Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Obama to address the USA across all networks tonight 18:00 - Jun 3 with 15171 viewsElderGrizzly

Trump is going to lose his sh!t 😬

Obama to address the USA across all networks tonight on 18:10 - Jun 3 with 4333 viewsfactual_blue

Not all of it. He has an endless supply.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Obama to address the USA across all networks tonight on 18:28 - Jun 3 with 4285 viewsShawsey

Did he actually change the inequality while in power? Did he change the gun laws like he promised? Great speaker, very charismatic, but did he address the real issues while in power?
Obama to address the USA across all networks tonight on 18:34 - Jun 3 with 4266 viewsElderGrizzly

Obama to address the USA across all networks tonight on 18:28 - Jun 3 by Shawsey

Did he actually change the inequality while in power? Did he change the gun laws like he promised? Great speaker, very charismatic, but did he address the real issues while in power?

He was blocked from making widespread changes to the gun laws by Republicans, but yes he did make changes for the better.
Obama to address the USA across all networks tonight on 18:36 - Jun 3 with 4245 viewsShawsey

Obama to address the USA across all networks tonight on 18:34 - Jun 3 by ElderGrizzly

He was blocked from making widespread changes to the gun laws by Republicans, but yes he did make changes for the better.

On equality?
Obama to address the USA across all networks tonight on 18:39 - Jun 3 with 4229 viewsSpruceMoose

Obama to address the USA across all networks tonight on 18:28 - Jun 3 by Shawsey

You ought to be asking Mitch McConnell why those changes didn't happen.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Obama to address the USA across all networks tonight on 18:39 - Jun 3 with 4232 viewsfooters

Obama to address the USA across all networks tonight on 18:36 - Jun 3 by Shawsey

On equality?

Well, he did give a lot of lower income families access to universal medical care for the first time in their lives. Despite the unbelievable protestations that it was somehow 'communist'.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Obama to address the USA across all networks tonight on 18:40 - Jun 3 with 4222 viewsSpruceMoose

Obama to address the USA across all networks tonight on 18:36 - Jun 3 by Shawsey

On equality?

Take a gander.

https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/the-record/social-progress

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Obama to address the USA across all networks tonight on 18:40 - Jun 3 with 4226 viewsm14_blue

On equality?

Did you expect him to reverse hundreds of years of prejudice in 2 terms?
Login to get fewer ads

Obama to address the USA across all networks tonight on 18:43 - Jun 3 with 4214 viewsSpruceMoose

Obama to address the USA across all networks tonight on 18:40 - Jun 3 by m14_blue

I know black men have to work twice as hard to be seen to have achieved half as much as white men, but that would be a rather large ask!

Obama to address the USA across all networks tonight on 18:46 - Jun 3 with 4206 viewsShawsey

Obama to address the USA across all networks tonight on 18:40 - Jun 3 by SpruceMoose

Take a gander.

https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/the-record/social-progress

Thank you. I was asking the question. I now know the answer is yes he did.
Obama to address the USA across all networks tonight on 18:47 - Jun 3 with 4200 viewsShawsey

Obama to address the USA across all networks tonight on 18:40 - Jun 3 by m14_blue

No, I was asking a question. I now have the answer.
Obama to address the USA across all networks tonight on 18:48 - Jun 3 with 4194 viewsm14_blue

Obama to address the USA across all networks tonight on 18:47 - Jun 3 by Shawsey

No, I was asking a question. I now have the answer.

Fair enough.
Obama to address the USA across all networks tonight on 18:48 - Jun 3 with 4194 viewsNthsuffolkblue

It's almost like Shawsey would say MLK achieved nothing because this is where we are.

As for the OP, it will be very interesting indeed to hear what Obama has to say.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Obama to address the USA across all networks tonight on 18:49 - Jun 3 with 4190 viewsDarth_Koont

Obama to address the USA across all networks tonight on 18:34 - Jun 3 by ElderGrizzly

True. But Shawsey makes a decent point and it's very relevant to the type of politics that tries to work with the establishment rather than try to change it.

Obama sent out a very positive and hopeful message but he didn't really change or undo anything. Just wasn't as bad as the Republicans.

Edit: And just to say that Obama would almost certainly have done more if he'd had the support and numbers in Congress. But that's still the issue: nobody ever gets that unless things are really, really bad or people just give up and let the populism take over.
[Post edited 3 Jun 2020 18:51]

Pronouns: He/Him

Obama to address the USA across all networks tonight on 18:51 - Jun 3 with 4173 viewsSpruceMoose

Obama to address the USA across all networks tonight on 18:49 - Jun 3 by Darth_Koont

True. But Shawsey makes a decent point and it's very relevant to the type of politics that tries to work with the establishment rather than try to change it.

Obama sent out a very positive and hopeful message but he didn't really change or undo anything. Just wasn't as bad as the Republicans.

