Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why is everyone so against Mike Ashley taking over ITFC? 21:39 - May 25 with 8986 viewsBrixtonBlue

He couldn't do a worse job than Evans, surely? He has pots of money. Morally and ethically we're already well down the river.

So what's the issue?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Why is everyone so against Mike Ashley taking over ITFC? on 09:15 - May 26 with 1841 viewsfooters

Why is everyone so against Mike Ashley taking over ITFC? on 09:11 - May 26 by GaryCooper

The TWTD 'Rads' would fully embrace a Saudi prince owning ITFC but wet their Pampers over Mike Ashley.

Why do people say this when it's patently untrue?

I know for you it's some kind of ongoing culture war thing to prove how much of a not-libtard you are, but people would be rightly angry if the Saudis took over too.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Why is everyone so against Mike Ashley taking over ITFC? on 09:17 - May 26 with 1832 viewsfooters

Why is everyone so against Mike Ashley taking over ITFC? on 09:02 - May 26 by BrixtonBlue

I wasn't talking about the club itself. Lot's of people have spoken about the ethics of what Marcus Evans business is all about, I just wondered what's so bad about Ashley's in that regard.

Marcus Evans, to my knowledge, doesn't employ tens of thousands of people on zero-hours contracts in awful workhouse conditions, while Mike Ashley's made a career out of it.

And therein lies the difference. Pretty much all capitalism is immoral at some point, it's just MA's is far more abhorrent than ME's.

Why is everyone so against Mike Ashley taking over ITFC? on 09:20 - May 26 with 1826 viewsBrixtonBlue

Why is everyone so against Mike Ashley taking over ITFC? on 09:17 - May 26 by footers

Marcus Evans, to my knowledge, doesn't employ tens of thousands of people on zero-hours contracts in awful workhouse conditions, while Mike Ashley's made a career out of it.

And therein lies the difference. Pretty much all capitalism is immoral at some point, it's just MA's is far more abhorrent than ME's.

I'm sure working in a Sports Direct shop isn't a barrel of laughs, but surely "workhouse conditions" is a bit OTT?

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Why is everyone so against Mike Ashley taking over ITFC? on 09:21 - May 26 with 1823 viewsGuthrum

Why is everyone so against Mike Ashley taking over ITFC? on 09:02 - May 26 by BrixtonBlue

I wasn't talking about the club itself. Lot's of people have spoken about the ethics of what Marcus Evans business is all about, I just wondered what's so bad about Ashley's in that regard.

The main accusations against Evans' business seem to be that he tried to circumvent the monopolistic tie-up between the IOC authorities and Brazilian officials (as he had reputedly done with Wimbledon strawberries in his youth) and that among the many conferences he has hosted have been some for arms dealers. Also that by basing his international parent company abroad, he is avoiding UK tax.

Ashley has had his own travails with tax authorities, notably in Belgium: https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-7947057/Mike-Ashleys-renamed . There are accusations of him attempting to destroy rival companies: https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/sep/02/mike-ashley-wants-to-eliminate- . His reputation for staff relations and conditions is notorious: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/sports-direct-mike-ashley-worke .

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Why is everyone so against Mike Ashley taking over ITFC? on 09:23 - May 26 with 1813 viewsfooters

Why is everyone so against Mike Ashley taking over ITFC? on 09:20 - May 26 by BrixtonBlue

I'm sure working in a Sports Direct shop isn't a barrel of laughs, but surely "workhouse conditions" is a bit OTT?

You haven't read how he runs his warehouses?

Why is everyone so against Mike Ashley taking over ITFC? on 09:26 - May 26 with 1803 viewsBrixtonBlue

Why is everyone so against Mike Ashley taking over ITFC? on 09:21 - May 26 by Guthrum

The main accusations against Evans' business seem to be that he tried to circumvent the monopolistic tie-up between the IOC authorities and Brazilian officials (as he had reputedly done with Wimbledon strawberries in his youth) and that among the many conferences he has hosted have been some for arms dealers. Also that by basing his international parent company abroad, he is avoiding UK tax.

