Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
One club 'turned' in the vote 15:04 - Jun 10 with 4998 viewsurbanblue

Just been having a nose around a couple of forums to see the reaction and on RTG Sunderland fans are discussing the vote. It seems it was 18-4-1 which would appear that one club voted for a finish despite claiming publicly that they wanted to continue.

There appears to have been hints that it was us.

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/the-vote-was-18-4-1.1519944/
One club 'turned' in the vote on 15:12 - Jun 10 with 4909 viewsclive_baker

You busy c***

Nah in all seriousness it wouldn't surprise me if it was Pompey. Sunderland, Peterborough and Tranmere would almost certainly have rather carried on, I can't think why they wouldn't? Pompey are in the playoffs anyway, and will probably quite fancy their chances in them. They also had away trips to Oxford, ourselves (ooh, tough one!) and Rotherham to go, so a guaranteed P/O spot is probably a decent result for them.

It's either us or Pompey, Shirley?

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

One club 'turned' in the vote on 15:43 - Jun 10 with 4805 viewsurbanblue

One club 'turned' in the vote on 15:12 - Jun 10 by clive_baker

You busy c***

Nah in all seriousness it wouldn't surprise me if it was Pompey. Sunderland, Peterborough and Tranmere would almost certainly have rather carried on, I can't think why they wouldn't? Pompey are in the playoffs anyway, and will probably quite fancy their chances in them. They also had away trips to Oxford, ourselves (ooh, tough one!) and Rotherham to go, so a guaranteed P/O spot is probably a decent result for them.

Channeling the dearly missed Harry aren't I.

I would have thought it would be Portsmouth too but their thread says they have confirmed they voted to play on along with Peterborough although I had a quick look and can't find that. Also in an interview the Sunderland CEO hinted that it was Town and the guy from The Athletic said it was us or Tranmere.
One club 'turned' in the vote on 18:02 - Jun 10 with 4572 viewspointofblue

Why would we have voted to finish rather than play on? Like Peterborough and Sunderland, we have nothing to gain by finishing. Tranmere would be a bit odd too unless they were hoping to push Margin of Error through in return for voting for the season to end?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

One club 'turned' in the vote on 18:14 - Jun 10 with 4522 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

One club 'turned' in the vote on 18:02 - Jun 10 by pointofblue

Why would we have voted to finish rather than play on? Like Peterborough and Sunderland, we have nothing to gain by finishing. Tranmere would be a bit odd too unless they were hoping to push Margin of Error through in return for voting for the season to end?

Because it would cost us money to play the games and statistically our chances of making the playoffs were minuscule

If true seemingly the public desire to play on was a smokescreen to strengthen our argument for an expanded playoff

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

One club 'turned' in the vote on 18:15 - Jun 10 with 4527 viewsSomethingBlue

Town definitely wanted to play on, that never changed, they are wrong.

The big battle now is to restart in September and everything I hear at the moment suggests we should be pretty pessimistic about that happening; this really isn't good at all.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

One club 'turned' in the vote on 18:20 - Jun 10 with 4491 viewspointofblue

One club 'turned' in the vote on 18:14 - Jun 10 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Because it would cost us money to play the games and statistically our chances of making the playoffs were minuscule

If true seemingly the public desire to play on was a smokescreen to strengthen our argument for an expanded playoff

Ah I see - yes, there is a logic behind that. Not that the vote made any difference.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

One club 'turned' in the vote on 18:27 - Jun 10 with 4467 viewsTrequartista

So all the clubs who ended up in the play-offs voted to end the season? Why are they going to be allowed to play in them then?

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

One club 'turned' in the vote on 19:27 - Jun 10 with 4339 viewsitfcjoe

Tranmere, us, Peterborough and Sunderland were most vocal about playing on.

At one point Darragh was saying on his podcast that we may make the play offs as Donny don't want to play on so I find that hard to believe.

