Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re 22:27 - Oct 31 with 5645 viewsRyorry

conditions in their own educational establishments, what does the TWTD Brains Trust make of tonight's statement by the Prime * saying that schools, colleges & Unis will be allowed to remain open despite the lockdown?

Further mix of views here -

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 11:58 - Nov 1 with 1540 viewsbrazil1982

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 11:16 - Nov 1 by BlueBadger

Look at the level of literacy his post displays. His teachers have clearly never worked.

He should be aware that you need at least two PhDs to post on this forum, and woe be tide if you happen to be typing on your mobile.
Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 12:46 - Nov 1 with 1512 viewsBlueBadger

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 11:58 - Nov 1 by brazil1982

He should be aware that you need at least two PhDs to post on this forum, and woe be tide if you happen to be typing on your mobile.

Don't most most phones have spellcheckers on them nowadays?

Oh, and *betide.

And also, give over, you massive fanny.
[Post edited 1 Nov 2020 12:47]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 12:57 - Nov 1 with 1502 viewsandytown

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 11:17 - Nov 1 by Mullet

Is anyone doing temperature checks out of interest? They may be forced to close if they can't maintain a reasonable working temperature anyway.

We had a big fight on our hands over the air con systems and ensuring that they had been checked and certified as circulating fresh air not circulating old air etc, but as soon as we took it to the bosses - it was all sorted.

No temp checks at my place. Is there a legal minimum working temp do you know? I seem to recall there being either a min or max but not both and I can’t remember which!
Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 13:10 - Nov 1 with 1487 viewsMullet

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 12:57 - Nov 1 by andytown

No temp checks at my place. Is there a legal minimum working temp do you know? I seem to recall there being either a min or max but not both and I can’t remember which!

The Tories removed the regulation, but general consensus suggests it should be 18C in rooms.

I would make sure you've seen your risk assessments and raised this with your line managers and union reps. They won't want an epidemic of colds, flu (I can't get my usual vaccine this year anywhere) etc so it shouldn't be a case of being adverserial.

We have someone doing checks to ensure temperatures aren't unreasonable.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 13:34 - Nov 1 with 1482 viewsRegencyBlue

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 23:25 - Oct 31 by pistonbroke

Like I have said in a previous post , there is some of us who had to work through the previous lockdown as well , teachers did not , anyway considering the 2 biggest places of infection are universities/ schools and the work place , then surely these are the places to lockdown to get rid of the virus

‘Teachers did not have to work through the lockdown’

May I suggest you let your complete ignorance of a subject stop you from expressing your opinion about it in future!!!
Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 14:54 - Nov 1 with 1457 viewsCBBlue

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 00:26 - Nov 1 by Ryorry

It's not just inside the school doors that the problems of having them open are either - a woman on 'Any Answers' yesterday referred to the parents milling around outside the school gates pre and post school, neither socially distanced nor masked. Slightly different issues there of compliance/enforcement I know, but nevertheless part of the problem with schools open.

The headteacher at my son's school keeps sending out messages asking parents not to do this but they get completely ignored. School have a staggered start/finish time so theoretically it's not so crowded doing the school run but I find myself having to negotiate large groups of mums chatting and blocking the paths. I refuse to let my elderly in-laws pick him up at the moment when I'm working as I just don't think it's safe for them to walk through such large groups.

Poll: School on Monday - are you sending in your R, Y1 or Y6 kids?

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 15:57 - Nov 1 with 1434 viewssoupytwist

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 00:20 - Nov 1 by Eireannach_gorm

I think you are being a little precious with yourself. I am not sure anyone suggested that teachers were not working and maybe a little clarity has to be brought to the education sector situation. I can tell you from an Irish perspective that the risk of Covid-19 depends on the education level. My daughter is a Primary school teacher and there appears to be more risk from the parents congregating than from the pupils. Secondary level is a joke where the students wear masks and remove them once they get outside the school gate while linking arms. I work in the Third level sector where most lectures are done on line and huge resources have been thrown at providing technology to students. To me the only risky area is Secondary level which unfortunately covers the worst offending cohort of youngsters.

On this very thread, pistonbroke wrote "some of us who had to work through the previous lockdown as well , teachers did not".

Teachers did have to work, not necessarily in exactly the same way they did before the pandemic, but work they did in the new arrangements their pupils were subject to. As the husband of a teacher and a school governor I saw, and continue to see, the effort put in by all school staff and the risks they expose themselves to.

I can never understand the argument that essentially says 'I had to do this before and it wasn't right, so you have to do it as well now.' Maybe we could make the situation as close to right for as many people as possible rather than dragging everyone down to the lowest possible level.
Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 15:58 - Nov 1 with 1434 viewsgazzer1999

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 23:30 - Oct 31 by DublinBlue84

If you think that nobody was working in school during the last lockdown then you need to get a reality check. I know some staff members who have worked right through the holidays and in one case someone last week had only their third weekday off since March.

