Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Deal done with Japan 13:30 - Oct 23 with 8908 viewsMonkeyAlan

Great post Brexit deal done with Japan. Biggest deal done so far. Looks to be quite a decent deal too
[Post edited 23 Oct 2020 13:32]
Deal done with Japan on 14:32 - Oct 23 with 3091 viewsusm

Deal done with Japan on 13:48 - Oct 23 by m14_blue

I don't know, some of the responses seem to be pretty well informed on the details.

What do you think of it?

No idea, its too high brow for me, as you will know I didnt comment on the deal, just on the likely responses on here

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Deal done with Japan on 14:38 - Oct 23 with 3073 viewsjeera

Deal done with Japan on 14:32 - Oct 23 by usm

No idea, its too high brow for me, as you will know I didnt comment on the deal, just on the likely responses on here

So nothing of worth to add then.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Deal done with Japan on 14:49 - Oct 23 with 3070 viewsTractorWood

I love Japan. One of my favourite countries I've been to. However, it's proximity to the cheap labour and emerging markets of SE Asia means we won't get much of a sniff in reality. The language, huge cultural differences and time zone barriers mean it's a very different place to work with. Japan tends to be more active in M&A.

Won't stop myopic Brexiteers announcing it as a swashbuckling deal. Reality has never been that relevant to them.

We should probably be using this time to hammer out a deal with the bloc of 27 very similar countries that are literally on our doorstep.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Deal done with Japan on 14:58 - Oct 23 with 3056 viewsjeera

Deal done with Japan on 14:49 - Oct 23 by TractorWood

I love Japan. One of my favourite countries I've been to. However, it's proximity to the cheap labour and emerging markets of SE Asia means we won't get much of a sniff in reality. The language, huge cultural differences and time zone barriers mean it's a very different place to work with. Japan tends to be more active in M&A.

Won't stop myopic Brexiteers announcing it as a swashbuckling deal. Reality has never been that relevant to them.

We should probably be using this time to hammer out a deal with the bloc of 27 very similar countries that are literally on our doorstep.

Quite.

So sales to them will be of the speciality nature then. Such as blue cheese.

We're already selling them a few pieces of cheese and are now hoping to expand that to some more pieces of cheese.

It all counts of course, but it's not exactly making up for much so far.

These idiots are applauding these 'deals' without seeming to be able to acknowledge the massive losses incurred so far. At the moment we are playing catch-up and are a long way behind.

These tw@ts think we're some way in the lead.

Deal done with Japan on 15:04 - Oct 23 with 3053 viewsDanTheMan

The important thing is that you managed to feel smug about it.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Deal done with Japan on 15:08 - Oct 23 with 3047 viewsKropotkin123

Deal done with Japan on 14:19 - Oct 23 by goat_man

Lol. Check out the bitterness of some of the posters on this topic. People who actually haven't moved on with their lives in 4 years.

I think it's a good deal with many more to come :)

What is good about it? Please let me know specific points that are better than we already had

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Deal done with Japan on 15:26 - Oct 23 with 3016 viewsGhostOfBenters

People have explained it for you in this thread, so feel free to comment now you understand...
Deal done with Japan on 15:37 - Oct 23 with 3006 viewsWacko

Sums up precisely the attitude of Brexiteers

Too thick to understand what they're voting for, and just happy for someone smoking a cigar and drinking a pint to 'explain' it to them

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

Login to get fewer ads

Deal done with Japan on 15:44 - Oct 23 with 2994 viewsHARRY10

Deal done with Japan on 15:37 - Oct 23 by Wacko

Too thick to understand what they're voting for, and just happy for someone smoking a cigar and drinking a pint to 'explain' it to them

I would suggest he does understand, but is well aware of the right arse he would look like if admitting being part of this shambles

I expect some brexiteers will start using the "I was only obeying orders" line fairly soon
Deal done with Japan on 15:49 - Oct 23 with 2986 viewskeighleyblue

This is a wind up, right?