Ashley has had his own travails with tax authorities, notably in Belgium: https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-7947057/Mike-Ashleys-renamed . There are accusations of him attempting to destroy rival companies: https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/sep/02/mike-ashley-wants-to-eliminate- . His reputation for staff relations and conditions is notorious: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/sports-direct-mike-ashley-worke .

So not a huge difference between the two then?

Why is everyone so against Mike Ashley taking over ITFC? on 09:29 - May 26 with 1802 viewsPhilTWTD

Why is everyone so against Mike Ashley taking over ITFC? on 09:05 - May 26 by DanTheMan

On a related note, is there actually anything in him being interested in us specifically, or just a rumour?

No, just the Sunday Mirror story and then some social media speculation. I've had an ask about and not heard anything to suggest there's anything in it being us.
Why is everyone so against Mike Ashley taking over ITFC? on 09:58 - May 26 with 1761 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Why is everyone so against Mike Ashley taking over ITFC? on 08:00 - May 26 by GeoffSentence

It's not equivalent at all. Newcastle have been bouncing about between the top and second tiers for pretty much all their history. This is the first time we have been at these depths in 62 years.

Fair point if you go back a while but in modern football terms I’d suggest Newcastle are firmly a PL club and we’re firmly a Championship one

Indeed at the point Ashley took over at Newcastle they were very much an established PL side with aspirations of challenging at the top end of the table - finishing positions included 3rd, 4th, 5th and 7th in the 6 seasons prior. Meanwhile we we were a Championship side whose recent finishes included 3rd, 5th and 7th

We’ve both stagnated under our respective owners, including ultimately being relegated. The only real difference is they then got back up whereas we have failed to do so so far, so personally I really don’t think there is a lot in it, they’ve both been well, cr*p

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Login to get fewer ads

Why is everyone so against Mike Ashley taking over ITFC? on 10:18 - May 26 with 1747 viewsGuthrum

Why is everyone so against Mike Ashley taking over ITFC? on 09:26 - May 26 by BrixtonBlue

So not a huge difference between the two then?

Except I might suggest Evans' offences have been blown up to rather more than they perhaps amount to. Whereas Ashley has been repeatedly hauled before courts and censured by national politicians or union leaders for his.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Why is everyone so against Mike Ashley taking over ITFC? on 10:20 - May 26 with 1738 viewsSwansea_Blue

Why is everyone so against Mike Ashley taking over ITFC? on 09:15 - May 26 by footers

Why do people say this when it's patently untrue?

I know for you it's some kind of ongoing culture war thing to prove how much of a not-libtard you are, but people would be rightly angry if the Saudis took over too.

Oh I don't know. I wouldn't lose my head over it.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Why is everyone so against Mike Ashley taking over ITFC? on 10:23 - May 26 with 1733 viewsGeoffSentence

Why is everyone so against Mike Ashley taking over ITFC? on 09:05 - May 26 by DanTheMan

On a related note, is there actually anything in him being interested in us specifically, or just a rumour?

He has been quoted as saying that he was interested in buying lower level EFL club, one that had won the league and FA cup but had fallen down the leagues.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Why is everyone so against Mike Ashley taking over ITFC? on 11:58 - May 26 with 1675 viewsSpruceMoose

Why is everyone so against Mike Ashley taking over ITFC? on 09:11 - May 26 by GaryCooper

The TWTD 'Rads' would fully embrace a Saudi prince owning ITFC but wet their Pampers over Mike Ashley.

Silly boy.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Why is everyone so against Mike Ashley taking over ITFC? on 12:11 - May 26 with 1665 viewsclive_baker

Why is everyone so against Mike Ashley taking over ITFC? on 07:54 - May 26 by Guthrum

How far are we 'morally and ethically ... down the river'?

Is there much evidence that we don't treat our players and staff reasonably well? We do fulfil our obligation to look after the injured, even beyond the end of contracts. We run a well-regarded Academy. Players may leave for more money or game-time, but we don't get ugly public battles trying to force them out or to stay.