Many of my colleagues were working far more hours than they would have been if the schools were open, calling students all hours of the day, posting resources to those who didn't have internet access, planning lessons at night and trying to get the relevant evidence together to submit to exam boards predicted grades in lieu of real exams.

I'm sick to death of this view that everyone working in the education did nothing over lockdown. It's completely ill-informed, just like the people who believe that during the summer holidays that teachers have six weeks off and do nothing during them, which is yet another myth, A whole academic year doesn't get planned by itself you know.

Well said, too many on here make up what they think and pass it off as gospel. Still who needs the truth when an outrageous statement will do. I do wonder sometimes reading comments on here, even from educated people, they need to stop being a keyboard warrior and get out and really making a difference.
Most have no idea how much harder it is to prepare an online lesson, deliver it and then get the learners to engage.
Login to get fewer ads

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 16:08 - Nov 1 with 1421 viewsmikeybloo88

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 11:09 - Nov 1 by b1079blue

The way I read the figures are the biggest areas of transmissions appear to be universities, factories and areas of high population density. Despite their obvious problems with social distancing I dont see them as a specific high risk area.

You think 2000 cases per 100000 is not high risk, given we were quarantining people a few months ago coming back from countries that had 30 per 100000 and moving regions into tier 3 when they had 700 per 100000? The government have bottled it and gone for the soft targets as they just can't face the flak they'll get by taking the correct but most unpopular decision...
Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 17:12 - Nov 1 with 1388 viewsandytown

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 13:10 - Nov 1 by Mullet

The Tories removed the regulation, but general consensus suggests it should be 18C in rooms.

I would make sure you've seen your risk assessments and raised this with your line managers and union reps. They won't want an epidemic of colds, flu (I can't get my usual vaccine this year anywhere) etc so it shouldn't be a case of being adverserial.

We have someone doing checks to ensure temperatures aren't unreasonable.

Don’t think the risk assessment mentions temperatures, but will check, so thanks for that.
Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 17:25 - Nov 1 with 1379 viewsjas0999

Personal view is it’s the right decision to keep schools open. They have already lost out on their educations. However, I’m glad I haven’t had to make the decision. Impact of closing schools also impacts working families.
Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 18:59 - Nov 1 with 1350 viewspistonbroke

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 09:50 - Nov 1 by Mullet

Teachers didn't work? Care to elaborate with facts, figures and evidence on that one?

I did not say they did not work , I said they did not have to go into work , surely a teacher can understand that , people now saying poor teachers now have to go into work puts them at risk , yes it does and I feel for them but remember during the first lockdown their were plenty of us who had to go to work and mix everyday
Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 19:04 - Nov 1 with 1348 viewspistonbroke

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 11:03 - Nov 1 by BlueBadger

Going by how poorly written this is, I'm not sure that your teachers were ever working...

So what you are saying is , grammar matters over fact , mmmmmm if that’s how the nhs are managing this situation then god help us
Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 19:08 - Nov 1 with 1342 viewsMullet

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 18:59 - Nov 1 by pistonbroke

I did not say they did not work , I said they did not have to go into work , surely a teacher can understand that , people now saying poor teachers now have to go into work puts them at risk , yes it does and I feel for them but remember during the first lockdown their were plenty of us who had to go to work and mix everyday

Quoted from your post

"Like I have said in a previous post , there is some of us who had to work through the previous lockdown as well , teachers did not , "

That's exactly what you said. I remember the first lockdown well. Where teachers had to go in and mix with key worker kids, work from home and create curriculum, resources, lessons on 24hrs notice. Act as carers, parents to their kids and others, learn new IT, help students with it and perform stuff way outside of our usual remit whilst working longer hours and trying to make sure our colleagues and students kept it together.

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 19:12 - Nov 1 with 1340 viewspistonbroke

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 12:46 - Nov 1 by BlueBadger

Don't most most phones have spellcheckers on them nowadays?

Oh, and *betide.

And also, give over, you massive fanny.
[Post edited 1 Nov 2020 12:47]

Don’t mmmmm if you are correcting grammar , should that read do not
Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 19:13 - Nov 1 with 1339 viewsRyorry

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 16:08 - Nov 1 by mikeybloo88

You think 2000 cases per 100000 is not high risk, given we were quarantining people a few months ago coming back from countries that had 30 per 100000 and moving regions into tier 3 when they had 700 per 100000? The government have bottled it and gone for the soft targets as they just can't face the flak they'll get by taking the correct but most unpopular decision...

