to a tiny proportion of the population don't you?

0.5% of the population are said to have been infected.

Should be 0.05 percent.

Sure thing Dr Spock on 13:29 - Mar 20 with 2136 viewsJ2BLUE

Sure thing Dr Spock on 10:35 - Mar 20 by sparks

Should be 0.05 percent.

We forgive you.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024