They say the one is Southend but was Bristol Rovers who had internet problems

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

One club 'turned' in the vote on 19:28 - Jun 10 with 4329 viewsjonbull88

One club 'turned' in the vote on 18:15 - Jun 10 by SomethingBlue

Town definitely wanted to play on, that never changed, they are wrong.

The big battle now is to restart in September and everything I hear at the moment suggests we should be pretty pessimistic about that happening; this really isn't good at all.

Truth of it they can’t start the season now can they. They whole argument for stopping now was based on not being able to afford to play behind closed doors. That won’t change surely in 2 months as fans won’t be let in for a while yet.
One club 'turned' in the vote on 22:36 - Jun 10 with 4124 viewsbournemouthblue

You busy c***

I've heard suggestions it was Pompey although Pompey were claiming they had voted for it to continue

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

One club 'turned' in the vote on 23:11 - Jun 10 with 4036 viewsElderGrizzly

Almost certainly, the extended playoff plan wasn’t really actually ours but Peterboroughs.

MacAnthony is not liked within EFL leadership whereas Evans is respected. We aimply helped push his idea
[Post edited 10 Jun 2020 23:12]
One club 'turned' in the vote on 23:15 - Jun 10 with 4019 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

One club 'turned' in the vote on 23:11 - Jun 10 by ElderGrizzly

Almost certainly, the extended playoff plan wasn’t really actually ours but Peterboroughs.

MacAnthony is not liked within EFL leadership whereas Evans is respected. We aimply helped push his idea

We would have been firmly doing their bidding for them then, as The Athletic have reported that it was us that tables the amendment that would basically allow anyone to be included in the playoffs that was keen to take part in them
[Post edited 10 Jun 2020 23:16]

One club 'turned' in the vote on 09:37 - Jun 11 with 3757 viewsPhilTWTD

One club 'turned' in the vote on 23:15 - Jun 10 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

We would have been firmly doing their bidding for them then, as The Athletic have reported that it was us that tables the amendment that would basically allow anyone to be included in the playoffs that was keen to take part in them
[Post edited 10 Jun 2020 23:16]

Our amendment wasn't regarding a specific play-off set-up, although various scenarios had been discussed, but that given the current extraordinary circumstances clubs should for this season only have a say on a revised formula for the play-offs and that any proposal with the support of at least six other clubs should go to a vote.

I think in general ME felt those clubs who wanted to play on should be able to play on.

This post has been edited by an administrator
One club 'turned' in the vote on 09:48 - Jun 11 with 3726 viewsPhilTWTD

One club 'turned' in the vote on 19:27 - Jun 10 by itfcjoe

Tranmere, us, Peterborough and Sunderland were most vocal about playing on.

At one point Darragh was saying on his podcast that we may make the play offs as Donny don't want to play on so I find that hard to believe.

They say the one is Southend but was Bristol Rovers who had internet problems

That makes sense as Bristol Rovers were reported to have wanted to play on.
One club 'turned' in the vote on 10:44 - Jun 11 with 3634 viewsSuffolkPOSH

One club 'turned' in the vote on 23:11 - Jun 10 by ElderGrizzly

The extended playoff plan was actually proposed by Tranmere, not Posh, as part of their overall proposal which included there being no relegation this season.
One club 'turned' in the vote on 10:53 - Jun 11 with 3616 viewsgainsboroughblue

One club 'turned' in the vote on 10:44 - Jun 11 by SuffolkPOSH

The extended playoff plan was actually proposed by Tranmere, not Posh, as part of their overall proposal which included there being no relegation this season.

It's definitely Posh and Tranmere that have suffered most with this conclusion.

You were starting to look a little bit nailed on for top two imo with the form being shown.