So far -

Yes 85.5%
No 7.9%
Unsure 6.6%

255 votes; 22 hours left to vote
[Post edited 1 Nov 2020 19:16]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 19:14 - Nov 1 with 1337 viewsCBBlue

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 19:08 - Nov 1 by Mullet

Quoted from your post

"Like I have said in a previous post , there is some of us who had to work through the previous lockdown as well , teachers did not , "

That's exactly what you said. I remember the first lockdown well. Where teachers had to go in and mix with key worker kids, work from home and create curriculum, resources, lessons on 24hrs notice. Act as carers, parents to their kids and others, learn new IT, help students with it and perform stuff way outside of our usual remit whilst working longer hours and trying to make sure our colleagues and students kept it together.

And not forgetting also working through the school holidays as key worker children were still going in.
[Post edited 1 Nov 2020 19:15]

Poll: School on Monday - are you sending in your R, Y1 or Y6 kids?

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 19:16 - Nov 1 with 1332 viewsMullet

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 19:14 - Nov 1 by CBBlue

And not forgetting also working through the school holidays as key worker children were still going in.
[Post edited 1 Nov 2020 19:15]

I notice it has been quoted back at him on the last page of this thread several times now. How odd. We are all wrong it seems.

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 19:27 - Nov 1 with 1326 viewspistonbroke

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 19:16 - Nov 1 by Mullet

I notice it has been quoted back at him on the last page of this thread several times now. How odd. We are all wrong it seems.

Quote back what you like , ok let’s keep it simple , last lockdown a lot of people had to go in to work 5 days a week every week of the month , did teachers ? It’s quite a simple question really
Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 19:30 - Nov 1 with 1316 viewsnoggin

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 19:27 - Nov 1 by pistonbroke

Quote back what you like , ok let’s keep it simple , last lockdown a lot of people had to go in to work 5 days a week every week of the month , did teachers ? It’s quite a simple question really

It's not a competition for who can have the most days off.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 19:31 - Nov 1 with 1315 viewspistonbroke

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 19:27 - Nov 1 by pistonbroke

Oh and by the way , I do not agree schools should be kept open
Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 19:34 - Nov 1 with 1310 viewsMullet

When you're denying saying something, quoting back what you said is fairly crucial. I'm not sure what sort of bizarre argument you're trying to win here. It's quite a simple question no one has asked.

No one has said all teachers went in "5 days a week every week of the month" as that doesn't necessarily happen in normal circumstances. You've even been told what did happen in several places, so what exactly is this point you're trying to dig yourself out of?

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 02:50 - Nov 2 with 1246 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I think it’s bl00dy bonkers that I’m going to be in university, even with the things in place. But I think it’s near on criminal that schoolchildren, who won’t be social distancing because they’re kids remember, will be in lessons whilst the rest of the UK is in lockdown.

It’s either we’re all in lockdown or we’re not. None of this half half nonsense.

As some will know, my course at uni is sports coaching so I’m in twice a week on campus with the rest online. I can say for a fact that the social distancing and idea of not spreading the virus is lost on excited kids when they realise they’re about to do an hour of sport with me rather than a lesson.

All that is occurring with this situation regarding schools and unis means we’re going to be blamed in 6 weeks time when the rate hasn’t dropped enough. Can already see Boris and the press moaning in December about how students have ruined Christmas for the nation.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 11:26 - Nov 2 with 1190 viewspointofblue

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 16:08 - Nov 1 by mikeybloo88

I don’t think closing the schools would be that unpopular a decision though.

As always, they have waited too late but it should be a full lockdown - not a half-hearted one where most things are closed but there are discrepancies. Maybe supermarkets should stay open for emergency purchasing of food and non-alcoholic drinks but people should be being encouraged to shop online and advised to assist their neighbours (via phone calls) who do not have access to the internet.

Universities should be online courses only and, whilst I agree it’s all financial due to the cost of lodgings, the face to face courses should not have commenced in the first place.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 13:19 - Nov 2 with 1152 viewsStokieBlue

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 02:50 - Nov 2 by The_Romford_Blue

I think it’s bl00dy bonkers that I’m going to be in university, even with the things in place. But I think it’s near on criminal that schoolchildren, who won’t be social distancing because they’re kids remember, will be in lessons whilst the rest of the UK is in lockdown.

It’s either we’re all in lockdown or we’re not. None of this half half nonsense.

As some will know, my course at uni is sports coaching so I’m in twice a week on campus with the rest online. I can say for a fact that the social distancing and idea of not spreading the virus is lost on excited kids when they realise they’re about to do an hour of sport with me rather than a lesson.

All that is occurring with this situation regarding schools and unis means we’re going to be blamed in 6 weeks time when the rate hasn’t dropped enough. Can already see Boris and the press moaning in December about how students have ruined Christmas for the nation.

There does seem to be a growing call to close schools.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/550846

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024