So I'll ignore it. You big tease.
Deal done with Japan on 15:52 - Oct 23 with 2981 viewsfactual_blue

As they don't really like cheese in Japan, this deal is of limited use to us.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Deal done with Japan on 15:55 - Oct 23 with 2978 viewsclive_baker

Deal done with Japan on 14:19 - Oct 23 by goat_man

Lol. Check out the bitterness of some of the posters on this topic. People who actually haven't moved on with their lives in 4 years.

I think it's a good deal with many more to come :)

I don't see too much bitterness. I'm a 'remainer', a pretty ardent one, but I'm no great fan of the EU, if I'm honest. I studied Economics at Uni back during the recession and we had modules on the EU. There was a significant populist movement of left wing Eurosceptics that were heavily critical of the EU at the time. This was before leaving had became synonymous with right wing Britain, it seemed less controversial to speak unfavourably of it then. I remember a group at the time that was very much the more liberal folk in the year group, the 'f*ck the system' types that were taking exception to the bureaucracy of the EU and our involvement in it.

Of course Farage and his merry racist men have peddled the anti immigration agenda hard, centring the vote leave campaign around it. I think Cameron's inability to get through any reforms internally played perfectly into the hands of Farage and that misguided and deep lying arrogance that sits within the British psyche. That tacit arrogance that Britain and many of its people adopts on a global scale. That sort of unsubstantiated sense of superiority because we 'won da war'. It's the same arrogance that gives rise to football supporters thinking they have a right to sit in city squares in Europe pissing on statues and throwing tables about. How dare the EU not bend over on such matters as immigration, they need us more than we need them. Sod them. Etc. How satisfying it'll be to stick 2 fingers up. Yeah, let's see how satisfying it is when you're sticking your 2 fingers up but you've chosen to be paralysed from the waist down.

The EU is imperfect, but like a lot of things in life it's often about the least worst option. I would rather be inside the tent p1ssing out, trying to reform it for the better, than outside the tent p1ssing in our own faces whilst waving a Union Jack down a zipwire. There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that leaving the EU has been, and will continue to be deeply damaging to the UK, both economically and socially. It's the most regrettable thing to happen to this country in our lifetimes IMO.
[Post edited 23 Oct 2020 15:58]

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Deal done with Japan on 15:58 - Oct 23 with 2973 viewsfactual_blue

Deal done with Japan on 15:49 - Oct 23 by keighleyblue

This is a wind up, right?

So I'll ignore it. You big tease.

The OP is really Keno's alter ego, 'my anal Keno'.

FACT

Deal done with Japan on 15:58 - Oct 23 with 2971 viewsMeadowlark

Deal done with Japan on 13:37 - Oct 23 by Keno

Trust someone to Nippon that bandwagon

... had their futon the gas...
Deal done with Japan on 16:08 - Oct 23 with 2950 viewsclive_baker

I'm with you on this one TW, Japan is a wonderful country. Expensive, but fantastic.

Deal done with Japan on 16:22 - Oct 23 with 2939 viewsSwansea_Blue

A great place isn't it. So very different culturally. I'd have loved to have seen more of the rural Japan before a lot of the development over the last 20-30 years or so.

I went there about 10 years ago with Mrs Swanners and our lad when he was still in a pushchair. She was at a conference in Kagoshima on southern Kyushu, so me and the little un had a week to explore that part. We then took a ferry down to Yakushima Island with the cloud forests and beaches with warm water for swimming and others with nesting turtles.

We then had just under 3 weeks winding our way back up through Kyushu and Honshu taking in a lot of the classic tourist sites and a few places more off the beaten track. We were there for the cherry blossom, which was a it of a bonus. We left the northern part for somewhere to go back to another time, but that's very much on my list to do one day.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Deal done with Japan on 16:27 - Oct 23 with 2931 viewsusm

Deal done with Japan on 15:37 - Oct 23 by Wacko

Hahaha, wrong

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Deal done with Japan on 16:30 - Oct 23 with 2927 viewsMalcolmBlue

Deal done with Japan on 13:41 - Oct 23 by clive_baker

If you're being generous to Brexiteers, the EU didn't have an economic partnership agreement with Japan when we voted to leave, it's only been agreed since then, in 2018 at which point it became the largest trade deal ever negotiated between the EU and another nation.

