Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees 10:20 - May 2 with 7815 viewsGlasgowBlue

John Stirk. Played in our 3-0 win against Barcelona in 1977.

Can’t remember a thing about him.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 16:01 - May 2 with 1496 viewsPhilTWTD

Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 14:39 - May 2 by TrumptonBlue

For many years, I was under the impression that John Linford was one of those players who made it to the fringe of the first team without ever actually getting a game, but then I discovered that he played in both legs of the UEFA Cup tie with Roma in 82/83.

Went on to play in Holland, now runs a pub in Norwich.
Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 16:03 - May 2 with 1495 viewsPhilTWTD

Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 15:04 - May 2 by PJH

Bobby Robson's last signing for ITFC I think but his only appearance was as a sub in the second leg.

I always thought David Barnes was Bobby Robson's last signing.
Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 16:10 - May 2 with 1489 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 11:02 - May 2 by Dennyx4

Andy Bernal - was about just after we got relegated from Division one.

Only played a handful of games - centre half? cover for Cranson / Atkins

He was a loan player I believe. Went on to have a good career with Reading.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 16:11 - May 2 with 1489 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 11:03 - May 2 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Sean Friars

Played 20 mins against Crewe in our play off winning season. 2-1 win.

I saw him score a fine free kick at St Albans in the summer of 1999. Right in the top corner. 3-0 win.

Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 16:15 - May 2 with 1488 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 11:02 - May 2 by Dennyx4

Andy Bernal - was about just after we got relegated from Division one.

Only played a handful of games - centre half? cover for Cranson / Atkins

Bernal was circa 1988.

Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 16:17 - May 2 with 1488 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 14:42 - May 2 by Churchman

I think Stirk was Captain of Ipswich’s youth team that won the Youth Cup for the first time. I had, and I think still have, a hardback book produced around 73 or 74 given to me as a present and in it is a a picture of that team with a very young George Burley.

My forgotten player: the late Ian Redford. He was not a bad player, looking back. Played 68 times for us and scored 8 goals. He sadly committed suicide at the relatively young age of 53
[Post edited 2 May 2020 14:52]

He was a fine player for Rangers and Dundee Utd. He was a bit past his best when he came to Town but he was a decent player for us. He became good mates with Sergei Baltacha.

Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 16:21 - May 2 with 1484 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Stuart Niven. He played two games in a row, one against Barnsley. Around 1996.

It was around the time Kieron Dyer was coming through. Niven was highly rated as well but never made it.

Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 16:22 - May 2 with 1485 viewsPJH

Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 16:03 - May 2 by PhilTWTD

I always thought David Barnes was Bobby Robson's last signing.

Yes,you are right not sure why I thought it was John Linford-John Barnes was signed in last week of 1981/82 season so never actually played under SBR.

Thanks for pointing out my error, I won't tell everyone that I pointed out your error yesterday.
Login to get fewer ads

Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 16:25 - May 2 with 1482 viewsLord_Lucan

Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 16:01 - May 2 by PhilTWTD

Went on to play in Holland, now runs a pub in Norwich.

Do you know what pub?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 16:50 - May 2 with 1456 viewsTrumptonBlue

Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 15:04 - May 2 by PJH

Bobby Robson's last signing for ITFC I think but his only appearance was as a sub in the second leg.

Sorry, you're right, it was just the second leg.
Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 17:00 - May 2 with 1441 viewsrgp1

Didn't leo cotterill play in a premier league game against Arsenal at highbury!
Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 17:00 - May 2 with 1435 viewsjaykay

bruce twamley
ron wigg

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 17:12 - May 2 with 1434 viewsFifeITFC

Chris Neville, made his one and only game in goal in John Duncan's last game in charge as we won 3-1 at West Brom on the final day of the season.

Poll: Lambert goes, would you prefer an ex-Town connection replacement or not?

Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 17:18 - May 2 with 1430 viewsPhilTWTD

Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 16:25 - May 2 by Lord_Lucan

Do you know what pub?

A quick search suggests he's currently at the York Tavern but if you have a Google of his name and Norwich pub it seems he's had a few over the years.
Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 17:29 - May 2 with 1425 viewsLord_Lucan

Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 17:18 - May 2 by PhilTWTD

A quick search suggests he's currently at the York Tavern but if you have a Google of his name and Norwich pub it seems he's had a few over the years.