We on the other hand, have been an utter embarrassment.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

One club 'turned' in the vote on 11:31 - Jun 11 with 3555 viewsChrisd

You busy c***

Makes sense if it was Pompey to secure their play off position through PPG. Tactical voting, well played.
[Post edited 11 Jun 2020 11:42]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

One club 'turned' in the vote on 11:32 - Jun 11 with 3550 viewsPhilTWTD

One club 'turned' in the vote on 09:48 - Jun 11 by PhilTWTD

That makes sense as Bristol Rovers were reported to have wanted to play on.

Oh, and those four were the four.
One club 'turned' in the vote on 11:35 - Jun 11 with 3526 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

One club 'turned' in the vote on 09:37 - Jun 11 by PhilTWTD

Our amendment wasn't regarding a specific play-off set-up, although various scenarios had been discussed, but that given the current extraordinary circumstances clubs should for this season only have a say on a revised formula for the play-offs and that any proposal with the support of at least six other clubs should go to a vote.

I think in general ME felt those clubs who wanted to play on should be able to play on.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Interesting although that’s not what has been reported elsewhere - as per my other thread it was reported by Matt Slater on The Athletic as follows?

‘The third came from League One’s upwardly-mobile but unavoidably mediocre Ipswich Town, who effectively wanted to open the play-offs to anyone keen to take part in them. This was the suggestion described by one EFL club boss as “insane”.’

One club 'turned' in the vote on 15:38 - Jun 11 with 3391 viewsChrisd

One club 'turned' in the vote on 11:35 - Jun 11 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Interesting although that’s not what has been reported elsewhere - as per my other thread it was reported by Matt Slater on The Athletic as follows?

‘The third came from League One’s upwardly-mobile but unavoidably mediocre Ipswich Town, who effectively wanted to open the play-offs to anyone keen to take part in them. This was the suggestion described by one EFL club boss as “insane”.’

‘Tinpot’ would’ve been a better adjective to describe us in that article.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

One club 'turned' in the vote on 15:54 - Jun 11 with 3364 viewsPhilTWTD

One club 'turned' in the vote on 11:35 - Jun 11 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I think 'effectively' is probably the notable word in that. I think Town's plan would led to something akin to that but the amendment was aimed at clubs looking at and voting on various potential scenarios which might have been put forward.

From what I'm told ME's aim was to settle matters on the pitch if it was at all possible and extended play-offs or an end-of-season tournament for those that wanted to play on would have fitted that bill.
One club 'turned' in the vote on 16:31 - Jun 11 with 3285 viewsSuffolkPOSH

One club 'turned' in the vote on 10:53 - Jun 11 by gainsboroughblue

It's definitely Posh and Tranmere that have suffered most with this conclusion.

You were starting to look a little bit nailed on for top two imo with the form being shown.

We on the other hand, have been an utter embarrassment.

Our biggest complaint has been the fact that the PPG system didn't take into account the difference in number home and away games remaining and if PPG had been calculated separately for home & away games we would have finished 5th. Also Wycombe's spare game which they got over 1 point was against Coventry and considering both teams form you wouldn't have put your house on Wycombe winning that game. Another point of contention was that our next game was against Bolton and several of our remaining, I think 6 out of the last 9 were against teams in the bottom half of the table. There was never any guarantee what teams form would have been like after the lay off but we didn't furloughed our players and were up for challenge where as I suspect other teams were already acting like the season was over and munching on takeaways and having a few beers.

The EFL & especially Rick Parry have been a joke and lacked any leadership and just passed the decision making onto the clubs, I suspect to avoid legal liability. Teams naturally voted in their best interests whether that be for financial reasons or guaranteeng the best finishing position to ensure either a playoff position or staying out of the relegation zone. The team who benefited the most is Wycombe, a team in poor form and with a tough run in. The sad thing for Posh is that we have already lost to great loan signings Szmodics and Thompson and will soon lose Toney.

I must admit I was surprised Ipswich were one of the 6 clubs originally wanting to play out the remaining games considering their position as the playoffs were a bit of a long shot considering the number of points they were behind and considering their form.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024