Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone that had a relative played for Town? 12:17 - Feb 22 with 5846 viewsIP4_Blue

My grandad played for Town in the 50's I still got his players pass before he passed away in 2003, remember my dad getting a card signed by Sheepshanks he was so taken back from it
Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 12:19 - Feb 22 with 3174 viewsSteve_M

Who was your grandad?

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 12:21 - Feb 22 with 3161 viewsitfcpaul

My wife's father didn't play for Town but did play nearly 300 games in his goalkeeping career, he played with Sheffield United, Chesterfield, Scunthorpe United, Barnsley (where he played over 200 games), he finished his career with Matlock Town having also played for Boston United, so a bit of a good run in the late 60's to mid late 70's

He replaced Ray Clemence at Scunthorpe United when he left to join Liverpool, didn't stay there long and then went to Barnsley where he played at the top of his career in Division one, his name was Brian Arblaster if anyone is interested

He probably played against Town but never really looked into it, bit who knows..
[Post edited 22 Feb 2021 12:22]

Poll: Who would you want as Ipswich manager in November. there aren't many candidates

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 12:26 - Feb 22 with 3116 viewscatch74

I think my great great grandfather played one game, in 1921. He was also mayor of Ipswich!

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 12:26 - Feb 22 with 3115 viewsSarge

My cousin is Brian Talbot. I think.

Some permutation of cousin anyway. But he’s 40 years older than me and I’ve never met him!
Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 12:31 - Feb 22 with 3083 viewsRadlett_blue

The father of a friend of mine, called Denzil Flanagan, was an England amateur international left winger whom Town signed from Walthamstow Avenue after playing them in the FA Cup in 1953. I think he was also an England hockey international. I don't think he played in a League game for the Town first XI & then he moved on to play amateur football for Tooting & Mitcham & was part of their famous FA Cup run in 1959, when they nearly beat eventual winners Nottingham Forest. He later played for Chelmsford City & was a PE teacher in Clacton.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 12:32 - Feb 22 with 3064 viewsIP4_Blue

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 12:19 - Feb 22 by Steve_M

Who was your grandad?

Basil Pipe you have probably never heard of him though!
Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 12:33 - Feb 22 with 3059 viewswkj

Bobby Robson bought a washing machine from my Mum as he was just getting started at Town. - So effectively, I am related to him now as he was inside the house I hadn't been born into yet.

We also bought a Golden Retriever from the same litter George Burley got one from. He originally wanted the one we took home but had a last minute change of heart - so the woman that sold us the dog said.

Edit: I just re-read the above and am not implying Bobby Robson is my dad after a sorded second hand sale of a washing machine. I just meant he was in the house I grew up in before I was born.
[Post edited 22 Feb 2021 12:38]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 12:35 - Feb 22 with 3061 viewsnoggin

Nothing to do with the OP but a funny story all the same. I was with some forces mates in a pub in Cheltenham, around 1989. An old fellow, who looked down on his luck, was sitting in the corner and had made his half pint last a while. While I was playing pool, one of my mates went over to talk with him. He then comes over to me and tells me that the old fellow played for Ipswich many years ago. He was Scottish and I think called himself John Robertson. Of course, I bought him a few drinks and after a while he went happily on his way.
I later found out, there was no John Robertson playing at the time he said he had played. Seems my mate and the old man had devised a plan to get him a couple of free pints at my expense. Cheeky beggars.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 12:36 - Feb 22 with 3034 viewscatch74

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 12:33 - Feb 22 by wkj

Bobby Robson bought a washing machine from my Mum as he was just getting started at Town. - So effectively, I am related to him now as he was inside the house I hadn't been born into yet.

We also bought a Golden Retriever from the same litter George Burley got one from. He originally wanted the one we took home but had a last minute change of heart - so the woman that sold us the dog said.

Edit: I just re-read the above and am not implying Bobby Robson is my dad after a sorded second hand sale of a washing machine. I just meant he was in the house I grew up in before I was born.
[Post edited 22 Feb 2021 12:38]

Is that a euphemism and are you the chosen one, son of our greatest, nurtured in private and now ready to lead us all to glory?

