Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re 22:27 - Oct 31 with 5636 viewsRyorry

conditions in their own educational establishments, what does the TWTD Brains Trust make of tonight's statement by the Prime * saying that schools, colleges & Unis will be allowed to remain open despite the lockdown?

Further mix of views here -

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 09:41 - Nov 1 with 1728 viewsWD19

Keir Starmer just gave the clearest and most unequivocal statement I have heard from a politician in an interview in years.

Schools *MUST* stay open.
Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 09:46 - Nov 1 with 1715 viewsStokieBlue

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 09:41 - Nov 1 by WD19

Keir Starmer just gave the clearest and most unequivocal statement I have heard from a politician in an interview in years.

Interesting.

I'm not actually sure I agree with him. If this lockdown is going to be a month (which I doubt) then I don't think kids missing 4 more weeks is the end of the world. It's not ideal but it's doable if there is an exit strategy in a months time. That obviously makes a mockery of not starting it over half-term though when one of those weeks was off anyway.

Whilst possible vectors like work and school remain open it seems unlikely this lockdown will be enough to "save Christmas". If someone in a class has C19 and they go into school and pass it onto their classmates (very likely unless there is a lot of ventilation) then they will go home and give it to their family because everyone is inside due to lockdown and the colder weather. Transmission may be slowed but I I doubt it will be stopped.

Once again this is a great link on how C19 spreads inside without ventilation:

https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-10-28/a-room-a-bar-and-a-class-how-the-c

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 09:50 - Nov 1 with 1710 viewsMullet

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 23:25 - Oct 31 by pistonbroke

Like I have said in a previous post , there is some of us who had to work through the previous lockdown as well , teachers did not , anyway considering the 2 biggest places of infection are universities/ schools and the work place , then surely these are the places to lockdown to get rid of the virus

Teachers didn't work? Care to elaborate with facts, figures and evidence on that one?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 09:51 - Nov 1 with 1707 viewsAce_High1

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 09:46 - Nov 1 by StokieBlue

Interesting.

I'm not actually sure I agree with him. If this lockdown is going to be a month (which I doubt) then I don't think kids missing 4 more weeks is the end of the world. It's not ideal but it's doable if there is an exit strategy in a months time. That obviously makes a mockery of not starting it over half-term though when one of those weeks was off anyway.

Whilst possible vectors like work and school remain open it seems unlikely this lockdown will be enough to "save Christmas". If someone in a class has C19 and they go into school and pass it onto their classmates (very likely unless there is a lot of ventilation) then they will go home and give it to their family because everyone is inside due to lockdown and the colder weather. Transmission may be slowed but I I doubt it will be stopped.

https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-10-28/a-room-a-bar-and-a-class-how-the-c

SB

I still think they will close schools early in December. Say second week of December, as we go into an extended period with the current rules as the infection rates will not fall enough.

Then a brief relaxation for 2-3 days over Christmas so the Gov can score a few headlines and then schools go back and we stay in the Tiered local restrictions until another "lockdown" (hate using the word as what we have is not a lockdown - Melbourne was a lockdown, Spain first time was a lockdown) late January through to start of March.
Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 09:57 - Nov 1 with 1705 viewsTractorWood

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 09:38 - Nov 1 by b1079blue

Universities are a different case, pulling students in from cross the country was always going to be a problem.
I do have a problem with teachers saying they are all for schools opening as long as it is safe to do so. To me this is a cop out. Nowhere is 100% safe. I would be interested to see how many teachers who believe their schools are not safe are in the pub, gym or playing footie on a Saturday.
The biggest outbreaks in this region has been in the food processing industry where staff do not have a choice, do not have union representation and no work, no pay.

School should be open it teaches resilience, social skills and as a country we cannot say to two whole years groups go home, sit in front of your screen.

This 'sit in front of your screen' stigma is damaging. Huge swathes of businesses are doing it, uni's are doing it and if it's deemed obviously dangerous to staff and the country, then schools should do it too.

Schools as an entity are an emotive topic with millions of stakeholders who all have different views. The Government's role is to be decisive, not 90 minutes late to a press conference for a vastly delayed lockdown, the detail of which has all been leaked anyway.
[Post edited 1 Nov 2020 10:01]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 09:57 - Nov 1 with 1702 viewsMullet

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 23:50 - Oct 31 by Nthsuffolkblue

Fair enough if you are pointing out we worked from home but what you actually said was teachers did not work. We worked jolly hard working from home doing the very best for our students we could I can assure you.

Apologies I see you got there before me.

I am very worried about what this will mean for exams. Some areas will be barely affected, others like mine will have massive gaps in attendance and access. Will we all be judged accordingly?

I knew I'd get ill given how things were going, trying to bridge the gaps of me being forced to stay home and recover this week and get something made that is suitable for lessons today will be fun.

