Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The kit being used for the blanket Covid testing in Liverpool isn't fit for 12:08 - Nov 8 with 1328 viewsRyorry

purpose, apparently. Well there's a surprise ...

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

The kit being used for the blanket Covid testing in Liverpool isn't fit for on 12:13 - Nov 8 with 1286 viewsKeno

Why on earth are they testing blankets?

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

The kit being used for the blanket Covid testing in Liverpool isn't fit for on 12:14 - Nov 8 with 1280 viewsFixed_It

The kit being used for the blanket Covid testing in Liverpool isn't fit for on 12:13 - Nov 8 by Keno

Why on earth are they testing blankets?

Blanketist!

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

The kit being used for the blanket Covid testing in Liverpool isn't fit for on 12:25 - Nov 8 with 1272 viewsWD19

It’s a trial isn’t it!?

Loads of the tests being used for different things are not certified for that specific use, but it doesn’t mean they don’t have value.
The kit being used for the blanket Covid testing in Liverpool isn't fit for on 12:28 - Nov 8 with 1258 viewsKeno

The kit being used for the blanket Covid testing in Liverpool isn't fit for on 12:14 - Nov 8 by Fixed_It

Blanketist!

it was just a throw away line

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

The kit being used for the blanket Covid testing in Liverpool isn't fit for on 12:29 - Nov 8 with 1257 viewspointofblue

I think they may be using two different kinds of tests?

https://liverpool.gov.uk/communities-and-safety/emergency-planning/coronavirus/h

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

The kit being used for the blanket Covid testing in Liverpool isn't fit for on 12:30 - Nov 8 with 1248 viewsRyorry

The kit being used for the blanket Covid testing in Liverpool isn't fit for on 12:25 - Nov 8 by WD19

It’s a trial isn’t it!?

Loads of the tests being used for different things are not certified for that specific use, but it doesn’t mean they don’t have value.

Well if they're running trials, it would surely help if they were using materials that were actually fit for purpose to start with, otherwise it's just a waste of time, no?

The kit being used for the blanket Covid testing in Liverpool isn't fit for on 12:30 - Nov 8 with 1248 viewsm14_blue

The kit being used for the blanket Covid testing in Liverpool isn't fit for on 12:25 - Nov 8 by WD19

It’s a trial isn’t it!?

I think it’s meant to be a trial to see if that sort of systematic testing can work, not a trial to see if the actual test works*

*I have no idea if this test works on people without symptoms or not. If not then it’s completely pointless for this type of mass testing.
The kit being used for the blanket Covid testing in Liverpool isn't fit for on 12:31 - Nov 8 with 1248 viewsfactual_blue

Why waste money on testing blankets? Or have I missed some recent research?

Beaten to it by Keno.

#ohthehumiliation
[Post edited 8 Nov 2020 12:32]

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Login to get fewer ads

The kit being used for the blanket Covid testing in Liverpool isn't fit for on 12:31 - Nov 8 with 1241 viewsFixed_It

The kit being used for the blanket Covid testing in Liverpool isn't fit for on 12:28 - Nov 8 by Keno

it was just a throw away line

Don't tell me...some of your best friends are blankets!

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

The kit being used for the blanket Covid testing in Liverpool isn't fit for on 12:31 - Nov 8 with 1242 viewsTractorWood

I'm not sure how the test can tell if you've coughed a few times or not.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

The kit being used for the blanket Covid testing in Liverpool isn't fit for on 12:32 - Nov 8 with 1242 viewsRyorry

The kit being used for the blanket Covid testing in Liverpool isn't fit for on 12:29 - Nov 8 by pointofblue

I think they may be using two different kinds of tests?

https://liverpool.gov.uk/communities-and-safety/emergency-planning/coronavirus/h

Ah, didn't know that, thanks - fine if they're using the correct ones for the correct situation, but I certainly wouldn't hold my breath on that ...

The kit being used for the blanket Covid testing in Liverpool isn't fit for on 12:36 - Nov 8 with 1229 viewspointofblue

The kit being used for the blanket Covid testing in Liverpool isn't fit for on 12:32 - Nov 8 by Ryorry

Ah, didn't know that, thanks - fine if they're using the correct ones for the correct situation, but I certainly wouldn't hold my breath on that ...

I think the local council would soon be saying otherwise if they weren’t!

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

The kit being used for the blanket Covid testing in Liverpool isn't fit for on 13:20 - Nov 8 with 1174 viewsHarry_Palmer

The entire notion of mass testing and then potentially quarantining people who have no symptoms off the back of a test which is not accurate is madness. The main PCR tests are proven inaccurate and it looks like these are as well.

