Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Has Southgate lost the plot? 23:35 - Oct 14 with 3635 viewsWoolfenthen

5 right backs in the squad
Brings on Calvert Lewin and plays him on the left, so why not introduce Grealish
Looking for a goal so brings on Henderson
Maguire clearly struggling mentally and for form so why pick him?

Has Southgate lost the plot? on 23:40 - Oct 14 with 3062 viewsbournemouthblue

It looked a pretty poor night for him

It was a pretty poorly balanced side followed by some strange substitutions

Yes the penalty was soft but we hadn't filled ourselves with glory before Maguire was sent off

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Has Southgate lost the plot? on 23:49 - Oct 14 with 3041 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Has Southgate lost the plot? on 23:40 - Oct 14 by bournemouthblue

It looked a pretty poor night for him

It was a pretty poorly balanced side followed by some strange substitutions

Yes the penalty was soft but we hadn't filled ourselves with glory before Maguire was sent off

I agree with that.

The only thing I can think in mitigation is that he's had 3 matches to select teams for in a short period of time, with club managers not wanting him to select their players.

It's been a bit of a pointless bunch of fixtures.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Has Southgate lost the plot? on 23:50 - Oct 14 with 3043 viewspointofblue

I think we’re really struggling on the left hand side with only Chilwell as a wing back. Of course Mings can play out there but more as a left back than wing back whilst James has had a run out at Chelsea in that position. With Shaw out of form/never really been a Southgate choice we are lacking in that area.

Can’t defend him for the rest of his choices though. He says he’ll pick on form so chooses Pickford and Maguire over Pope and Mings before playing three central defenders and two defensive midfielders at home to Denmark.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Has Southgate lost the plot? on 23:57 - Oct 14 with 3018 viewsOsborneOneNil

I know he’s going to big it up but he described England as ‘excellent’ before the red card, and ‘outstanding’ after the red card.

What?

Dull and bang average before the card, slightly better after with 10 men.

Strange choice of team, 2 DCM’s at home to Denmark. Means we lose a Sancho or a Grealish. But let’s face it, he’s never going to play Jack.
Has Southgate lost the plot? on 07:50 - Oct 15 with 2843 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Has Southgate lost the plot? on 08:25 - Oct 15 with 2760 viewsIpswichKnight

It was just strange all round, England have been crying out for a creative midfielder since the last world cup, we now have 2 in Grealish and Maddison. We pick Grealish in the squad and only use him against Wales B Team. Without Stirling and Sancho wide we struggled to cause anyone any real problems and with Kane not fully fit any half chances that were coming weren't take up.
Has Southgate lost the plot? on 08:48 - Oct 15 with 2730 viewsrickw

Yes it seems like a MM style line-up, with 5 defenders and 2 holding midfielders, players playing out of position all over the place!

We were looking good playing 433 just over a year ago then lost in the nations league finals. TAA is rated by many as the best attacking RB in Europe but seems to be Southgate's 4th choice.
Rashford was terrible last night and should have come off long before he did and yes obviously it should have been Sancho or Grealish come on not Calvert Lewin to be played out of position

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Has Southgate lost the plot? on 08:50 - Oct 15 with 2719 viewsHerbivore

I like Southgate but I don't think he's the man to take England forward. Too often the set up is a head scratcher and we play with an entirely ineffective midfield. We're lacking a bit in that area but at least try something different instead of the constant two sitters in there.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

Has Southgate lost the plot? on 08:52 - Oct 15 with 2715 viewssundaze

Has Southgate lost the plot? on 23:50 - Oct 14 by pointofblue

I think we’re really struggling on the left hand side with only Chilwell as a wing back. Of course Mings can play out there but more as a left back than wing back whilst James has had a run out at Chelsea in that position. With Shaw out of form/never really been a Southgate choice we are lacking in that area.

Can’t defend him for the rest of his choices though. He says he’ll pick on form so chooses Pickford and Maguire over Pope and Mings before playing three central defenders and two defensive midfielders at home to Denmark.