York Tavern is an absolutely cracking pub in a real nice part of Nodge, it's a bit like Notting Hill round there.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 17:38 - May 2 with 1409 viewsblueprint

Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 17:29 - May 2 by Lord_Lucan

York Tavern is an absolutely cracking pub in a real nice part of Nodge, it's a bit like Notting Hill round there.

Notting hill nowadays I’m guessing.
Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 17:38 - May 2 with 1407 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Terry Austin.,
1 goal in 19 games in 3 years, part of the deal that involved Paul Mariner coming to Town from Plymouth Argyle.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 17:42 - May 2 with 1402 viewsblueprint

Chris O’Donnell
Cor lems ( did he ever play) ?
Tony Kinsella
[Post edited 2 May 2020 17:43]
Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 17:44 - May 2 with 1395 viewsNthQldITFC

Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 10:51 - May 2 by PJH

He is when I google him.

You are not doing Spike Milligna the well known typing error are you Keon?

I told you I was Lil!

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 17:48 - May 2 with 1388 viewsLord_Lucan

Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 17:38 - May 2 by blueprint

Notting hill nowadays I’m guessing.

It's in what they call The Golden Triangle.

Very nice part.

Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 17:52 - May 2 with 1382 viewsGlasgowBlue

Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 13:31 - May 2 by Lord_Lucan

Tommy Parkin was on the bench in the UEFA Cup 2nd leg.

I bumped into him in the Fat Cat a few years back, he is / was a painter and decorator.

My nomination is Ipswich legend and good friend Andy Crane who went to Shrewsbury and broke David Moyes leg in training.

He made his debut in our 5-0 thrashing by Forest in the Charity Shield.

Edit. Tommy Parkin. Not Andy Crane.
[Post edited 2 May 2020 17:53]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 18:34 - May 2 with 1361 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 17:42 - May 2 by blueprint

Chris O’Donnell
Cor lems ( did he ever play) ?
Tony Kinsella
[Post edited 2 May 2020 17:43]

Cor Lems and Tony Kinsella were amongst a bunch of players we had straight after the glory days who never made it. David Barnes was another one. Putney, Brennan, Zondervan, Wilson, Cranson, Yallop, D'Avray and Dozzell came in and replaced the legends but those other guys obviously lacked the talent to make it as first team players.

Chris O'Donnell was a poor centre half from what I saw of him, that included a 3-5 reserve defeat to Brighton when we led 3-0. Gerry Armstrong scored a hat-trick for Brighton.
[Post edited 2 May 2020 18:35]

Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 19:10 - May 2 with 1343 viewsTrequartista

Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 11:03 - May 2 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Sean Friars

He arrived on the same day as an even more forgotten player whose name i've erm forgotten. Terry somebody from Arsenal reserves.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 19:11 - May 2 with 1339 viewsTrequartista

Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 10:41 - May 2 by Radlett_blue

Tommy Parkin. He spent 14 years at Town & in that time he only played 70 first team games. Never really looked good enough, but for some reason we kept giving him a new contract. Another one unearthed from the North East - who was our scout up there?

Noel Parkinson was often an unused sub on the UEFA Cup 5 substitute bench alongside him.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 19:14 - May 2 with 1334 viewsgainsboroughblue

Forgotten Ipswich players - No loanees on 18:34 - May 2 by The_Last_Baron

Cor Lems and Tony Kinsella were amongst a bunch of players we had straight after the glory days who never made it. David Barnes was another one. Putney, Brennan, Zondervan, Wilson, Cranson, Yallop, D'Avray and Dozzell came in and replaced the legends but those other guys obviously lacked the talent to make it as first team players.

Chris O'Donnell was a poor centre half from what I saw of him, that included a 3-5 reserve defeat to Brighton when we led 3-0. Gerry Armstrong scored a hat-trick for Brighton.
[Post edited 2 May 2020 18:35]

Chris O'Donnell was bizarrely signed by Leeds in the summer before their Div Two title win. Don't think he played in their first team though.

I just remember his cracking own goal on the opening day of the season v Villa.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024