Some kids have missed 6 out of 8 weeks this past half term either through multiple exposures or simply parents not allowing them to come in or a combination of the two. They won't disappear from the system or be expected to be given a pass on their exams will they?

But I'm sure this won't matter when we don't work at the first opportunity eh?

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 10:02 - Nov 1 with 1689 viewsMullet

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 09:41 - Nov 1 by WD19

I think they should too, but on a radically different program. E.g. Year 11's who are sitting exams in as normal and then a rota of year groups (who only use one part of the building anyway) in twice a week. Allowing for cleaning of those areas everyday.

It has been an impossible job to make schools safe, but they can be safer. Everyone in them will make mistakes daily etc. But if you limit contact and chances for contact it will stall the spread at least.

The biggest issue is kids and families are mixing the second they are out of the gates. We sent some kids home last term, and they met me in the car park asking for work. They were with mates who hadn't been exposed to the case and didn't see why that was a problem or a risk. How many instances of that could we cut down on by managing the risk better?

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 10:13 - Nov 1 with 1664 viewsmikeybloo88

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 09:38 - Nov 1 by b1079blue

Universities are a different case, pulling students in from cross the country was always going to be a problem.
I do have a problem with teachers saying they are all for schools opening as long as it is safe to do so. To me this is a cop out. Nowhere is 100% safe. I would be interested to see how many teachers who believe their schools are not safe are in the pub, gym or playing footie on a Saturday.
The biggest outbreaks in this region has been in the food processing industry where staff do not have a choice, do not have union representation and no work, no pay.

School should be open it teaches resilience, social skills and as a country we cannot say to two whole years groups go home, sit in front of your screen.

The point was not about teacher safety orvthecsafetybof individual workplaces, although that clearly is extremely important...it was more that if we're serious about reducing the growth of cases, schools should be closed as not only do they have more cases in a concentrated indoor environment than most places, those cases are amongst a less careful and aware sector of the population which has the opportunity to then get into most homes every day. If teenage kids and teachers andcstaff went to school and remained isolated in their own bubble every day it would be different, but they don't...
Login to get fewer ads

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 10:15 - Nov 1 with 1656 viewsNewcyBlue

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 09:50 - Nov 1 by Mullet

Teachers didn't work? Care to elaborate with facts, figures and evidence on that one?

I still can’t believe you thought Darth Vader was in Star Trek.

What are you teaching these kids?!?!

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 10:32 - Nov 1 with 1649 viewsSwansea_Blue

They could coincide it with half term, to make the most of the kids being off.

Or rather they could have if they'd had the foresight to plan it that way.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 10:33 - Nov 1 with 1648 viewsandytown

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 09:46 - Nov 1 by StokieBlue

Interesting.

SB

That link is very interesting; part of my school Covid risk assessment is to have windows open at all times. However, now we are into November and my classroom is in a block with 2 wall mounted electric heaters, we may as well not have them, as they are directly under the windows.
I’ll continue to teach in my coat etc, but as the temperature really drops what then? As one of my students said when I told her that the windows had to stay open, ‘Oh great so we won’t die of Covid, we’ll die from pneumonia instead’.
Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 10:38 - Nov 1 with 1634 viewssolemio

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 10:15 - Nov 1 by NewcyBlue

Darth Who?
Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 10:44 - Nov 1 with 1628 viewsnoggin

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 23:34 - Oct 31 by jaykay

i mean who on earth would put in their manifesto something about free broadband for all

Here, every pupil from year 4 gets a Chromebook laptop. During lockdown they must be logged in to Classroom by 08.30 every morning, Mon-Fri. My daughter's class are currently in quarantine due to a pupil testing positive. Again the class must be logged in tomorrow morning. I don't know the cost to the tax payer, but surely worth looking at.
[Post edited 1 Nov 2020 10:53]

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 10:45 - Nov 1 with 1630 viewsSwansea_Blue

Pretty much the same line the Welsh Government have taken. I can understand the reasoning behind the decision, although there must be a point at which the rise in cases in schools becomes unacceptable. (I've no idea if we're near to that point).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 10:47 - Nov 1 with 1622 viewsgiant_stow

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 10:02 - Nov 1 by Mullet

I think they should too, but on a radically different program. E.g. Year 11's who are sitting exams in as normal and then a rota of year groups (who only use one part of the building anyway) in twice a week. Allowing for cleaning of those areas everyday.

It has been an impossible job to make schools safe, but they can be safer. Everyone in them will make mistakes daily etc. But if you limit contact and chances for contact it will stall the spread at least.

The biggest issue is kids and families are mixing the second they are out of the gates. We sent some kids home last term, and they met me in the car park asking for work. They were with mates who hadn't been exposed to the case and didn't see why that was a problem or a risk. How many instances of that could we cut down on by managing the risk better?

