Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I really miss the old North Stand 08:25 - Dec 22 with 7672 viewschrismakin

Looking at some old pictures, it really was a great home end

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

I really miss the old North Stand on 13:00 - Dec 22 with 2255 viewswkj

I really miss the old North Stand on 12:08 - Dec 22 by Radlett_blue

Why would Evans ever want to do that when Town don't own their ground, so have no asset to sell to fund it?

His big ambition was to create a complex around ITFC was it not?

For clarity, it was less of a retroactive prediction and more of a musing about ME's old plans and aims for ITFC

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

I really miss the old North Stand on 14:37 - Dec 22 with 2182 viewschrismakin

Maybe if we're get succesful again, we can ask them to extend the bottom tier roof so that we have a mini north stand under the new one

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

I really miss the old North Stand on 14:44 - Dec 22 with 2178 viewsFunge

I really miss the old North Stand on 10:49 - Dec 22 by judespiveyg

In response to your last point, I've only seen Ipswich from Keane, my first game was the Pablo Coventry game not long after my 8th birthday.

I never feel sorry for myself and others my age, you have no idea just how low my expectations are for this team, it can literally only get better at this point and I certainly won't take it for granted when it does. I always feel more sorry for you older lot who have memory of seeing an Ipswich team which is actually good, must make watching now so much more painful.

Pretty bloody good game to start with - assuming you stayed til the end....
I really miss the old North Stand on 16:53 - Dec 22 with 2127 viewsronnyd

To me, football has never been the same for atmosphere since all seater stadia.
I really miss the old North Stand on 18:06 - Dec 22 with 2089 viewsRadlett_blue

I really miss the old North Stand on 12:52 - Dec 22 by yesjohn99

I was invited to a consultation type meeting with around 8-10 other supporters to discuss what we would want the new stand to look like and what facilities would be in it.

Everyone one said single tier/bank, much like Fratton Park. The planners/developers said it couldn’t be done unless the the housing on alderman road was purchased too due to space constraints.

Hindsight and all that but I do really wish I said ‘do not build’ and left it at that.

Yes, given land & planning constraints, a single tier larger North stand couldn't possibly have been justified on economic grounds. The whole project was based on economics, given the apparent demand for tickets.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

I really miss the old North Stand on 18:15 - Dec 22 with 2074 viewsghostofescobar

Me too (not the "movement"). The smell of alcohol, the crush, the noise, the joy, coming out from underneath the stand and having all your senses hit, the excitement, trying to push your way as far towards the back as you could (sometimes impossible, as it was so packed full), throwing your hands in the air as another chant rang out, surging forward as we scored (how come no one broke an ankle as we plummeted forward over a multitude of steps?), throwing your head back to shout out a chant as loud as you can, being hoarse at the end of a game, being shoulder to shoulder, surging towards the away fans, hands in the air, shouting venom towards them, the ear splitting noise, jumping like a lunatic when we scored, out of breath through singing so hard, head hurting as the alcohol wore off.........wow, what days. TWTfvckingD.

GhostOfEscobar

I really miss the old North Stand on 18:21 - Dec 22 with 2067 viewsthebooks

I was lucky enough to go in the North Stand from about the age of 8, which would have been 1980. I saw some great matches, but don’t really remember any details.

I do remember the crowd itself, and, my!, that was different to now. My grandad and his brothers would take me along to Mannings, get royally pïssed (them, not me), head to the ground and bundle me through the turnstiles without me paying. They’d then start arguing with the coppers.

The away fans were in the NS, separated by some chicken wire. It was really hairy, loads of coins being thrown through the wire, people climbing up it... The crowd would surge forward as one.

People used to go to the toilet in there...

Sounds awful, but it was awe-inspiring for a young lad.

My grandad stopped going when it went all-seater.
I really miss the old North Stand on 18:24 - Dec 22 with 2057 viewschrismakin

I really miss the old North Stand on 18:21 - Dec 22 by thebooks

I was lucky enough to go in the North Stand from about the age of 8, which would have been 1980. I saw some great matches, but don’t really remember any details.

