Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Nothing on the behaviour of certain PL clubs as yet? 09:21 - Apr 1 with 4257 viewsitfcjoe

Spurs - CEO who takes a £7m salary a year, players like Harry Kane earning £200k a week - have furloughed all staff taking advantage of the Government's scheme to just let the Govt pay them their 80% of salary, Spurs to contribute nothing.

Newcastle - As above, whilst paying players £80-100k a week

Norwich - As above, but will top up the salaries to full by paying the 20% extra, their fans excusing this last night firstly by thinking how great they are as a club to be topping salaries up, and then stating they aren't a cash rich, or even rich club, and that it is totally necessary.

All these clubs will be processing a payroll in the millions of pounds over the last few days, whilst getting the Govt to pick up the tab for a tiny fraction of it rather than have players defer wages like Leeds have done at this level

Also, Bournemouth - Have informed the people who look after their youth players in digs that they will be stopping their payments at the moment. The people that run around after 16-17 year old kids, give them 3 meals a day, for the sake of a couple of hundred pound a month and a free season ticket are having that payment stopped whilst Callum Wilson is earning £100k a week.

I'm not on of those that thinks footballers wages are ridiculous, they are rare commodities in a commercially successful game and I'd rather the money go to them than greedy executives - but this is a joke - a 10% wage deferral from players would have covered these other salaries 10x over.

Grubby, grubby and greedy.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Nothing on the behaviour of certain PL clubs as yet? on 09:26 - Apr 1 with 3200 viewsm14_blue

Top level football is morally bankrupt. Hopefully it will be literally bankrupt soon and we can start again.

Thanks for highlighting this Joe, despicable behaviour.
Nothing on the behaviour of certain PL clubs as yet? on 09:28 - Apr 1 with 3181 viewsRadlett_blue

Agree, the Premier League is looking the god of greed right now. I can only hope that the league is on something across the board can be agreed, while Graham Taylor has been arguing for a wage deferral rather than reduction. This is about high finance & large numbers, where agents & lawyers are bound to get involved, with the added issue that plenty of players will be out of contract on 30th June. However, this contrasts with Barcelona, for example, where the players have already agreed to take a 70% wage cut and make an extra contribution on top during the enforced La Liga break so that the club's other employees can earn their full salaries during the coronavirus crisis.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Nothing on the behaviour of certain PL clubs as yet? on 09:34 - Apr 1 with 3144 viewshomer_123

Herein lies the problem of the Gov trying to do the right thing Joe.

We can't be surprised that Clubs would do this. They've never done anything to suggest they would do otherwise.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Nothing on the behaviour of certain PL clubs as yet? on 09:38 - Apr 1 with 3134 viewsWD19

Grubby and (relatively) pointless. The govt will only pay up to a max of £2,500 per month, so for the average premier league squad clubs will only ‘save’ £200k across the furlough period.
Nothing on the behaviour of certain PL clubs as yet? on 09:40 - Apr 1 with 3128 viewsfactual_blue

Indeed. But this is how capitalism works.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Nothing on the behaviour of certain PL clubs as yet? on 09:41 - Apr 1 with 3127 viewsportmanking

Football's finished. No-one has any respect for the top level of our sport anymore.
Nothing on the behaviour of certain PL clubs as yet? on 10:15 - Apr 1 with 3036 viewsSteve_M

If society is seriously disrupted for an extended period then an ever growing number of fans will start to question the moral bankruptcy of the Premier League and the game's biggest clubs. It's a questionable morality at the best of times and these are anything but the best of times.

No doubt we'll go back to Sky hyping up everything in a few months or a year and nothing much will change but the hollowness will be more obvious.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Nothing on the behaviour of certain PL clubs as yet? on 10:24 - Apr 1 with 3004 viewstractorboy1978

Nothing on the behaviour of certain PL clubs as yet? on 09:38 - Apr 1 by WD19

Grubby and (relatively) pointless. The govt will only pay up to a max of £2,500 per month, so for the average premier league squad clubs will only ‘save’ £200k across the furlough period.

What is your maths on this? They aren't claiming for players but all other staff.

Spurs have 550 employees being furloughed - 550 x £2,500 = £1.375m per month.

