Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is anyone else a complete lightweight when it comes to driving? 09:34 - Sep 28 with 1913 viewsMattinLondon

I passed my driving test not long ago but the thought of driving by myself still petrifies me. I’ve completed the pass + course which means I’m not actually scared of motorways or traffic in general. But driving by myself is quite a scary thought.

Did anyone else feel the same and did it take a long time for you to actually drive by yourself?
Is anyone else a complete lightweight when it comes to driving? on 09:37 - Sep 28 with 1580 viewsJakeITFC

It was scary the first few times but you quickly get used to it. I would say it is absolutely crucial that you get behind the wheel ASAP though because you'll almost certainly get worse as a driver and more afraid the longer you leave it to dwell.
Is anyone else a complete lightweight when it comes to driving? on 09:39 - Sep 28 with 1566 viewsMattinLondon

Is anyone else a complete lightweight when it comes to driving? on 09:37 - Sep 28 by JakeITFC

It was scary the first few times but you quickly get used to it. I would say it is absolutely crucial that you get behind the wheel ASAP though because you'll almost certainly get worse as a driver and more afraid the longer you leave it to dwell.

Cheers
I’m ok driving with someone else and I do drive fairly regularly (ish). It’s just being along which leaves me cold.
Is anyone else a complete lightweight when it comes to driving? on 10:00 - Sep 28 with 1526 viewsGuthrum

Had no other option after getting my licence and acquiring my first car (which was free). Tho have always loved driving. But I was a little bit older, having not been in a (financial) position to finish learning and take a test for a few years after turning 17.

A year after passing my test, I drove a friend out to the Czech Republic, where he was going to teach, then back by myself. That was a great experience.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Is anyone else a complete lightweight when it comes to driving? on 10:09 - Sep 28 with 1502 viewsKeno

Start by taking a short trip or two down to the local shop or just 'round the block'

nothing fancy, nothing far, but it may just 'break the ice'
[Post edited 28 Sep 2020 10:09]

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Is anyone else a complete lightweight when it comes to driving? on 10:27 - Sep 28 with 1473 viewsBlueBadger

At the age of 45, having been driving over 25 years I still refuse to drive anywhere inside the M25 and have never driven a left-hand drive vehicle abroad.
[Post edited 28 Sep 2020 10:32]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Is anyone else a complete lightweight when it comes to driving? on 10:31 - Sep 28 with 1456 viewsgiant_stow

What is about driving by yourself that freaks you in particular?

Jake is dead right above: you need to crack this now as mrs ullaa passed at 19 and has hardly ever driven since out of fear (and also having a slave to drive her).

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Is anyone else a complete lightweight when it comes to driving? on 10:33 - Sep 28 with 1455 viewsgiant_stow

Is anyone else a complete lightweight when it comes to driving? on 10:27 - Sep 28 by BlueBadger

At the age of 45, having been driving over 25 years I still refuse to drive anywhere inside the M25 and have never driven a left-hand drive vehicle abroad.
[Post edited 28 Sep 2020 10:32]

Personally, I think country lane drivers can be much more scarey than london drivers - there's not actually that much room to drive quickly in large parts of London now days. Seen some crazy overtakes in the sticks, presumably from locals who feel they know the roads.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Is anyone else a complete lightweight when it comes to driving? on 10:42 - Sep 28 with 1431 viewsSwansea_Blue

Nah. Loved it the first time I got behind a wheel. Never worried about driving anywhere. Drove in london centre when I was a student down there, done proper off-road stuff overseas, left/right hand drive, left/right side of road and once even both at the same time in India :) Trailers, mobile homes, tractor, even had a short go in a coach once. It's become a bit of a chore over the years, but I've never worried about it.

Can't get on with motorbikes though. Only had a go once and didn't enjoy it, been pillion once and hated that experience.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

Is anyone else a complete lightweight when it comes to driving? on 10:59 - Sep 28 with 1404 viewshampstead_blue

In no time you'll be fine.

Get in a car and drive. The sooner you do it the better. Also don't let a small doubt grow.
It will be harder to get over in the longer run.

I was driving at 13 and loved it. Still do. The school run in the morning is great. All that cold air into the intercooler and turbo.