I'm fairly shocked by the behaviour of parents outside the date at drop off and pickup. Our school entrance is down a very narrow ally, so despite being outside, you inevitably get very close to others, but hardly anyone wears a mask! Do these people want the school to shut, because that's how they're behaving. Why risk it ffs?!

Anyway, i too hope schools stay open - kids have suffered enough.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 10:50 - Nov 1 with 1614 viewsnoggin

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 10:47 - Nov 1 by giant_stow

I'm fairly shocked by the behaviour of parents outside the date at drop off and pickup. Our school entrance is down a very narrow ally, so despite being outside, you inevitably get very close to others, but hardly anyone wears a mask! Do these people want the school to shut, because that's how they're behaving. Why risk it ffs?!

Anyway, i too hope schools stay open - kids have suffered enough.

But if schools are a hotbed for spreading the infection, surely they're likely to take the virus home with them?

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 10:54 - Nov 1 with 1600 viewsMullet

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 10:15 - Nov 1 by NewcyBlue

I can't believe I trolled you so easily frankly.

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 10:54 - Nov 1 with 1600 viewsRyorry

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 10:33 - Nov 1 by andytown

That link is very interesting; part of my school Covid risk assessment is to have windows open at all times. However, now we are into November and my classroom is in a block with 2 wall mounted electric heaters, we may as well not have them, as they are directly under the windows.
I’ll continue to teach in my coat etc, but as the temperature really drops what then? As one of my students said when I told her that the windows had to stay open, ‘Oh great so we won’t die of Covid, we’ll die from pneumonia instead’.

You answered the question I was about to ask re ventilation!

I've no idea about the cost of such things, but I'd have thought the installation of an air conditioning system in every school in the UK a better way to spend money than blowing £40bn (or whatever it is) on the white elephant that HS2 will be (probably totally obsolete by the time the first passenger steps aboard).

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 11:02 - Nov 1 with 1573 viewsBlueBadger

Interesting.

SB

And if they were truly worried about about reducing contacts whilst preserving time in school, they could have timed to start around half term.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 11:03 - Nov 1 with 1571 viewsBlueBadger

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 23:25 - Oct 31 by pistonbroke

Like I have said in a previous post , there is some of us who had to work through the previous lockdown as well , teachers did not , anyway considering the 2 biggest places of infection are universities/ schools and the work place , then surely these are the places to lockdown to get rid of the virus

Going by how poorly written this is, I'm not sure that your teachers were ever working...

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 11:05 - Nov 1 with 1569 viewsgiant_stow

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 10:50 - Nov 1 by noggin

But if schools are a hotbed for spreading the infection, surely they're likely to take the virus home with them?

I was thinking more about par nts spreading it amongst themselves tbh and that then having knock on affects to the school.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 11:07 - Nov 1 with 1565 viewsNewcyBlue

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 10:54 - Nov 1 by Mullet

I can't believe I trolled you so easily frankly.

I just figured you’re obviously not that cool...

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 11:09 - Nov 1 with 1562 viewsb1079blue

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 10:13 - Nov 1 by mikeybloo88

The point was not about teacher safety orvthecsafetybof individual workplaces, although that clearly is extremely important...it was more that if we're serious about reducing the growth of cases, schools should be closed as not only do they have more cases in a concentrated indoor environment than most places, those cases are amongst a less careful and aware sector of the population which has the opportunity to then get into most homes every day. If teenage kids and teachers andcstaff went to school and remained isolated in their own bubble every day it would be different, but they don't...

The way I read the figures are the biggest areas of transmissions appear to be universities, factories and areas of high population density. Despite their obvious problems with social distancing I dont see them as a specific high risk area.
Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 11:16 - Nov 1 with 1544 viewsBlueBadger

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 23:39 - Oct 31 by Nthsuffolkblue

What does "teachers did not" mean?

What do you think we were doing when all the students were working from home? Sitting with our feet up wishing them luck with finding the work to do?

My job may have been very different for the past 7 months but it certainly hasn't been sitting around. I worked through the past lockdown, I worked this half term and I am working through this lockdown. I hate it when people fall for these lies that we are not working.

Look at the level of literacy his post displays. His teachers have clearly never worked.

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 11:17 - Nov 1 with 1547 viewsMullet

Bearing in mind several teachers on TWTD expressing concerns re on 10:33 - Nov 1 by andytown

Is anyone doing temperature checks out of interest? They may be forced to close if they can't maintain a reasonable working temperature anyway.

We had a big fight on our hands over the air con systems and ensuring that they had been checked and certified as circulating fresh air not circulating old air etc, but as soon as we took it to the bosses - it was all sorted.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024