Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Most disappointing signing 12:18 - Feb 2 with 3990 viewsBrianTablet

Which player was the most disappointing signing in terms of: ability, potential, background and cost.

For me, it's Stuart Slater.
I really thought he was just what we needed and that he'd be a guaranteed success with us.

Who would you choose?

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

Most disappointing signing on 14:19 - Feb 2 with 1273 viewsSpruceMoose

Most disappointing signing on 14:18 - Feb 2 by Herbivore

Mental. He cost us £300k and was a perfectly decent Championship left back, coveted by the likes of Wolves and Boro during his time here.

He said some nice things about Mick though , didn't he?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Most disappointing signing on 14:21 - Feb 2 with 1254 viewschicoazul

Most disappointing signing on 14:11 - Feb 2 by Stewart27

I’d have Knudsen on the other list.

Not the worst but bang average would be a compliment.

Madness.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Most disappointing signing on 14:22 - Feb 2 with 1262 viewslongtimefan

Most disappointing signing on 14:04 - Feb 2 by chicoazul

From a banter era perspective it would be quicker to list signings who have NOT been disappointing.
Bart McG Murphy Skise Chambers Mings Knudsen Creswell...who else?

I was going to say there’s a few on that list that certain supporters would disagree with. And looking further down the thread they’ve started...
Most disappointing signing on 14:23 - Feb 2 with 1259 viewsHerbivore

Most disappointing signing on 14:19 - Feb 2 by SpruceMoose

He said some nice things about Mick though , didn't he?

Knudsen had two main things going against him. The first, as you point out, is the perception of him being one of Mick's boys and that inevitably makes the numbskulls lose their minds. The second is that he came in following Mings and Cresswell, both of whom have gone on to play regularly in the Prem and been capped by England. Was he as good as those two? Absolutely not. Was he a perfectly decent second tier left back who would walk into our side now? Yes, of course.
[Post edited 2 Feb 2021 14:23]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Most disappointing signing on 14:26 - Feb 2 with 1251 viewsTieDyedIn95

Alan Judge in recent years, should be the best player in this league by a country mile but as we know he's had a serious injury and a ton of personal stuff so he can't entirely be blamed for all of it. It's just a shame, we'd have been better to have cashed in when we could have done on him and he'd have been happier as well.

I think Slater was a harsh choice given he was alright for us, people forget that West Ham were actually miles behind us in 1992 and when he played there and mostly a second division yoyo-side and Celtic were hardly comparable to Ipswich in terms of what leagues we were both in when he left there, given their standard was poor. Slaters arrival was greatly overhyped at the time given those pretty obvious facts, he was actually taking a bit of a step up to play in the Premier League with Ipswich. He wasn't a bad signing, we just played very negative football before Burley arrived and he was carrying injuries anyway when we signed him.

But in recent years there have been too many to name, there are names that were given so much hype and were absolutely awful beyond compare.

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

Most disappointing signing on 14:28 - Feb 2 with 1244 viewsSpruceMoose

Most disappointing signing on 14:23 - Feb 2 by Herbivore

Knudsen had two main things going against him. The first, as you point out, is the perception of him being one of Mick's boys and that inevitably makes the numbskulls lose their minds. The second is that he came in following Mings and Cresswell, both of whom have gone on to play regularly in the Prem and been capped by England. Was he as good as those two? Absolutely not. Was he a perfectly decent second tier left back who would walk into our side now? Yes, of course.

It's weird that he gets picked out time and time again when we have legitimately been drowning in woeful players over the last decade.

Oh well. I'm sure he's gutted that he's not playing for a team sitting in 11th in League One and instead has to play in the Europa League.
[Post edited 2 Feb 2021 14:29]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Most disappointing signing on 14:29 - Feb 2 with 1241 viewsCoastalblue

Another that springs to mid is Adrian Paz, did we not spin him as a million pound players and in reality it was £200K or something?

He looked like a little boy lost at times, and then when the mullet went it all went downhill. Mind you the other bloke that arrived with him did alright, though after his first game I never thought I'd see him in a Town shirt again.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Most disappointing signing on 14:49 - Feb 2 with 1201 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Most disappointing signing on 13:09 - Feb 2 by BrianTablet

Not Houghton?

Mick signed him.... he left the year we got relegated but stuck around getting fit... did he go to Rotherham or somewhere in the end?

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Login to get fewer ads

Most disappointing signing on 14:55 - Feb 2 with 1191 viewsjaykay

lee chapman cost us £70000 in 1994 from west ham. one goal wasn't a bad return.
mind you brian clough , howard wilkinson plus arsenal had all signed him in the past

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Most disappointing signing on 15:03 - Feb 2 with 1184 viewsRadlett_blue

Most disappointing signing on 12:27 - Feb 2 by Steve_M

Yep, Slater was the one that stood out. So much natural ability but never achieved what he could have done. There were odd glimpses from him here but, even in a side lacking in flair, it was nowhere near enough.