You'll be fine.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Is anyone else a complete lightweight when it comes to driving? on 10:59 - Sep 28 with 1403 viewsRobTheMonk

I passed at 18 and have only just really got behind the wheel again for the best part of 14 years. I used to work two minutes down the road, live at home and spent Friday and Saturday down the local pubs of which there were loads for the size of the town. Never really need to drive anywhere.
Also had loads of shoulder issues in my 20's, so driving became something that I didn't really do.

Recently had a refresher lesson with a mate who's an instructor and it stressed me out a little, but he thought I was generally okay and advised that I just get out in the car. I've been to the shops now with Madge, with me behind the wheel and it wasn't as terrible as I thought it was going to be, even with a motor-cyclist driving straight at me on the wrong side of the road trying to overtake about 7 cars (fortunately I saw it coming a long way off so slowed right down). Clutch control was a bit iffy, but that'll come with more time.

The more you leave it, the more it festers, and the more it becomes more difficult to get back behind the wheel.
Is anyone else a complete lightweight when it comes to driving? on 11:10 - Sep 28 with 1394 viewsitfcjoe

No, I was gutted rist time I could drive on my own my Dad wanted a lift somewhere so had to wait an extra 20 minutes before could be on my own.....freedom!

When i passed, was at school, and mates lived all over the place so driving was only way to get about without the slog of public transport which was at least 2 buses but generally more buses and trains

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Is anyone else a complete lightweight when it comes to driving? on 11:34 - Sep 28 with 1331 viewsPinewoodblue

I was in shook the first time I drive on my own. Passed test at Station Road test centre in Cambridge. Driving school was on Hills Road, just a stones throw away.

My driving instructor told me he had to see someone in the test centre and said park the car outside the driving school. This was in 1964 you could park anywhere.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Is anyone else a complete lightweight when it comes to driving? on 12:17 - Sep 28 with 1282 views05Jchamb

I had a roughly 2 year gap between passing and then doing any real driving again. When I bought my first car I had to google how to put it in reverse after pulling front first into a bay space at the shops on the way home from the seller.

Someone once told me you’re still learning for the first 10,000 miles which turned out spot on for me. The day after googling the gears I started a job that involved 15k miles solo that year with a lot of motorways and this was the perfect sink or swim.

That year I had one very minor prang and a few more ‘cor that was close’ moments along with many navigational errors (including turning off motorways on the sat nav without realising and then wondering why it kept taking me on the north circular at 8 am and separately an 11 hour Odyssey on the M25 which involved a shortcut that turned out to be a dirt track!)

Start of the year was incredibly stressful and that caused the most mistakes as you would expect. Got noticeably better after a month or so and by the end of the year I loved driving and still do. Haven’t owned a car now for almost 5 years so only drive a few times a year but find it always now comes back pretty quickly.

Good luck OP - I’m sure you’ll be fine and try to channel your inner Corporal Jones.
Is anyone else a complete lightweight when it comes to driving? on 12:26 - Sep 28 with 1236 viewsSuperblue95

3 weeks after passing my test I started a job that required a 3 hour round trip every day.

Being a nervous driver (Which I had been the whole time until this point) went away almost immediately. Start driving enough and it just becomes another part of your day, no different to cooking dinner or brushing your teeth.

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Is anyone else a complete lightweight when it comes to driving? on 12:36 - Sep 28 with 1222 viewsbrazil1982

You can drive how you like if you own an Audi.
Is anyone else a complete lightweight when it comes to driving? on 12:38 - Sep 28 with 1212 viewsRyorry

Try short trips on easy as poss roads, soon as you can, as others have said.

But also, it's really important to focus on the wonderful positives - just imagine - the freedom to go wherever you want, whenever you want without having to think about what anyone else wants, without them chatting inccessantly or otherwise distracting you when you want to concentrate or just enjoy the road ahead of you, and with *your* choice of music, not theirs!

Freeeeedom!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Is anyone else a complete lightweight when it comes to driving? on 12:42 - Sep 28 with 1210 viewsgiant_stow

Is anyone else a complete lightweight when it comes to driving? on 12:38 - Sep 28 by Ryorry

Try short trips on easy as poss roads, soon as you can, as others have said.

