Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Deal done with Japan 13:30 - Oct 23 with 8917 viewsMonkeyAlan

Great post Brexit deal done with Japan. Biggest deal done so far. Looks to be quite a decent deal too
[Post edited 23 Oct 2020 13:32]
Okay, I'll bite on 17:35 - Oct 23 with 1633 viewsDyland

Deal done with Japan on 14:19 - Oct 23 by goat_man

Lol. Check out the bitterness of some of the posters on this topic. People who actually haven't moved on with their lives in 4 years.

I think it's a good deal with many more to come :)

Why is this one a good deal?

EDIT: I see you've been asked this already. Fair enough, we'll give it another few hours/days. Come on...
[Post edited 23 Oct 2020 17:38]

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Deal done with Japan on 17:43 - Oct 23 with 1631 viewseireblue

Deal done with Japan on 16:59 - Oct 23 by MonkeyAlan

It's still another deal. Some on here would never accept anything. Doesn't matter what it is. They just dismiss everything. Haven't moved on in 4 years. Sad really.

The point of leaving the EU, was that the shackles would be taken off, and the U.K. would be unleashed to negotiate their own deals, unhindered by those pesky EU Brussels bureaucrats.

After being fully unleashed, the Tories managed to demonstrate their greatness and how much they could accomplish by ......having the same deal.

Apart from a bit of an extra concession for Blue Cheese, to the famously lactose intolerant Japan, that buys about 100k worth of cheese.

Well, I suppose another way of looking at this in retrospect is, from what we understand what this set of Tories can do when unleashed, they managed not to give 10billion to a third party to negotiate a worse deal.

So there’s that.
Deal done with Japan on 20:20 - Oct 23 with 1538 viewsbluejacko

Deal done with Japan on 14:23 - Oct 23 by reusersfreekicks

Why do you think it's a good deal?

Got to be a good deal hasn’t it ?you lot reckon it’s basically the same as the Utopia has! So hence a good deal 😀
Deal done with Japan on 20:31 - Oct 23 with 1541 viewsbazza

Deal done with Japan on 20:20 - Oct 23 by bluejacko

Got to be a good deal hasn’t it ?you lot reckon it’s basically the same as the Utopia has! So hence a good deal 😀

It can’t be as good as our free £10b a year trade deal with the EU tho surely..?
[Post edited 23 Oct 2020 20:32]
Deal done with Japan on 20:35 - Oct 23 with 1535 viewsGhostOfBenters

Deal done with Japan on 16:59 - Oct 23 by MonkeyAlan

It's still another deal. Some on here would never accept anything. Doesn't matter what it is. They just dismiss everything. Haven't moved on in 4 years. Sad really.

It's so obviously a slightly worse deal than the one we'd have had if we'd stayed in the EU anyway.

It's like a battered wife saying deep down he loves me.

Come on, you're better than this.
Deal done with Japan on 20:36 - Oct 23 with 1529 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Deal done with Japan on 17:43 - Oct 23 by eireblue

The point of leaving the EU, was that the shackles would be taken off, and the U.K. would be unleashed to negotiate their own deals, unhindered by those pesky EU Brussels bureaucrats.

After being fully unleashed, the Tories managed to demonstrate their greatness and how much they could accomplish by ......having the same deal.

Apart from a bit of an extra concession for Blue Cheese, to the famously lactose intolerant Japan, that buys about 100k worth of cheese.

Well, I suppose another way of looking at this in retrospect is, from what we understand what this set of Tories can do when unleashed, they managed not to give 10billion to a third party to negotiate a worse deal.

So there’s that.

There are a few people on here conveniently forgetting that without the weight of the EU behind us we supposedly were not going to be able to negotiate comparable deals.
Not that I give a f#ck either way, not being a fan of corporate globalism, but it does need pointing out!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Deal done with Japan on 20:47 - Oct 23 with 1528 viewseastangliaisblue

You've got to laugh at the brexiteers on this thread thinking they're being clever.
Deal done with Japan on 21:20 - Oct 23 with 1514 viewsEwan_Oozami

Deal done with Japan on 20:36 - Oct 23 by BanksterDebtSlave

There are a few people on here conveniently forgetting that without the weight of the EU behind us we supposedly were not going to be able to negotiate comparable deals.
Not that I give a f#ck either way, not being a fan of corporate globalism, but it does need pointing out!