I do remember the crowd itself, and, my!, that was different to now. My grandad and his brothers would take me along to Mannings, get royally pïssed (them, not me), head to the ground and bundle me through the turnstiles without me paying. They’d then start arguing with the coppers.

The away fans were in the NS, separated by some chicken wire. It was really hairy, loads of coins being thrown through the wire, people climbing up it... The crowd would surge forward as one.

I never sat it in, was always the other end in Churchmans, towards the back near the tunnel entrance.

I was always amazed by the northstand even though it was all seater. It was so loud, it made you want to join in.

Login to get fewer ads

I really miss the old North Stand on 18:28 - Dec 22 with 2051 viewsbluelagos

My first ever match was a New Years day game vs Naaridge (Mid 80s) stood in the West Stand. I remember looking towards the north stand where some town fans were burning yellow and green scarf.

Mesmerizing sight for a teenager and took me a couple of years before I ventured in there, and that was then my my home for a fair few years thereafter. :-)

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

I really miss the old North Stand on 18:30 - Dec 22 with 2053 viewslongtimefan

I really miss the old North Stand on 14:44 - Dec 22 by Funge

Pretty bloody good game to start with - assuming you stayed til the end....

Unfortunately I didn’t I never leave early in normal circumstances but on this occasion I had to get my son to UEA in Norwich for a swimming competition and only way I could guarantee that was making sure we left a few mins from the end. Heard the crowd reaction to the Coventry equaliser walking back to the car and then the winner shortly afterwards. My son still takes every opportunity to remind me of this
I really miss the old North Stand on 18:47 - Dec 22 with 2045 viewsjaykay

I really miss the old North Stand on 10:24 - Dec 22 by Alan_Handsome

The caged walkway between the two sets of fans was something to behold ha ha ha imagine having to walk down there as a copper, with livid fans either side of you. I remember the north stand as fondly as i remember those little blue/green disabled cars that used to pull up on the apron of the pitch in front of Churchmans. As a young lad i was always blown away that they were joystick controlled, rather than having a steering wheel.

pff gaged walk you say , imagine being a poor copper when it was just a thin blue line, between us and the away support. t.w.t.d.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

I really miss the old North Stand on 20:35 - Dec 22 with 2004 viewskeighleyblue

I really miss the old North Stand on 18:21 - Dec 22 by thebooks

Brilliant. Your grandad sounds like a right hoolie!
I really miss the old North Stand on 20:54 - Dec 22 with 1976 viewsChurchman

I really miss the old North Stand on 18:24 - Dec 22 by chrismakin

I never sat it in, was always the other end in Churchmans, towards the back near the tunnel entrance.

I was always amazed by the northstand even though it was all seater. It was so loud, it made you want to join in.

Over the decades, Churchmans was the main place I decamped to, both before and after seating was installed. But I’ve also stood/sat in all parts of the ground. I had a season ticket in the old North Stand the season before it was replaced - and what a season and atmosphere. Loved it. What a racket.

Did a good few years in the middle bit of the Pioneer Stand where you’d get ‘shush’ if you made a noise. The old codgers there got really annoyed when I gave an opposition player plenty as he trudged to the dressing room having been sent off.

In the Cobbold stand, the lower half was standing when it was built and as a kid I’d often go there with a footstool to stand on just in front of a little shed that was in the middle at the back of the terrace. I was there for the Leeds FA Cup game that broke the attendance record. I saw zilch. Good atmosphere though!
[Post edited 22 Dec 2020 21:15]
I really miss the old North Stand on 21:09 - Dec 22 with 1956 viewsPJH

I really miss the old North Stand on 20:54 - Dec 22 by Churchman

Over the decades, Churchmans was the main place I decamped to, both before and after seating was installed. But I’ve also stood/sat in all parts of the ground. I had a season ticket in the old North Stand the season before it was replaced - and what a season and atmosphere. Loved it. What a racket.