I appreciate that is a maximum and many of those would have been on under £2,500 per month so total claim will be under £1.375m.
[Post edited 1 Apr 2020 10:27]
Login to get fewer ads

Nothing on the behaviour of certain PL clubs as yet? on 10:27 - Apr 1 with 2985 viewsBrixtonBlue

Absolutely, well said. It's disgusting. Not that anyone's surprised though.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Nothing on the behaviour of certain PL clubs as yet? on 10:27 - Apr 1 with 2980 viewsRadlett_blue

Nothing on the behaviour of certain PL clubs as yet? on 10:24 - Apr 1 by tractorboy1978

What is your maths on this? They aren't claiming for players but all other staff.

I appreciate that is a maximum and many of those would have been on under £2,500 per month so total claim will be under £1.375m.

I guess he's assuming that the average PL club has far fewer than 550 non-playing employees.

Nothing on the behaviour of certain PL clubs as yet? on 10:35 - Apr 1 with 2938 viewstractorboy1978

Football had a chance here to do the morally correct thing and to perhaps change some perceptions but instead it has reinforced the idea clubs and players are greedy and self-interested.

How powerful a message would it be if all Premier League players, directors and CEOs united, came out and said we will take a 20% wage deferral so that the club can pay all support staff full wages without the need to use the furlough scheme, and we want the money that we could have taken to be put directly into the NHS?

These are the same clubs that will keep taking DDs from ST holders with no football on too (not that I think they shouldn't) but it's a bit rich that they will take with their left hand from the taxpayer and then also take with their right hand from the tax payer in the form of the furlough scheme.
Nothing on the behaviour of certain PL clubs as yet? on 10:37 - Apr 1 with 2924 viewsITFC_Forever

Had a rant about it last night on Twitter:

I hope this is the start of the tipping point (not just because it’s them). For too long, people have ignored / turned a blind eye to the sordid way football runs its finances - young men, vast majority under 35, earning thousands / tens of thousands / hundreds of thousands a week.

Yet they get paid in full, while normal people, doing all the necessary off-the-field jobs on a fraction of their wages are getting temporarily laid off at tax-payers expense. There’s simply no excuse for it. Prem clubs (& a lot of Champ clubs) earn millions a year, yet still spend well over (in some cases double) their income on players wages.

It’s shambolic, insulting and pure greed.

This an opportunity for football to wake up and sort itself out. But we all know it won’t...

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Nothing on the behaviour of certain PL clubs as yet? on 10:42 - Apr 1 with 2894 viewsbluefunk

Nothing on the behaviour of certain PL clubs as yet? on 10:24 - Apr 1 by tractorboy1978

That’s £1.3m that’s coming from tax payers, I don’t know what Spurs wage bill for players is but I don’t think it’s beyond the realms of possibility that amount could be paid by players taking a wage cut. And no, they don’t have to but they’ve had the good times and maybe it’s time to put something back
Nothing on the behaviour of certain PL clubs as yet? on 10:48 - Apr 1 with 2853 viewstractorboy1978

Nothing on the behaviour of certain PL clubs as yet? on 10:42 - Apr 1 by bluefunk

That’s £1.3m that’s coming from tax payers, I don’t know what Spurs wage bill for players is but I don’t think it’s beyond the realms of possibility that amount could be paid by players taking a wage cut. And no, they don’t have to but they’ve had the good times and maybe it’s time to put something back

Even a deferral. We all know that once this is all over, the sponsors and broadcasters will be chomping at the bit even more than they were before and tens of millions will be rolling into these clubs. I'd like to think this is some epiphany moment for football but it won't be.
[Post edited 1 Apr 2020 10:48]
Nothing on the behaviour of certain PL clubs as yet? on 10:49 - Apr 1 with 2839 viewsitfcjoe

Nothing on the behaviour of certain PL clubs as yet? on 10:42 - Apr 1 by bluefunk

The average player at Spurs has earnings off £3.96m a year, which equates to just a fraction over £330k a month.

They have an annual wage bill in total of £178.6m a year, so £14.9m a month goes through the payroll - so this £1.3m is pretty affordable, especially after pre tax profits of nearly £90m last season

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Nothing on the behaviour of certain PL clubs as yet? on 10:56 - Apr 1 with 2803 viewsArnieM

This CoVid shows up the greedy ba stards in society doesn’t it. I just hope the public don’t forget it when the situation eases and company owners like Branson, Mike Ashley, and the greedy arse holes in the PL get their comeuppance. The Public are / can be an enormous force if the out their collective minds to it .