Good point, but I suspect when it comes to countries that have a much larger % of trade with us, it might not be so easy...

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Login to get fewer ads

Deal done with Japan on 21:28 - Oct 23 with 1504 viewsjeera

In the case of cheese and Japan, it really doesn't need pointing out.

Where else would they purchase Stilton?

If there was ever one safe bet, this would have been it.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Deal done with Japan on 21:59 - Oct 23 with 1483 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Deal done with Japan on 21:28 - Oct 23 by jeera

In the case of cheese and Japan, it really doesn't need pointing out.

Where else would they purchase Stilton?

If there was ever one safe bet, this would have been it.

....and then there is the rest of the deal !! Something about shifting goalposts.

Deal done with Japan on 22:01 - Oct 23 with 1481 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Deal done with Japan on 21:20 - Oct 23 by Ewan_Oozami

Good point, but I suspect when it comes to countries that have a much larger % of trade with us, it might not be so easy...

Time will tell.

Deal done with Japan on 22:04 - Oct 23 with 1488 viewsm14_blue

The point is that if we’re going to come even close to making up for what we lose from our existing position with the EU then our new deals with third parties have to be much, much, much better.

If we’re just going to go out and negotiate the same deals then what was the point??

Unless it was never about this at all and the whole weird obsession with trade deals amongst Brexiteers was just a very flimsy excuse for them to not seem like massive xenophobes and pathetic little englanders?*

*not you BDS, I know you still view Brexit as some sort of left wing anarchist f you to the establishment
Deal done with Japan on 22:35 - Oct 23 with 1472 viewsjeera

Deal done with Japan on 21:59 - Oct 23 by BanksterDebtSlave

....and then there is the rest of the deal !! Something about shifting goalposts.

What about it?

This is a deal we're talking about. Of course there will be deals, who said there wouldn't?

I don't recall that at all. It's a fact that we are a long way behind and very much down in funds compared to where we were.

You're right, goalposts are being shifted, but not the way you seem to be claiming here. It's not to be celebrated that things are sh1t.

Deal done with Japan on 22:51 - Oct 23 with 1454 viewsjeera

Deal done with Japan on 22:04 - Oct 23 by m14_blue

The point is that if we’re going to come even close to making up for what we lose from our existing position with the EU then our new deals with third parties have to be much, much, much better.

If we’re just going to go out and negotiate the same deals then what was the point??

Unless it was never about this at all and the whole weird obsession with trade deals amongst Brexiteers was just a very flimsy excuse for them to not seem like massive xenophobes and pathetic little englanders?*

*not you BDS, I know you still view Brexit as some sort of left wing anarchist f you to the establishment

It was never about trade to these people. Not one of them had even considered it until now and that's only because it's been drummed into them for months and months on end by people who are actually interested.

That was an aspect that hadn't even crossed their minds.

When it cropped up it was all about 'making our own stuff again' without being able to explain what that even means.

The same as fishing. Like any of them had ever lost a single wink of sleep of the Uk's fishing rights for christ's sake.

Deal done with Japan on 22:55 - Oct 23 with 1445 viewsvapour_trail

Thanks Monkey Alan, twtd business analyst.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Deal done with Japan on 23:06 - Oct 23 with 1441 viewsDarth_Koont

It was always about conning people for votes and making rich people richer and poor people poorer. With a general taint of extremist neoliberalism that has convinced its most ardent believers that all deregulation is good.

Good f@cking times.

Pronouns: He/Him

Deal done with Japan on 23:24 - Oct 23 with 1430 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

A different, but fair point...particularly paragraph three.
We need a fundamental reset of who the global economy serves, the EU are not going to faciliatate that reset but I agree that as things stand the little England Brexit voters are being well and truly played.

Deal done with Japan on 23:32 - Oct 23 with 1421 viewsKropotkin123

Me neither. But at the same time people coming on here harping on about a "good deal" when the patently have no clue about the difference between what we had and what we now have is frankly ridiculous and needs to be challenged.

