Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sir Bob 22:08 - Jun 29 with 4256 viewsitfcjoe

Fair to say his greatest achievement as a manager was winning the UEFA Cup here in 81?

Won titles in Holland and Portugal, but with big clubs....

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Sir Bob on 22:10 - Jun 29 with 2059 viewsbournemouthblue

did he not actually win anything with Barca?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Sir Bob on 22:15 - Jun 29 with 2031 viewsgainsboroughblue

Sir Bob on 22:10 - Jun 29 by bournemouthblue

Just the cup-winners cup. They won La Liga but he had moved upstairs as Director of Football or whatever title it had there.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Sir Bob on 22:25 - Jun 29 with 1994 viewsitfcjoe

Sir Bob on 22:10 - Jun 29 by bournemouthblue

Only a season there and won the Cup Winners Cup and I think the Spanish Cup before being moved upstairs

Sir Bob on 22:57 - Jun 29 with 1937 viewsdavblue

Sir Bob on 22:25 - Jun 29 by itfcjoe

Only a season there and won the Cup Winners Cup and I think the Spanish Cup before being moved upstairs

And the Spanish super cup.

And he took Ronaldo there. He was sensational in that period, I actually think if he hadn't had all of those bad injuries he would be talked about in the C Ronaldo and Messi levels of greatness.

He was the 1st footballer I remember being wowed by.
Sir Bob on 23:03 - Jun 29 with 1918 viewsHerbivore

Sir Bob on 22:57 - Jun 29 by davblue

And he took Ronaldo there. He was sensational in that period, I actually think if he hadn't had all of those bad injuries he would be talked about in the C Ronaldo and Messi levels of greatness.

The only thing CR7 has over Ronaldo is longevity for me. If you're talking purely about ability, Ronaldo in his pomp was the better player imo.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Sir Bob on 08:31 - Jun 30 with 1683 viewsitfcjoe

My favourite of all time, just the absolute best to watch.

Messi and CR7 are obviously better with what they've done for so long, and how CR has constantly reinvented himself - but I just loved watching Ronaldo the times you could, which was infrequent.

I did see him live for Brazil in the 2006 World Cup, when he was a little bit past it, but did manage to sit the keeper on his arse in trademark style to break the World Cup goalscoring record at the end I was so can't complain!

Sir Bob on 09:45 - Jun 30 with 1617 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Being universally loved and respected by different rival factions, domestically and internationally, within and beyond the football world was something of an achievement.

This clip still has me in bits...
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=867834476933523

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Sir Bob on 09:47 - Jun 30 with 1607 viewsKeno

Sir Bob on 09:45 - Jun 30 by Tangledupin_Blue

Being universally loved and respected by different rival factions, domestically and internationally, within and beyond the football world was something of an achievement.

This clip still has me in bits...
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=867834476933523

Very dusty in BN12 all of a sudden

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Login to get fewer ads

Sir Bob on 09:49 - Jun 30 with 1599 viewsBlueBadger

Sir Bob on 23:03 - Jun 29 by Herbivore

The only thing CR7 has over Ronaldo is longevity for me. If you're talking purely about ability, Ronaldo in his pomp was the better player imo.

Amazing that CR7 didn't suffer the career ending injuries that Ronaldo did, given how much he's fallen over on the pitch in his career...
[Post edited 30 Jun 2020 9:54]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Sir Bob on 09:51 - Jun 30 with 1584 viewsPJH

Sir Bob on 09:49 - Jun 30 by BlueBadger

Amazing that CR7 didn't suffer the career ending injuries that Ronaldo did, given how much he's fallen over on the pitch in his career...
[Post edited 30 Jun 2020 9:54]

Usually looking at the camera's and sometimes combing his hair as he falls over.
Sir Bob on 10:11 - Jun 30 with 1535 viewsPendejo

ITFC has to be his greatest achievement full stop. This would be due to relative resources etc. So yes UEFA Cup 81.

Although his titles in Holland and Portugal were with big clubs I'm sure they'd had relatively lean spells beforehand. To the extent that Porto also has a statue of him.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Sir Bob on 10:39 - Jun 30 with 1496 viewsPique

I think Ronaldo should be (and is) talked about in the same bracket as Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo. Between 1996 and 2002 he was probably the best player in the world (along with Zidane), and he was arguably the most complete forward since Pele.

Plus he won the World Cup, which neither Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo have managed.
Sir Bob on 10:44 - Jun 30 with 1487 viewsPique

Sir Bob on 22:25 - Jun 29 by itfcjoe

Winning three trophies in that season with Barcelona, plus signing Ronaldo, was an amazing achievement given the context (following on directly from Cruyff, constant political scheming in the background with moves to unseat him etc).

Taking England to the semi finals in Italia 90 was also a major achievement.