There's a decent left footed full back at West Ham. He's playing well so far this season, surely this would have been a good time to see how he could fit in. I know he's not a youngster, but we've got plenty of them in the national squad.
Also frustrating that Grealish didn't get any minutes last evening, the game was crying out for someone to get hold of the game and make something happen.
Has Southgate lost the plot? on 09:00 - Oct 15 with 2688 viewsitfcjoe

These international games are currently a bot of a joke, and not really fair to judge too much on - we lost the game because of Maguire's brainfart yesterday (and then an awful decision by the ref straight after)

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Has Southgate lost the plot? on 09:07 - Oct 15 with 2656 viewsKeno

Maybe he is in training to take over from Lambert?

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Has Southgate lost the plot? on 09:07 - Oct 15 with 2658 viewsIpswichKnight

Has Southgate lost the plot? on 09:00 - Oct 15 by itfcjoe

These international games are currently a bot of a joke, and not really fair to judge too much on - we lost the game because of Maguire's brainfart yesterday (and then an awful decision by the ref straight after)

That ref was awful lost count of the number of pull backs and shirt grabs that he gave a foul for but are automatic yellow cards, wasn't surprised to hear we got another red card after the game had finished for telling him he was cr@p.

Ref's awfulness doesn't hid the fact that we struggled to create anything of any real note from open play, just shows how much we miss Stirling and Sancho out wide.
Has Southgate lost the plot? on 09:13 - Oct 15 with 2638 viewsITFCed

With the players he had in the squad, he should have gone with this:

Pope
Trent Coady Mings Saka
Henderson Rice
Sancho Grealish Rashford
DCL

It’s really not that difficult to pick a better team than the one he put out last night!

Poll: Who was the player of the tournament in your opinion?

Has Southgate lost the plot? on 09:17 - Oct 15 with 2618 viewscleaner

Southgate needs to clean up his act.
Has Southgate lost the plot? on 09:22 - Oct 15 with 2597 viewsrickw

Has Southgate lost the plot? on 09:07 - Oct 15 by IpswichKnight

That ref was awful lost count of the number of pull backs and shirt grabs that he gave a foul for but are automatic yellow cards, wasn't surprised to hear we got another red card after the game had finished for telling him he was cr@p.

Ref's awfulness doesn't hid the fact that we struggled to create anything of any real note from open play, just shows how much we miss Stirling and Sancho out wide.

Yes the ref was useless - one of these ref's who think if someone goes down and shouts it's automatically a free kick and yellow card to the closest opponent.

I think the ref was summed up in a few seconds when Kane looked to be getting away and a Danish player intentionally tripped him getting nowhere near the ball. Another Danish player bent over the ball as slowly as he could, Phillips kicked the ball, the Dane yelled and rolled around and Phillips got booked, the Dane who intentionally stopped a counter attack got nothing.

Has Southgate lost the plot? on 09:24 - Oct 15 with 2587 viewsrickw

Has Southgate lost the plot? on 09:13 - Oct 15 by ITFCed

With the players he had in the squad, he should have gone with this:

Pope
Trent Coady Mings Saka
Henderson Rice
Sancho Grealish Rashford
DCL

It’s really not that difficult to pick a better team than the one he put out last night!

I would start Kane and I'm not sure if Saka is ready yet, but I agree it's a better and definitely more creative team than what was played!

Has Southgate lost the plot? on 09:32 - Oct 15 with 2575 viewsBiGDonnie

Absolut clown of a manager.

That was the worst starting 11 I've ever seen when you consider the options available to him.

Southgate OUT.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Has Southgate lost the plot? on 09:35 - Oct 15 with 2563 viewshype313

He's an FA Man, never going to rock the boat, nice clean image, but not sure his credentials warrant the job he's got.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Has Southgate lost the plot? on 09:48 - Oct 15 with 2539 viewsOsborneOneNil

Has Southgate lost the plot? on 09:00 - Oct 15 by itfcjoe

Happy with that starting XI though, Joe?
Has Southgate lost the plot? on 09:50 - Oct 15 with 2540 viewsOldsmoker

Has Southgate lost the plot? on 09:32 - Oct 15 by BiGDonnie

Absolut clown of a manager.

That was the worst starting 11 I've ever seen when you consider the options available to him.

