Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We might want to be careful with the banners... 09:29 - Dec 3 with 7176 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at the owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

We might want to be careful with the banners... on 13:33 - Dec 3 with 478 viewshype313

Absolute tosh, "For the sake of trying to look cool" do you honestly believe that statement to be true?

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

We might want to be careful with the banners... on 13:38 - Dec 3 with 460 viewswkj

There clearly is a line on where and what we do with banners, but this to me is appropriate. If we're going to spend years moaning about Evans, then do something about it.

As long as it is legal and no one/no one's property comes to harm - The pressure should be suffocating towards Evans now. If he sells the club, and it folds - I would be mortified; but the longer Evans is here, the less attractive the club looks for buyers, and the more we are starting to look like a club slowly folding anyway.

At this stage if ITFC did fold, and it had to rise from the ashes as a fan led consortium or something similar, I would be more inclined to follow and support it than the current 13 year old hijacking of our legacy.
[Post edited 3 Dec 2020 13:41]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

We might want to be careful with the banners... on 14:08 - Dec 3 with 421 viewssotd78

The worry that Evans might walk away is I think pretty slim; given that the debt is actually owed to him and no -one else. Sure he might decide to put us into administration - that would probably actually clear the debt; we might cease to exist (as similar to Bury) and we might have to start again.

But Evans doesn't own the ground - he might blight the stands by not maintaining them but the ground (thankfully) is still in the hands of Ipswich Borough Council - despite his best efforts early days to buy the freehold. Presumably if we went "bust" the Council would be able to re-rent the ground to anyone else.
A new club could arguably rise out of this; it might have to start in tier 6 or worse of the football pyramid but it would and could be re-started. We'd not be put into too low a level in the football structure because the really smaller clubs would nver cope with thousands of away fans; so that threat is also moot.

There's enough of a fan base to attract a new investor. They might actually be no better than Evans but I think the fear of him walking away is pretty remote. Unless the attacks on him get personal and in his face I guess he'll just shut the double glazing and ignore the calls to go.

What really is lacking is a clear statement every few months about where we are and how the club intends to be. May be we want to get out of Division 1 but we are now hamstrung by the salary cap; perhaps there's been a message made to players who wanted away - that they stay - perhaps not a strong enough statement and perhaps some of the back room struggles are with those players - all of whom are miraculously always injured.

Who knows. The club has a dilemma - how much dirty linen to air in public versus how much secrecy they keep that then allows all the vitriol to build up.

The issue at present I think is actually not Evans - he's going to bankroll what he thinks we need. The issue in my book is the inept management of Paul Lambert - those who called him PRP and nothing much else may well be proven right!

There's much more to this than meets the eye, I think.

Blue shirts/white shorts - sotd78

We might want to be careful with the banners... on 14:11 - Dec 3 with 421 viewsSpruceMoose

We might want to be careful with the banners... on 13:30 - Dec 3 by Lockdownleonard

Touché!
I tend to let things go when it isn’t work-related, as a reminder that style and presentation isn’t always critical.
I’ve clearly upset the purists, but I’ll take that over getting it wrong for a massive corporate.

You're not even in the top 100 trolls I've seen on here. Sad!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

We might want to be careful with the banners... on 14:33 - Dec 3 with 407 viewsnodge_blue

I agree with you. People may be fed up that we aren't successful but we have to remember that we are still talking about football clubs surviving at this moment in time.

At least Evans is attending games and looks interested.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

We might want to be careful with the banners... on 14:45 - Dec 3 with 389 viewsjayessess

We might want to be careful with the banners... on 14:33 - Dec 3 by nodge_blue

I agree with you. People may be fed up that we aren't successful but we have to remember that we are still talking about football clubs surviving at this moment in time.

At least Evans is attending games and looks interested.

Not much point in attending games if you're not capable of seeing what's right in front of your eyes.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

We might want to be careful with the banners... on 14:46 - Dec 3 with 383 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

We might want to be careful with the banners... on 13:28 - Dec 3 by DropCliffsNotBombs

Deal, but don't expect classy beans.

Just the regular 'throwing beans' will be fine.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

We might want to be careful with the banners... on 14:48 - Dec 3 with 380 viewsnodge_blue

We might want to be careful with the banners... on 14:45 - Dec 3 by jayessess

Not much point in attending games if you're not capable of seeing what's right in front of your eyes.