Even turning Newcastle into a Champions League team looks like a miracle in hindsight!

Truth is that he has huge achievements spread throughout his career, but that 1981 season would definitely have to be up there.
Sir Bob on 10:47 - Jun 30 with 1470 viewsElephantintheRoom

Not at all. Winning the UEFA Cup was very much a consolation prize for the best team in the land by a country mile that season.

His greatest achievement was to keep Town in the top division in his first two full seasons - which when you look at the team... top scorer one season was Viljoen with 6 - four of those being penalties.... despite the Portman Road faithful chanting for his dismissal.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Sir Bob on 12:14 - Jun 30 with 1379 viewsdavblue

Sir Bob on 10:39 - Jun 30 by Pique

I think Ronaldo should be (and is) talked about in the same bracket as Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo. Between 1996 and 2002 he was probably the best player in the world (along with Zidane), and he was arguably the most complete forward since Pele.

Plus he won the World Cup, which neither Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo have managed.

I don't agree with that. I never hear him in discussions with them at that level.
Sir Bob on 12:21 - Jun 30 with 1365 viewsRadlett_blue

Sir Bob on 10:11 - Jun 30 by Pendejo

ITFC has to be his greatest achievement full stop. This would be due to relative resources etc. So yes UEFA Cup 81.

Although his titles in Holland and Portugal were with big clubs I'm sure they'd had relatively lean spells beforehand. To the extent that Porto also has a statue of him.

And Newcastle also have a statue of SBR and I hope the current furore might lead to it being pulled down.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Sir Bob on 12:26 - Jun 30 with 1353 viewsRyorry

We became and were a big club with him as our manager is the point for me!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Sir Bob on 12:38 - Jun 30 with 1330 viewsLibero

Sir Bob on 12:21 - Jun 30 by Radlett_blue

And Newcastle also have a statue of SBR and I hope the current furore might lead to it being pulled down.

wut?
Sir Bob on 12:58 - Jun 30 with 1293 viewsRadlett_blue

Sir Bob on 12:38 - Jun 30 by Libero

wut?

Newcastle stupidly sacked SBR as finishing 5th in the Premier League & reaching the UEFA Cup semi final wasn't good enough for them. I found it absurd when they erected a statue of him outside St James's Park in 2012.

Sir Bob on 12:59 - Jun 30 with 1287 viewsHerbivore

Sir Bob on 12:58 - Jun 30 by Radlett_blue

Newcastle stupidly sacked SBR as finishing 5th in the Premier League & reaching the UEFA Cup semi final wasn't good enough for them. I found it absurd when they erected a statue of him outside St James's Park in 2012.

As apologies go I'd say a statue is pretty impressive.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Sir Bob on 13:00 - Jun 30 with 1287 viewsLibero

Yes, I'm aware of Bobby's work, I was more trying to unpick your statue comment.
Sir Bob on 13:03 - Jun 30 with 1285 viewsPique

Sir Bob on 12:14 - Jun 30 by davblue

I don't agree with that. I never hear him in discussions with them at that level.

Fair enough that you don’t agree. But which discussions, out of interest?
Sir Bob on 13:23 - Jun 30 with 1254 viewsElephantintheRoom

Robson was sacked because he had lost all control of the dressing room and was embarrassing the club.

In just one memorable weekend Bellamy was involved in a violent fracas in Cardiff, Dyer was mysteriously absent from a roasting session in London, despite paying for it, and Bramble was involved in the same incident, then found not to have ever bothered with a driving licence.... all rather a long way from Newcastle.

Quite a good piece by Souness in the ST at the weekend..... Newcastle wanted a lion tamer.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Sir Bob on 13:33 - Jun 30 with 1214 viewsdavblue

Sir Bob on 13:03 - Jun 30 by Pique

Fair enough that you don’t agree. But which discussions, out of interest?

Ronaldo being talked about in the same category as Messi and C Ronaldo.
Sir Bob on 14:12 - Jun 30 with 1169 viewsRadlett_blue

Sir Bob on 13:23 - Jun 30 by ElephantintheRoom

Robson was sacked because he had lost all control of the dressing room and was embarrassing the club.

In just one memorable weekend Bellamy was involved in a violent fracas in Cardiff, Dyer was mysteriously absent from a roasting session in London, despite paying for it, and Bramble was involved in the same incident, then found not to have ever bothered with a driving licence.... all rather a long way from Newcastle.

Quite a good piece by Souness in the ST at the weekend..... Newcastle wanted a lion tamer.

Some of the players were embarrassing the club & yes, the manager has to take some responsibility for that, but after sacking SBR, Newcastle spent most of the next 5 years in the lower reaches of the Premier League before the inevitable relegation. They'd finished 4th, 3rd & 5th in SBR's last 3 seasons.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024