Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Magilton as a manger 15:06 - Apr 5 with 1370 viewsMaySixth

personally I thought he was average at best
over-emotional, tactically naive
good player

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Magilton as a manger on 15:16 - Apr 5 with 1343 viewsWD19

Does it spoil your afternoon of trolling if I come along and agree with you!?

As a player he was much better than good.
Magilton as a manger on 15:39 - Apr 5 with 1298 viewsDubtractor

Give us a couple of examples of how him being over emotional caused us a problem.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Magilton as a manger on 15:46 - Apr 5 with 1275 viewsHerbivore

Not up to it as a manager. He did a fairly mediocre job here overall and hasn't really done much since, other than get sacked for (allegedly) headbutting one of his players.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Magilton as a manger on 16:06 - Apr 5 with 1248 viewsBLUEBEAT

Was he better away as a manger?

Poll: W or W

Magilton as a manger on 16:14 - Apr 5 with 1240 viewsMaySixth

Magilton as a manger on 15:39 - Apr 5 by Dubtractor

Give us a couple of examples of how him being over emotional caused us a problem.

Ruining the players in public after defeat at home to Wolves in the first game of the season - which he then apologised for. Too late by then.

Jim: I Was Too Harsh on Players 29th Aug 2008 16:27
Boss Jim Magilton has conceded that he may have been too harsh in some of his players when commenting on last week's 2-0 defeat to Wolves. The Town manager was particularly scathing about Danny Haynes's display having replaced Liam Trotter in the side. 0

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Magilton as a manger on 16:23 - Apr 5 with 1213 viewsLord_Lucan

Magilton as a manger on 16:06 - Apr 5 by BLUEBEAT

In one season, in another he was better at home.

All in all he's a proper legend!

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Magilton as a manger on 16:46 - Apr 5 with 1179 viewstractorboy1978

You'd chew someone's arm off for 13 consecutive home wins now wouldn't you? And a league season where we only lost once at home.
Magilton as a manger on 17:09 - Apr 5 with 1144 viewsITFC_Forever

Cheap option at a time when Sheepy was skint.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Login to get fewer ads

Magilton as a manger on 17:44 - Apr 5 with 1104 viewspatrickswell

Not if your main exposure to watching the team was going to Away matches in 2007-08.

I saw us play 11 times over his 3 seasons and we never managed a win. The inability to put together a consistent winning or unbeaten run did for him, though if Evans hadn’t come in, he would probably have been with us for another season or two, I suspect. Unfortunately, he was just as inconsistent with money to spend as he had been when working on a budget. It “only” needed to someone to get us performing better by another 10-15% on Evans’s money and we’d have been set. But apart from McCarthy’s better years, we’ve been performing at a level way below what we could do under Jim for over a decade now.
[Post edited 5 Apr 2020 17:45]
Magilton as a manger on 18:05 - Apr 5 with 1080 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Miss him as a player. Not as a manager though.

Large number of people really appreciate the job he did for us. What for? Give Joe Royle money Magilton would spend and with a decent manager in Royle we would have been a Premier League team.

He had started the rot that was accerelated by Keane and particularly Jewell. In his last season with us we were a dreary, declining, average midtable outfit. People underline that 3-2 win over Norwich but no-one mentions that 0-2 defeat to them, us 'fookin loaded' team against the army of loanees Norwich were. 12 points from the top 6 after spending loads of money !!! We had been no threat for the top teams in the league. And some people imply he would have got us promoted had he stayed longer. Why? What has he done in management to say he would have been a success for us.

Blamed everyone and everything except himself when things were going wrong. Plenty of poor signings but he wasn't open to criticise his own decisions. https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/jim-i-ve-never-made-a-bad-signing-1-168822

He's done nothing in management.
[Post edited 5 Apr 2020 18:07]
Magilton as a manger on 18:10 - Apr 5 with 1067 viewspointofblue

I thought Magilton was a very good manager under Sheepshanks, when he was working on an exceptionally tight budget. He was pretty poor after Evans took over; he seemed to struggle with the expectations which is why his appointment at Queens Park Rangers took me by surprise - the pressure was even greater there.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Magilton as a manger on 18:11 - Apr 5 with 1062 viewsSwansea_Blue

I'd be happy with just 'average' now!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Magilton as a manger on 18:30 - Apr 5 with 1031 viewsPendejo

Magilton as a manger on 18:10 - Apr 5 by pointofblue

I thought Magilton was a very good manager under Sheepshanks, when he was working on an exceptionally tight budget. He was pretty poor after Evans took over; he seemed to struggle with the expectations which is why his appointment at Queens Park Rangers took me by surprise - the pressure was even greater there.

I can't help feeling he was developing nicely. He had worked under some good coaches / managers, and as you say seemed to get the most out of a limited budget and it was the "lottery win" of the Evans money that was the beginning of the end.

I'd happily settle for a rewind to the days of Jim and give him another season.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Magilton as a manger on 18:32 - Apr 5 with 1025 viewsChurchman

Not a great manager for me. His subsequent efforts show that it really wasn’t his thing. Good player though! Who can ever forget his play off performance against Bolton. He was really good for the club from a playing perspective.
Magilton as a manger on 19:05 - Apr 5 with 993 viewsjeera

I thought he was about to burst into song.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Magilton as a manger on 19:34 - Apr 5 with 967 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

I,m sure the baby Jesus would be able to answer that.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Magilton as a manger on 21:23 - Apr 5 with 886 viewsstonojnr

Magilton as a manger on 15:39 - Apr 5 by Dubtractor

he was very much still in player/captain mode, rather than manager mode, so he kicked every ball on the pitch, and would go ballistic if a player did something wrong on the pitch that he felt he could have done better.

cant remember who it was must have been one of the older players who'd played alongside him though in an interview saying they got so fed up of Magilton shouting at them from the touchlines, that they just started to ignore him, and thats the problem, Magilton went from being one of the senior pros in the dressing room, to being the boss, he'd probably have been far better going off as per his original plan to manage a different club somewhere else, clean slate, no baggage etc whilst always perhaps with an eye on coming back one day once he'd proven his managerial credentials.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024