But also, it's really important to focus on the wonderful positives - just imagine - the freedom to go wherever you want, whenever you want without having to think about what anyone else wants, without them chatting inccessantly or otherwise distracting you when you want to concentrate or just enjoy the road ahead of you, and with *your* choice of music, not theirs!

Freeeeedom!

right on mrs

Is anyone else a complete lightweight when it comes to driving? on 12:46 - Sep 28 with 1193 viewsPJH

It was fifty years ago last month (sounds like a line from a Beatles song) that I passed my test and at the time I think that I thought I knew everything, but I didn't.

I do not remember feeling that driving by myself was scary but it was a long time ago so perhaps I did.
Is anyone else a complete lightweight when it comes to driving? on 12:49 - Sep 28 with 1183 viewsjeera

It's different for everyone isn't it.

I couldn't wait to get a car at 17 but I'd spent a year on the road already on a 50cc bike so was already familiar with how it all worked. I genuinely think that helps youngsters who then understand the road and its workings, how other drivers behave etc.

I was then thrown straight into box luton vans and had a few hiccups with that as I'd had no experience. It was one thing getting the front through gaps but when the back is larger than the front...

That was my boss being pushy and it cost him a few quid. Your own fault dad.
[Post edited 28 Sep 2020 12:52]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Is anyone else a complete lightweight when it comes to driving? on 12:50 - Sep 28 with 1176 viewsjeera

Is anyone else a complete lightweight when it comes to driving? on 12:46 - Sep 28 by PJH

It was fifty years ago last month (sounds like a line from a Beatles song) that I passed my test and at the time I think that I thought I knew everything, but I didn't.

I do not remember feeling that driving by myself was scary but it was a long time ago so perhaps I did.

Driving carriages before cars came along must have given you a head start on road experience though.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Is anyone else a complete lightweight when it comes to driving? on 12:53 - Sep 28 with 1164 viewsNthQldITFC

I'm a bit like that with bathing facilities. They don't scare me per se, but I tend to avoid the use of them unless accompanied.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Is anyone else a complete lightweight when it comes to driving? on 12:53 - Sep 28 with 1162 viewsPJH

Is anyone else a complete lightweight when it comes to driving? on 12:50 - Sep 28 by jeera

Driving carriages before cars came along must have given you a head start on road experience though.

I actually owned a car before I passed my test, took the test in my very own Austin A40.
Is anyone else a complete lightweight when it comes to driving? on 13:57 - Sep 28 with 1077 viewsRyorry

Is anyone else a complete lightweight when it comes to driving? on 12:53 - Sep 28 by PJH

I actually owned a car before I passed my test, took the test in my very own Austin A40.

My first car was an Austin A40 - bought it 2nd-hand for £40 in 1972, after about 20 miles it broke down - the repair cost me more than I'd paid for it - the wheel-bushes had seized on
[Post edited 28 Sep 2020 13:59]

Is anyone else a complete lightweight when it comes to driving? on 14:00 - Sep 28 with 1070 viewsPJH

Is anyone else a complete lightweight when it comes to driving? on 13:57 - Sep 28 by Ryorry

My first car was an Austin A40 - bought it 2nd-hand for £40 in 1972, after about 20 miles it broke down - the repair cost me more than I'd paid for it - the wheel-bushes had seized on
[Post edited 28 Sep 2020 13:59]

Mine was 2nd hand (in 1970) but not sure how much I paid for it.

I cannot remember exactly how long I had it for but I had it for a while and mine did ok for me.
Is anyone else a complete lightweight when it comes to driving? on 14:04 - Sep 28 with 1063 viewsRyorry

Is anyone else a complete lightweight when it comes to driving? on 14:00 - Sep 28 by PJH

Mine was 2nd hand (in 1970) but not sure how much I paid for it.

I cannot remember exactly how long I had it for but I had it for a while and mine did ok for me.

Thinking back, it might have been the cost of the repair that was £40 and a lot more for the actual purchase - couple of hundred notes or something.

Maybe it was yours that I bought (was in Ipswich) & you'd cream-crackered it!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024