And another thing, If we have everybody in Lockdown for four weeks anyway then why are we inviting people out of their homes in large numbers to queue up and get tested?
I can't believe that anybody thinking logically would conclude that this is a good use of £106 million of public funds.

More and more scientists are calling the Governments actions out as, well, anti-science frankly, especially based yet again on false projections and in the light of the real data showing that cases in areas such as Liverpool were stabilizing or dropping prior to lockdown, not to mention that deaths are normal for the time of year.

I notice also that we have another exposure in the Times of a large conflict of interest relating to somebody that is supposed to be impartially deciding which vaccine/treatments should be selected for the UK public. The truth is slowly emerging and I don't think they are going to be able to keep the lies / and or utter incompetence up for much longer.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/coronavirus-vaccine-taskforce-chief-mana

You'll have to forgive me for not hanging around for further 'debate' on this but my time is precious today and I have no intention of defending myself for hours and likely copping abuse. Thanks for highlighting this.
[Post edited 8 Nov 2020 13:34]
The kit being used for the blanket Covid testing in Liverpool isn't fit for on 13:42 - Nov 8 with 1125 viewsHarry_Palmer

The kit being used for the blanket Covid testing in Liverpool isn't fit for on 13:20 - Nov 8 by Harry_Palmer

The entire notion of mass testing and then potentially quarantining people who have no symptoms off the back of a test which is not accurate is madness. The main PCR tests are proven inaccurate and it looks like these are as well.

And another thing, If we have everybody in Lockdown for four weeks anyway then why are we inviting people out of their homes in large numbers to queue up and get tested?
I can't believe that anybody thinking logically would conclude that this is a good use of £106 million of public funds.

More and more scientists are calling the Governments actions out as, well, anti-science frankly, especially based yet again on false projections and in the light of the real data showing that cases in areas such as Liverpool were stabilizing or dropping prior to lockdown, not to mention that deaths are normal for the time of year.

I notice also that we have another exposure in the Times of a large conflict of interest relating to somebody that is supposed to be impartially deciding which vaccine/treatments should be selected for the UK public. The truth is slowly emerging and I don't think they are going to be able to keep the lies / and or utter incompetence up for much longer.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/coronavirus-vaccine-taskforce-chief-mana

You'll have to forgive me for not hanging around for further 'debate' on this but my time is precious today and I have no intention of defending myself for hours and likely copping abuse. Thanks for highlighting this.

Just to add to the point about people having to queue for tests...

But some residents decried the first day of the mass testing regime as a 'shambles' because those who were well were forced to mingle in hour-long queues with people potentially infected with Covid-19.

Photographer David Colbran, 51, told MailOnline yesterday he was left queuing up with people that had symptoms despite feeling well and said 'it's not until you get to the first person in hi-vis that they ask you if you have symptoms and you realise you have been stood with people who have symptoms for over an hour'.

Sounds like a brilliant scheme to cut down infection numbers....
The kit being used for the blanket Covid testing in Liverpool isn't fit for on 13:51 - Nov 8 with 1105 viewsStokieBlue

The kit being used for the blanket Covid testing in Liverpool isn't fit for on 13:20 - Nov 8 by Harry_Palmer

Whilst I agree the notion of mass testing an entire city at this stage of the pandemic (and probably any other stage) doesn't make any sense for a variety of reasons I am going to have to take issue with this:

"main PCR tests are proven inaccurate"

This has been thrown around on here and other places a lot and it's disingenious in my opinion. Stating they are not accurate isn't really true and gives people a false impression which may lead to them ignoring the results. They are certainly not perfect (although that's not uncommon) but to say they are inaccurate isn't correct.

"The current rate of operational false-positive swab tests in the UK is unknown; preliminary estimates show it could be somewhere between 0·8% and 4·0%."

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanres/article/PIIS2213-2600(20)30453-7/fullt

So not perfect as we know but if you take 100 tests it's going to be right between 96 and 100 times so I think you need to clarify your statements when they are made.

Enjoy your busy day.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

The kit being used for the blanket Covid testing in Liverpool isn't fit for on 13:52 - Nov 8 with 1100 viewsStokieBlue

The kit being used for the blanket Covid testing in Liverpool isn't fit for on 13:42 - Nov 8 by Harry_Palmer

Just to add to the point about people having to queue for tests...

But some residents decried the first day of the mass testing regime as a 'shambles' because those who were well were forced to mingle in hour-long queues with people potentially infected with Covid-19.

Photographer David Colbran, 51, told MailOnline yesterday he was left queuing up with people that had symptoms despite feeling well and said 'it's not until you get to the first person in hi-vis that they ask you if you have symptoms and you realise you have been stood with people who have symptoms for over an hour'.