Southgate OUT.

2 years ago we finished 4th in the World cup.
He's now relying on aging has-beens and youth.
He's making players play out of position.
No decent right-back.
We can't even compete in the Nations cup.
Seems to be modelling his career on Lambert.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Has Southgate lost the plot? on 10:08 - Oct 15 with 2511 viewsElephantintheRoom

In a word, yes - as shown by the constant changing of personnel.

It's the usual problem of being England (mis)manager - it is a very undemanding part-time job with very few competitive games - yet it is seen as a permanent job requiring a multi-million pound salary.

The underemployed (mis)manager therefore tries to make more of the job than it actually entails, overthinks the problems, can never settle on a team, has his confidence and sense of purpose destroyed by the media - and eventually walks away with a bug pay off to allow the whole soul-destroying process to start again.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Has Southgate lost the plot? on 10:16 - Oct 15 with 2487 viewsitfcjoe

Has Southgate lost the plot? on 09:22 - Oct 15 by rickw

Yes the ref was useless - one of these ref's who think if someone goes down and shouts it's automatically a free kick and yellow card to the closest opponent.

I think the ref was summed up in a few seconds when Kane looked to be getting away and a Danish player intentionally tripped him getting nowhere near the ball. Another Danish player bent over the ball as slowly as he could, Phillips kicked the ball, the Dane yelled and rolled around and Phillips got booked, the Dane who intentionally stopped a counter attack got nothing.

Yep, totally agreed with that - it was the most obvious yellow you can see at the top level for the initial foul

Has Southgate lost the plot? on 10:30 - Oct 15 with 2446 viewsBiGDonnie

Has Southgate lost the plot? on 09:50 - Oct 15 by Oldsmoker

2 years ago we finished 4th in the World cup.
He's now relying on aging has-beens and youth.
He's making players play out of position.
No decent right-back.
We can't even compete in the Nations cup.
Seems to be modelling his career on Lambert.

Lambert>Southgate

Fourth in the world cup was purely down to the luck of the draw in my opinion- as soon as we came up against quality teams we lost.

Southgate out.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Has Southgate lost the plot? on 11:04 - Oct 15 with 2407 viewsitfcjoe

Has Southgate lost the plot? on 09:48 - Oct 15 by OsborneOneNil

Happy with that starting XI though, Joe?

Personally I'd have had it slightly different - not a fan of 3 at the back. But before Maguire was sent off Mason Mount had got in 3-4 times down their left flank and we looked the side most likely (against a stubborn Denmark side who don't lose or concede many)

And then Maguire happened, I thought it was a blessing in disguise when he felt his hamstring and should have seen him withdrawn. But he wasn't and it cost us the game - as well as some atrocious refereeing.

A real shame, as the Belgium win was one of our best wins in 15 years or so, beating a top team in a competitive game just seldom happens - and after a poor first half we made adjustments.

I don't particularly like the double pivot, but the front 3 get a lot of licence to attack and think international football is won in the transitions and we are very sharp on the break

Has Southgate lost the plot? on 11:51 - Oct 15 with 2318 viewscressi

Has Southgate lost the plot? on 11:04 - Oct 15 by itfcjoe

Personally I'd have had it slightly different - not a fan of 3 at the back. But before Maguire was sent off Mason Mount had got in 3-4 times down their left flank and we looked the side most likely (against a stubborn Denmark side who don't lose or concede many)

And then Maguire happened, I thought it was a blessing in disguise when he felt his hamstring and should have seen him withdrawn. But he wasn't and it cost us the game - as well as some atrocious refereeing.

A real shame, as the Belgium win was one of our best wins in 15 years or so, beating a top team in a competitive game just seldom happens - and after a poor first half we made adjustments.

I don't particularly like the double pivot, but the front 3 get a lot of licence to attack and think international football is won in the transitions and we are very sharp on the break

I never understood how he got the job no record at club level but probably the FA wanted someone squeaky clean.
Personally I never get excited by or believe the media hype etc we are just an average side I hope I'm wrong but we won't win anything maybe four decent internationals in the side. Moan over come on the Town
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024