Did a good few years in the middle bit of the Pioneer Stand where you’d get ‘shush’ if you made a noise. The old codgers there got really annoyed when I gave an opposition player plenty as he trudged to the dressing room having been sent off.

In the Cobbold stand, the lower half was standing when it was built and as a kid I’d often go there with a footstool to stand on just in front of a little shed that was in the middle at the back of the terrace. I was there for the Leeds FA Cup game that broke the attendance record. I saw zilch. Good atmosphere though!
[Post edited 22 Dec 2020 21:15]

I have also stood or sat in all parts of the ground.

Late 1950's until part way through 1967/68 in the West Stand

Back end of 1967/68 until some time in 1972/73 in North Stand

Some point in 1972/73 until end of 1979/80 in Churchmans

Upper Cobbold ever since although first three years it was at Churchmans end

When moved for cup games or for Leeds I have been in Upper SBR, Lower SAR or various points in Co-Op
I really miss the old North Stand on 21:10 - Dec 22 with 1960 viewsArnieM

I really miss the old North Stand on 12:00 - Dec 22 by trncbluearmy

Yeah watching all the lads, must have been 100 plus easy, walking across the cattle market and those inside signing "there`s more of us to come"
now that was a proper matchday experience as people seem to describe it nowadays, in our day it was just having a bloody good time!

I remember the days when on Boxing Day we would regularly take between 7-9k fans to carrot rood. Being marched Down the road from the station over the bridge and past the back of the Barclay stand.....we used swarm all over that poxy place.... singing “ there’s more of us to come”. It used to be a 45mile long traffic jam up that A140. I can remember starting at the back of the Barclay stand, and ending up at the front when we’d scored a goal...my feet were off the ground lol. Your arms were either up 8n the air for 90 mins or pinned down by your sides.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

I really miss the old North Stand on 05:50 - Dec 23 with 1869 viewsLesta_Tractor

Went to my first match in the old North Stand and loved it, ended up sat in block JJ of the Pioneer when I got a season ticket so still got to enjoy the atmosphere until the old stand was replaced.

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

I really miss the old North Stand on 09:04 - Dec 23 with 1816 viewstrncbluearmy

I really miss the old North Stand on 21:10 - Dec 22 by ArnieM

I remember the days when on Boxing Day we would regularly take between 7-9k fans to carrot rood. Being marched Down the road from the station over the bridge and past the back of the Barclay stand.....we used swarm all over that poxy place.... singing “ there’s more of us to come”. It used to be a 45mile long traffic jam up that A140. I can remember starting at the back of the Barclay stand, and ending up at the front when we’d scored a goal...my feet were off the ground lol. Your arms were either up 8n the air for 90 mins or pinned down by your sides.

Remember when we took the fecker swarming over and under the dividing fence

Great days

"We're the Northstand Ipswich Town"
I really miss the old North Stand on 09:21 - Dec 23 with 1811 viewsBluespeed225

As a kid in the west stand, Easter 78’, Norwich at home, we needed a win and got it, but the memory is of a youthful TS, being raised, holding a Norwich scarf, lighting it, twirling it and flinging it into their side. The fence was on shoulder high then! You can see the evolution of the fence from nothing in mid 70’s, via the aforementioned one, then a single high fence, to the 3 section job. Loved the smell/crush( eased if they opened up the middle). Forest in the Cup 81, Annie scores, I jump, end up from middle to front of stand, magic moment! Arsenal 81’!, Derby 87’, Faces, even the coppers were regulars! Did they dig the front down lower to stop pitch invasions? Newcastle 92’, great atmosphere, though J Block was lively then too! The Brighton game was the last hurrah. Always thought the Sheff Utd game in 03’ might have ‘broken in’ the new stand, but as I stand in Row W, Block 4, under a slab of concrete that wouldn’t be out of place in a Berlin bunker, we often reminisce about the old North. Merry Christmas everyone!😀
I really miss the old North Stand on 11:37 - Dec 23 with 1761 viewsgainsboroughblue