Look I think Lambert's time is up. All Im saying is that I don't see the point in having a go at the owner at a time when the existence of clubs is under threat.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Login to get fewer ads

We might want to be careful with the banners... on 14:48 - Dec 3 with 378 viewsSpruceMoose

We might want to be careful with the banners... on 14:46 - Dec 3 by The_Flashing_Smile

I've been looking for an excuse to use my bean cannon! I'm in!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

We might want to be careful with the banners... on 14:59 - Dec 3 with 371 viewsjayessess

We might want to be careful with the banners... on 14:48 - Dec 3 by nodge_blue

Look I think Lambert's time is up. All Im saying is that I don't see the point in having a go at the owner at a time when the existence of clubs is under threat.

The owner is the one who seems to have designed a 5-year plan around Lambert. He's also the one who is indulging Lambert's extended tantrum about being scrutinised. He also seems to be perfectly happy to let Lambert's ego damage the club's relationship with both local media and supporters.

Is there anyone else worth having a go at?

We might want to be careful with the banners... on 15:13 - Dec 3 with 338 viewsRyorry

We might want to be careful with the banners... on 14:08 - Dec 3 by sotd78

The worry that Evans might walk away is I think pretty slim; given that the debt is actually owed to him and no -one else. Sure he might decide to put us into administration - that would probably actually clear the debt; we might cease to exist (as similar to Bury) and we might have to start again.

But Evans doesn't own the ground - he might blight the stands by not maintaining them but the ground (thankfully) is still in the hands of Ipswich Borough Council - despite his best efforts early days to buy the freehold. Presumably if we went "bust" the Council would be able to re-rent the ground to anyone else.
A new club could arguably rise out of this; it might have to start in tier 6 or worse of the football pyramid but it would and could be re-started. We'd not be put into too low a level in the football structure because the really smaller clubs would nver cope with thousands of away fans; so that threat is also moot.

There's enough of a fan base to attract a new investor. They might actually be no better than Evans but I think the fear of him walking away is pretty remote. Unless the attacks on him get personal and in his face I guess he'll just shut the double glazing and ignore the calls to go.

What really is lacking is a clear statement every few months about where we are and how the club intends to be. May be we want to get out of Division 1 but we are now hamstrung by the salary cap; perhaps there's been a message made to players who wanted away - that they stay - perhaps not a strong enough statement and perhaps some of the back room struggles are with those players - all of whom are miraculously always injured.

Who knows. The club has a dilemma - how much dirty linen to air in public versus how much secrecy they keep that then allows all the vitriol to build up.

The issue at present I think is actually not Evans - he's going to bankroll what he thinks we need. The issue in my book is the inept management of Paul Lambert - those who called him PRP and nothing much else may well be proven right!

There's much more to this than meets the eye, I think.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

We might want to be careful with the banners... on 15:17 - Dec 3 with 342 viewsDropCliffsNotBombs

We might want to be careful with the banners... on 14:46 - Dec 3 by The_Flashing_Smile

Apparently bean throwing has its own festival in Japan.
We might want to be careful with the banners... on 16:19 - Dec 3 with 292 viewsKeaneish

We might want to be careful with the banners... on 09:41 - Dec 3 by Plums

Slide?
He’s taken a top 10 Championship club and a major community asset and turned it into a poundshop, League 1 also-ran in 13 years. If that places him above open, public criticism then we really have gone through the looking glass.
If he walks away, the massive debt is wiped off which means someone who understands the game and fans might, just might - have a chance of stepping in.
The slow, painful death of what’s been a major, daily (thanks to TWTD) part of my life for 42 years is not something that should be perpetuated through inaction.

Well done Blue Action, more of us need to stand up.

Its funny how history has turned. The rich and powerful used to be fearful of the mass as documented in Adam Smith's 'Wealth of Nations' yet its the mass who now live in fear of the elite. Why?

Lets look at it the other way, as you point out. If ever ME were forced to leave without a sale, there would be no debt although he part owns Playford Road, which is a concern. If he were pressured into a sale, all the better. In truth, we should be in a win-win situation rather than be fearful of the unknown. Anything is better than this slow painful demise, surely?

We're a big enough club with a big enough fan base to keep this going without ME. It would take an enormous amount of co-ordination and effort but if their were no buyers, the idea of being a genuine community run club I'd have thought would be appealing to most.