Edit: And just to say that Obama would almost certainly have done more if he'd had the support and numbers in Congress. But that's still the issue: nobody ever gets that unless things are really, really bad or people just give up and let the populism take over.
[Post edited 3 Jun 2020 18:51]

"but he didn't really change or undo anything"

It's debatable to what extent that is true, but if we accept that what you say is correct that's really the fault of the Republicans in the senate.

Just saw your edit - 100% agree. This is part of the problem of adhering religiously to a set of centuries old rules that could in no way account for the way the world is today.
[Post edited 3 Jun 2020 18:53]

Obama to address the USA across all networks tonight on 18:56 - Jun 3 with 4149 viewsDarth_Koont

Obama to address the USA across all networks tonight on 18:51 - Jun 3 by SpruceMoose

"but he didn't really change or undo anything"

It's debatable to what extent that is true, but if we accept that what you say is correct that's really the fault of the Republicans in the senate.

Just saw your edit - 100% agree. This is part of the problem of adhering religiously to a set of centuries old rules that could in no way account for the way the world is today.
[Post edited 3 Jun 2020 18:53]

Agreed. I realised that just after I posted.

With a big enough majority, I'm sure Obama could have overpowered even the gun-lovin' Democrats to make some serious inroads into gun control. But that sort of legislative dominance is a rare thing indeed.

I believe his heart and his will were largely in the right place.

Obama to address the USA across all networks tonight on 18:58 - Jun 3 with 4131 viewsSpruceMoose

Obama to address the USA across all networks tonight on 18:56 - Jun 3 by Darth_Koont

Agreed. I realised that just after I posted.

With a big enough majority, I'm sure Obama could have overpowered even the gun-lovin' Democrats to make some serious inroads into gun control. But that sort of legislative dominance is a rare thing indeed.

I believe his heart and his will were largely in the right place.

Above anything else he at least seemed to be a thoughtful and compassionate man, and I would like to think that some of the more difficult decisions he took (the use of drones etc.) probably still weigh on his shoulders today.

Obama to address the USA across all networks tonight on 19:00 - Jun 3 with 4137 viewseastangliaisblue

You only have to watch Obamas antics with the Flint water poisoning scandal to see he was just another puppet.
Obama to address the USA across all networks tonight on 19:01 - Jun 3 with 4113 viewsShawsey

Obama to address the USA across all networks tonight on 18:48 - Jun 3 by Nthsuffolkblue

It's almost like Shawsey would say MLK achieved nothing because this is where we are.

As for the OP, it will be very interesting indeed to hear what Obama has to say.

One should never assume anything.
Obama to address the USA across all networks tonight on 19:03 - Jun 3 with 4102 viewsSpruceMoose

Obama to address the USA across all networks tonight on 19:00 - Jun 3 by eastangliaisblue

You only have to watch Obamas antics with the Flint water poisoning scandal to see he was just another puppet.

Who was pulling the strings? He seems like the kind of man who would own his own mistakes.

Obama to address the USA across all networks tonight on 19:09 - Jun 3 with 4075 viewseastangliaisblue

Obama to address the USA across all networks tonight on 19:03 - Jun 3 by SpruceMoose

Who was pulling the strings? He seems like the kind of man who would own his own mistakes.

Big business as usual. Have you seen what he done when he flew into Flint to address the community there?
Bullsh!t.... on 19:10 - Jun 3 with 4060 viewsunstableblue

Obama to address the USA across all networks tonight on 19:00 - Jun 3 by eastangliaisblue

... he drove hard for gun control, and in now way was a puppet to NRA or establishment:

Now here is someone even worse than a puppet:

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Obama to address the USA across all networks tonight on 19:10 - Jun 3 with 4062 viewsBlueBadger

Choo Choo! The Whatabouttery train is now arriving at Platform 5!

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Obama to address the USA across all networks tonight on 19:11 - Jun 3 with 4052 viewsDarth_Koont

Obama to address the USA across all networks tonight on 18:58 - Jun 3 by SpruceMoose

Above anything else he at least seemed to be a thoughtful and compassionate man, and I would like to think that some of the more difficult decisions he took (the use of drones etc.) probably still weigh on his shoulders today.

Definitely. Compassion was the most critical aspect of his presidency IMO but he was also the President of a country that has spent decades throwing its weight around. It's sort of in the job description to keep doing that, but Obama certainly wasn't the worst on that score.

I'm not an idealist, I'm a pragmatist waiting for our politicians, media and too many of our electorate to catch up with self-evident truths. I just don't have the patience.

So for Obama, I don't blame the player, I blame the game.

Obama to address the USA across all networks tonight on 19:13 - Jun 3 with 4037 viewsSpruceMoose

Obama to address the USA across all networks tonight on 19:09 - Jun 3 by eastangliaisblue

Big business as usual. Have you seen what he done when he flew into Flint to address the community there?

He drank some (filtered) water?
[Post edited 3 Jun 2020 19:14]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024