While Lyall was a good manager, he was largely responsible for wasting much Town's transfer kitty on Slater (£750k), Sedgley (£1m) & Paz (£1m). Paz was the biggest disappointment as Town desperately needed a striker & he wasn't remotely up to the mark & unsurprisingly I don't think anyone from Town had actually seen him play.
Slater was a perpetual disappointment & unfortunately Lyall & McGiven thought they could rekindle the form he'd shown as a young player at West Ham, where his early promise had disappeared after an achilles injury. He'd scored 3 goals in his previous 94 games when we signed him from Celtic.
Sedgley was good in the 2nd tier, but nowhere near what you'd expect for a £1m player at the time .

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Most disappointing signing on 15:07 - Feb 2 with 1179 viewsPhilTWTD

Most disappointing signing on 14:08 - Feb 2 by RobTheMonk

Simon Dawkins just because of how crap it was and how far we'd fallen.

Dawkins had been a good player at Championship level before his move to the States, very disappointing for us though in what was really no more than an extended trial.
Most disappointing signing on 15:08 - Feb 2 with 1177 viewsjudespiveyg

Most disappointing signing on 14:23 - Feb 2 by Herbivore

It's wrong to put him on this list because as you say we only paid £300,000 for him which is about right for his ability. He was a straight up average Championship player though (which is admittedly better than where our club currently is), and there's no point pretending otherwise. Do feel he's one of those players who's a bit overrated by some who over-defend him as a result of over-harsh criticism by others when in reality he's neither good or bad enough to warrant strong opinion either way. See also Luke Chambers. I will die on the hill that Knudsen would have been a better centre-half than he was a full-back though.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Most disappointing signing on 15:11 - Feb 2 with 1172 viewsjudespiveyg

Janoi Donacien is the biggest overpay we've ever done but that looked like too much at the time anyway. I'll say Jon Nolan. He was supposed to be our first goalscoring midfielder since Tommy Miller and we paid over a million only for him to be not very good.

Most disappointing signing on 15:12 - Feb 2 with 1167 viewsIpswichKnight

Disappointed I’m the first to mention Adrian Paz, especially due to the rumour it was actually going to be Batistuta instead we got someone who made Stuart Slater look like Roy Keane with his tackling and physicality. Plus point he came over with some Argentinian player.... now what ever happened to him!
Most disappointing signing on 15:15 - Feb 2 with 1159 viewsCoastalblue

Most disappointing signing on 15:12 - Feb 2 by IpswichKnight

Disappointed I’m the first to mention Adrian Paz, especially due to the rumour it was actually going to be Batistuta instead we got someone who made Stuart Slater look like Roy Keane with his tackling and physicality. Plus point he came over with some Argentinian player.... now what ever happened to him!

Actually I think you're maybe the third to mention him, or is it fourth?

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Most disappointing signing on 15:30 - Feb 2 with 1138 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Where to begin? Slater is the earliest one I can remember but (many of these already mentioned):

Priskin (that YouTube collection and then we just lumped the ball up to his head and we realised he was literally an anagram of "It's Sam Parkin")
Parkin
Chopra (after all that chasing for him to no longer be the top player he was when we started chasing him and for him to have all the off-field problems that we perhaps should have been aware of before signing too)
Pretty much every Hurst signing
A good number of Keane's too considering the money and effort spent on bringing them in and the fact it was the end of the ME project.
EDIT: I would add Bullard after the impact he had made on loan and Jaime Peters after all the effort to get him here as an exciting prospect. He did fine but nowhere near the heights I had hoped.
Velice Shumilokoski "the Macedonian Steven Gerrard"
and I can't even recall the name of the "Scottish Michael Owen"! 2nd EDIT: Found him Mark Burchill - albeit he was only on loan.

And, of course, ME himself. How excited that he was going to fund our Premier League return. And look where he has taken us.
[Post edited 2 Feb 2021 15:42]

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Most disappointing signing on 15:34 - Feb 2 with 1128 viewsIpswichKnight

Most disappointing signing on 15:15 - Feb 2 by Coastalblue

Actually I think you're maybe the third to mention him, or is it fourth?