ME has had a free pass for years now and we've been very soft. Fair play to Blue Action and more power to them. The time to force Evan's hand is nigh now we're teetering on the edge.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

We might want to be careful with the banners... on 16:29 - Dec 3 with 277 viewsjayessess

We might want to be careful with the banners... on 16:19 - Dec 3 by Keaneish

Its funny how history has turned. The rich and powerful used to be fearful of the mass as documented in Adam Smith's 'Wealth of Nations' yet its the mass who now live in fear of the elite. Why?

Lets look at it the other way, as you point out. If ever ME were forced to leave without a sale, there would be no debt although he part owns Playford Road, which is a concern. If he were pressured into a sale, all the better. In truth, we should be in a win-win situation rather than be fearful of the unknown. Anything is better than this slow painful demise, surely?

We're a big enough club with a big enough fan base to keep this going without ME. It would take an enormous amount of co-ordination and effort but if their were no buyers, the idea of being a genuine community run club I'd have thought would be appealing to most.

ME has had a free pass for years now and we've been very soft. Fair play to Blue Action and more power to them. The time to force Evan's hand is nigh now we're teetering on the edge.

One thing I would say is that Evans is a bit of a lightning rod for some more general frustrations our supporters have with modern football. Our revenues for our last season in the Championship were amongst the smallest in the division and our wage budget was 106% of our total revenue.

So whilst we think Evans is stingy, the reality of being a community-run club would mean *more* financial constraints, not less. Which would be fine if most supporters were accepting of that, set their expectations (if not their hopes) accordingly, got behind the club and set out to enjoy whatever it was the club's restricted circumstances could manage. We might even feel more positive about our club if we could rationalise low investment as the price of owning our club, rather than a product of one man's whims. But that's not necessarily how it would go...
[Post edited 3 Dec 2020 16:31]

We might want to be careful with the banners... on 16:38 - Dec 3 with 261 viewsKeaneish

We might want to be careful with the banners... on 16:29 - Dec 3 by jayessess

One thing I would say is that Evans is a bit of a lightning rod for some more general frustrations our supporters have with modern football. Our revenues for our last season in the Championship were amongst the smallest in the division and our wage budget was 106% of our total revenue.

So whilst we think Evans is stingy, the reality of being a community-run club would mean *more* financial constraints, not less. Which would be fine if most supporters were accepting of that, set their expectations (if not their hopes) accordingly, got behind the club and set out to enjoy whatever it was the club's restricted circumstances could manage. We might even feel more positive about our club if we could rationalise low investment as the price of owning our club, rather than a product of one man's whims. But that's not necessarily how it would go...
[Post edited 3 Dec 2020 16:31]

Yeah, its a good point but my feeling is that more people would feel an association with the club and be part of a joint venture, something where they can see rewards for their efforts and commitments. At the moment, we have no real visibility of what's going on or anything noteworthy to point to for our cash.

Fill Portman Road each week and it solves a lot of financial issues. Would 10k - 12k people come back is the question? Maybe if they were listened to and given the right incentivisation. The upsides of the additional attendances would far outweigh the additional cost but we know there would still be a hole to fill and it would need some backing. Pompey's blend seems to be working OK though.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

We might want to be careful with the banners... on 16:49 - Dec 3 with 243 viewsjayessess

We might want to be careful with the banners... on 16:38 - Dec 3 by Keaneish

Yeah, its a good point but my feeling is that more people would feel an association with the club and be part of a joint venture, something where they can see rewards for their efforts and commitments. At the moment, we have no real visibility of what's going on or anything noteworthy to point to for our cash.

Fill Portman Road each week and it solves a lot of financial issues. Would 10k - 12k people come back is the question? Maybe if they were listened to and given the right incentivisation. The upsides of the additional attendances would far outweigh the additional cost but we know there would still be a hole to fill and it would need some backing. Pompey's blend seems to be working OK though.

Like you say I think that feeling of being part of something and that sensation that your voice and your contribution counts would be absolutely key. They are difficult things to sustain though and responsibility to doing so often ends up on the shoulders of a relatively small number of people. Of late, both Portsmouth and Wrexham supporters effectively sold out and gave up on community-ownership.
[Post edited 3 Dec 2020 16:49]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024