But yes, it's nothing incremental from the position we left.

Sorry to bring semantics into it, but we didn't officially "leave" till 31st Jan 2020 despite the referendum taking place in 2016. We still haven't technically left the single market yet (which means we can still currently benefit from EU trade deals including EU-Japan signed in 2019), although we're not recognised as being a member state in the EU27 since 31st Jan 2020.

So this is a continuation deal much like many of the deals GB has currently signed with other countries.

Poll: Is Theresa May the "Paul Hurst" of politics?

Deal done with Japan on 16:59 - Oct 23 with 2901 viewsMonkeyAlan

It's still another deal. Some on here would never accept anything. Doesn't matter what it is. They just dismiss everything. Haven't moved on in 4 years. Sad really.
Deal done with Japan on 17:17 - Oct 23 with 2885 viewsSwansea_Blue

The "benefits" are tenuous at best aren't they, even if it is good news that we are slowly getting the rollover deals in place.

I was looking at the VAT changes earlier this week. What a mess that it. We're changing how the VAT is collected, switching to the govt collecting it directly from the seller and charging the seller admin fees for the privilege on top. So the seller will pass the extra admin costs on to us the buyers. It's going to have an impact on all VAT attracting purchases from overseas, so think Amazon.eu, overseas Ebay market sellers, and any other retailer. The likes of Amazon may be able to absorb the extra costs or people may be happy to pay a bit more, but several small, niche sellers have already stopped selling into the UK as a result. We don't have to do this other than to show that we can. Absolute madness and all self-inflicted.

Deal done with Japan on 17:20 - Oct 23 with 2879 viewsfactual_blue

Deal done with Japan on 16:59 - Oct 23 by MonkeyAlan

It's still another deal. Some on here would never accept anything. Doesn't matter what it is. They just dismiss everything. Haven't moved on in 4 years. Sad really.

As opposed to leavers, who think it's 1903.

Deal done with Japan on 17:20 - Oct 23 with 2880 viewsSwansea_Blue

It's not being dismissed. People are just rightly pointing out that this is pretty much what we had already, so in that regard we haven't moved on.

It's still better than the alternative of losing the deal we have now when that runs out at the end of December though. But that's all that can be said about it. It's not some great big win.

Deal done with Japan on 17:21 - Oct 23 with 2878 viewsclive_baker

Deal done with Japan on 16:30 - Oct 23 by MalcolmBlue

Sorry to bring semantics into it, but we didn't officially "leave" till 31st Jan 2020 despite the referendum taking place in 2016. We still haven't technically left the single market yet (which means we can still currently benefit from EU trade deals including EU-Japan signed in 2019), although we're not recognised as being a member state in the EU27 since 31st Jan 2020.

So this is a continuation deal much like many of the deals GB has currently signed with other countries.

Isn't that what I said? Certainly was what I meant to say. The EU didn't have a deal in place with Japan at the point the UK voted to leave the EU.

But it has now, so there's nothing incremental about this. As you say it's a continuation deal.

Deal done with Japan on 17:22 - Oct 23 with 2877 viewsgiant_stow

Think you're being a bit harsh there.

I would say there are very few remainers still fighting the cause now - Leave won twice so you won!

That doesn't mean that remainers have to ignore how its all going though and lets be honest, its not exactly been a doddle to date.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Deal done with Japan on 17:35 - Oct 23 with 2863 viewsjeera

Yes, you are sad, extremely.

That's the first time you've been right about anything really.

Fancy having such strong opinions on things you don't even try to understand.
[Post edited 23 Oct 2020 17:52]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024