Doh!!
Most disappointing signing on 15:35 - Feb 2 with 1125 viewsHerbivore

Most disappointing signing on 15:08 - Feb 2 by judespiveyg

It's wrong to put him on this list because as you say we only paid £300,000 for him which is about right for his ability. He was a straight up average Championship player though (which is admittedly better than where our club currently is), and there's no point pretending otherwise. Do feel he's one of those players who's a bit overrated by some who over-defend him as a result of over-harsh criticism by others when in reality he's neither good or bad enough to warrant strong opinion either way. See also Luke Chambers. I will die on the hill that Knudsen would have been a better centre-half than he was a full-back though.

No, I don't think that. And £300k was a bit of a bargain, given the money that average Championship players in their early 20s (as he was when we signed him) tend to go for. As I said, it's telling that generally when he was linked to moves away from us it was always to better resourced sides than Town, including sides with better chances of promotion than us at the time. That suggests he was more than capable at that level. As I said, he suffered with not being his predecessors and his first season he was pretty hit and miss. After that he became a reliable if not very exciting second tier full back.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Most disappointing signing on 15:46 - Feb 2 with 1103 viewsHalf_Idiot

Most disappointing signing on 14:49 - Feb 2 by BlueandTruesince82

Mick signed him.... he left the year we got relegated but stuck around getting fit... did he go to Rotherham or somewhere in the end?

I think you're thinking of Grant Ward. Scored a hattrick against Barnsley opening day of the season.

Was a first team regular for a couple of seasons before getting a nasty injury that saw him out for a season. We then released whilst still recovering from his injury.

I think he plays regularly for Blackpool now.
Most disappointing signing on 15:52 - Feb 2 with 1094 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Most disappointing signing on 15:46 - Feb 2 by Half_Idiot

I think you're thinking of Grant Ward. Scored a hattrick against Barnsley opening day of the season.

Was a first team regular for a couple of seasons before getting a nasty injury that saw him out for a season. We then released whilst still recovering from his injury.

I think he plays regularly for Blackpool now.

That's the chap.... underwhelmed in almost every game he played in after that

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Most disappointing signing on 16:29 - Feb 2 with 1083 viewsjudespiveyg

Most disappointing signing on 15:35 - Feb 2 by Herbivore

No, I don't think that. And £300k was a bit of a bargain, given the money that average Championship players in their early 20s (as he was when we signed him) tend to go for. As I said, it's telling that generally when he was linked to moves away from us it was always to better resourced sides than Town, including sides with better chances of promotion than us at the time. That suggests he was more than capable at that level. As I said, he suffered with not being his predecessors and his first season he was pretty hit and miss. After that he became a reliable if not very exciting second tier full back.

So you're saying he was an average, reliable enough Championship full back who was signed for a reasonable, fair price? That's exactly what I said lol. Don't know how that's not agreeing with me. Like I said he's weirdly polarising for some considering he's neither good nor bad enough to have strong feelings about.

Also I doubt Knudsen 'suffered' from Cresswell and Mings, I struggle to see how his predecessors made him any better or worse as a player considering he never played with either.
[Post edited 2 Feb 2021 16:42]

Most disappointing signing on 16:45 - Feb 2 with 1066 viewsWeWereZombies

David Kerslake comes to mind, expected him to resurrect his career at Portman Road but the opposite happened.

I didn't even know about the signing of Sereni when I was on holiday and managed to catch highlights of the first game of the season on Match of the Day but I expected so much more of a goalkeeper at Premiership level than he delivered.

Had great hopes of John Scales too but I guess I didn't take his age and injuries into account.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Most disappointing signing on 17:00 - Feb 2 with 1049 viewschicoazul

Most disappointing signing on 14:29 - Feb 2 by Coastalblue

Another that springs to mid is Adrian Paz, did we not spin him as a million pound players and in reality it was £200K or something?

He looked like a little boy lost at times, and then when the mullet went it all went downhill. Mind you the other bloke that arrived with him did alright, though after his first game I never thought I'd see him in a Town shirt again.

Ah but no Paz, no Treacle.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Most disappointing signing on 17:11 - Feb 2 with 1038 viewsDouble_Dutch

Most disappointing signing on 14:29 - Feb 2 by Coastalblue

Lee Martin for me, total waste of money on a very overpriced and average player. Seem to recall Martin being on loan to a number of clubs prior to joining Town, when appearing for these clubs in televised games, commentators very quick to point out his speed and ability with the keynote, Man Utd graduate, never could see what the hype was all about.

Was going to add Chapman and Paz, but can see they have both been previously mentioned.

To add a name from a previous generation, Kevin O'Callaghan arriving with fanfare, one for the future, from Millwall, this from a time when transfers made by Town were few and far between and budgets were tight, didn't turn out as planned.
Most disappointing signing on 17:18 - Feb 2 with 1032 viewsnoggin

Brekke Skard. Wtf was that all about?

Alan Judge.
[Post edited 2 Feb 2021 17:19]

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024