I really miss the old North Stand on 09:21 - Dec 23 by Bluespeed225

As a kid in the west stand, Easter 78’, Norwich at home, we needed a win and got it, but the memory is of a youthful TS, being raised, holding a Norwich scarf, lighting it, twirling it and flinging it into their side. The fence was on shoulder high then! You can see the evolution of the fence from nothing in mid 70’s, via the aforementioned one, then a single high fence, to the 3 section job. Loved the smell/crush( eased if they opened up the middle). Forest in the Cup 81, Annie scores, I jump, end up from middle to front of stand, magic moment! Arsenal 81’!, Derby 87’, Faces, even the coppers were regulars! Did they dig the front down lower to stop pitch invasions? Newcastle 92’, great atmosphere, though J Block was lively then too! The Brighton game was the last hurrah. Always thought the Sheff Utd game in 03’ might have ‘broken in’ the new stand, but as I stand in Row W, Block 4, under a slab of concrete that wouldn’t be out of place in a Berlin bunker, we often reminisce about the old North. Merry Christmas everyone!😀

The first thing I noticed when I graduated to the North Stand was that wall. It was twice the height of the Churchmans one comfortably. I suspect it was done with pitch invasions in mind. There would have been plenty of them I suspect.

Pitch invasions was more a JJ end of West Stand thing back then. But I do remember one from the Portman Terrace in and end of season game v Reading as some 'lads' were camped in there for the day. It was the game where we secured a play-off place at the end of Ferguson's last season and we'd gone the entire season without conceding a goal at our beloved North Stand end.
[Post edited 23 Dec 2020 11:37]

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

I really miss the old North Stand on 12:07 - Dec 23 with 1739 viewstrncbluearmy

https://postimg.cc/QFyTDgBf

a thing of beauty
I really miss the old North Stand on 12:38 - Dec 23 with 1707 viewsjontysnut

I really miss the old North Stand on 12:07 - Dec 23 by trncbluearmy

a thing of beauty

loved those scarves with the black stripe
I really miss the old North Stand on 13:42 - Dec 23 with 1667 viewsgainsboroughblue

I really miss the old North Stand on 12:07 - Dec 23 by trncbluearmy

a thing of beauty

I've seen that pic before and always assumed it was a Wembley shot. Is it from the NS?

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

I really miss the old North Stand on 13:48 - Dec 23 with 1658 viewsjaykay

my best memory of the north stand was f.a. cup sixth round march 1975.
i got into the ground just as they trying to close the the turnstiles gates. it seemed as if thousand were still attempting to get into the north stand.
once in every entrance at the top of the steps were rammed packed full.
luckily i was behind 5 or 6 big blokes who pushed there way through, saying move aside lads plain clothed police coming through. people looked round and parted a bit, so i pushed in behind them and finished half way down the stand.
i dont remember much of that game as it finished 0-0
that was the f.a. cup meant something it took us 4 games to get past leeds , then next round we had another replay against the spam. never forget the replay at chelsea on a cold frosty night and that tw@ norfolk loving thomas cheated us out of our first f.a. cup final

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

I really miss the old North Stand on 13:54 - Dec 23 with 1647 viewstrncbluearmy

I really miss the old North Stand on 13:42 - Dec 23 by gainsboroughblue

I've seen that pic before and always assumed it was a Wembley shot. Is it from the NS?

Northstand, remember the dirty old perspex windows at back and I was in there somewhere!
I really miss the old North Stand on 14:19 - Dec 23 with 1612 viewsBluespeed225

I really miss the old North Stand on 13:42 - Dec 23 by gainsboroughblue

Villa Park 81’ I th8nk.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024