Disputes with creditors seem to get settled before actually ending up in court (that we hear about).

Generally speaking, the club's vote has been on the right side of issues in recent years (FFP, Youth matters).

This is the bit I don't really understand. Evans has been a crap owner in the respect that he's largely made terrible managerial appointments, but I don't see how we're in any way immoral. He's someone who has made an awful lot of money through corporate events, he's always come across very well in his time here, numerous charitable endeavours, remained loyal to his staff (too loyal in some cases), operated the club on a sound and sustainable financial footing and behaved responsibly with our stakeholders. I know a number of people to have worked with / for him and none have a bad word to say.

There was once an investigation into a touting accusation at the Rio Olympics if I remember rightly, which I don't recall concluding any wrong doing on Evans' part. I get the impression it's more a combination of his wealth, his registered place of residence and his spectacular inability to appoint a decent manager to a football club that are influencing peoples bias here.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Why is everyone so against Mike Ashley taking over ITFC? on 12:13 - May 26 with 1658 viewsPhilTWTD

Why is everyone so against Mike Ashley taking over ITFC? on 10:23 - May 26 by GeoffSentence

He has been quoted as saying that he was interested in buying lower level EFL club, one that had won the league and FA cup but had fallen down the leagues.

Was he quoted? Thought it was just reported that he was showing interest in a club of that profile.
Why is everyone so against Mike Ashley taking over ITFC? on 12:18 - May 26 with 1643 viewsRyorry

Why is everyone so against Mike Ashley taking over ITFC? on 07:49 - May 26 by BryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

They got just as rounded on & denounced, if not more so, by many of us on those threads too.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Why is everyone so against Mike Ashley taking over ITFC? on 12:20 - May 26 with 1639 viewsclive_baker

Why is everyone so against Mike Ashley taking over ITFC? on 09:29 - May 26 by PhilTWTD

No, just the Sunday Mirror story and then some social media speculation. I've had an ask about and not heard anything to suggest there's anything in it being us.

He is buying a house on the Suffolk / Essex border.

I suspect he has a number of houses though, so not sure too much could be read into that.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Why is everyone so against Mike Ashley taking over ITFC? on 13:53 - May 26 with 1562 viewsBluefish

Why is everyone so against Mike Ashley taking over ITFC? on 22:14 - May 25 by monytowbray

If it happens I won't be supporting ITFC again until he's gone.

I'll be in a minority and it will kill a part of my soul to make that choice, but any good moment for the club would feel tainted under his leadership.

If I even saw that pr1ck on the pitch at Portman Road I think my p1ss would boil.

Well I was against him taking over until i read the first line of this

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Why is everyone so against Mike Ashley taking over ITFC? on 13:56 - May 26 with 1553 viewsBluefish

Why is everyone so against Mike Ashley taking over ITFC? on 12:20 - May 26 by clive_baker

He is buying a house on the Suffolk / Essex border.

I suspect he has a number of houses though, so not sure too much could be read into that.

the house was in Norfolk a couple of days ago. Is he living with curbishley?

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Why is everyone so against Mike Ashley taking over ITFC? on 14:45 - May 26 with 1514 viewsGeoffSentence

Why is everyone so against Mike Ashley taking over ITFC? on 12:13 - May 26 by PhilTWTD

Was he quoted? Thought it was just reported that he was showing interest in a club of that profile.

oh my oh my oh my. I am contributing to fake news. No indeed, that stuff was reported not quoted.

The quote I have seen, and it was from an unnamed "source" rather than the man himself was along the lines of him saying that he would 'love to invest in a football league club with a sound fanbase and potential to grow', which could be a lot of clubs.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Why is everyone so against Mike Ashley taking over ITFC? on 16:53 - May 26 with 1475 viewsblueconscience

Why is everyone so against Mike Ashley taking over ITFC? on 09:29 - May 26 by PhilTWTD

So we are stuck with Evans forever!!

Poll: What % of ST holders saying they won’t renew, will end up renewing regardless?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024