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Nothing on the behaviour of certain PL clubs as yet? on 10:56 - Apr 1 with 2800 viewsgiant_stow

Nothing on the behaviour of certain PL clubs as yet? on 10:15 - Apr 1 by Steve_M

If society is seriously disrupted for an extended period then an ever growing number of fans will start to question the moral bankruptcy of the Premier League and the game's biggest clubs. It's a questionable morality at the best of times and these are anything but the best of times.

No doubt we'll go back to Sky hyping up everything in a few months or a year and nothing much will change but the hollowness will be more obvious.

Fingers crossed.

Why can't they / won't they furlough players?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Nothing on the behaviour of certain PL clubs as yet? on 10:58 - Apr 1 with 2790 viewsSwansea_Blue

Ad it'll probably be half of that. A lot of those people in the back office won't be on salaries anywhere near that £2,500 pcm 80% cap. That's £37,500 gross per year.

Wage bill isn't high compared to some, but it's still £100m+ per year. If the players and agents had an ounce of morality, they'd show camaraderie by contributing. Something like 20% of their net wages would be an nice gesture. Spur's average player wage is £330,000 per month. Back office staff will be getting 80% of somewhere in the region of £1,250-£2,000 per month.
https://www.football.london/tottenham-hotspur-fc/news/tottenham-wage-bill-reveal

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Nothing on the behaviour of certain PL clubs as yet? on 10:58 - Apr 1 with 2787 viewsSwansea_Blue

Grubby and greedy indeed Joe.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Nothing on the behaviour of certain PL clubs as yet? on 11:02 - Apr 1 with 2775 viewsRadlett_blue

While this happened over 100 years ago, the Football League continued to play a full 1914-15 season despite Britain having declared war on 4th August. Interestingly, the Scottish League carried on throughout the war, supposedly to keep up morale. Plenty of people thought football unpatriotic to have continued and as a result, many schools switched from Association Football to Rugby as their chosen winter sport.

Nothing on the behaviour of certain PL clubs as yet? on 11:13 - Apr 1 with 2728 viewsBent_double

I think this calls for banners at all EFL games once football does return, firstly thanking the NHS, then something like 'Shame on you, Premier League'.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Nothing on the behaviour of certain PL clubs as yet? on 11:20 - Apr 1 with 2711 viewsWD19

Nothing on the behaviour of certain PL clubs as yet? on 10:27 - Apr 1 by Radlett_blue

I guess he's assuming that the average PL club has far fewer than 550 non-playing employees.

No, I was assuming the indignation related to the clubs claiming this for their first team squad.....which is a massive own goal, if true.

I have no problem with them claiming it for the people that work in the back office who would otherwise be laid off.
Nothing on the behaviour of certain PL clubs as yet? on 11:47 - Apr 1 with 2645 viewsbluefunk

Nothing on the behaviour of certain PL clubs as yet? on 10:49 - Apr 1 by itfcjoe

The average player at Spurs has earnings off £3.96m a year, which equates to just a fraction over £330k a month.

They have an annual wage bill in total of £178.6m a year, so £14.9m a month goes through the payroll - so this £1.3m is pretty affordable, especially after pre tax profits of nearly £90m last season

Thank you, IMO there’s no reason why their players shouldn’t cover that, but if I’m remembering correctly, don’t the players contracts take precedent over everything else? Or is that just in liquidation?
Nothing on the behaviour of certain PL clubs as yet? on 13:13 - Apr 1 with 2543 viewsChrisd

You summarise it well in your closing statement Joe and once again all that's wrong with the modern game. It might be the going rate, but footballers salaries, certainly at the top end, are ridiculous and one of the main reasons the game is in the mess it's in. I hope the the footballing world goes bust, it reboots from scratch and sides do things correctly from the start. When clubs are also paying agents £30m to get a deal completed you know that there are real problems in our game.
[Post edited 1 Apr 2020 13:42]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Nothing on the behaviour of certain PL clubs as yet? on 13:22 - Apr 1 with 2508 viewsBloomBlue

Nothing on the behaviour of certain PL clubs as yet? on 10:56 - Apr 1 by giant_stow

Fingers crossed.

Why can't they / won't they furlough players?

They probably cannot furlough players as there is probably something in the players contract which prevents that and if the club did then it's breach of contract and the player can walk away from the contract will the club receiving nothing .
Not saying that is the correct answer just a guess by me
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024