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 12:37 - Feb 22 with 3031 viewsIP4_Blue

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 12:35 - Feb 22 by noggin

Nothing to do with the OP but a funny story all the same. I was with some forces mates in a pub in Cheltenham, around 1989. An old fellow, who looked down on his luck, was sitting in the corner and had made his half pint last a while. While I was playing pool, one of my mates went over to talk with him. He then comes over to me and tells me that the old fellow played for Ipswich many years ago. He was Scottish and I think called himself John Robertson. Of course, I bought him a few drinks and after a while he went happily on his way.
I later found out, there was no John Robertson playing at the time he said he had played. Seems my mate and the old man had devised a plan to get him a couple of free pints at my expense. Cheeky beggars.

ha ha!
Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 12:42 - Feb 22 with 2991 viewsnodge_blue

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 12:32 - Feb 22 by IP4_Blue

He smoked all the defenders.

Thats cool your Grandad played for the club. I'd treasure that.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 12:43 - Feb 22 with 2984 viewshatch

Not a relative but my elderly babysitter as a kid was James Scowcroft's godmother.

[Post edited 22 Feb 2021 12:45]
Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 12:51 - Feb 22 with 2936 viewsIP4_Blue

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 12:42 - Feb 22 by nodge_blue

He smoked all the defenders.

Thats cool your Grandad played for the club. I'd treasure that.

very good!

Yes I do like I said i've still got his Town players pass and he's the reason we are Town fans he was born and bread Ipswich before moving to Essex which is where i'm from but been living in Ipswich last 7 years now
Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 12:59 - Feb 22 with 2900 viewsdavblue

I do, had a subs appearance under Joe Royle and is still playing in the football league.
Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 13:00 - Feb 22 with 2898 viewsVic

A cousin of mine scored in the FA cup final! Well, my mums cousinbut near enough to claim it!
[Post edited 22 Feb 2021 13:00]

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 13:03 - Feb 22 with 2861 viewsTrumptonBlue

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 12:32 - Feb 22 by IP4_Blue

*Checks The Men Who Made The Town*

Was he pulling your leg?
Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 13:20 - Feb 22 with 2799 viewsWestover

My Uncle played for Ipswich from 1951 to 1960 Alf Ramsey made him Captain unfortunately he was injured playing against Swansea and had to retire so missed out playing the season Town won the div 1 title.
Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 13:25 - Feb 22 with 2772 viewsdickie

One of my best mates is the cousin of Stuart Slater... I regularly send him a link to this site when SS is described as one of our worst ever players
[Post edited 22 Feb 2021 13:49]
Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 13:27 - Feb 22 with 2756 viewsjeera

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 13:03 - Feb 22 by TrumptonBlue

Was he pulling your leg?

Nothing on Wiki either.

Hmm, I wonder if it was only basil in that pipe after all?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 13:30 - Feb 22 with 2742 viewsIP4_Blue

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 13:03 - Feb 22 by TrumptonBlue

Was he pulling your leg?

Nope he wasn't pulling my leg
Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 13:30 - Feb 22 with 2714 viewsPJH

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 13:20 - Feb 22 by Westover

My Uncle played for Ipswich from 1951 to 1960 Alf Ramsey made him Captain unfortunately he was injured playing against Swansea and had to retire so missed out playing the season Town won the div 1 title.

Reg Pickett was my first thought but time scale not right.

Neil Myles perhaps?
Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 13:30 - Feb 22 with 2737 viewsfooters

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 13:27 - Feb 22 by jeera

Nothing on Wiki either.

Probably just a pipedream.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 13:32 - Feb 22 with 2734 viewsIP4_Blue

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 13:27 - Feb 22 by jeera

Nothing on Wiki either.

Only played a handful of times not like 100's of games.

I have his Town players pass
Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 13:33 - Feb 22 with 2703 viewsPJH

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 13:30 - Feb 22 by IP4_Blue

Nope he wasn't pulling my leg

I looked through some ITFC handbooks from 1950's and cannot find any reserve appearances, certainly no first team ones.

Not suggesting he was pulling your leg but certainly no first team appearances under that name.
Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 13:36 - Feb 22 with 2702 viewscatch74

Anyone that had a relative played for Town? on 12:26 - Feb 22 by catch74

I think my great great grandfather played one game, in 1921. He was also mayor of Ipswich!

Got it wrong - he was reserves 1893/4 and played 1899/ 1900!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024