If there are clear reasons why this is a good deal, then I'm genuinely interested. But postering from a position of ignorance is tedious.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Deal done with Japan on 00:04 - Oct 24 with 1402 viewsvapour_trail

Deal done with Japan on 23:32 - Oct 23 by Kropotkin123

Me neither. But at the same time people coming on here harping on about a "good deal" when the patently have no clue about the difference between what we had and what we now have is frankly ridiculous and needs to be challenged.

If there are clear reasons why this is a good deal, then I'm genuinely interested. But postering from a position of ignorance is tedious.

What you’re saying, essentially, is that the op is a massive fckwit.

Again.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Deal done with Japan on 08:19 - Oct 24 with 1332 viewsSwansea_Blue

Deal done with Japan on 22:35 - Oct 23 by jeera

What about it?

This is a deal we're talking about. Of course there will be deals, who said there wouldn't?

I don't recall that at all. It's a fact that we are a long way behind and very much down in funds compared to where we were.

You're right, goalposts are being shifted, but not the way you seem to be claiming here. It's not to be celebrated that things are sh1t.

Indeed. And rollover deals were always the expectation as most of the work has already been done.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Deal done with Japan on 09:22 - Oct 24 with 1315 viewsMonkeyAlan

Deal done with Japan on 17:22 - Oct 23 by giant_stow

Think you're being a bit harsh there.

I would say there are very few remainers still fighting the cause now - Leave won twice so you won!

That doesn't mean that remainers have to ignore how its all going though and lets be honest, its not exactly been a doddle to date.

Didn't say l was a leave voter. Just saying we need to move on, as it's what we have from now on. We just have to make the best of it. I'm trying to be positive. God knows there are so many negative posts on this site nowadays.
Deal done with Japan on 09:26 - Oct 24 with 1311 viewsMonkeyAlan

Deal done with Japan on 17:35 - Oct 23 by jeera

Yes, you are sad, extremely.

That's the first time you've been right about anything really.

Fancy having such strong opinions on things you don't even try to understand.
[Post edited 23 Oct 2020 17:52]

And you are bitter. So that makes us about equal. Move on. It's as good a deal as if we had stayed in the EU with Japan. You love the EU so you should be happy.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2020 9:27]
Deal done with Japan on 09:38 - Oct 24 with 1301 viewsKropotkin123

Deal done with Japan on 09:26 - Oct 24 by MonkeyAlan

And you are bitter. So that makes us about equal. Move on. It's as good a deal as if we had stayed in the EU with Japan. You love the EU so you should be happy.

What makes the deal as good as if we had stayed? Please explain why it is as good. What aspects have remained the same? What aspects have changed?

EDIT: Also, I'm interested in what changed in your evaluation of the trade deal between your first post which you said looks to be quite a decent deal and your last post which described it as as good a deal as if we had stayed in the EU.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2020 9:54]

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Deal done with Japan on 10:28 - Oct 24 with 1277 viewsnoggin

Deal done with Japan on 09:26 - Oct 24 by MonkeyAlan

What does the deal mean for Britain? I don't understand the details so perhaps you could explain.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Deal done with Japan on 11:13 - Oct 24 with 1259 viewsBangor31

Deal done with Japan on 17:21 - Oct 23 by clive_baker

Isn't that what I said? Certainly was what I meant to say. The EU didn't have a deal in place with Japan at the point the UK voted to leave the EU.

But it has now, so there's nothing incremental about this. As you say it's a continuation deal.

The deal is pretty much as per the EU with 2 or 3 significant changes IMO which, if utilised correctly, could bring about a good amount more trade with Japan.

1 - GI increase - can't remember what the new number is but we increase it by circa 4 x. this protects British styles and brands in Japan
2 - Agriculture - Malt quota has been increased (we grow a significant percentage of the worlds malt barley/wheat etc) meats and cheese will have a reduced tariff compared to what we have with the EU. I need to do some reading on the quota side of this though as this could make it a sweet deal for all of 10 sales sort of thing.
3 - Tech - I'm not overly savvy with this area but a mate who is the COO of a Crypto firm said that there is way better alignment with Japan allowing for better access to the Japanese market.

I think the main difference between the EU trade deal and ours is that we have to make it work, we can't rely on several member states chipping in to make it work.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2020 11:19]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024