Sounds like a brilliant scheme to cut down infection numbers....

It's nonsensical I agree.

I can't see what the upside is at this time. If it's designed to allow people to go about their business then they can't anyway as we are locked down for another 4 weeks.

I haven't read a lot about the scheme though, been a busy few days.

SB

The kit being used for the blanket Covid testing in Liverpool isn't fit for on 14:00 - Nov 8 with 1079 viewsAce_High1

The kit being used for the blanket Covid testing in Liverpool isn't fit for on 13:52 - Nov 8 by StokieBlue

It's nonsensical I agree.

I can't see what the upside is at this time. If it's designed to allow people to go about their business then they can't anyway as we are locked down for another 4 weeks.

I haven't read a lot about the scheme though, been a busy few days.

SB

I agree in principle, but the idea of this one is a trial to see if they can handle the logistics/volumes of tests?

Of course they need to address the segregation of people waiting to go in.

The idea being it will be quicker to upscale this mass testing than it will to roll out (if we find a viable) vaccine to the mass population?

If tests were in plentiful supply and they eventually get the ones which can be done at home, then this might be the only way back to some normality in the next couple of years?
The kit being used for the blanket Covid testing in Liverpool isn't fit for on 14:10 - Nov 8 with 1067 viewsStokieBlue

The kit being used for the blanket Covid testing in Liverpool isn't fit for on 14:00 - Nov 8 by Ace_High1

I agree in principle, but the idea of this one is a trial to see if they can handle the logistics/volumes of tests?

Of course they need to address the segregation of people waiting to go in.

The idea being it will be quicker to upscale this mass testing than it will to roll out (if we find a viable) vaccine to the mass population?

If tests were in plentiful supply and they eventually get the ones which can be done at home, then this might be the only way back to some normality in the next couple of years?

But it doesn't make sense to do it when they have told everyone to stay home. I'm only allowed to see a single person from another household but you know that households will be using the testing as an excuse to mingle.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/nov/06/operation-moonshot-covid-mass-te

Also if the test isn't brilliant (which could possibly be the case) it leads to people mingling with others thinking they are free of C19 when they aren't.

"The 20-minute tests, on which the government has spent £323m for use with hospital and care home staff with no symptoms, identified only 46.7% of infections during a crucial trial in Manchester and Salford last month."

I can understand the desire to attempt to go this route but it might be too early.

SB

The kit being used for the blanket Covid testing in Liverpool isn't fit for on 14:55 - Nov 8 with 1006 viewsBlueBadger

Lest we forget, a regular poster on this board ended up with a member of their family in hospital probably thanks to asymptomatic carriage of covid-19. It as is grossly irresponsible to say 'you crack on then lad' to someone with a positive test but no symptoms as it is to supply kit which is not up to the job.

Incidentally, the 'normal' percentage of 'false negatives' is around 15-20%.
The percentage of 'false positives' is 0-4%.
So there's probably more carriers wandering around out there than not.

Still, good of you to run off before the facts turn up.
[Post edited 8 Nov 2020 16:17]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

The kit being used for the blanket Covid testing in Liverpool isn't fit for on 16:18 - Nov 8 with 935 viewseireblue

The kit being used for the blanket Covid testing in Liverpool isn't fit for on 14:55 - Nov 8 by BlueBadger

Lest we forget, a regular poster on this board ended up with a member of their family in hospital probably thanks to asymptomatic carriage of covid-19. It as is grossly irresponsible to say 'you crack on then lad' to someone with a positive test but no symptoms as it is to supply kit which is not up to the job.

Incidentally, the 'normal' percentage of 'false negatives' is around 15-20%.
The percentage of 'false positives' is 0-4%.
So there's probably more carriers wandering around out there than not.

Still, good of you to run off before the facts turn up.
[Post edited 8 Nov 2020 16:17]

It is a shame that the sites T&C’s put such tight time restrictions between the time of thinking of posting something and actually posting something.

If only Harry could have waited a day or two and then posted and stuck around.
Oh well, them’s the breaks.
The kit being used for the blanket Covid testing in Liverpool isn't fit for on 17:22 - Nov 8 with 880 viewsEastTownBlue

You consider this four week period to be a "lockdown" ?
The kit being used for the blanket Covid testing in Liverpool isn't fit for on 17:58 - Nov 8 with 856 viewsBlueBadger

The kit being used for the blanket Covid testing in Liverpool isn't fit for on 16:18 - Nov 8 by eireblue

It is a shame that the sites T&C’s put such tight time restrictions between the time of thinking of posting something and actually posting something.

If only Harry could have waited a day or two and then posted and stuck around.
Oh well, them’s the breaks.

Gav should install this with the next update.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024